Do we need prophets, today?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mark Balicki

Jun 6, 2020
IRON MOUNTAIN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do we need prophets when we have the bible? Well, the simple answer is it is one of the gifts Jesus gave to the church to help equip us until He returns. (Ephesians 4: 9-16)

There are many attributes to this gift and one of them covered in this video is timing. Will you listen? Will you prepare and be ready? God uses prophets to tell us what time it is. Another way of saying it is -Do you know what time it is? And will you be ready?

Hey honey, "Do you know all the money you borrowed and gambled away, well the bill is coming due to pay it back! what are you going to do about it?"

Do we need prophets?
What other useful attributes of a prophet have you thought of?
Or do we need Jesus’s ministry at all today or can we each go it on our own? What do think?
Here’s a short video on some thoughts on that subject I made.

https://youtu.be/TZP3lDcPhQ8

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hy do we need prophets when we have the bible? Well, the simple answer is it is one of the gifts Jesus gave to the church to help equip us until He returns. (Ephesians 4: 9-16)

There are many attributes to this gift and one of them covered in this video is timing. Will you listen? Will you prepare and be ready? God uses prophets to tell us what time it is. Another way of saying it is -Do you know what time it is? And will you be ready?

Hey honey, "Do you know all the money you borrowed and gambled away, well the bill is coming due to pay it back! what are you going to do about it?"

Do we need prophets?
Or do we need Jesus’s ministry at all today or can we each go it on our own? What do think?

Haven't watched your video yet, but I appreciate the apparent theme.

Thanks for sharing your stuff on our forum.
Hidden

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What became of all those "prophets" who claimed that Trump would win a second term?? the very ones who persisted
even after the election that Trump would still win?? I don't seem to recall any recanting or even statements made about
their lack of accuracy?? Not being mean here... but truly ... What is the purpose of a prophet in this day and age...
@Hidden In Him ... I deeply respect you and I love your humility... so I would be open to hear what you have to say about
this.
I do believe we need wisdom (extra doses even ) when trying to decipher the book of revelation... but I think far too many people
refer themselves as God's anointed when in all reality... the only thing that seems to be anointed is their EGO. LOL

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What became of all those "prophets" who claimed that Trump would win a second term?? the very ones who persisted
even after the election that Trump would still win?? I don't seem to recall any recanting or even statements made about
their lack of accuracy?? Not being mean here... but truly ... What is the purpose of a prophet in this day and age...
@Hidden In Him ... I deeply respect you and I love your humility... so I would be open to hear what you have to say about
this.

Good morning, Addy!

Yeah, I think some of them are still clinging to hope that he will come back in 2024, but I put very little stock in that. This was a long and drawn out discussion at the time. As an interpreter, I was arguing at the time that I thought some of them were actually misinterpreting what they were seeing/hearing, and didn't interpret things properly. I had a sister whose dreams clearly suggested he would lose and he did. In fact, the dream highlighted the fact that he would be driven to the hospital around the time of the election, and Trump's bout with Covid and the medications he was on are in fact what I think cost him the election, because his first debate with Biden was just monstrous. He came off SO bad that I think any swing vote that was still out there swung heavily to Biden, and this paved the way for the ensuing voter fraud scandal and all that to come into play...

Don't want to open up a political can of worms again because this community suffered for it. But my simple answer is that with many of them I believe God may have indeed humbled them. It's a good thing. I could add that while I have been right in many of my interpretations before, I too have been humbled as of late by not realizing that a collection of dreams I received were saying one thing when they were actually saying something else, although stunningly accurate now that I'm looking back on everything. So yeah, I try not to take too heavy a line on people, in spite of their blowing it sometimes. I have come to realize just how easy it can be to miss it. "Seeing through a glass darkly," as it is called, is no easy business.
I do believe we need wisdom (extra doses even ) when trying to decipher the book of revelation... but I think far too many people
refer themselves as God's anointed when in all reality... the only thing that seems to be anointed is their EGO. LOL

LoL!

Reactions: amadeus

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I hold them accountable for much of the strife and confusion that was caused.... but... LOL... That means nothing...

Little old Addy.... trusts NO one... and admires few.... You are on my GOOD list....

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hold them accountable for much of the strife and confusion that was caused.... but... LOL... That means nothing...

Little old Addy.... trusts NO one... and admires few.... You are on my GOOD list....

Well how nice of you! :)

I'm usually pretty amazed when someone tells me I'm on their good list, because there's unfortunately a side to me that can be a bit of a headhunter, Lol. But I honesty mean no one harm. Just trying to do the best with the hand I was dealt. :rolleyes:

Thank you, Addy. That was a wonderful thing of you to say. ;)

Hope you have a blessed day!
- H

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You came to my defence when I FIRST joined the forums... I took note of that... because it really was a knightly thing to do...
I have read how you communicate with others... and like I said... I love your humility.... it is greatly lacking in this place... so
when one displays it... it radiates. Ditto to the nice day.... @Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You came to my defence when I FIRST joined the forums... I took note of that... because it really was a knightly thing to do...

Chivalry is not dead, Lol.

Chivalry-e1376605087223.jpg

Reactions: Nancy

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well... you just insulted my friend Mr. Pig... but I have "corrected" you... so we are still good... HAHA...
I think I am finally learning the ropes of this dog eat dog place. Humour goes a long way.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To the question, no.
With all the wolves in televised pulpits today, how could we trust anyone claiming to be a prophet?

The prophecies are in both Old and New Testaments. I believe as those are fulfilled more and more, we shall arrive at the final one. All in God's good time.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well... you just insulted my friend Mr. Pig... but I have "corrected" you... so we are still good... HAHA...
I think I am finally learning the ropes of this dog eat dog place. Humour goes a long way.

Absolutely it does, Lol.

It gets serious at times... well, most of the time. But I try not to take things too seriously if I can at all help it. Lord knows I have my "moments," so the more fun and light-hearted ones I can have the better, LoL.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A prophet ( a real one) is a servant of God, to help guide His people are at 100% necessary. Their primary role is guides to help people understand Him and better come to Him. They don't replace Him at all, nor do they seek fancy spotlights, nor is their primary role that of a future-tellers. Don't trust somebody just because they say they are one, but rather you yourself get evaluation directly from God on the matter.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why do we need prophets when we have the bible?
No. We do not need prophets when we have the Bible. Anyone claiming to be a prophet today is simply a false prophet. Joseph Smith is a good example. Ellen G. White is another. Both of them had many false teaching which were incorporated into their churches. Then we have William Branham with his crazy ideas. So if the Bible is not sufficient for you, then you simply want your ears tickled.

The valid spiritual gifts today are (1) evangelists, (2) pastors, and (3) teachers. Unfortunately too many are failing to hold fast to the true Gospel and sound Bible doctrine. And too many are getting ensnared in Five Point Calvinism.

Reactions: friend of

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. We do not need prophets when we have the Bible. Anyone claiming to be a prophet today is simply a false prophet. Joseph Smith is a good example. Ellen G. White is another. Both of them had many false teaching which were incorporated into their churches. Then we have William Branham with his crazy ideas. So if the Bible is not sufficient for you, then you simply want your ears tickled.

The valid spiritual gifts today are (1) evangelists, (2) pastors, and (3) teachers. Unfortunately too many are failing to hold fast to the true Gospel and sound Bible doctrine. And too many are getting ensnared in Five Point Calvinism.
If that were true, why does scripture not say "there shall be no more prophets?
Instead it says be ware of false prophets (implying that there are also good ones) and the book of Revelation does indeed tell of prophets in the last days?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That is already IMPLIED in the book of Revelation: For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: (Rev 22:18)

To add unto these things means to bring new prophecies to Christians. But Revelation is a book of prophecy as well as the final prophetic and NT book. So the apostle John has placed a bar against further prophets and prophecies. As a result none of the Apostolic or Early Church Fathers ever claimed to be prophets.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is already IMPLIED in the book of Revelation: For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: (Rev 22:18)

To add unto these things means to bring new prophecies to Christians. But Revelation is a book of prophecy as well as the final prophetic and NT book. So the apostle John has placed a bar against further prophets and prophecies. As a result none of the Apostolic or Early Church Fathers ever claimed to be prophets.
Totally disagree with that interpretation.

Mark Balicki

Jun 6, 2020
IRON MOUNTAIN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Instead it says be ware of false prophets (implying that there are also good ones) and the book of Revelation does indeed tell of prophets in the last days?
Good comment Yeah, unfortunately most only want half of Jesus Ministry.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do believe that the gift of prophecy has not ceased in the body of Christ.

I, at one time, thought that I had the gift of prophecy and tried my hand at making predictions.

I found that I do not have the gift of prophecy; although one of my predictions did stunningly come true to the 't' (I prophesied that there would be a famine in Argentina and it came to pass).

I also prophesied that the year 2021 would be known as "the year of discrimination". I don't think that that one even has any validity; it seems that the opposite is coming to be the reality for whatever reason....unless it was speaking of discrimination that is yet to come on people other than African Americans....such as believers in Christ or Trump supporters.

So, I have learned the reality that I am no prophet and that prophecy is not my spiritual gift. I tried it and failed.

While I do know that the presbytery laid hands on me and prophesied that I have the gift of "the word of wisdom".

With that in mind, I will continue on according to the spiritual gift that I know that I do have.

I will wage warfare according to the prophecies that were spoken over me with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery (1 Timothy 1:18, 1 Timothy 4:14).

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do we need prophets when we have the bible? Well, the simple answer is it is one of the gifts Jesus gave to the church to help equip us until He returns. (Ephesians 4: 9-16)

Do we need prophets?

I rarely watch videos posted on here but felt God telling me to give it a listen. Very good message.

The Bible states that he will pour his spirit out on his people in the last days. It would be foolish to believe that the end of days that God wouldn't speak through his people- considering that we know what the gift of prophecy is for - edifying and encouragement for building up the body of Christ before his return.

In the same way, the blank page in the Bible between the New Testament and the Old Testament represents 400 years of silence. Then suddenly, John the Baptist prepares the way.

If you believe in the end times, you must believe in prophecy.

I had a lot of struggle on my journey and I had a LOT of testing, so naturally I became a skeptic and labeling everything as evil, followed the Strange Fire thing for a while but later realized that I had to consider that teachers like John MacArthur and Todd Friel (sp?) were teaching something that is spoken in the Bible "Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away."

That is not to say that we shouldn't be careful that we aren't deceived because there is certainly a spiritual war at hand.

Be wise as serpents and gentle as doves; stand firm with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, tread carefully, and let your words be filled with wisdom and seasoned with grace.

Reactions: Mark Balicki