Do You Pray And Sing In Tongues ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
Praying and singing in Tongues is a Heavenly gift that God wants all of His children to have. Have you been baptized in the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in Tongues ?

fish153

Jan 19, 2012
Praying and singing in Tongues is a Heavenly gift that God wants all of His children to have. Have you been baptized in the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in Tongues ?

Yes I do. I received this gift 10 days ago. I never used to believe that modern day believers had this gift----I do now. :D

By the way---where do you go to change so that last post made is on top? Let me know.---thanks!

Phillip

Jan 2, 2012
Yes, it's call English!

That is the tongue I speak :) It is also the tongue the Lord and I converse with. If He gave me another tongue to converse with, it would only be because He wants me to converse with someone of a different tongue so they could understand the gospel in their own language, the exact and complete reason the 'gift of tongues' was given in the first place.
The modern day jibberish is non-sense to be rebuked. It is not of God. And the verses used to prove such are wrested terribly to be made to appear in support of glossalalia.
I've proven it. Each man should prove out all the spirits by the Spirit of Christ, who speaks clear and plain.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
God also gifts His children, as He did Paul, witht he ability to pray in tongues and sing in tongues.

1 Corinthians 14:15 (NLT)

[sup]15[/sup] Well then, what shall I do? I will pray in the spirit, and I will also pray in words I understand. I will sing in the spirit, and I will also sing in words I understand.

It is both my joy to enter into the presence of God with my spirit, and it is His joy, also.

Phillip

Jan 2, 2012
God also gifts His children, as He did Paul, witht he ability to pray in tongues and sing in tongues.

1 Corinthians 14:15 (NLT)

[sup]15[/sup] Well then, what shall I do? I will pray in the spirit, and I will also pray in words I understand. I will sing in the spirit, and I will also sing in words I understand.

It is both my joy to enter into the presence of God with my spirit, and it is His joy, also.

Yes, good, pray in words you understand in your spirit, as Paul says in your scripture above of 1 Cor 14:15. Speak words of thanksgiving, words of praise, words of wisdom. Hear His Words speaking direction and guidance and righteousness within us. The Word of God. This will bring great joy and understanding and perfect communion with Jesus, as is our great reality now in the New Covenant. And if it isn't English, or your native language that you can comprehend with God, be very suspect.

(Isa 30:21) And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.

(Hos 2:14)

Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak comfortably unto her.

(Zec 2:11)

And many nations shall be joined to the LORD in that day, and shall be my people: and I will dwell in the midst of thee, and thou shalt know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me unto thee.

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
I recently read that scientists have proved that people are not making up the gift of tongues as the part of the brain that is used for language was not used at all when people spoke in tongues.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I recently read that scientists have proved that people are not making up the gift of tongues as the part of the brain that is used for language was not used at all when people spoke in tongues.

-- True. It is called 'Glossolalia" and some of the studies on it are absolutely fascinating.

I had been praying and praising in the Spirit for years before I ever saw these studies but they confirm what has been real for 2000 years.

Phillip

Jan 2, 2012
That's right. The actual religious "believing" that stammering in an unknown tongue is "speaking in tongues" over rules the brain, showing forth the same patterns. "Belief" of speaking in glossolalia as from God, actually convinces the people doing it that it is from God. A religious brainwashing actually.

The prophets spoke of a time that was to come when God would make His Word known unto all. As "speaking one language" of salvation. Everyone would understand it, regardless of what "tongue" they learned from a child.

That is why Pentecost was a Reversal of confusion of babel, so that every man could hear in his own language, as on Pentecost.

What "Tongues" is NOT, is a stammering style of speaking where others can't understand;

(Isa 33:19) Thou shalt not see a fierce people, a people of a deeper speech than thou canst perceive; of a stammering tongue, that thou canst not understand.

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
That's right. The actual religious "believing" that stammering in an unknown tongue is "speaking in tongues" over rules the brain, showing forth the same patterns. "Belief" of speaking in glossolalia as from God, actually convinces the people doing it that it is from God. A religious brainwashing actually.

The prophets spoke of a time that was to come when God would make His Word known unto all. As "speaking one language" of salvation. Everyone would understand it, regardless of what "tongue" they learned from a child.

That is why Pentecost was a Reversal of confusion of babel, so that every man could hear in his own language, as on Pentecost.

What "Tongues" is NOT, is a stammering style of speaking where others can't understand;

(Isa 33:19) Thou shalt not see a fierce people, a people of a deeper speech than thou canst perceive; of a stammering tongue, that thou canst not understand.

Philip, You need to read the bible! You also need to understand that Satan mocks everything God has. I personally was raised being taught as you have been and was brainwashed to believe that God only uses tongues as a sign to unbelievers. If you go to the scriptures in I cor. 14 you will see it was used in a variety of ways. I myself have never spoken in tongues and was not raised around people who did, but the bible is very clear that God also had people pray in the Spirit when they did not understand it. Paul was telling them not to do that at a public meeting.

It says "you speak to God
speak mysteries in the Spirit
It edifies you
Paul wished we would all speak in tongues and interpret
It says the Spirit prays and sings
Says do not forbid to speak in tongues
Says speak to yourself and God

I was taught none of the above

It says it is a sign to unbelievers- This one i was taught as were you. Think how totally amazing it was that one person could speak and everyone listening heard it in their own language! How awesome! No interpreters needed. The Holy Spirit made everyone hear one person! Awesome!

Any who, I have prayed and asked God to let me speak and interpret. I thought about it. I could pray for a missionary in danger on the other side of the world. Someone i never heard of! If i could not also interpret I would not know what i prayed but the holy Spirit could get the job done even if I did not know. I will not try faking it though. I'll let you all know when the Spirit gives me this gift!

Phillip

Jan 2, 2012
Philip, You need to read the bible! You also need to understand that Satan mocks everything God has. I personally was raised being taught as you have been and was brainwashed to believe that God only uses tongues as a sign to unbelievers. If you go to the scriptures in I cor. 14 you will see it was used in a variety of ways. I myself have never spoken in tongues and was not raised around people who did, but the bible is very clear that God also had people pray in the Spirit when they did not understand it. Paul was telling them not to do that at a public meeting.

It says "you speak to God
speak mysteries in the Spirit
It edifies you
Paul wished we would all speak in tongues and interpret
It says the Spirit prays and sings
Says do not forbid to speak in tongues
Says speak to yourself and God

I was taught none of the above

It says it is a sign to unbelievers- This one i was taught as were you. Think how totally amazing it was that one person could speak and everyone listening heard it in their own language! How awesome! No interpreters needed. The Holy Spirit made everyone hear one person! Awesome!

Any who, I have prayed and asked God to let me speak and interpret. I thought about it. I could pray for a missionary in danger on the other side of the world. Someone i never heard of! If i could not also interpret I would not know what i prayed but the holy Spirit could get the job done even if I did not know. I will not try faking it though. I'll let you all know when the Spirit gives me this gift!

I read the Bible Shirley. I share with you that which the Lord gives to me to share, in the overhauling of doctrines and beliefs and in submitting one's self in righteousness.
All I said, and again affirm, as one who loves Truth and follows no man's teaching, but only Jesus' Word... "tongues" is never speaking in a language that others can not understand to whom it is directed. This is very important to know as a workman approved unto all good things in Christ. It is worthless to God and man to speak non-sense. He gives us His gifts to make known His Word, (As per the Word of God I showed you earlier). Modern day pentecostal jibberish is the opposite of what Paul teaches in the entire N.T. including 1 Cor 14. God does not endorse glossolalia. What He DOES do is affirm how important it is to speak so that others can "UNDERSTAND" that which is spoken. That is the only meaning of speaking in tongues in the Bible, or by the Holy Spirit.

As Paul said, I also say,

1 Cor 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the UNDERSTANDING ALSO. I will sing with the spirit and will sing with the understanding also.

(1Co 14:6)

Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?
(1Co 14:8) For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle.

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
I read the Bible Shirley. I share with you that which the Lord gives to me to share, in the overhauling of doctrines and beliefs and in submitting one's self in righteousness.
All I said, and again affirm, as one who loves Truth and follows no man's teaching, but only Jesus' Word... "tongues" is never speaking in a language that others can not understand to whom it is directed. This is very important to know as a workman approved unto all good things in Christ. It is worthless to God and man to speak non-sense. He gives us His gifts to make known His Word, (As per the Word of God I showed you earlier). Modern day pentecostal jibberish is the opposite of what Paul teaches in the entire N.T. including 1 Cor 14. God does not endorse glossolalia. What He DOES do is affirm how important it is to speak so that others can "UNDERSTAND" that which is spoken. That is the only meaning of speaking in tongues in the Bible, or by the Holy Spirit.

As Paul said, I also say,

1 Cor 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the UNDERSTANDING ALSO. I will sing with the spirit and will sing with the understanding also.

(1Co 14:6)

Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?
(1Co 14:8) For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle.

Alrighty then! So God will not be able to use this part of your brain. Since you have stated your opinion I would like to ask you to keep your opinions to yourself b/c i want to learn about this and I never get to b/c of unbelievers. So you don't believe in it and we heard you. The people who do believe in it already know that satan mocks the gift and pretends to be the holy Spirit. That is where discernment comes in. I'd like to hear from people who know something about it!

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Yes, good, pray in words you understand in your spirit, as Paul says in your scripture above of 1 Cor 14:15. Speak words of thanksgiving, words of praise, words of wisdom. Hear His Words speaking direction and guidance and righteousness within us. The Word of God. This will bring great joy and understanding and perfect communion with Jesus, as is our great reality now in the New Covenant. And if it isn't English, or your native language that you can comprehend with God, be very suspect.

(Isa 30:21) And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.

(Hos 2:14)

Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak comfortably unto her.

(Zec 2:11)

And many nations shall be joined to the LORD in that day, and shall be my people: and I will dwell in the midst of thee, and thou shalt know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me unto thee.

As Paul clearly states: we are to speak, sing and pray in our native language and in our heavenly language (in the spirit), just as he did.

I don't stammer. I speak another language I do not know. It has an extensive vocabulary and order or syntax. This is a language of the Spirit of God in my spirit, who uses my vocal cords to speak to the Father. He is more than welcome to do so. It is all about submission to Him.

Phillip

Jan 2, 2012
As Paul clearly states: we are to speak, sing and pray in our native language and in our heavenly language (in the spirit), just as he did.

I don't stammer. I speak another language I do not know. It has an extensive vocabulary and order or syntax. This is a language of the Spirit of God in my spirit, who uses my vocal cords to speak to the Father. He is more than welcome to do so. It is all about submission to Him.

I am totally submissive to God. He has all of me, every part of me. Even every cell of my brain lol.

And I will never speak a language I don't know. I'll never let a bunch of non-sensical words and their 'syntax' flow forth from my mouth. That would only be submitting myself to a strange doctrine of the devil.
I know all of Jesus' Words and speak with Him with the WORD and Him to me by His WORD. Not some other language I don't know.
That would only be proving myself as a barbarian;

It's all right there in front of yas :) Truth is always clear and pure and full of love and UNDERSTOOD in perfect clarity.
1 Cor 14:11 Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I am totally submissive to God. He has all of me, every part of me. Even every cell of my brain lol.

And I will never speak a language I don't know. I'll never let a bunch of non-sensical words and their 'syntax' flow forth from my mouth. That would only be submitting myself to a strange doctrine of the devil.
I know all of Jesus' Words and speak with Him with the WORD and Him to me by His WORD. Not some other language I don't know.
That would only be proving myself as a barbarian;

It's all right there in front of yas :) Truth is always clear and pure and full of love and UNDERSTOOD in perfect clarity.
1 Cor 14:11 Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.

When you say you WILL NOT do something, you effectively shut out the Lord's desire to fill you to overflowing with His Spirit. It is His will, not our own we need to seek. You can be sure when you say you will not do something, you will not. As for those who do speak in tongues, including myself, we have made ourselves available to Him for His use, including our voices, which He uses to magnify Himself and to edify us, His precious ones...as well as to confound the enemy, praise God!

Status
Not open for further replies.