Does evil exist?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

univac

May 29, 2008
Does evil exist? Did God create evil?A University professor at a well known institution of higher learning challenged his students with this question. "Did God create everything that exists?"A student bravely replied, "Yes he did!""God created everything?" the professor asked."Yes sir, he certainly did," the student replied.The professor answered, "If God created everything; then God created evil.And, since evil exists, and according to the principal that our works define who we are, then we can assume God is evil."The student became quiet and did not answer the professor's hypothetical definition. The professor, quite pleased with himself, boasted to the students that he had proven once more that the Christian faith was a myth.Another student raised his hand and said, "May I ask you a question, professor?""Of course", replied the professor.The student stood up and asked, "Professor, does cold exist?""What kind of question is this? Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?"The other students snickered at the young man's question.The young man replied, "In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in reality the absence of heat. Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-460 F) is the total absence of heat; and all matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat."The student continued, "Professor, does darkness exist?"The professor answered "Of course".The student replied, "Once again you are wrong sir, darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness. In fact, we can use Newton's prism to break white light into many colors and study the various wavelengths of each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn't this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present."Finally the young man asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?"Now uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course, as I have already said. We see it everyday. It is in the daily examples of man's inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil."To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist, sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat, or the darkness that comes when there is no light."The professor sat down

Lunar

Nov 23, 2007
univac, with all due respect, it's kind of pretentious that you keep posting these anecdotes for us in the "Answers for Non-Christians" forum. This forum is for precisely that - for non-Christians to ask questions of Christians. It is not your pulpit, and you don't need to force these issues upon us. If we have questions, we will bring them up. All something like this is is flamebait.As for the original post, it's hardly convincing. It begs the question - if evil is the absence of God, then why was God absent? Why is God absent when a child dies in stillbirth, or when a hurricane devastates a peaceful village?Bonus points for the demonization of liberal academia, though, that never gets old.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Lunar;58985)
univac, with all due respect, it's kind of pretentious that you keep posting these anecdotes for us in the "Answers for Non-Christians" forum. This forum is for precisely that - for non-Christians to ask questions of Christians. It is not your pulpit, and you don't need to force these issues upon us. If we have questions, we will bring them up. All something like this is is flamebait.As for the original post, it's hardly convincing. It begs the question - if evil is the absence of God, then why was God absent? Why is God absent when a child dies in stillbirth, or when a hurricane devastates a peaceful village?Bonus points for the demonization of liberal academia, though, that never gets old.
The original post is clear as water. Why is evil, the absense of God? Because people chose to take that path... as they don't look for Him, but instead to create lies...to try to disprove Him which is completely foolish.The original post is so sweet if you understand the meaning of Christ and God's Words.

Shornaal

May 20, 2008
(Jordan;59173)
The original post is clear as water. Why is evil, the absense of God? Because people chose to take that path... as they don't look for Him, but instead to create lies...to try to disprove Him with is completely foolish.The original post is so sweet if you understand the meaning of Christ and God's Words.
You have been forcefed lies for so long you've learned to like them.I pity you.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Shornaal;59175)
(Jordan;59173)
The original post is clear as water. Why is evil, the absense of God? Because people chose to take that path... as they don't look for Him, but instead to create lies...to try to disprove Him which is completely foolish.The original post is so sweet if you understand the meaning of Christ and God's Words.
You have been forcefed lies for so long you've learned to like them.I pity you.Glad to meet you again Shornaal.Knowing that a human can lie, do you really think I can believe this nonsense? And how can telling the Truth brainwash me? And by the way I hate lies.I will pray for thee.

jeffhughes

Jul 27, 2008
I could almost accept this as an answer, if all evil actions were caused by human beings with this "free will" everyone likes to talk about so much. But unfortunately, there is much evil in this world that does not occur as a result of human actions. As Lunar pointed out, children dying in stillbirth, hurricanes destroying villages...I'd add earthquakes, disease, and severe genetic defect. All of these are evil actions, why? Because a supposedly all-powerful God did not stop them.We call it doing evil when we have the power and the means to save someone from harm, yet don't. We call it evil when we can do good and refrain from doing so. And therefore, this all-powerful God, who has the ability to stop all evil and all suffering, does not do so. This makes God evil.The only way around this is to presuppose that somehow God is not evil despite the facts I just brought up, and try to fit "love" into the very definition of God to somehow "prove" that he isn't evil. But this doesn't answer the question; it only tries to avoid it.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(jeffhughes;59190)
I could almost accept this as an answer, if all evil actions were caused by human beings with this "free will" everyone likes to talk about so much. But unfortunately, there is much evil in this world that does not occur as a result of human actions. As Lunar pointed out, children dying in stillbirth, hurricanes destroying villages...I'd add earthquakes, disease, and severe genetic defect. All of these are evil actions, why? Because a supposedly all-powerful God did not stop them.We call it doing evil when we have the power and the means to save someone from harm, yet don't. We call it evil when we can do good and refrain from doing so. And therefore, this all-powerful God, who has the ability to stop all evil and all suffering, does not do so. This makes God evil.The only way around this is to presuppose that somehow God is not evil despite the facts I just brought up, and try to fit "love" into the very definition of God to somehow "prove" that he isn't evil. But this doesn't answer the question; it only tries to avoid it.
So you blamed God for the actions He never committed but humans. If the whole world was on the same page, (with God) we would never gotten earthquakes, hurricanes etc. at all.Again it goes back to the original post.

Sasha

Jul 27, 2008
God has given US the authority over satan and dominion over this earth. Luke 8:22-25 There was a storm, fierce gales wind were blowing, and surging waves were crashing against the boat, filling it with water. The deciples woke Jesus up from a pleasant, peaceful nap, and cried out "Don't you even care that we die?" Jesus stood up and said "Peace" to the wind, and "Be still" to the waves. The wind died down, and the water were calm, then Jesus turned to the deciples and said "Why are you timid? How is it that you have no faith?" Jesus told us that we would do the same works that He did. WE are to rebuke the winds and the waves. WE have been given EVERYTHING pertaining to life and godliness. Dominion over the earth, and authority over satan and all his demons. STOP BLAMING GOD!! God works THROUGH us, if we let Him. If you are asking "Why does God allow this to happen?" It's because of YOU, you have not allowed God to operate through you with the power of His Holy Spirit! SATAN comes to kill, still and destroy, through tornados, earthquakes, hurricans, etc. IT IS UP TO US, THE CHILDREN OF GOD, TO TAKE DOMINION, AND REBUKE THESE THINGS. IN THE NAME OF JESUS. That's how God works!All diseases, sicknesses, lust, jealousy, greed the list goes on and on, these are all demons sent from satan. SATAN comes to kill, still, and destroy. Jesus told us that we have authority over satan and all his power. (demons) So, IT IS UP TO US, THE CHILDREN OF GOD, TO TAKE AUTHORITY OVER SATAN AND HIS DEMONS. IN THE NAME OF JESUS. That's how God works!! Stop blaming God, and start repenting for not using the authority and domine He has given us!May the eyes of your heart be opened.

jeffhughes

Jul 27, 2008
(Jordan;59207)
So you blamed God for the actions He never committed but humans. If the whole world was on the same page, (with God) we would never gotten earthquakes, hurricanes etc. at all.Again it goes back to the original post.
Right. Because we, of course, are responsible for unpredictable natural disasters and incurable diseases. Of course. How could I be so blind...Chapter and verse, please. The only times I see in the Bible that talk about natural disasters are when God sends them upon people - e.g. the flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, etc...(Sasha;59219)
Jesus told us that we would do the same works that He did. WE are to rebuke the winds and the waves. WE have been given EVERYTHING pertaining to life and godliness. Dominion over the earth, and authority over satan and all his demons. STOP BLAMING GOD!! God works THROUGH us, if we let Him. If you are asking "Why does God allow this to happen?" It's because of YOU, you have not allowed God to operate through you with the power of His Holy Spirit!
No no, not because of me. Because of YOU! Since you are the one that believes this, I would ask you why you haven't been rebuking Hurricane Gustav or Ike. Why didn't these fizzle out before ruining people's homes and lives? According to you, you are to blame. YOU didn't try hard enough. YOU didn't stop thousands of people from dying. YOU didn't stop the gigantic storms.(Sasha;59219)
SATAN comes to kill, still and destroy, through tornados, earthquakes, hurricans, etc. IT IS UP TO US, THE CHILDREN OF GOD, TO TAKE DOMINION, AND REBUKE THESE THINGS. IN THE NAME OF JESUS. That's how God works!
Then why on earth are there so many disasters still around? I mean, come on, Christianity is the largest religion in the world, and certainly there are plenty of Christians praying for these types of disasters to end. Every time a hurricane comes up, there are plenty of people praying. Do they not have enough faith? Or does God just ignore them? Or is Satan stronger than God? Hmm...something here doesn't add up. If God's given us the power to stop these things, then why do they still happen?(Sasha;59219)
All diseases, sicknesses, lust, jealousy, greed the list goes on and on, these are all demons sent from satan. SATAN comes to kill, still, and destroy.Jesus told us that we have authority over satan and all his power. (demons) So, IT IS UP TO US, THE CHILDREN OF GOD, TO TAKE AUTHORITY OVER SATAN AND HIS DEMONS. IN THE NAME OF JESUS. That's how God works!!
I could ask for a chapter and verse on this one, but I know this is just something you've made up yourself anyways...so I won't even bother.(Sasha;59219)
Stop blaming God, and start repenting for not using the authority and domine He has given us!May the eyes of your heart be opened.
I blame God (if he exists, that is) because either way, he is the supposed source of power to stop the suffering of this world. Either he hasn't given us enough power, or else he's incapable of stopping it. Or else you've deluded yourself into thinking that it's somehow all your fault (or mine, actually). This is a non-sensical way of looking at the world.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(Shornaal;59175)
You have been forcefed lies for so long you've learned to like them.I pity you.
Shornaal This space is provided for those having question about us and our faith it is not for rude insulting remarks against our choice of Christianity We do not ask you to believe but we also dont have to be subjected to smart elic remarks, either ask your questions or move on.

Sasha

Jul 27, 2008
No no, not because of me. Because of YOU! Since you are the one that believes this, I would ask you why you haven't been rebuking Hurricane Gustav or Ike. Why didn't these fizzle out before ruining people's homes and lives? According to you, you are to blame. YOU didn't try hard enough. YOU didn't stop thousands of people from dying. YOU didn't stop the gigantic storms.I have dominion over the state that I live in , the town that I live in, the house that I live in, the family I live with and the body I live in.Then why on earth are there so many disasters still around? I mean, come on, Christianity is the largest religion in the world, and certainly there are plenty of Christians praying for these types of disasters to end. Every time a hurricane comes up, there are plenty of people praying. Do they not have enough faith? Or does God just ignore them? Or is Satan stronger than God? Hmm...something here doesn't add up. If God's given us the power to stop these things, then why do they still happen?You're praying to God to do something, He has already done it, by giving US the power of the Holy Spirit and the authority to use it. That's how God works is THROUGH US. We need to stop looking at ourselves as little tiny Christians in a big bad world, WE ARE THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD, WE HAVE THE SPIRIT OF GOD IN US. I could ask for a chapter and verse on this one, but I know this is just something you've made up yourself anyways...so I won't even bother.I just gave you one, Jesus rebuked the wind and the waves. You may be the one that does a study on this, I already have. Make sure you confirm what I'm saying with 2 or more witnesses.I blame God (if he exists, that is) because either way, he is the supposed source of power to stop the suffering of this world. Either he hasn't given us enough power, or else he's incapable of stopping it. Or else you've deluded yourself into thinking that it's somehow all your fault (or mine, actually). This is a non-sensical way of looking at the world.[/QUOTE]Or we don't know how to use Gods power, because we don't even believe He has given it to us. When His word tells us He has.

Alpha and Omega

May 11, 2008
Matthew 17:20And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

Shornaal

May 20, 2008
(Christina;59231)
Shornaal This space is provided for those having question about us and our faith it is not for rude insulting remarks against our choice of Christianity We do not ask you to believe but we also dont have to be subjected to smart elic remarks, either ask your questions or move on.
If she says my beliefs are wrong have I not the right to treat her the same?

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Shornaal;59243)
(Christina;59231)
ShornaalThis space is provided for those having question about us and our faithit is not for rude insulting remarks against our choice of Christianity We do not ask you to believe but we also dont have to be subjected to smart elic remarks, either ask your questions or move on.
If she says my beliefs are wrong have I not the right to treat her the same?I am a guy... And your belief is wrong. It contradicts God's Words. Along with your statement in below quote.(Shornaal;59175)
You have been forcefed lies for so long you've learned to like them. ...

jeffhughes

Jul 27, 2008
(Sasha;59234)
I have dominion over the state that I live in , the town that I live in, the house that I live in, the family I live with and the body I live in.
I dare say that there are enough Christians all over this planet that, collectively, they should be able to end all suffering. Either Christians are incompetent, or else they do not have the power you say they do. Have you ever done such a thing as to rebuke a storm and have it stop? Have you gone up to someone with cancer or AIDS and said, "I rebuke you, disease", and have them healed? I highly doubt it. It's one thing to say you have power. It's another thing to demonstrate it.(Sasha;59234)
You're praying to God to do something, He has already done it, by giving US the power of the Holy Spirit and the authority to use it. That's how God works is THROUGH US. We need to stop looking at ourselves as little tiny Christians in a big bad world, WE ARE THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD, WE HAVE THE SPIRIT OF GOD IN US.
Then DO IT. Why don't you start travelling the world and ending disease right now? Hmm? Come on, if you truly believe you have this power, and if you are trying to model Christ, then you should do the loving thing and start travelling the world, ridding it of suffering and disease. Book a plane ticket. Travel to Africa. Start rebuking the AIDS demons. Or are you too afraid to find out that you might not have this alleged power?(Sasha;59234)
I just gave you one, Jesus rebuked the wind and the waves. You may be the one that does a study on this, I already have. Make sure you confirm what I'm saying with 2 or more witnesses.
This verse does not say anything about demons. It just talks about a storm, and then Jesus stops it. There is nothing in the Bible about demons causing earthquakes, storms, hurricanes, etc.(Sasha;59234)
Or we don't know how to use Gods power, because we don't even believe He has given it to us. When His word tells us He has.
Well, you obviously do, so put your money where your mouth is. When I see the news reports, I'll take you more seriously.(Alpha and Omega;59239)
Matthew 17:20And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.
I have never witnessed a mountain being moved, other than through the very slow shifting of the tectonic plates. Do you not move mountains because you don't truly believe this verse is true, or because you do not have this power? I would like a mountain to be placed by my house, if you are able. I've always wanted to say I had a mountain view. Unfortunately, when I was a Christian, I was never able to tap into this supposed power. Perhaps you can help me out?

Alpha and Omega

May 11, 2008
(jeffhughes;59251)
Unfortunately, when I was a Christian, I was never able to tap into this supposed power.
Thats the point.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.Proverbs 3:6 - In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.Proverbs 3:7 - Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil...........Proverbs 1:7 - The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Shornaal

May 20, 2008
(Jordan;59244)
I am a guy... And your belief is wrong. It contradicts God's Words. Along with your statement in below quote.
Your belief is wrong, it contradicts reason and my words.If God has a problem with it he can come see me himself.Also since you guys don't believe in hell I have nothing to fear from not following him, I'd rather die the second death than live forever.