does Christ know how many mansions to build?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in Me.
In My Father’s house are many dwelling places: if it were not so, I would have told you: I go to prepare a place for you,
and if I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto Myself, that where I am, there may ye be also.

(John 14:1-3 1599 gnv)​

does God know how many rooms to prepare?
does He build a random number and hope it's enough?
will there be too many? too few?

when does He know? is there ever a time when God doesn't know?

Last edited:

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He calleth His own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.

(John 10:3)

I AM that Good Shepherd,
and know Mine, and am known of Mine.

(John 10:14)​

does God know how many sheep are in His flock?
does He know if He loses one? or figure it must not have been His?
does He lose even one?
does God call goats by name? does He know them? is He known of them?
is God any good at bioscience? physiology? how quickly can He tell a goat from a sheep?

is there any time when God is ignorant of anything?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Psalms 139:1-24 AMP
O LORD, you have searched me [thoroughly] and have known me. You know when I sit down and when I rise up
[my entire life,
everything I do]; You understand my thought from afar.

You scrutinize my path and my lying down, And You are intimately acquainted with all my ways.
Even before there is a word on my tongue [still unspoken], Behold, O LORD, You know it all.
You have enclosed me behind and before, And [You have] placed Your hand upon me.
Such [infinite] knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is too high [above me], I cannot reach it.

Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend to heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in Sheol (the nether world, the place of the dead), behold, You are there.
If I take the wings of the dawn, If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, Even there Your hand will lead me,
And Your right hand will take hold of me.

If I say, “Surely the darkness will cover me, And the night will be the only light around me,” Even the darkness is not dark to You and conceals nothing from You,
But the night shines as bright as the day; Darkness and light are alike to You.

For You formed my innermost parts; You knit me [together] in my mother’s womb. I will give thanks and praise to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works,

And my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from You, When I was being formed in secret, And intricately and skillfully formed [as if embroidered with many colors] in the depths of the earth. Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;

And in Your book were all written The days that were appointed for me, When as yet there was not one of them [even taking shape].

Reactions: post and TLHKAJ

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn’t “house” or “mansion” a mistranslation of “body”?

There are many “bodies” in Heaven? I think the word “abode” comes in mind too.

EddieRamos

Dec 19, 2021
Millville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

@post, we first have to remember that when Jesus was teaching and declaring his truth that he was always speaking in parables.

Matthew 13:34 (KJV 1900)
All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:

A parable is spoken with the sole purpose of concealing truth from the ears of the unsaved.

Matthew 13:10–13 (KJV 1900)
And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? 11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. 12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. 13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

Parables also required understanding on behalf of God's true children.

Mark 4:13 (KJV 1900)
And he said unto them
(unto his disciples), Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables?

So, the plain reading of the text is not what is in view here. In other words, God is not preparing literal mansions for us to live in, instead, we ought to be studying the Bible to figure out what Christ meant by what he said. We ought to be trying to understand the parable.

The word mansion is Strong's #3438 and it's also used in this one other verse:

John 14:23 (KJV 1900)
Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode (our mansion) with him.

The mansion therefore, is being used as a type of dwelling, but not like we typically think when we hear the word "mansion". Instead, it's referring to God making his dwelling with each one he has saved. Understanding what Christ means by "mansions" is also helpful is we look at the second comparison made in the same verse.

John 14:2 (KJV 1900)
In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

The word "place" is also translated as "room". "I go to prepare a room for you". This also helps us understand that it is not a literal mansion that Christ is preparing, like so many think. Both words, "mansion" and "room" or "place" have to do with the dwelling that Christ makes with us upon salvation.

I hope this helps.

Bruce Atkinson

Sep 25, 2021
Western MA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remember that God the Son, Jesus, SPOKE everything into creation in Genesis 1:1.

Obviously, He knows how many people have been saved up to this moment in time and likely knows how many will be saved before the rapture takes us out of here. So, how can anyone doubt that Jesus will simply SPEAK more dwelling places/houses/mansions (depending on translation) into existence at the rapture?

Trying to 'assign' human attributes such as over/underestimation to God is a mistake. He doesn't get surprised as it's all laid out according to his perfect plan and timing.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Fathers house must be huge to fit mansions in his own house. From what I understand these mansions are your spiritual resurrected body. In which you will inhabit after this life.

Reactions: GaryAnderson

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There are many “bodies” in Heaven? I think the word “abode” comes in mind too.
The mansion therefore, is being used as a type of dwelling

guys, i quoted the GNV throughout; it uses the word dwelling place, not mansion.
'mansion' is a KJV thing, iirc, but i put it in the thread title because i presume it is the version most readers will recognize.

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

nope. not at all.

Thayer's:

STRONGS NT 3438: μόνη

μόνη, μόνης, ἡ (μένω) (from Herodotus down), a staying, abiding, dwelling, abode: John 14:2; μόνην ποιεῖν (L T Tr WH ποιεῖσθαι, as in Thucydides 1, 131; Josephus, Antiquities 8, 13, 7; 13, 2, 1), to make an (one's) abode, παρά τίνι metaphorically, of God and Christ by their power and spirit exerting a most blessed influence on the souls of believers, John 14:23; see ποιῶ, 1 c.

Reactions: GaryAnderson

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remember that God the Son, Jesus, SPOKE everything into creation in Genesis 1:1.

Obviously, He knows how many people have been saved up to this moment in time and likely knows how many will be saved before the rapture takes us out of here. So, how can anyone doubt that Jesus will simply SPEAK more dwelling places/houses/mansions (depending on translation) into existence at the rapture?

Trying to 'assign' human attributes such as over/underestimation to God is a mistake. He doesn't get surprised as it's all laid out according to his perfect plan and timing.
Bruce, you know the rules of safe gun handling. Never let your muzzle cover anything you don't want to see destroyed. Now point that thing in a safe direction.

I'm trying to guess the caliber. No slide, so it's gotta be a big-bore revolver. .44 Magnum or .45 Long Colt?

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

there is no 'likely' -- God knows all things. at all times He knows all things.

clearly He could instantaneously create/prepare the exact number of dwelling places.
but He doesn't. He 'goes and prepares a place' - which is wedding ceremony language - and that takes time.
why time?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In My Father’s house are many dwelling places: if it were not so, I would have told you: I go to prepare a place for you,
and if I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto Myself, that where I am, there may ye be also.

In this case yes. Jesus was speaking to his apostles when he said that. They would reside with him in heaven, actually referred to as his bride. The Bible later revealed the number of those who would be bought from the earth to reside in heaven at Rev 14:3

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think God is a pretty good predictor. I disagree with those who believe God knows my every decision before I make it, but I think he has a good idea what I am going to do.

This is controversial, but I think in the end we will all choose heaven over hell, though it only comes to pass if we repent of our sin. And so God prepares a room for all of us, I suspect.

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is controversial, but I think in the end we will all choose heaven over hell, though it only comes to pass if we repent of our sin. And so God prepares a room for all of us, I suspect.

that's going to mean a whole lot more empty rooms than occupied ones.
"narrow is the way leading to life, and few find it"

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that's going to mean a whole lot more empty rooms than occupied ones.
"narrow is the way leading to life, and few find it"
Sin has consequences, turning our lives into awful experiences. I think in the end people will realize that sin isn't worth it.

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sin has consequences, turning our lives into awful experiences. I think in the end people will realize that sin isn't worth it.

why would God put empty houses in heaven?
so we can look at them and mourn? to weep as we remember the former things?
so the names of the wicked will be remembered forever?

does that seem consistent with scripture?

does He know His sheep, how many and who are His, and will He lose even one?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
why would God put empty houses in heaven?
so we can look at them and mourn? to weep as we remember the former things?
so the names of the wicked will be remembered forever?

does that seem consistent with scripture?

does He know His sheep, how many and who are His, and will He lose even one?
Where does it say there are empty houses in heaven?

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does it say there are empty houses in heaven?

you said God prepares a room for everyone.
but scripture is not unclear about whether there will be universal salvation.