• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you think America is a fallen nation?

• Total voters

LouisWilliams

Mar 3, 2021
Home
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been studying American politics and society for quite a while. And I have to admit, sometimes, I can find all of it very depressing. The endless back-and-forth fighting and bickering between the Democrats and Republicans, the scandals from the politicians, the ongoing culture wars (such as over abortion and censorship, etc.), the drug legalization debate and the massive drug addiction problems, the rise of massive mental illnesses, the crime rates, the gang violence, and the mass shootings in schools and public places, the lack of proper health care and student debt problems, the very controversial foreign policy decisions, especially regarding the Middle East. Even recently, liberals and conservatives were divided for example on Joe Biden's strike on Syria.

Almost 40% of millennials support legally banning speech offensive to minority groups, for example:
40% of Millennials OK with limiting speech offensive to minorities
And Christianity (and possibly religion in general) continues its steady decline:
In U.S., Decline of Christianity Continues at Rapid Pace

How do you people deal with everything? Do you ever find this whole situation depressing? How do you know which side to support? And what is more...Christianity does not seem to be growing significantly in popularity. Some studies show that Americans, especially younger Americans, are turning away from older organized religions -- but at the same time abandoning all sense of faith and spirituality altogether. If you go to some forums, for example, most people these days seem to ridicule most forms of ancient tradition and spirituality as ridiculous nonsense, and are far more obsessed with sports and entertainment, with completely secular materialism, rather than any sense of higher meaning or purpose, they believe in relative morality, rather than any kind of absolute morality. Even looking at it from a non-religious objective view, most Americans these days seem fueled more by hatred and consumed by indulgence than by any kind of selfless or altruistic sense of responsibility, much less genuine love for each other. It is honestly such a shame how America has changed so much, and not necessarily entirely for the better -- and has failed to live up to its highest and truest potential.

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. (Matthew 6:24)

Last edited:

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Painting everyone with a broad brush is definitely not going to work.

Everyone is an individual. America is a collection of individuals that will find common ground with those who hold precisely the opposite view than they are holding.
And this working together is what has propelled us to unbelievable heights.
The founding was done by war. The reasons just. But again it was painting everyone with a broad brush when in truth it was bad management.

"In God we trust" is still printed on paper notes.

LouisWilliams

Mar 3, 2021
Home
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Painting everyone with a broad brush is definitely not going to work.

Everyone is an individual. America is a collection of individuals that will find common ground with those who hold precisely the opposite view than they are holding.
And this working together is what has propelled us to unbelievable heights.
The founding was done by war. The reasons just. But again it was painting everyone with a broad brush when in truth it was bad management.

"In God we trust" is still printed on paper notes.

Of course, but does that truly mean anything if a majority of Americans are becoming more and more secular and materialistic, if they believe that everything is relative, to just go with the flow and indulge in hedonism and mammon rather than focus on everything that truly matters? I have lived in places where people, especially younger people, are not only irreligious, but they genuinely hate Christianity in general. And perhaps I am sensitive...but it deeply troubles and disappoints me, how America has fallen, in my opinion. Remember the old days, when things were so much simpler and happier, when things such as family and faith actually mattered, and were all that mattered, the little things of life?

In what ways has America progressed? By legalizing abortion and all kinds of drugs nationwide, banning school prayers, firing people from their jobs because of whatever controversial comment they might made years or decades ago? Millions of Americans, and our media, actually sympathize more with Islam these days more than anything! And the political fighting of course has gotten way more intense as well, the animosity between Democrats and Republicans seems to be reaching a breaking point. And it...genuinely saddens me. Why has America become this way?

Last edited:

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course, but does that truly mean anything if a majority of Americans are becoming more and more secular and materialistic, if they believe that everything is relative, to just go with the flow and indulge in hedonism and mammon rather than focus on everything that truly matters? I have been lived in places where people, especially younger people, are not only irreligious, but they genuinely hate Christianity in general. And perhaps I am sensitive...but it deeply troubles and disappoints me, how America has fallen, in my opinion. Remember the old days, when things were so much simpler and happier, when things such as family and faith actually mattered, and were all that mattered, the little things of life?

In what ways has America progressed? By legalizing abortion and all kinds of drugs nationwide, banning school prayers, firing people from their jobs because of whatever controversial comment they might made years or decades ago? Millions of Americans, and our media, actually sympathize more with Islam these days more than anything! And the political fighting of course has gotten way more intense as well, the animosity between Democrats and Republicans seems to be reaching a breaking point. And it...genuinely saddens me. Why has America become this way?

You are paying too close of attention to the media talking heads and not to your average person's opinion. Words and actions are very far apart in most of America. What people say vs actually do are generally not connected. Especially when it comes to public spotlight types.
There's a huge propaganda campaign to normalize homosexuality...but that doesn't mean that people actually buy into it. Most don't. Materialism isn't on everyone's mind... getting out to see their friends and new places is. (Currently)
Everyone wants to get out of the quarantines. That's the overruling thought currently...later it will be used cars as most people don't want electric vehicles. They drive SUVs and like them. Expedience and value are on most people's agenda.

Just saying.

Reactions: lilygrace

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The underlying question that I have is: -

When was the USA not a fallen nation?

Reactions: amadeus

LouisWilliams

Mar 3, 2021
Home
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The underlying question that I have is: -

When was the USA not a fallen nation?

Then do you think there is any hope at all for its future? Do not mistake me, I care deeply for America, or at least I want to, despite everything...but some things you slowly notice, the little things, just make you become more tired, and more disillusioned, year after year...and things are not necessarily getting better. Or at least, it will get much worse, and countless people and families will be hurt, before it gets better.

I love America for what it once was, for what it could be. But not necessarily for what it is today. Its patriotic music conveys its ideals, what we are supposed to be, they are moving songs of liberty and justice for all. But most of us have forgotten those ideals. We have forgotten what what it means to be one nation under God, to stand for a noble and timeless cause, no matter how complicated and elaborately twisted this world and our world becomes, no matter how unpopular religion or whatever it stands for becomes, no matter how much everything around us changes.

What about your country? Is it in better shape, or worse shape than America, in your personal opinion?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Then do you think there is any hope at all for its future? Do not mistake me, I care deeply for America, or at least I want to, despite everything...but some things you slowly notice, the little things, just make you become more tired, and more disillusioned, year after year...and things are not necessarily getting better. Or at least, it will get much worse, and countless people and families will be hurt, before it gets better.

I love America for what it once was, for what it could be. But not necessarily for what it is today. Its patriotic music conveys its ideals, what we are supposed to be, they are moving songs of liberty and justice for all. But most of us have forgotten those ideals. We have forgotten what what it means to be one nation under God, to stand for a noble and timeless cause, no matter how complicated and elaborately twisted this world and our world becomes, no matter how unpopular religion or whatever it stands for becomes, no matter how much everything around us changes.

What about your country? Is it in better shape, or worse shape than America, in your personal opinion?

My country, traditionally, is around 5-10 years behind what is happening in the USA. The problem is that Christians believe that they are not deserving of the prophetic warning contained in Jer. 50-5, where the USA is mentioned but not by name for the sin that the USA and my country also was a part of with respect to the Land of Babylon, which was remembered before God in 1926 when the nation of Iraq was given dominion over the Land of the Chaldeans, i.e. Babylon.

The sad thing though, is that the shepherds of the respective flocks, are blind and cannot see what is happening to the sheep they are charged of nurturing and feeding. Sadly, they offer a false hope of not suffering for the sake of the Gospel and speak fondly of a false hope of escaping the events of the end of the age of the ages.

It is time for people to start meditating on God's word and seeking God's face for the situation we have willingly put ourselves in.

Shalom

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To: OP
Many of early settlers came to North America..to escape persecution
from state & church establishment ( England & Continent )
- Seeking the 'spiritual freedom'..
- It was their focus/priority.
- They did not have much..material things/assets.
Maybe we need to be reminded again..that part of history.
---
Nowadays...many people are more concerned/focused on 'getting more(greed), status, political power,etc..'
--
I was at the seminar ...some years ago.
- It was about 'history of British Empire.'
- & Discussion on..United States.
---
"And Christianity continues its steady decline.."
I remember reading an article ( Christian mission ).. years ago.
- It was about the 'decline of Christianity in Europe.'
- He (author) wrote, "United States/North America is next..."

Last edited: