Do You Really "Have To?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
how many times do you say "i have to" or "i gotta" in a day?
How many times do you hear it said?
What is another common way to define this concept, this something that you have to do?

Reactions: Nancy

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Expectations are slavery to the will

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is another common way to define this concept, this something that you have to do?
It's too personal...it's between me and the bathroom.
Definition...urge, force of nature.

Reactions: FHII and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's too personal...it's between me and the bathroom.
Definition...urge, force of nature.

Good one... It annoys my husband when I say.."Yes okay , but first I just have to run to the bathroom. " :D :D

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Actually, except for the incidents in above post...I hardly say it at all.
I remember a couple staying at our house, I 'overhead' one say to the other.. "Well we must first do blah blah...then we have to go to blah blah..."
The other one answered and I have never ever forgotten it...He said..
" No, we do not 'have to' do anything...all we have to do is walk in the Spirit then everything will sort itself out."
I believe God intended me to overheard that, and learn.

As God children we need to get delivered from all the "Ought to's".
The Lord leads His sheep...Satan is a driver.
So...the question is, are we lead, or driven?

B

Butterfly

I have to work.... because I gotta eat.
Define this concept? No work, no eat

Yes, I can relate to that...... But as I ponder it, I wonder if it is revealing a negative attitude to what i feel ' i have to do ' - in essence i do ' have to work ' and ' I have to support my dad ' but it reveals , perhaps, that i feel forced into doing things against my will......... Is that really a good way to feel about it. If you take the ' have to ' out of the equation .... ' I work so that I can eat ' ' I support my dad because he needs support ' maybe it gives it more purpose and positivity - a means to an end.
......sorry I am waffling because it's made me think !
Butterfly

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What bugs me is when people say, "You need to.. " when its something they need me to do. I tend to take words very seriously and a word like "need" isn't the same as "should".

Reactions: Dan57 and Pisteuo

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
so you say, but don't work for food is in There too tho, huh

I don't recall where that's written? But; "The labourer is worthy of his reward" (1 Timothy 5:18) "But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel." (1 Timothy 5:8). "We command and exhort by our LORD Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread." 2 Thessalonians 3:12). and "Let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth." (Ephesians 4:28) These verses seem to indicate that we are expected to work.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I don't recall where that's written? But; "The labourer is worthy of his reward" (1 Timothy 5:18) "But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel." (1 Timothy 5:8). "We command and exhort by our LORD Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread." 2 Thessalonians 3:12). and "Let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth." (Ephesians 4:28) These verses seem to indicate that we are expected to work.
...but you don't recall where "Don't work for food" is written though, by the same token.

And i might contrast working with getting/having a job, too, i'm certainly not meaning to denigrate working, so much as becoming a slave to a job, perhaps.

11For we hear that there are some among you who walk irresponsibly, not working at all, but interfering with the work of others.u 12Now we command and exhort such people