Does anyone make fruitcake?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just wondering if anyone bakes fruitcake....or likes it.

My elderly mother loves it. We found Collins Bakery in Texas has a delicious fruitcake, lots of nuts and fruits. They are famous and ship all over the world.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

My elderly mother loves it. We found Collins Bakery in Texas has a delicious fruitcake, lots of nuts and fruits. They are famous and ship all over the world.
I like the rich Christmas cake with Wensleydale cheese. The cheese balances the richness of the cake. I make a meal out of it.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I personally have never made it. Baked a lot of things except for this.
I remember my mother making this when I was a child. She would moisten it for weeks after it was baked using brandy, apple slices, and other things while wrapped in plastic wrap.

I remember not really liking it as a child. It just didn't taste good to me. It was either the dates or figs I really didn't like...probably the dried dates. Because I tried a pressed dried fig cake recently it tasted good. The other dried fruits like marichino cherries and dried Citron also were not good either to me as a child. Even though candied the bitter citrus taste always came through.

And making these things from scratch to produce a better product was way beyond my mother's understanding. (It's not mine as I do it regularly and am a professional)

But a bit of history....
Once upon a time fruitcake was once considered wedding cake instead of the buttercream or fondant tiered cake extravaganzas that are common today.
Because instead of a meal at the reception the cake was used to feed people. The specialty of having citrus was "high class" food at the time. And all those dried fruits were considered really expensive as they were sweet....sugar was really expensive by comparison as well.

In today's society processed foods like refined sugar and etc are not so special...they can be expensive but not overly so. It doesn't take half your income to eat well in the USA.

Let me know how it turns out.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to have fruit cake from my Grandmother. It's OK, but my taste is more into berry crumb pies really, with vanilla bean ice cream on the side. Or a good raspberry cheesecake from the Cheescake Factory.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I've never made it, but my wife and I love to eat it!

Much love!

Reactions: Debp

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I've never made it, but my wife and I love to eat it!

Much love!
i made it once when i was very young. It was from recipe in a magazine - I still have it - and it was rally good. My mum, who was a good cook and baker said it was excellent. My husband doesn't like dried fruit so I haven't made it since. Even our wedding cake was sponge which back then was very unusual.

Reactions: Debp and marks

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody like Bara Brith which is a Welsh tea bread made with dried fruit and very easy to make. Delicious with butter.

My daughter used my recipe to make it a bake off at her work and she won.

• Wow
Reactions: Eternally Grateful