Does God Tell Us to Trust Everyone?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FrappeLover

Jul 10, 2017
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been reading a little bit on the fruit of the spirit in Galatians 5. And one of the elements, as we know, of the spirit is love. And then I asked, "well what is love? " I decided to look at 1 Corinthians 13 for the answers since that's what my mom showed me when I was little.
1 Corinthians 13:4-8 says
"
Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away."

In verse 7 the phrase I made bold tells us to believe in the people we love. The bible makes it quite clear to love others:

" A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another" John 13:34

" Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God." 1 John 4:7

"Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another" 1 John 4:11

Just to list a few examples. So if we must love everybody. Does that mean we must trust everyone too? The bible says love is trust, and it says love everybody too. What about those that will try to deceive us or use lies to harm us. Do we trust them too. Can somebody clarify this for me?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Personally I find nowhere where the Lord asks us to trust mankind.
Love them yes, but trust no.
That would be foolishness. We are called to forgive one another.
If someone has stabbed me in the back...yes, I am told to love them and forgive them and hold no bitterness in my heart. I am not told to trust them.
I would not be stupid enough to turn my back on some one holding a knife.

In Psalm 118.8 We read :- "It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man."
And this is echoed many times in God's word.

Bless you.

FrappeLover

Jul 10, 2017
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Grace, thanks for responding. I agree with you completely it is foolishness to trust everyone under the sun. But what exactly did God mean by 'love is trust" in 1 Corinthians 13. What im saying is I just don't understand the passage in question

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I do not see the word 'trust' in 1 Cor 13.

1 Corinthians 13 KJV
13 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

You are looking at verse 7....."Believeth all things." right.
That is not referring to men.

The only one thing we are told to believe is The Truth. The only one who is the truth is Jesus Christ. God's truth is all the matters, and that is what we are told to believe. It's unshakable. :)

Bless you.

Reactions: Truth

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, trusting people to act within human limits is an important aspect of being vulnerable and loving relationships. We are called to love everyone....

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Come on.....I just said what "I " believe what Paul is so obviously was say. God does not contradict Himself. He would not say otften " don't trust men" ...He also told us not to trust our ourself or our feelings. NOWHERE in that Chapter does it refer to men. As I read it , everything is Godward.
* But...you are totally free to believe what 'you' like.*

As I already said < That is not referring to men. ( Paul is saying believe all things that God has told us.)

The only one thing we are told to believe is The Truth. The only One who is the truth is Jesus Christ. God's truth is all the matters, and that is what we are told to believe. It's unshakable. :)

Bless you. >

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
1.beareth all things. ( That will come upon you as you walk this walk)
2. believeth all things ( That you have been told from God Jesus Holy Ghost, the apostles the word of God)
3. hopeth all things ( Set you heart hope in these things and in God always in all situations)
4. endureth all things ( Just like paul peter and Jesus did and God did)

FrappeLover

Jul 10, 2017
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was only trying to get clarification on one bible passage. Sorry if that offended you Grace. I'll just have to have faith in God and in his word. His Word is the true in all things afterall. I'll stop asking questions now, but thanks for trying your best in helping me.

Copperhead

Jul 3, 2017
iowa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This seems to sum up the perspective we are to have....

Matthew 10:16 (NKJV) “Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.

Reactions: GodsGrace and Truth

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was only trying to get clarification on one bible passage. Sorry if that offended you Grace. I'll just have to have faith in God and in his word. His Word is the true in all things afterall. I'll stop asking questions now, but thanks for trying your best in helping me.

Goodness. Not at all, I wasn't offended one bit, far from it!! ✟

It's me that should be apologize.... for rambling ....I do tend to do that!!
Sorry that I foolishly misunderstood your OP intent. :(

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been reading a little bit on the fruit of the spirit in Galatians 5. And one of the elements, as we know, of the spirit is love. And then I asked, "well what is love? " I decided to look at 1 Corinthians 13 for the answers since that's what my mom showed me when I was little.
1 Corinthians 13:4-8 says
"
Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away."

In verse 7 the phrase I made bold tells us to believe in the people we love. The bible makes it quite clear to love others:

" A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another" John 13:34

" Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God." 1 John 4:7

"Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another" 1 John 4:11

Just to list a few examples. So if we must love everybody. Does that mean we must trust everyone too? The bible says love is trust, and it says love everybody too. What about those that will try to deceive us or use lies to harm us. Do we trust them too. Can somebody clarify this for me?

(1John 4:1) "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world."

In the verses you gave we are not told to love everybody. We are told to love the brethren.

(John 17:6) "I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world:...."
(John 17:9) "I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine."
(John 17:14) "I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world."
(John 17:23) " ...that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them as thou hast loved me."

Stranger

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
These passages are as I believe a statement about the nature of love. They can apply to Gods relationship with us, or vice versa. Also our relationship with others.

There was a change in my mindset when I became a Christian. I started to understand that people do not know what they do. I stopped assuming malace is the ultimate cause of people doing evil to others, but they are instead manipulated by what they are taught. So I try to believe people are sincere, even when they say the most ridiculous things.

Look at the woman at the well, Jesus could have called her a liar. However he found a way for her words to be true.

Peanut

Jul 19, 2017
goodbye
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, God does not instruct us to trust everyone.
Micah 7:5-15
Psalm 118:9 It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in princes.

Isaiah 2:22 Don’t put your trust in mere humans. They are as frail as breath. What good are they?
Jeremiah 9:4 Take ye heed every one of his neighbor, and trust ye not in any brother; for every brother will utterly supplant, and every neighbor will go about with slanders.

KJV Bible Verses About Trust No Man

The devil was once an angel after all.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These passages are as I believe a statement about the nature of love. They can apply to Gods relationship with us, or vice versa. Also our relationship with others.

There was a change in my mindset when I became a Christian. I started to understand that people do not know what they do. I stopped assuming malace is the ultimate cause of people doing evil to others, but they are instead manipulated by what they are taught. So I try to believe people are sincere, even when they say the most ridiculous things.

Look at the woman at the well, Jesus could have called her a liar. However he found a way for her words to be true.

Jesus didn't find a way for the woman's words to be true. They were true.

Stranger

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This seems to sum up the perspective we are to have....

Matthew 10:16 (NKJV) “Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.

Love is an emotion of the Heart which we have the ability to project towards another, which we are to do, to love some one, we most often times have been around them awhile! then there is loving those we do not rely know, which I have experienced, and some of, if not most of you have experienced, Like thinking of those that are Lost, In one of the Gospels, when Jesus road in on the Donkey, it says He wept, I know that he did for Israel, because they were Lost, Love is not the essence of trust, but I believe that we should always give people the Benefit of Doubt, some what as copperhead said, be "wise" and "harmless" at the same time. Also without the Love of God within us, which is the Love we should project, we would be of no effect!

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not see the word 'trust' in 1 Cor 13.

1 Corinthians 13 KJV
13 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

You are looking at verse 7....."Believeth all things." right.
That is not referring to men.

The only one thing we are told to believe is The Truth. The only one who is the truth is Jesus Christ. God's truth is all the matters, and that is what we are told to believe. It's unshakable. :)

Bless you.

Beautiful Passage, Every one should commit it to Memory, Just reading it lifted my Spirit!

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I know a Jew that is a believer in Jesus that lives in Israel, and he had an opportunity to spend a day with the Samaritans on the first day of the Feast of booths, and he had two other Jews with him that are fluent in the Palieo Hebrew, and they have a Torah Scroll that reads you shall worship at Mt Garazim, there are like 230 differences in their Scroll than the Torah that Israel uses. Unfortunately when the northern tribes were taken into captivity, the Gentiles that they placed in that region were being attacked by lions, so the King sent the NON-PRIESTS that got the northern tribes taken into captivity, by breaking the Commandments of God, to teach these Gentiles to worship the God of the region, but used the very Torah that was their demise! the woman was telling the truth as she knew it!