Does Evangelizing mean knocking on doors.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
You Know that Jws and i think Mormons usually go knock and doors and tell em about the church and God but what does Evangelical mean.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
anytime these guys have knocked on my door they have never had anything interesting to say and it leaves me wondering what they want

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, would you advertise your married relationship by going door to door? Why would you promote your deepest relationship in this way.....

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You Know that Jws and i think Mormons usually go knock and doors and tell em about the church and God but what does Evangelical mean.
Try this from Strong's:

G2097
εὐαγγελίζω
euaggelizō
yoo-ang-ghel-id'-zo
From G2095 and G32; to announce good news (“evangelize”) especially the gospel: - declare, bring (declare, show) glad (good) tidings, preach (the gospel).
Total KJV occurrences: 55

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Evangelizing is to share the Gospel. It can be done anyway, by sharing words or (much more effectively) sharing via showing.

Sidenote: Even JW and LDS don't really do much door-to-door now a day in the USA.

Mister Michael

Sep 13, 2018
Florida
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Evangelizing is to share the Gospel. It can be done anyway, by sharing words or (much more effectively) sharing via showing.

Sidenote: Even JW and LDS don't really do much door-to-door now a day in the USA.
i know jws do cart wittnessing
what does the LDS do currently?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i know jws do cart wittnessing
what does the LDS do currently?
LDS and JW approaches to informal and formal evangelizing has always been very different. You already know JW style, so I'll just highlight LDS--

Informal (which is 99% of the time): “every member a missionary” is a motto. You’re always a missionary because people always see you. That doesn’t mean you have to go around constantly asking everyone “hey, do you want to talk about Christ?” – that would be TOTALLY obnoxious for everyone involved!! Instead, just be a disciple of Christ in your day to day life at work, school, etc. LDS folks are involved in their communities and have non-LDS friends freely. People see you’re kind, respectful, care about people, morally upright, etc. A person *seeing* who you are day-to-day is worth way more than a random spiel on the doorstep.

Another thing is that with people you know and can talk about life, you don’t have to hide the fact that you’re religious. For example: if you ask what I did this weekend, I don’t need to hide the fact that I went to church on Sunday. If my friend asks what I did last night, if the honest answer is “I taught Youth Group last night and we had a great hike together!” I’ll say it. And if they want to talk about it more, we can, or we can talk about the next random topic—zero pressure or “pushing” anything. (Ga, I hate pushing things).

Formal—aka, the <1% of the time LDS person spends with a little black nametag—formal missionaries aren’t from that local area. Rather they’re assigned an area far away from home. Time is spent focused on teaching people and serving everyone. Little time is actually spent trying to find people, rather people are usually referred to them either by knowing local people, or interest from other sources.

djstav

Sep 9, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
I think you know what it means, your a lot smarter than the average B Bear.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Re: JW's and Mormons....
----------------------------------

Christians are to lazy to do this.
Most people don't even know if their coworkers are Christians or not.

If the average Christian was as dedicated as some of these cults the world would be changed.

Christ send his followers out 2x2, 2000 years ago.
Cults are using this as a sample. And fanatic about it.

Christians are sitting home watching junk shows out of Hollywood.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Re: JW's and Mormons....
----------------------------------

Christians are to lazy to do this.
Most people don't even know if their coworkers are Christians or not.

If the average Christian was as dedicated as some of these cults the world would be changed.

Christ send his followers out 2x2, 2000 years ago.
Cults are using this as a sample. And fanatic about it.

Christians are sitting home watching junk shows out of Hollywood.
Suppose I'll take that as a complement? :p

To their credit, I know a fair amount of Baptists, Evangelicals, Catholics, and non-demonational folks who are outstanding models of what it to be a Christian and really do shine that way.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have gone door to door with friends in the past. First question they would ask me is if we were a Mormon or Jehovah's witness. :rolleyes: I would tell them no and just ask if I could pray with them about anything and share with them some scriptures about Jesus Christ.

I haven't done that since college. I was part of an on campus ministry, but haven't done that in many years. We would be knocking on doors every weekend...but I guess I lost some of that boldness. You have honestly inspired me to look at the Great Commission more again and get back to sharing about Jesus. Though I would not go alone and probably would want to go with my husband now when our daughter wasn't with us being so little.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't get out much these days... But my husband goes to the mall..gets a coffee and sit in the foodcourt.
Then he starts chatting to people around him. He comes home with many stories..some people let him pray for them.

In our you younger days we did 5 years evangelizing in Pubs, clubs and Bars...( always getting the owners permission obviously ...they got to know us well Ha! )

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have gone door to door with friends in the past. First question they would ask me is if we were a Mormon or Jehovah's witness. :rolleyes: I would tell them no and just ask if I could pray with them about anything and share with them some scriptures about Jesus Christ.

I haven't done that since college. I was part of an on campus ministry, but haven't done that in many years. We would be knocking on doors every weekend...but I guess I lost some of that boldness. You have honestly inspired me to look at the Great Commission more again and get back to sharing about Jesus. Though I would not go alone and probably would want to go with my husband now when our daughter wasn't with us being so little.

Done similar.
Walking downtown passing out a tracts and talking.
On saturday nights.
In the 1980's.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it works the other way around...they listen better once we have some kind of relationship with them. :)

I realized this over the years. I was more bold in sharing 10 years ago, but I was also a bit legalistic and judgemental. You honestly would be surprised how I would have responded to Mr. Michael in the past and Jane. :( But developing relationships with people and seeing them how our Father sees them, shows the love of God. When I worked at Wal-Mart, people would come to me a lot to pray for them. I don't work now, but when I go in there, I am close to a lot of them and friends on Facebook. Christians are sometimes the only church people see, and sometimes those examples are not the best.