Do you know the real Jesus ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Below we see there are false christs, another jesus, antichrists, false prophets with false christs etc......

How do we know we have the right Jesus ?

What do you use to determine that you believe in the real Jesus ?

Can belief in a false christ save you ?

Matthew 24:24

For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders that would deceive even the elect, if that were possible.

Mark 13:22

For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

Acts 4:12

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

2 Corinthians 11:4

For if someone comes and proclaims a Jesus other than the One we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit than the One you received, or a different gospel than the one you accepted, you put up with it way too easily.

You happily put up with whatever anyone tells you, even if they preach a different Jesus than the one we preach, or a different kind of Spirit than the one you received, or a different kind of gospel than the one you believed. NLT

1 John 2:18

Children, it is the last hour; and just as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have appeared. This is how we know it is the last hour.

hope this helps !!!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the question is how do we know the Truth from a Lie concerning the Person of Christ ?

He often asked who do people say that I Am ?

The Apostles in their writings identify who He is in many places.

The Jewish leaders also tried to stone Him several times for His claims.

What were those claims ?

Reactions: Nancy

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jhn 8:24, I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.
Jhn 8:25, Then said they unto him, Who art thou? And Jesus saith unto them, Even the same that I said unto you from the beginning.
Jhn 8:26, I have many things to say and to judge of you: but he that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of him.

Jhn 8:27, They understood not that he spake to them of the Father.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the question is how do we know the Truth from a Lie concerning the Person of Christ ?

He often asked who do people say that I Am ?

The Apostles in their writings identify who He is in many places.

The Jewish leaders also tried to stone Him several times for His claims.

What were those claims ?

Hello Christophany,
It seems that the only true way to be able to tell the difference is in the maturity of the Christian. And practicing His ways so as to grow enough to discern the true Jesus.

"27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:"
John 10:27

Hebrews 5:14
"But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil."

Jesus claimed to be the Son of God, He claimed to have all authority on earth to forgive sin. And of course, His miracles spoke for themselves.
:)

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Below we see there are false christs, another jesus, antichrists, false prophets with false christs etc......

I remember years ago when I got, for a short time, into a false Christian cult. I never thought that could happen to me--embarrassing! But I got back up, brushed myself off, and proceeded to study the Scriptures, so it wouldn't happen again.

Today, the battle is still raging in my mind. I've seen many prophecies within my own Pentecostal brethren, who I've come to completely distrust. Many of these prophecies appear to be false, but the full verdict isn't in yet. But clearly, there are problems, and I don't really need more Scripture study. I just need to have the humility to plead with God for help in exercising discernment.

The weird thing, years ago, was when I realized that the supernatural is also at work in other religions and in false Christian cults. I always thought the supernatural only happened in Christianity. But it isn't difficult for spirits to pretend to be religious and powerful, to say things that appear good and true, but which are actually false spirits.

It was quite a revelation to me, and I now take a 2nd look at any group, even if they seem to have spiritual power. Just as I cautiously scrutinize "good works" people, I now look with suspicion at "spiritual" people of "power," as well. A sense of "power" that claims to be the Holy Spirit is not necessarily the Holy Spirit!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How do we know we have the right Jesus ?

What do you use to determine that you believe in the real Jesus ?

Can belief in a false christ save you ?

Matthew 24:24

For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders that would deceive even the elect, if that were possible.

Mark 13:22

For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect.

Acts 4:12

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

2 Corinthians 11:4

For if someone comes and proclaims a Jesus other than the One we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit than the One you received, or a different gospel than the one you accepted, you put up with it way too easily.

You happily put up with whatever anyone tells you, even if they preach a different Jesus than the one we preach, or a different kind of Spirit than the one you received, or a different kind of gospel than the one you believed. NLT

1 John 2:18

Children, it is the last hour; and just as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have appeared. This is how we know it is the last hour.

hope this helps !!!
Nobody is saved by their ability to pass a theology test. The child who knows/understands little is just as saved as the great scholar. Let’s remember that.

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nobody is saved by their ability to pass a theology test. The child who knows/understands little is just as saved as the great scholar. Let’s remember that.
However, if you have a different Jesus than the Jesus of the Bible, or a different spirit, or a different gospel, beware lest you have been deceived by the serpent's subtilty (2 Corinthians 11:3-4).

Reactions: ChristisGod

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However, if you have a different Jesus than the Jesus of the Bible, or a different spirit, or a different gospel, beware lest you have been deceived by the serpent's subtilty (2 Corinthians 11:3-4).
And Galatians 1:6-9

I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember years ago when I got, for a short time, into a false Christian cult. I never thought that could happen to me--embarrassing! But I got back up, brushed myself off, and proceeded to study the Scriptures, so it wouldn't happen again.

Today, the battle is still raging in my mind. I've seen many prophecies within my own Pentecostal brethren, who I've come to completely distrust. Many of these prophecies appear to be false, but the full verdict isn't in yet. But clearly, there are problems, and I don't really need more Scripture study. I just need to have the humility to plead with God for help in exercising discernment.

The weird thing, years ago, was when I realized that the supernatural is also at work in other religions and in false Christian cults. I always thought the supernatural only happened in Christianity. But it isn't difficult for spirits to pretend to be religious and powerful, to say things that appear good and true, but which are actually false spirits.

It was quite a revelation to me, and I now take a 2nd look at any group, even if they seem to have spiritual power. Just as I cautiously scrutinize "good works" people, I now look with suspicion at "spiritual" people of "power," as well. A sense of "power" that claims to be the Holy Spirit is not necessarily the Holy Spirit!
yes there are miracles,signs and wonders to deceive people from satan and his false prophets

Matthew 24:23-27
Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There he is!’ do not believe it.24 For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.25 See, I have told you beforehand. 26 So, if they say to you, ‘Look, he is in the wilderness,’ do not go out. If they say, ‘Look, he is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. 27 For as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man

2 Thessalonians 2:1-12
Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers and sisters, 2 not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by the teaching allegedly from us—whether by a prophecy or by word of mouth or by letter—asserting that the day of the Lord has already come. 3 Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. 4 He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.

5 Don’t you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things? 6 And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. 7 For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way. 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming. 9 The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, 10 and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11 For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie 12 and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

Revelation 13:13-14
He performs great signs, so that he even makes fire come down out of heaven to the earth in the presence of men. 14 And he deceives those who dwell on the earth because of the signs which it was given him to perform in the presence of the beast, telling those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the beast who *had the wound of the sword and has come to life.

hope this helps !!!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And Galatians 1:6-9

I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!
Which is not to say that they will necessarily be cursed for ever (because the Lord may even bring them back from the brink of disaster); but it is to say that we ought not to engage with them in order to try and convert them (in order that they might be saved). It is better to leave them alone because they might pull you down into their deceptive web of understanding. In this it may appear that you don't care about their eternal well-being....but Paul here says, "Let them be accursed rather than engage with them and be deceived by their line of thinking."

Romans 16:17 is a parallel passage that says essentially the same thing.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes there are miracles,signs and wonders to deceive people from satan and his false prophets

Matthew 24:23-27
Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There he is!’ do not believe it.24 For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.25 See, I have told you beforehand. 26 So, if they say to you, ‘Look, he is in the wilderness,’ do not go out. If they say, ‘Look, he is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. 27 For as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man

2 Thessalonians 2:1-12
Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers and sisters, 2 not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by the teaching allegedly from us—whether by a prophecy or by word of mouth or by letter—asserting that the day of the Lord has already come. 3 Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. 4 He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.

5 Don’t you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things? 6 And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. 7 For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way. 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming. 9 The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, 10 and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11 For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie 12 and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

Revelation 13:13-14
He performs great signs, so that he even makes fire come down out of heaven to the earth in the presence of men. 14 And he deceives those who dwell on the earth because of the signs which it was given him to perform in the presence of the beast, telling those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the beast who *had the wound of the sword and has come to life.

hope this helps !!!
Also Revelation 16:13-14.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which is not to say that they will necessarily be cursed for ever (because the Lord may even bring them back from the brink of disaster); but it is to say that we ought not to engage with them in order to try and convert them (in order that they might be saved). It is better to leave them alone because they might pull you down into their deceptive web of understanding. In this it may appear that you don't care about their eternal well-being....but Paul here says, "Let them be accursed rather than engage with them and be deceived by their line of thinking."

Romans 16:17 is a parallel passage that says essentially the same thing.
And John in

2 John 7-10
I say this because many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist. 8 Watch out that you do not lose what we have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully. 9 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not take them into your house or welcome them. 11 Anyone who welcomes them shares in their wicked work.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said those who confess me before me I will confess before My Father and those who deny Me before men I will deny before My Father in heaven. Matthew 10:32-33

John says in both 1 John and 2 John that the deceivers refuse to confess Christ has come in the flesh and remains in the flesh. John calls them the antichrists who are at work.

Paul in Romans 10:9-13 said for a person to be saved one must confess Jesus is Lord(YHWH). He quotes Joel 2:32 where we read YHWH is Lord and says that Jesus is that Lord(YHWH) one must confess to be saved.

Thayers Lexicon
2 John 1:7 (cf. Buttmann, as above; Winer's Grammar, 346 (324)); τινα, to profess oneself the worshipper of one, 1 John 4:3 (here WH marginal reading λύει, cf. Westcott, Epistles of John, p. 156ff)
properly, to say the same thing as another, i. e. to agree with, assent, both absolutely and with a dative of the person;

NT:3670
1. homologeo (‎o(mologe/w‎, NT:3670), lit., "to speak the same thing" (homos, "same," lego, "to speak"), "to assent, accord, agree with," denotes, (a) "to confess, declare, admit," John 1:20; e. g., Acts 24:14; Heb 11:13; (b) "to confess by way of admitting oneself guilty of what one is accused of, the result of inward conviction," 1 John 1:9; (c) "to declare openly by way of speaking out freely, such confession being the effect of deep conviction of facts," Matt 7:23; 10:32 (twice) and Luke 12:8 (see next par.); John 9:22; 12:42; Acts 23:8; Rom 10:9-10 ("confession is made"); 1 Tim 6:12 (RV); Titus 1:16; 1 John 2:23; 4:2,15; 2 John 7 (in John's epistle it is the necessary antithesis to Gnostic doceticism); Rev 3:5, in the best mss. (some have No. 2 here); (d) "to confess by way of celebrating with praise," Heb 13:15; (e) "to promise," Matt 14:7. vines

hope this helps !!!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Christophany,
It seems that the only true way to be able to tell the difference is in the maturity of the Christian. And practicing His ways so as to grow enough to discern the true Jesus.

"27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:"
John 10:27

Hebrews 5:14
"But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil."

Jesus claimed to be the Son of God, He claimed to have all authority on earth to forgive sin. And of course, His miracles spoke for themselves.
:)
Indeed and the Son of God is a Divine Title of Christ. The Son of in Hebrew as in the son of man has the meaning of being human, of human decent or origin of being a man, a human nature.

The meaning of the Son of God which Jesus was accused of Blasphemy means to have the nature of God, a divine nature. So we have both with Jesus who is the son of man and the Son of God. Its where we get the 2 natures in Christ both human and Divine. :)

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

not sure if 1 John 4:6 has been posted ‘We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.’

Matthew 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
not sure if 1 John 4:6 has been posted ‘We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.’

Matthew 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
Amen the Person Jesus we believe in who is God as per John 1:1; John 20:28, Titus 2:13, 2 Peter 1:1; 1 John 5:20- will result in a life that reflects Him. Since He has placed the Holy Spirit in us we have been changed and are new creations in Christ Jesus to perform good works which He has prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. The Holy Spirit living in us produced good fruit, the fruit of the Spirit as per Galatians 5:22-23.

hope this helps !!!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

2 Corinthians 11 is deep yea? Especially: ‘Was it a sin for me to lower myself in order to elevate you.’

James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Scary. Makes me consider how much time has been spent in attempts to elevate myself and lower others.

When the ‘and he shall lift you up’ may be when lowering ourselves to elevate (lift)others up. The ‘and he will lift you up’ being in others, and not in ‘I’. Paul seemed to find great rejoicing and peace and purpose and refreshing in not himself but others restored ‘lifted up’ to Christ. And suffered all things for their sake as 2 Corinthians 11 seems to mention.

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said those who confess me before me I will confess before My Father and those who deny Me before men I will deny before My Father in heaven. Matthew 10:32-33

John says in both 1 John and 2 John that the deceivers refuse to confess Christ has come in the flesh and remains in the flesh. John calls them the antichrists who are at work.

Paul in Romans 10:9-13 said for a person to be saved one must confess Jesus is Lord(YHWH). He quotes Joel 2:32 where we read YHWH is Lord and says that Jesus is that Lord(YHWH) one must confess to be saved.

Thayers Lexicon
2 John 1:7 (cf. Buttmann, as above; Winer's Grammar, 346 (324)); τινα, to profess oneself the worshipper of one, 1 John 4:3 (here WH marginal reading λύει, cf. Westcott, Epistles of John, p. 156ff)
properly, to say the same thing as another, i. e. to agree with, assent, both absolutely and with a dative of the person;

NT:3670
1. homologeo (‎o(mologe/w‎, NT:3670), lit., "to speak the same thing" (homos, "same," lego, "to speak"), "to assent, accord, agree with," denotes, (a) "to confess, declare, admit," John 1:20; e. g., Acts 24:14; Heb 11:13; (b) "to confess by way of admitting oneself guilty of what one is accused of, the result of inward conviction," 1 John 1:9; (c) "to declare openly by way of speaking out freely, such confession being the effect of deep conviction of facts," Matt 7:23; 10:32 (twice) and Luke 12:8 (see next par.); John 9:22; 12:42; Acts 23:8; Rom 10:9-10 ("confession is made"); 1 Tim 6:12 (RV); Titus 1:16; 1 John 2:23; 4:2,15; 2 John 7 (in John's epistle it is the necessary antithesis to Gnostic doceticism); Rev 3:5, in the best mss. (some have No. 2 here); (d) "to confess by way of celebrating with praise," Heb 13:15; (e) "to promise," Matt 14:7. vines

hope this helps !!!
Loving the Lord, confessing Him, embracing Him = all good things essential for salvation.

But again, man’s ability to pass a theology test isn’t what saves them. A person whom loves Christ, confessed Him, and embraces Him is saved. If they have a poor academic understanding that doesn’t make them unsaved, it means they have much to learn. As do all babes in Christ.

Reactions: amadeus