Do you believe Jesus has given you the Holy Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
[SIZE=16pt]Do you believe Jesus has given you the Holy Spirit? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]If so why?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]What evidence do you have that you have the Holy Spirit if you believe you do? [/SIZE]

Reactions: aspen

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
Johnlove said:
[SIZE=16pt]Do you believe Jesus has given you the Holy Spirit? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]If so why? [/SIZE]
No, I do not believe Jesus has given me the Holy Spirit.
And thanks for the large print ... my eyes are tired.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth. My Pastor preaches the Truth, and I read the Truth that is in the Bible. They both line up and are in harmony. So yes. I have received and learned Truth. Thus, Jesus has given me the Holy Spirit.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because God promised to give his Holy Spirit to all who believe, repent and are baptized.

And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself."

I trust in God's promises. I do not need further "evidence" except the process of sanctification that God has been accomplishing in my life.

Reactions: justaname

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 4
1Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.
4You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

The One John speaks of is the Holy Spirit...the Holy Spirit always exults Jesus.

Many verses verify what Wormwood presents...

Ephesians 1:13-14
13And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

Galatians 3:13-14
13Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.”h14He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

Yes I have the Holy Spirit dwelling in me because God promised it. The evidence is in the Scriptures and lived out in faith.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
Wormwood said:
Because God promised to give his Holy Spirit to all who believe, repent and are baptized.

And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself."

I trust in God's promises. I do not need further "evidence" except the process of sanctification that God has been accomplishing in my life.
[SIZE=16pt]Yes and Peter did not tell, in that scripture just when one would receive the Holy Spirit.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](Acts 8: 14-17) “When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, and they went down there and prayed for them to receive the Holy Spirit, for as yet he had not come down on any of them: they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Notice scripture that the Holy Spirit had not come down on those who had only been baptized in Jesus’ name.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Also does it say anywhere in scripture that when one receives the Holy Spirit it is an indwelling of the Holy Spirit?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Also do you believe that God would dwell in the same house as the devil?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]If one still sins then he or she are of the devil. And God will not dwell in such a person.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](1 John 3:8) “He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Also Jesus told us that those who obeyed his commandments, that he and the Father would make a home in them.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Sinning is not keeping God’s commandments.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](John 14: 23) “Anyone who loves me will keep my word and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him and make a home in him.” [/SIZE]

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, I'll be the one to give my story. Yes!!!!! When I turned my life over to Christ, I mean handed him the keys and gave Him the steering wheel, I could feel it! I went from being bitter, judgmental, self destructive and self absorbed to having an overwhelming feeling of love. I had never felt anything like this before. I suddenly saw everyone different. Event those who hurt me, I would love, and understand their sin. Before, I would usually set out to destroy them if they hurt me. I wanted to tell everyone about the love of Christ and how it could heal their broken hearts and bring them a joy that passes understanding!!!

So, yes. I prayed for the Holy Spirit to touch me and dwell in me and for Christ to make a home in my heart. And He did!!!

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
Born_Again said:
Okay, I'll be the one to give my story. Yes!!!!! When I turned my life over to Christ, I mean handed him the keys and gave Him the steering wheel, I could feel it! I went from being bitter, judgmental, self destructive and self absorbed to having an overwhelming feeling of love. I had never felt anything like this before. I suddenly saw everyone different. Event those who hurt me, I would love, and understand their sin. Before, I would usually set out to destroy them if they hurt me. I wanted to tell everyone about the love of Christ and how it could heal their broken hearts and bring them a joy that passes understanding!!!

So, yes. I prayed for the Holy Spirit to touch me and dwell in me and for Christ to make a home in my heart. And He did!!!
[SIZE=16pt]Yes it is only with the grace of God can one stop sinning. That is also the only true way one can be sure he or she is being led by the Holy Spirit.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Yet I don’t believe one has an indwelling of the Holy Spirit until he or she is living all of God’s commandments. That does not mean one does not have the Holy Spirit guiding, and giving him or her the grace to obey God.[/SIZE]

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johnlove said:
[SIZE=16pt]Yes it is only with the grace of God can one stop sinning. That is also the only true way one can be sure he or she is being led by the Holy Spirit.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Yet I don’t believe one has an indwelling of the Holy Spirit until he or she is living all of God’s commandments. That does not mean one does not have the Holy Spirit guiding, and giving him or her the grace to obey God.[/SIZE]
Well, if that's the case, then I am "led" by the Holy Spirit. As I still stumble from time to time..... So, my question back to you then is, If the Holy Spirit doesn't dwell in you, then how do you account for the sense of joy, enlightenment etc,.... I feel that comes from the inside out. I could be wrong here but I am interested in your responses. I might learn something.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
Born_Again said:
Well, if that's the case, then I am "led" by the Holy Spirit. As I still stumble from time to time..... So, my question back to you then is, If the Holy Spirit doesn't dwell in you, then how do you account for the sense of joy, enlightenment etc,.... I feel that comes from the inside out. I could be wrong here but I am interested in your responses. I might learn something.
[SIZE=16pt]Feelings are not reliable. I believe feelings can and often are manipulated by the devil.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]The only true test of the Holy Spirit is fruit produced. Notice what Paul said about having the Holy Spirit. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Yes some of the fruits produced are feelings, but self-control is the good fruit needed. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]This is what tells a person if it is God who is giving one the feelings of love, joy, peace. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Galatians 5:18-23) “But when you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law. When self-indulgence is at work the results are obvious: sexual vice, impurity, and sensuality, the worship of false gods and sorcery; antagonisms and rivalry, jealousy, bad temper and quarrels, disagreements, factions and malice, drunkenness, orgies and all such things. And about these, I tell you now as I have told you in the past, that people who behave in these ways will not inherit the kingdom of God. On the other hand the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, trustfulness, gentleness and self-control; no law can touch such things as these.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]I believe infants in Christ are those who have been baptized in Jesus’ name, and have received the Holy Spirit, but still commit sin. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]But having the Holy Spirit does not mean that the Holy Spirit is dwelling in him or her.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]One receiving the Holy Spirit does not all of a sudden become holy. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]One has to be taught to know God, and to be given the grace to live God’s Commandments first. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](1 Corinthians 3:1-3) “Brothers, I myself was unable to speak to you as people of the Spirit; I treated you as sensual men, still infants in Christ. What I fed you with was milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for it; and indeed, you are still not ready for it since you are still unspiritual. Isn’t that obvious from all the jealousy and wrangling that there is among you, from the way that you go on behaving like ordinary people? “[/SIZE]

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johnlove said:
[SIZE=16pt]Feelings are not reliable. I believe feelings can and often are manipulated by the devil.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]The only true test of the Holy Spirit is fruit produced. Notice what Paul said about having the Holy Spirit. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Yes some of the fruits produced are feelings, but self-control is the good fruit needed. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]This is what tells a person if it is God who is giving one the feelings of love, joy, peace. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Galatians 5:18-23) “But when you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law. When self-indulgence is at work the results are obvious: sexual vice, impurity, and sensuality, the worship of false gods and sorcery; antagonisms and rivalry, jealousy, bad temper and quarrels, disagreements, factions and malice, drunkenness, orgies and all such things. And about these, I tell you now as I have told you in the past, that people who behave in these ways will not inherit the kingdom of God. On the other hand the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, trustfulness, gentleness and self-control; no law can touch such things as these.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]I believe infants in Christ are those who have been baptized in Jesus’ name, and have received the Holy Spirit, but still commit sin. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]But having the Holy Spirit does not mean that the Holy Spirit is dwelling in him or her.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]One receiving the Holy Spirit does not all of a sudden become holy. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]One has to be taught to know God, and to be given the grace to live God’s Commandments first. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](1 Corinthians 3:1-3) “Brothers, I myself was unable to speak to you as people of the Spirit; I treated you as sensual men, still infants in Christ. What I fed you with was milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for it; and indeed, you are still not ready for it since you are still unspiritual. Isn’t that obvious from all the jealousy and wrangling that there is among you, from the way that you go on behaving like ordinary people? “[/SIZE]
Okay, that makes a lot more sense. I see that everyday. Thank you for the clarification. The self indulgence is a thing I have done in the past and currently having to watch a loved one suffer through. Thank you!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Johnlove said:

How does one receive the Holy Spirit, but not have him indwelling? When you receive the Holy Spirit where does he go?

I think rather the indwelling Holy Spirit is given at the moment of conversion. Then the Holy Spirit works within for sanctification. Yet it is possible to ignore the Holy Spirit, and not let him do his work. These are Christians that are in danger.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
lforrest said:
How does one receive the Holy Spirit, but not have him indwelling? When you receive the Holy Spirit where does he go?

I think rather the indwelling Holy Spirit is given at the moment of conversion. Then the Holy Spirit works within for sanctification. Yet it is possible to ignore the Holy Spirit, and not let him do his work. These are Christians that are in danger.
[SIZE=16pt]The Holy Spirit is with us, not in us. God is not going to share a home with the devil. It is just an assumption to believe it is an indwelling of the Holy Spirit.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]A person who is not living God’s commandments, which means he or she is a sinner, and of the devil will never be a home of God’s[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](1 John 3:8) “He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Jesus told us that when one lives God’s commandments that he and the Father would make a home in a person. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one. If Jesus would not share a home with the devil then neither will the Holy Spirit.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](John 14: 23) “Anyone who loves me will keep my word and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him and make a home in him.”[/SIZE]

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The Holy Spirit dwells within the believer he is not hanging around us.

John 14:17
the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.

John 17
20 “I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; 21 that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.

Romans 8:9
But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

Romans 8
But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

1 Corinthians 3
16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.

Reactions: Born_Again

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Um........what does that even mean? Your OP is meaningless - sorry, but true. Why would God withhold Himself from anyone?

Axehead

May 9, 2012
These are some reasons how you can know you have the Spirit of God.

Because the Holy Ghost leads you to put to death the deeds of the flesh. Because, you receive the word in affliction with joy. He presses you inwardly to come out of Babylon and stay out of Babylon. You seek after fellowship with spirit-filled believers and separate yourself from the world. You are happy when reproached for the name of Christ and you don't have a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind. And, you have love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness and faith.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
Angelina said:
The Holy Spirit dwells within the believer he is not hanging around us.

John 14:17
the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.

John 17
20 “I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; 21 that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.

Romans 8:9
But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

Romans 8
But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

1 Corinthians 3
16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.
[SIZE=16pt]The Holy Spirit is one with God, and is God. Jesus said God would make a home in those who proved they loved him by living God’s Commandments. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt](John 14: 23) “Anyone who loves me will keep my word and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him and make a home in him.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](John 14: 21) “Anybody who receives my commandments and keeps them will be one who loves me; and anybody who loves me will be loved by My Father, and I shall love him and show myself to him.” [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]God’s home is the kingdom of God, and a sinner, one who does not live God’s Commandments will never enter the kingdom of heaven.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](1 Corinthians 6:9-19) “You know perfectly well that people who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God: people of immoral lives, idolaters, adulterers, catamites, sodomites, thieves, usurers, drunkards, slanders and swindlers will never inherit the kingdom of God.”[/SIZE]

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
Johnlove said:
The Holy Spirit is with us, not in us. God is not going to share a home with the devil.
It is just an assumption to believe it is an indwelling of the Holy Spirit.
Would you care to see the many verses where Paul says the Holy Spirit is inside BACs?
Not only that, but Jesus said the Holy Spirit would be with and in BACs forever (John 14:16-17).
Please do not place your unfounded personal opinions ahead of Scripture.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
evangelist-7 said:
Would you care to see the many verses where Paul says the Holy Spirit is inside BACs?
Not only that, but Jesus said the Holy Spirit would be with and in BACs forever (John 14:16-17).
evangelist-7 said:
[SIZE=16pt]Yes you show me where anyone who still sinned had the indwelling of God.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Paul told us that those who still sinned were infants in Christ, and not yet spiritual.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Don’t you believe for one to be spiritual that means he or she has to have the indwelling of God?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Why can’t you address the scripture that has been quoted by me? Do that instead of just posting your opinion. [/SIZE]