Does a false prophet know they're false

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what do u think, i trying to solve the mystery

2 Cor 4:4 In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

What Does the Bible Say About Spiritual Blindness?

spiritual blindness scripture - Google Search
Both good and evil, and truth and untruth, have their children. All things, right or wrong are manifest from on high as a testimony for or against each in the judgement.

It is the spirit in us that directs us to our rightful eternal fate.

Heb 13:8

Nov 2, 2016
USA
If false prophets can't know they're false, then God is a comedian for real. I mean, even Jesus couldn't wake them up, Matt 23.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If false prophets can't know they're false, then God is a comedian for real. I mean, even Jesus couldn't wake them up, Matt 23.
It may be easier to understand just how this all works if you were to ask whether a person who is simply wrong (about anything) knows they are wrong. The answer is, they don't, but should, because if they are wrong they would have no confirmation or proof.

But the one who knows something that is true, that person has confirmation or proof which comes in different forms.

Reactions: Philip James

Nov 2, 2016
USA
It may be easier to understand just how this all works if you were to ask whether a person who is simply wrong (about anything) knows they are wrong. The answer is, they don't, but should, because if they are wrong they would have no confirmation or proof.

But the one who knows something that is true, that person has confirmation or proof which comes in different forms.

I suppose they're false if they're not preaching a Grace Gospel. :(

Phl 1:7 Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace.

Heb 6:16 For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife.

Heb 6:17 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:

Heb 6:18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:

Heb 6:19 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;

Heb 6:20 Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what do u think, i trying to solve the mystery

2 Cor 4:4 In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

What Does the Bible Say About Spiritual Blindness?

spiritual blindness scripture - Google Search

LoL. I noticed you keep referring to false prophets, yet the verses you quote are always in reference to false teachers. Are you sure you are not actually referring to the latter?

But regarding false prophets, the premier passage on this in scripture is Ezekiel 13:

1 The word of the Lord came to me: 2 “Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel who are now prophesying. Say to those who prophesy out of their own imagination: ‘Hear the word of the Lord! 3 This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Woe to the foolish[a] prophets who follow their own spirit and have seen nothing! 4 Your prophets, Israel, are like jackals among ruins. 5 You have not gone up to the breaches in the wall to repair it for the people of Israel so that it will stand firm in the battle on the day of the Lord. 6 Their visions are false and their divinations a lie. Even though the Lord has not sent them, they say, “The Lord declares,” and expect him to fulfill their words. 7 Have you not seen false visions and uttered lying divinations when you say, “The Lord declares,” though I have not spoken?

8 “‘Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: Because of your false words and lying visions, I am against you, declares the Sovereign Lord. 9 My hand will be against the prophets who see false visions and utter lying divinations. They will not belong to the council of my people or be listed in the records of Israel, nor will they enter the land of Israel. Then you will know that I am the Sovereign Lord.

10 “‘Because they lead my people astray, saying, “Peace,” when there is no peace, and because, when a flimsy wall is built, they cover it with whitewash, 11 therefore tell those who cover it with whitewash that it is going to fall. Rain will come in torrents, and I will send hailstones hurtling down, and violent winds will burst forth. 12 When the wall collapses, will people not ask you, “Where is the whitewash you covered it with?”

13 “‘Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: In my wrath I will unleash a violent wind, and in my anger hailstones and torrents of rain will fall with destructive fury. 14 I will tear down the wall you have covered with whitewash and will level it to the ground so that its foundation will be laid bare. When it falls, you will be destroyed in it; and you will know that I am the Lord. 15 So I will pour out my wrath against the wall and against those who covered it with whitewash. I will say to you, “The wall is gone and so are those who whitewashed it, 16 those prophets of Israel who prophesied to Jerusalem and saw visions of peace for her when there was no peace, declares the Sovereign Lord.”’

17 “Now, son of man, set your face against the daughters of your people who prophesy out of their own imagination. Prophesy against them 18 and say, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Woe to the women who sew magic charms on all their wrists and make veils of various lengths for their heads in order to ensnare people. Will you ensnare the lives of my people but preserve your own? 19 You have profaned me among my people for a few handfuls of barley and scraps of bread. By lying to my people, who listen to lies, you have killed those who should not have died and have spared those who should not live.

20 “‘Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I am against your magic charms with which you ensnare people like birds and I will tear them from your arms; I will set free the people that you ensnare like birds. 21 I will tear off your veils and save my people from your hands, and they will no longer fall prey to your power. Then you will know that I am the Lord. 22 Because you disheartened the righteous with your lies, when I had brought them no grief, and because you encouraged the wicked not to turn from their evil ways and so save their lives, 23 therefore you will no longer see false visions or practice divination. I will save my people from your hands. And then you will know that I am the Lord.’”

Do they know? I think they tend to encourage each other, and therefore their confidence is based on the "agreement" they receive from one another, whereas the confidence of a true prophet is based on the confirmations he receives directly from God. That having said, I guess my answer would be that they can be self-deceived, yet I think deep down inside there is an inner witness inside them that tells them they are false. They just don't want to listen to it.

Nov 2, 2016
USA
LoL. I noticed you keep referring to false prophets, yet the verses you quote are always in reference to false teachers. Are you sure you are not actually referring to the latter?

Well, both I guess. 2 Peter 2:1 and this entire chapter is referring to nonbelievers. :)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, both I guess. 2 Peter 2:1 and this entire chapter is referring to nonbelievers. :)

I thought that might be your passage. Technically he's talking about false teachers but makes a parallel to the false prophets of old. But I think the same principles apply. False teachers likewise have a way of bolstering each other by all repeating the same thing. By the way, the specific reference to this copy-cat phenomenon is in Jeremiah 23:30: "Therefore behold," declares the LORD, "I am against the prophets who steal from each other words they attribute to Me."

I prefer discussing the prophets as I find them more interesting, and I just read over a passage that suggests the false prophets can sometimes be utterly deceived by a lying spirit allowed by God to delude them, similar to how Pharaoh became utterly deluded. But even here I think this only happens when they have consistently given themselves over to falsehood, and God has finally allowed them to be made an example of, together with a king who must now be made an example of as well.

1 Then the king of Israel gathered the prophets together, about four hundred men, and said unto them, Shall I go against Ramothgilead to battle, or shall I forbear? And they said, Go up; for the Lord shall deliver it into the hand of the king. 7 And Jehoshaphat said, Is there not here a prophet of the Lord besides, that we might enquire of him? 8 And the king of Israel said unto Jehoshaphat, There is yet one man, Micaiah the son of Imlah, by whom we may enquire of the Lord: but I hate him; for he doth not prophesy good concerning me, but evil. And Jehoshaphat said, Let not the king say so. 9 Then the king of Israel called an officer, and said, Hasten hither Micaiah the son of Imlah. 10 And the king of Israel and Jehoshaphat the king of Judah sat each on his throne, having put on their robes, in a void place in the entrance of the gate of Samaria; and all the prophets prophesied before them.

11 And Zedekiah the son of Chenaanah made him horns of iron: and he said, Thus saith the Lord, With these shalt thou push the Syrians, until thou have consumed them. 12 And all the prophets prophesied so, saying, Go up to Ramothgilead, and prosper: for the Lord shall deliver it into the king's hand. 13 And the messenger that was gone to call Micaiah spake unto him, saying, Behold now, the words of the prophets declare good unto the king with one mouth: let thy word, I pray thee, be like the word of one of them, and speak that which is good. 14 And Micaiah said, As the Lord liveth, what the Lord saith unto me, that will I speak.

15 So he came to the king. And the king said unto him, Micaiah, shall we go against Ramothgilead to battle, or shall we forbear? And he answered him, Go, and prosper: for the Lord shall deliver it into the hand of the king. 16 And the king said unto him, How many times shall I adjure thee that thou tell me nothing but that which is true in the name of the Lord? 17 And he said, I saw all Israel scattered upon the hills, as sheep that have not a shepherd: and the Lord said, These have no master: let them return every man to his house in peace. 18 And the king of Israel said unto Jehoshaphat, Did I not tell thee that he would prophesy no good concerning me, but evil? 19 And he said, Hear thou therefore the word of the Lord: I saw the Lord sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right hand and on his left. 20 And the Lord said, Who shall persuade Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramothgilead? And one said on this manner, and another said on that manner. 21 And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the Lord, and said, I will persuade him. 22 And the Lord said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so. 23 Now therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the Lord hath spoken evil concerning thee.

24 But Zedekiah the son of Chenaanah went near, and smote Micaiah on the cheek, and said, Which way went the Spirit of the Lord from me to speak unto thee? 25 And Micaiah said, Behold, thou shalt see in that day, when thou shalt go into an inner chamber to hide thyself. 26 And the king of Israel said, Take Micaiah, and carry him back unto Amon the governor of the city, and to Joash the king's son; 27 And say, Thus saith the king, Put this fellow in the prison, and feed him with bread of affliction and with water of affliction, until I come in peace. 28 And Micaiah said, If thou return at all in peace, the Lord hath not spoken by me. And he said, Hearken, O people, every one of you." (1 Kings 22:1-28)

Nov 2, 2016
USA
I thought that might be your passage. Technically he's talking about false teachers but makes a parallel to the false prophets of old. But I think the same principles apply. False teachers likewise have a way of bolstering each other by all repeating the same thing. By the way, the specific reference to this copy-cat phenomenon is in Jeremiah 23:30: "Therefore behold," declares the LORD, "I am against the prophets who steal from each other words they attribute to Me."

I prefer discussing the prophets as I find them more interesting, and I just read over a passage that suggests the false prophets can sometimes be utterly deceived by a lying spirit allowed by God to delude them, similar to how Pharaoh became utterly deluded. But even here I think this only happens when they have consistently given themselves over to falsehood, and God has finally allowed them to be made an example of, together with a king who must now be made an example of as well.

It's weird too. All nonbelievers have the antichrist spirit, but some are more severe than others. The majority of nonbelievers don't log on to Christian forums and preach false doctrine. Most forums have so many members compared to 7 billion people in the world? :D

Reactions: Helen

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I noticed you keep referring to false prophets, yet the verses you quote are always in reference to false teachers.
Peter equated false prophets with false teachers, so the reverse would also be true.

But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. (2 Pet 2:1).

As to whether they know they are false, let's put it this way. They CHOOSE false doctrine, but then promote it as true, and resist every effort to show them how false it it. So they knowingly preach and teach error.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's weird too. All nonbelievers have the antichrist spirit, but some are more severe than others. The majority of nonbelievers don't log on to Christian forums and preach false doctrine. Most forums have so many members compared to 7 billion people in the world? :D

Yep. You will encounter some of the nastiest spirits on the planet on Christian forums, LoL, and it's not by accident. Truly empowered by the evil one, and in many cases they appear to be oblivious to it, as if they think they are somehow being empowered by "God." It's scary. But this is why you have to guard your spirit, lest you become tempted yourself. We can get seduced into a spirit of strife as well if we are not careful, and even true teachers of the word are capable of making mistakes (James 3:1).

Last edited:

Nov 2, 2016
USA
LoL. Unless you're called to, in which case you have no choice but to "bite the bullet" and endure the pain. :D

I think you know you're called to do it when you love what you do. I absolutely LOVE defending OSAS. I find joy in it. Imagine if I got paid for it.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heb 13:8

Who believes that what they believe is wrong? People may do things that they consider wrong, but each person does believe certain things to be true and more or less lives accordingly. If their ways are not God's Way are they not then in delusion? One certain way to get into delusion is to fail to receive the truth and love it:

"And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:" II Thess 2:10-11

Again all of us believe what we believe is right even if we are not all following the ways that we believe are the right ways. Solomon wrote about this long before Jesus was born in Bethlehem:

"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts." Prov 21:2

No, Jesus cannot wake them up; God cannot wake them up. They are blind and deaf and will remain so unless they ask for help. Why would they ask? Because they are hungry and thirsty for the righteousness that they may not even recognize by that name!

"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." Matt 5:6

God gave us the dominion over our own ways. He won't force Himself on anyone but someone who wants to find God's righteousness even not really not knowing how to describe it in words will open his own heart to God and ask for help. When he does will not God then respond to him?

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:" Matt 7:7

So the false prophet or teach may indeed be deluded about what he is saying even believing it to be the truth because he does not love the real Truth which as we may already know is Jesus.

B

brakelite

Balaam knew he was a false prophet...but the money was too enticing.
A few years ago I did a study on Balaam, taken from Numbers chapters 22-24.

1 Corinthians 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

There are 4 major players in this drama.
God
Israel
Balak, king of Moab,
Balaam.
……….with supporting roles from an angel, several sundry politicians and noblemen, and one talking donkey named Shoeshine.

God.…Sovereign. His purposes regarding Israel would be accomplished: no outside interference would be tolerated, interestingly though, as we read through toward the end of the drama, we see that it is….

Israel …..herself that interferes with the purposes of God, yet in the beginning, she is not even aware of the drama that is taking place in the hills around her. (Is this not so much like us? There is a warfare going on about us all the time, yet unseen. Evil angels and true faithful angels to God are constantly at work in our lives for good or evil. Unseen for the most part, yet their influence in our lives is ever present. And while we are faithful ourselves to God’s commandments and our wills are surrendered to His will, nothing can stand in our way. But the moment we turn away from the truth, and the path that God would have us to go, He leaves us to our own choices and only then does Satan find advantage over us.) Then we have...

Balak….Understandably nervous. And so would you be if 3 million people set up camp overnight in your neighborhood and used your letterbox as a boundary marker.

Balaam….A prophet of God once, yet not a part of Israel, which I find very interesting. Melchizadek, Job, and Jethro are other examples from scripture where we read of men of God, even priests, who stood for God in those days yet were not children of Abraham. God is gracious and will raise up anyone to fulfill His purpose to bring light and life to the world. For this purpose He raised Israel, yet He has not confined Himself to only Israel to achieve this. Let us not be complacent because we belong to a certain church or we think to ourselves we are God’s only voice in the world. If we do not that which is required of us, God will pass over us and look to others to accomplish His purposes.
Balaam lived in Mesopotamia., a city called Aram, at least 400 miles east of where Israel were encamped. Balaam’s journey therefore was not an overnight express. So what was God doing through Balaam when he was a faithful prophet? How did Balak, a monarch living 400 miles or so away, know of Balaam? I think that whatever God had done through him when he was a faithful prophet, was something quite great, and Balaam established a reputation that had spread right through the Middle east. This reputation had been gained through an intimate relationship with God. He must have done some mighty works at some stage earlier in his career, to be renowned as a prophet so far from home.

Luke 15:4 What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?

So at some stage, Balaam was God’s man. But he backslid and apostatised, and began using his prophetic gift as a business. Yet God still loved him, still spoke to him, and still gave him opportunity for repentance. God allowed Balaam to get deeper and deeper into the mire in the hope that he would recognise his sin and return to his God. That is, until Balaam totally apostatised by joining Balak and counselling him on how to defeat Israel.

Revelation 2:14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

I believe the life and story of Balaam is a living parable of our day, a living prophecy paralleling Revelation 13. Balaam represents the apostate church of the last days, that joins with the state and becomes a false prophet, turning against the true people of God. The Christian church of today is not in complete sync with the will of God. In practice and in heart, the church of today is following the way of Balaam….

2 Peter 2:15 Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;
Jude 1:11 Woe unto them! … and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward,…..

yet in grace God is still using the church to share the truth of the gospel. Certainly, in the midst of the truth are lies and false doctrine, yet what truth there is God is still graciously using to reach lost humanity. The time will come however when the church will join with the state, just as Balaam finally joined with Balak, as it says in…
Revelation 2:14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

After Balaam joined with Balak wholly, there is no further evidence that God spoke to him. His time had come and God gave him over completely to his chosen course. OSAS? Never.
Note the parallels.
The state, just immediately before the church is to enter the promised land, invites a world loving backsliding church, which although still professing to teach and preach truth, to join with the state to fight with the state in what is perceived as a common threat. (I can see this happening on any number of different fronts. Terrorism, global poverty, environmental concerns such as global warming. While these issues are important, they are not concerns with which the church is to join with the state to start political action. Doing so will immediately place the church in a position of compromise where she will inevitably have to take legislative and punitive action against her own people.) An example of this took place immediately after 9/11. President Bush spoke from a pulpit, saying to the church, that if she would not join with the state against the war on terrorism, then she was placing herself in a position of opposition to the state. Bush even quoted Jesus loosely saying “he who is not for us is against us.”....continued......................

B

brakelite

....continued from above.......

In the story in Numbers, God told Balaam that if the ambassadors came in the morning and asked again if Balaam would join with them, then he could go. They did not, Balaam joined with them anyway, and God was angry and sent His angel to stand in the way. And even then, after the angel warned Balaam that if the donkey hadn’t turned aside and saved his life, the angel would have slain Balaam. Yet Balaam is so determined in his pursuit of gain, admits to his sin and then unbelievably says “If I have displeased you I will go home.” The angel says he can go with the men…God knew what was in his heart and was allowing him to have his way. God will not work against our own wills. He does not force us to agree with Him, nor does He force or compel us to go where we do not first agree. That is why it is so important for the children of God to ensure their own wills are in conformity to God’s will, else we will surely stray and fall into sin and apostasy. Freedom is just so very very important to God, yet that very freedom can be our own downfall if we are not loving God with all our hearts.
The ambassadors left Balaam’s home early, believing Balaam was going to refuse their request…there you have the state separating itself from the church. The US constitution guarantees separation of church and state.
Interestingly it is the church that is claiming the constitution to be outdated or founded on false premises. It is the church that is flat out lobbying the senate and congress and bemoaning the various principles of that document. Just as Balaam chased after the state, so also is the church doing so today. The greater the social breakdown, the less spiritual influence the church perceives she has, so she is now seeking influence through the legislative halls and through the state’s political representatives.

Later in the drama, Balaam finally turns completely against Israel. He counsels Balak on how to defeat Israel, and he does so by enticing Israel to turn toward foreign gods. In Revelation 13 the issue of the last days centers on worship. The stumbling block of the last days that the apostate church places before the true people of God will center on worship. And this is accomplished entirely through deception.

Rev.13:14-17 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live. And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed. And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

“All that dwell upon the earth” are deceived by “miracles’ (not every miracle is of God), into promoting an image to the beast, (a church/state union) which is given power (clearly a democratic decision) to enforce it’s own form of peculiar worship. Those who refuse are persecuted, first through the removal of liberties by way of buying and selling, (which today is entirely possible), and finally by way of a threat of death.

The final act in the drama however sees God have His way. Israel did enter the promised land, minus those who apostatized. And in Revelation 14 we read of the character of those who finally are set in contrast with those who join in the final ecumenical global apostasy.

Rev. 14:9-12 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
Here are they that keep the commandments of God and have the faith of Jesus.

Reactions: Helen and APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@brakelite ...reading some of your work again..my comment on Balaam...

Balaam was stealthy, proud, greedy, self-pleasing and a compromiser with paganism and idols that caused corruption in the true faith of God. He was never a man of God. God was never fooled.

On the one hand Balaam was giving lip service and appeasing God while the other ‘right’ genuine hand was plotting against his will. This was always Balaam’s heart and path. God just allowed Balaam to playout his ‘hand’ and true nature. He never was credited with salvation as Abraham.

God used the hired hand Balaam, the Mesopotamian soothsayer, who planted a curse on Israel and turned it into a blessing. (Deuteronomy 23: 4-5)

As you know, NT has nothing good to say about Balaam either….2 Peter 2:15; Jude 1:11; Rev 2:14.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was a time when a false prophet was one who told not the truth. Today a false profit is one that did not land the minister into a million dollar home. So, in the mind of many, if the message made the million dollars, then it is a true profit and honorable to God.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scripture of the op answers its own question. Blinded. Deafened.

Do Mormons know? Do RC's know? Do Jehovah's witnesses know? Do any other cults know? I Muslims? Of course not. The devil tells them they have the truth.

Reactions: Triumph1300