Do you pray in tongues?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Some firmly believe that there are spiritual benefits to praying in tongues.

1.) Praying in tongues gives us a direct and unimpeded communication between our human spirit and the Spirit of God (1 Corinthians 14:2a).

2.) Praying in tongues brings the secrets of God's Spirit into our spirit (1 Corinthians 14:2b).

3.) When we pray in tongues, we cultivate and increase our spiritual strength (I Corinthians 14:4a).

4.) Praying in tongues tends to help us enter into the spiritual place wherein the Spirit can speak through us prophetically to others (I Corinthians 14:5).

5.) Praying in tongues leads us to desire interpretation (I Corinthians 14:13).

6.) Tongues releases us to a higher forms of spiritual worship (I Corinthians 14:15).

Have you experienced any of these things?

What are some of your experiences in the Spirit while praying in tongues?

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
None of the above. While I seek to pray intelligently about what I'm praying about, I also recognise that there are times when I simply do not have the words to express what I want to say.
Then I trust that the spirit living in me will inturpret my longing to the Father.

Reactions: Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Triumph1300
I don't about all of the numbers. I've studied the subject many times, but my answer is really a very simple one.

I started praying in tongues when I received the Holy Ghost in 1976. It was an irregular thing that I did not understand at the first, but for many years now it has been an intrinsic part of my daily connection with God. People have over the years tried to talk me out of the necessity of it, but they could not do that. You might as well ask me to heed the lady's advice to her husband here:

"Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die." Job 2:9

I must go along with his response to her:

"But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips." Job 2:10

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This was all explained to me years ago..

I was told it is some one speaking in a different languish then you.

You may be French some one may be Italian, some one Greek, etc.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I started to speak in tongues one night in bed.
This was in 1980.
I heard people speak in tongues and asked the Lord to reveal it to me.
Suddenly it happened.
My wife next to me heard it and said later it lasted for a very long time.

I have heard people say it's of the devil.
It seams a little strange to me that people could have something from the devil and it would help them live better lives.
If it was from de devil it would make people worse - not better.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God baptized me in His Holy Spirit and gave me the gift of speaking (praying) in tongues in the fall of 1977. I can give hundreds of benefits and testimonies but will account for just one. We'd been married for 14 years and God had closed my wife's womb. Doctors determined her body killed my seed on contact. There was no cure. He began to tell us that He was sending us a son because we believed Him. We went forward at our church and had the elders anoint and pray for us. After about two years during which a multitude of things happened including confirmation by a prophet.

I was home one day and praying in the spirit, tongues that is, as I did a Bible study. I realized He was giving me the interpretation so began to write. That was Tuesday, October 9th,1979. I wrote as He dictated ;

The Lord says this. I have done as I said I would and fulfilled my counsel. Now will my name be glorified in the thing of which I spoke. Now will ears tingle at the testimony of this work. You have waited but I have waited too. I heard you from the first time you ever cried out to me for a child. Because you looked to me and not to men I have done this. The mouth of the scoffers will be shut at the telling. Fear not. The word of the Lord is good news. We will rejoice together in this!

I have written this on a plaque that hangs in an honored place. A constant reminder of His miracle working power!

Isaiah 65:24 KJVS
And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.

There were plenty of scoffers during that time. They were sorry for us when we told them of our coming son. Think about that, how hard it was. What is your faith? Trust Him today.

We went to the lab that week and they said "it's a nice positive result". Never forget those words. My wife got a baby book and wrote our son's name in it. Nathan Matthew Jennings.

He was born Wednesday, June 25th, 1880.

We never had any tests for gender and as my wife was in the operating room for the Caesarian section the doctor said "so it's going to be a boy is it"? He was a non believer. Yes it is my wife told Him. That's what the Lord told us. He was a scoffer that became a witness.

Here is Nathan's picture with his sister.

20161124_164812-747x1328.jpg

Deuteronomy 18:21-22 KJVS
And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the Lord hath not spoken?
[22] When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord , if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

God spoke to us and it came to pass. ALL GLORY to Him. I am nothing. Our son is here tonight studying the scripture in the next room. He will soon be 38. Yes, being foretold he's had his share of battles and scoffers. It was WONDERFUL telling the scoffers the good news. It still is for that matter! Did we hear from God. Yes, the only life creator. Jesus Christ our Lord.

What is your need? Is there anything too hard for God? Let His praises abound. May those that have disabused the Scriptures repent and come before God, not their denomination, with an open heart to receive His eternal Holy Spirit and whatsoever gifts He brings. Amen

You must be justified by God. It is not important to be justified by tradition or a man made denomination.

And I think also that I have the spirit of the Lord.

Last edited:

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Good topic, I started praying in tongues, when my mum prayed for me to receive at 10 Years old, but then I held it off for a bit, and the influences at school weren't really a help to my spiritual life, probably 5 or 6 years ago I rediscovered the gift, but still wasn't praying in tongues regularly, but I have been praying in tongues more this year, nearly every morning before work I pray in tongues.

No. 1 No. 3 and 6 of the original post would be the main ones for me. If you cannot find the right words to normal prayer or don't know what to pray for, praying in tongues is great

And not just for that, but it's great at anytime

As when we pray in tongues, most likely we don't know what we are praying for, but the Holy Spirit does. And when we pray in tongues in the Spirit, things go on that we do not know of, someone might have a dream and vision of Jesus, someone might be set free from addictions, someone might be healed miraculously, Jesus might be prophesying through us into someone else's life in their tongue, a lot of wonderful things can happen when we pray in tongues through the Holy Spirit, and it could be all the way on the other side of the globe, something happening to someone we don't even know, as a result of praying in Tongues, and all these things and much more can happen without us even knowing when we Pray in Tongues, but God knows what happened, a person you see on the news every now and then resurrected from death, or the person with that near miss, could well be the result of Tongues. Praying in tongues is so powerful and also builds us up and draws us closer to God.

And I would encourage all of those who don't have the gift, to seek, ask and receive it from Jesus through faith. After all Paul did say "It's my wish, that you all spoke in tongues."

Last edited:

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes I sing in the spirit as Paul encouraged. As you said we never know what we are praying for unless the Lord tells us.

He can call us to intercessory prayer in the spirit according to Job.

Job 32:18-20 KJVS
For I am full of matter, the spirit within me constraineth me.

Job 32:18-20 KJVSF

(18 ) for I am full of matter, the spirit within me constraineth me.
The Word matter is "speaking, words, talking, i.e praying"

[19] Behold, my belly is as wine which hath no vent; it is ready to burst like new bottles.

With this call to pray an internal pressure comes. This is described in verse 19.

[20] I will speak, that I may be refreshed: I will open my lips and answer.

When you are pressed in the spirit to intercessory prayer you will pour out prayer in tongues until you are relieved of the pressing inside. It may be just a few minutes bit more likely will be much longer. I have poured out intercessory prayer in the spirit for one or two hours before the inner pressure is relieved.

Praying in the spirit as an intercessor is the ONLY WAY you can PRAY WITHOUT CEASING.

The events described above in Job 32:18-20 have settled upon me from time to time over the past 40 years. There are many many believers that have this intercessory prayer experience. It will not come to those THAT ARE NOT BAPTIZED IN THE HOLY SPIRIT AND HAVE RECEIVED THE GIFT OF TONGUES.

Throughout the old testament their are other references to prayer in the spirit but they are hidden from the scoffers. Those that deny the baptism of the Holy Spirit and the always accompanying gift of tongues.

No - all do not speak with tongues as Paul asked. Why? They deny both the experience of Pentecost and the gift of tongues - ie praying in the spirit.

The naysaying spirit was already at work undermining God's gifts in Paul's time. This is why he had to say "AND FORBID NOT TO SPEAK WITH TONGUES" .

Spiritual power without being baptized in the Holy Spirit is minimal. When born again you are born of the spirit. When Jesus who is THE baptizer, baptizes you in His Holy Spirit you are FILLED to overflowing.

Denominations are CREATIONS OF MEN. Men worship their creation more than the Great Creator.

Last edited:

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some firmly believe that there are spiritual benefits to praying in tongues ....
Some firmly believe?
Sorry I couldn't read past that...believe? Or directly have several experiences?
There are too many and they are too sacred to speak of on some forum...to be picked apart....sorry, my exp on forums is not so wonderful....
Praying in tongues is outta this world..and very powerful.
Good topic.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes and some don't.
Btw, i didnt have any trouble with 'you', Triumph. xo

I must have been reacting , over reacting?, to those 'some' that do not believe...or rather don't know personally from experience that praying in tongues is so powerful.
It seems it's the people looking in the window without any personal experience that speak the loudest that there is nothing to Praying in Tongues.

I never care what it is...if somone says a dentist is good or bad...my first question is,
"How do you know that? Have you been to him? How many times?"
It is amazing how many people form an opinion with no valid personal experience.
Reading an ad or an op-ed means nothing to me...it's forming an idea on someone else's view...they could be kooks or have a chip on their shoulder or be simply ignorant...cuz of no direct experience for themselves.
So their opinions and speculations and skeptism mean nothing to me.

My take.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God baptized me in His Holy Spirit and gave me the gift of speaking (praying) in tongues in the fall of 1977. I can give hundreds of benefits and testimonies but will account for just one. We'd been married for 14 years and God had closed my wife's womb. Doctors determined her body killed my seed on contact. There was no cure. He began to tell us that He was sending us a son because we believed Him. We went forward at our church and had the elders anoint and pray for us. After about two years during which a multitude of things happened including confirmation by a prophet.

I was home one day and praying in the spirit, tongues that is, as I did a Bible study. I realized He was giving me the interpretation so began to write. That was Tuesday, October 9th,1979. I wrote as He dictated ;

The Lord says this. I have done as I said I would and fulfilled my counsel. Now will my name be glorified in the thing of which I spoke. Now will ears tingle at the testimony of this work. You have waited but I have waited too. I heard you from the first time you ever cried out to me for a child. Because you looked to me and not to men I have done this. The mouth of the scoffers will be shut at the telling. Fear not. The word of the Lord is good news. We will rejoice together in this!

I have written this on a plaque that hangs in an honored place. A constant reminder of His miracle working power!

Isaiah 65:24 KJVS
And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.

There were plenty of scoffers during that time. They were sorry for us when we told them of our coming son. Think about that, how hard it was. What is your faith? Trust Him today.

We went to the lab that week and they said "it's a nice positive result". Never forget those words. My wife got a baby book and wrote our son's name in it. Nathan Matthew Jennings.

He was born Wednesday, June 25th, 1880.

We never had any tests for gender and as my wife was in the operating room for the Caesarian section the doctor said "so it's going to be a boy is it"? He was a non believer. Yes it is my wife told Him. That's what the Lord told us. He was a scoffer that became a witness.

Here is Nathan's picture with his sister.

View attachment 2290

Deuteronomy 18:21-22 KJVS
And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the Lord hath not spoken?
[22] When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord , if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

God spoke to us and it came to pass. ALL GLORY to Him. I am nothing. Our son is here tonight studying the scripture in the next room. He will soon be 38. Yes, being foretold he's had his share of battles and scoffers. It was WONDERFUL telling the scoffers the good news. It still is for that matter! Did we hear from God. Yes, the only life creator. Jesus Christ our Lord.

What is your need? Is there anything too hard for God? Let His praises abound. May those that have disabused the Scriptures repent and come before God, not their denomination, with an open heart to receive His eternal Holy Spirit and whatsoever gifts He brings. Amen

You must be justified by God. It is not important to be justified by tradition or a man made denomination.

And I think also that I have the spirit of the Lord.

Glory to God! This is a fantastic testimony... sort of reminds me of Amos 3:7-8, "Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he reveals his secret to his servants the prophets. The lion hath roared, who will not fear? The Lord God hath spoken, who can but prophesy?" and also Isaiah 44:26, "Who confirms the word of His servant, and performs the counsel of His messengers; Who says to Jerusalem, ‘You shall be inhabited,’ to the cities of Judah, ‘You shall be built,’ and 'I will raise up her waste places'."

Reactions: Helen

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As when we pray in tongues, most likely we don't know what we are praying for, but the Holy Spirit does. And when we pray in tongues in the Spirit, things go on that we do not know of, someone might have a dream and vision

I noticed you yourself were posting some dreams here and there during this time, one that has clearly come to pass already (the one about the economy in Australia). This may be in part to your praying in tongues more now.

If it's alright with you, I interpret, and I'd like to post something on your dream about North Korea. I need to warn you in advance that it's not a positive dream at all; heartbreaking really. But I know what it means if it is.

Thanks for your post. This is the first thread I'm reading through at this Forum, and enjoying it.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HIH, When finished with Josho, I will post a few dreams for you to work on.
If you don't mind.

Not in the least. Glad to do it. :)

I'm still praying for greater word of knowledge so that I no longer need to ask any questions at all, but if your dreams don't completely explain themselves internally (many do) then I may ask you some questions, if that's ok.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems it's the people looking in the window without any personal experience that speak the loudest that there is nothing to Praying in Tongues

Absolutely. I've been contemplating the notion that a true prophet of God never "misses it," and how those who don't even believe in the gifts are quick to say that anyone who misses in the slightest detail cannot be a true prophet of God. This bears no witness to me, or to real life prophets that I have met personally, or to my own experiences of operating in interpretation.

I may start a thread on this topic, as there are a number of passages that suggest the gifts are something you develop over time, not just fall into with perfect accuracy from nothing. Just because we see the prophets of God in the Bible manifesting their gift with perfect accuracy doesn't mean they always did so, and I think I can prove this from scripture.

The reason I bring it up is because this notion just spooks the daylights out of many from even attempting to walk in spiritual gifts. And as all of us in this thread can probably attest, not one speaks in tongues by being forced to. One must yield him or herself to the Spirit of God, something which one gains more experience with over time.

Hope I wasn't opening up a debate on this thread, but this is what came to mind in reading the above line.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HIH, When finished with Josho, I will post a few dreams for you to work on.
If you don't mind.

Btw, Triumph, since you have some you'd like to post, I think I'll create a separate thread for "Dreams and Visions," so others might be encouraged to post on it as well if they receive something.

But if you wanted it to be in private, just send them to me via conversation. That's good too.

Reactions: Helen and Josho