Does the day of Christ resurrection tell us to worship on Sunday?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Early Christians continued to pray and rest on the seventh day, and observe the Sabbath. But apostasy began to creep in the church, especially at Rome and by the 2nd century AD you start to find were some began to hold both, and soon a number of Christians affected by the spreading apostasy were observing only Sunday and not the Sabbath.

Take a look...https://www.christianitytoday.com/hi...turday-to.html
Notice they don't know why but just throw out "because the Resurrection and the beginning of Creation had both occurred on the first day of the week" But at Creation it was the seventh day that was made sanctified and made holy and clearly Christ rested on the Sabbath and then came up on Sunday.

This was the first idea that was spread around to find a way to set aside or disregard the Sabbath, and set another day. So did Christ rise and tell the Disciples something that was not in scripture or was it written down and somehow got lost, God doesnt work that way. Now people began to say 'I keep Sunday in honor of the Resurrection' or that they were told that the Apostles began keeping Sunday as the day of worship after the resurrection for a variety of reasons, but did they. No, the early church clearly kept the Sabbath.

So is there any chance the resurrection somehow cause a change to the day of worship? Well, worship is the reason for the Sabbath and it is the only day God ever gave us to worship Him on. That which God gives us is the truth and we are to believe it and obey it, especially when its straight from His Word. It tells us, "Sanctify them through Thy truth: Thy Word is truth."John 17:17 and we read, "Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit."1 Peter 1:22.

It is not safe to refuse obedience to the obvious truths of God’s Word. "He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination." Proverbs 28:9.

So what does the clear Word of God tell us when men come up with changes to what God has given us, or bring in tradition which go against Gods Law. "We ought to obey God rather than men." Acts 5:29.

So does the resurrection change the day of the Sabbath, well the problem is that God never told anyone to keep Sunday in honor of the resurrection of Christ, or for any other reason. Lets go over them and see...

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another idea which is currently being given is "Jesus is my rest." But its clear, Jesus is not a "day" nor is He ever symbolically/metaphorically linked to being a 'day' in the Bible. He's linked to being "the vine", "the lamb", "the door", "the rock" and many other things but never, not once, a "day". We must stick to the Bible and not make ideas or our own interpretation to fit a creed, confession or tradition.

To "rest in Jesus" actually has three meanings; first, to rest on the Sabbath day (Heb 4:4&9), second, to be one of the righteous dead (1 Thess. 4:14) for you are literally resting in Jesus' love and protection. Matthew 11:28 - Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. And third, Jesus can absolutely give us spiritual rest, but we cannot "cease from all work" seven days a week. To do so is not holy, and not what God made for man at Creation.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the most prevalent was that "The Sabbath was for the Jews.¨ But it is not a Jewish institution, for it was made about 2,300 years before Jews existed, right at creation.Genesis 2:2-3. To say the Sabbath is just for Jews is to say that marriage is just for the Jews as well since both the Sabbath and marriage were given to Adam and Eve in the beginning.

The Bible never calls it the Jewish Sabbath, but always "the Sabbath of the Lord thy God" or "my Sabbath¨ (meaning it is God's Sabbath).
Its clear what Mark 2:27 says "And he said unto them, The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath:"
Made for who? MAN! That is a silly way to spell Jew or Israelite. “Man” here means mankind.

God has pronounced a special blessing on all the Gentiles who will keep it.
Isaiah 56:6-7
"Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people."

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now many cite the following Colossians 2:14-16:
Col 2:14-16 "Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath days:"

This verse is referring to the Mosaic Law (ceremonial law) and this is evident by the inclusion of the "new moon" phrase as well as reference to the meat and drink offerings that would take place (compare to Leviticus 23:37). There are two sets of laws in play here, two types of sabbaths; one was described as being grievous to us (Col.2:14-16), and the 10 Commandments which were not grievous to us (1 John 5:3).

How can the same law be grievous and not grievous at the same time? It cannot; clearly there are two sets of laws. Additionally, there isn't a single "ordinance" in the 10 Commandments. See definition of "ordinance" in any dictionary - it discusses festival regulations and the like.

Lets look at Deuteronomy 31:26.
"Take this book of the law (Moses' Law), and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee"

By comparison Moses' Law was written in a book on paper; God's Law was written with His finger on stone.. Also, the Commandments were put "inside" the ark (Exodus 40:20) not "in the side" (Deut 31:26) of it.

Now look at Leviticus 23:37-39 "These are the feasts of the LORD, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, to offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD, a burnt offering, and a meat offering, a sacrifice, and drink offerings, every thing upon his day: 38 Beside(in addition to) the sabbaths of the LORD, and beside your gifts, and beside all your vows, and beside all your freewill offerings, which ye give unto the LORD."

Notice the verse in Leviticus 23:37; the word "beside" means in addition to, these feasts were the sabbaths that were in addition to the weekly seventh-day Sabbath. It is these sabbaths, not the weekly seventh-day Sabbath, that Col 2:14 is talking about, this is verified when one looks at the descriptors of "meat" and "drink" which are in reference to the offerings that would take place under Mosaic Ceremonial Law. So, again we see that the seventh-day Sabbath was different than these ceremonial sabbaths and it was the ceremonial sabbaths that were done away with according to Col. 2-14.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now there are those who claim that Jesus did away with the "Sabbath and all the other ceremonial laws”, or it doesn't apply anymore.

But if you look, when Jesus the Son of God came, He kept the seventh day all His life. Luke 4:16 "And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up for to read.¨ Thus Jesus followed His Father's example at creation. Shall we not be safe in following the example of both the Father and the Son?

The Ten Commandments were not part of Moses’ ceremonial law as Exodus 19, 20, and 31 clearly show. Also, there are many Bible references that show there was a distinguishment made between the Commandments and that of Moses’ book of the law.
Instead of abolishing the Sabbath, Jesus carefully taught how it should be observed. Matthew 12:1-13
Jesus is also known as the Lord of the Sabbath. Matthew 12:8. Why be Lord of something you were going to abolish?

Christ instructed His apostles that the Sabbath should be prayerfully regarded forty years after His resurrection. Matthew 24:20. When one reads all of Matt 24 they’ll see that Jesus was warning the disciples of the upcoming destruction of Jerusalem, which occurred about 40 years after His resurrection. Are we to believe that Christ didn’t know when this siege would take place?

Thirty years after Christ's resurrection, the Holy Spirit expressly calls it "the Sabbath day." Acts 13:14-16. Sounds like the Sabbath was still in effect even then, well after Christ's death.

The New Testament alone mentions the Sabbath day no less than 84 times - sounds like God is trying to tell us something. And never once is there a change of the Sabbath day to any other nor was it abolished.

Luke 23:56 - And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment. Jesus' own mother observed the Sabbath AFTER Jesus died. If He had changed or done away with the Sabbath day (having nailed it to the cross), wouldn't His own mother have known it?

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One which came around for a while was that it was "the Lords Day" ..or the first day. So lets look at this:

Exodus 20:8-11
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

It is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God, not Moses' sabbath, or the Jews sabbath, or anyone Else's sabbath.

Leviticus 23:3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

We see the same.

Deuteronomy 5:12-13
12 Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee. 13 Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work: 14 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.

Again the same.

Exodus 31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

It was not 'Moses' sabbath.

Leviticus 19:1-2
1And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 2 Speak unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, and say unto them, Ye shall be holy: for I the LORD your God am holy. 3 Ye shall fear every man his mother, and his father, and keep my sabbaths: I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:30 Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.

Leviticus 26:2 Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.

Isaiah 56:4-6
4 For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant; 5 Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off. 6 Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;

Ezekiel 20:12-13
12Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them. 13 But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and my sabbaths they greatly polluted: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them in the wilderness, to consume them.

Ezekiel 20:16 Because they despised my judgments, and walked not in my statutes, but polluted my sabbaths: for their heart went after their idols.

Ezekiel 20:19-24
19I am the LORD your God; walk in my statutes, and keep my judgments, and do them;
20 And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I am the LORD your God. 21 Notwithstanding the children rebelled against me: they walked not in my statutes, neither kept my judgments to do them, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; they polluted my sabbaths: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them, to accomplish my anger against them in the wilderness. 22 Nevertheless I withdrew mine hand, and wrought for my name's sake, that it should not be polluted in the sight of the heathen, in whose sight I brought them forth. 23 I lifted up mine hand unto them also in the wilderness, that I would scatter them among the heathen, and disperse them through the countries; 24 Because they had not executed my judgments, but had despised my statutes, and had polluted my sabbaths, and their eyes were after their fathers' idols.

Ezekiel 22:8 Thou hast despised mine holy things, and hast profaned my sabbaths.

Ezekiel 22:26 Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.

Ezekiel 23:38 Moreover this they have done unto me: they have defiled my sanctuary in the same day, and have profaned my sabbaths.

The Lord claims the sabbath as His very own. It is a day, therefore it is literally, the Lord's day. This clear so how many times must the Lord call the sabbath His day to understand that there is only one day in the scriptures that would be referred to as the Lord's day? Other than the seventh day sabbath, the Lord's day can also refer to the day on which He will return to this earth. That is all. Sunday, or the first day of the week is never referred to as the Lord's day in the scriptures.

This title was only applied to Sunday later on, to cover their deception. It was applied by those who began the apostasy which was the result of the bringing together of apostate Christianity and worship of another origin.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One which came around for a while was that it was "the Lords Day" ..or the first day. So lets look at this:

Exodus 20:8-11
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

It is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God, not Moses' sabbath, or the Jews sabbath, or anyone Else's sabbath.

Leviticus 23:3 Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

We see the same.

Deuteronomy 5:12-13
12 Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee. 13 Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work: 14 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.

Again the same.

Exodus 31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

It was not 'Moses' sabbath.

Leviticus 19:1-2
1And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 2 Speak unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, and say unto them, Ye shall be holy: for I the LORD your God am holy. 3 Ye shall fear every man his mother, and his father, and keep my sabbaths: I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:30 Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.

Leviticus 26:2 Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.

Isaiah 56:4-6
4 For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant; 5 Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off. 6 Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;

Ezekiel 20:12-13
12Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them. 13 But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and my sabbaths they greatly polluted: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them in the wilderness, to consume them.

Ezekiel 20:16 Because they despised my judgments, and walked not in my statutes, but polluted my sabbaths: for their heart went after their idols.

Ezekiel 20:19-24
19I am the LORD your God; walk in my statutes, and keep my judgments, and do them;
20 And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I am the LORD your God. 21 Notwithstanding the children rebelled against me: they walked not in my statutes, neither kept my judgments to do them, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; they polluted my sabbaths: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them, to accomplish my anger against them in the wilderness. 22 Nevertheless I withdrew mine hand, and wrought for my name's sake, that it should not be polluted in the sight of the heathen, in whose sight I brought them forth. 23 I lifted up mine hand unto them also in the wilderness, that I would scatter them among the heathen, and disperse them through the countries; 24 Because they had not executed my judgments, but had despised my statutes, and had polluted my sabbaths, and their eyes were after their fathers' idols.

Ezekiel 22:8 Thou hast despised mine holy things, and hast profaned my sabbaths.

Ezekiel 22:26 Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.

Ezekiel 23:38 Moreover this they have done unto me: they have defiled my sanctuary in the same day, and have profaned my sabbaths.

The Lord claims the sabbath as His very own. It is a day, therefore it is literally, the Lord's day. This clear so how many times must the Lord call the sabbath His day to understand that there is only one day in the scriptures that would be referred to as the Lord's day? Other than the seventh day sabbath, the Lord's day can also refer to the day on which He will return to this earth. That is all. Sunday, or the first day of the week is never referred to as the Lord's day in the scriptures.

This title was only applied to Sunday later on, to cover their deception. It was applied by those who began the apostasy which was the result of the bringing together of apostate Christianity and worship of another origin.
From what I have been told the OT Jewish Calendar and the calendar we use today is not in sync with each other....also there are many people who keep everyday as Holy unto the Lord....and the "rest" isn't that what we enter when we are saved? We enter into His Rest....and finally do you really think God will deny us passage into heaven because we gathered in an assembly to worship Him on Sunday, or Monday or whatever day? Isn't it the heart of man that will be judged?
I have strong issues with church doctrines that teach people are in danger of being judged because of a day with which the come together to Worship His Holy Name.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Now many cite the following Colossians 2:14-16:
Col 2:14-16 "Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath days:"

This verse is referring to the Mosaic Law (ceremonial law) and this is evident by the inclusion of the "new moon" phrase as well as reference to the meat and drink offerings that would take place (compare to Leviticus 23:37). There are two sets of laws in play here, two types of sabbaths; one was described as being grievous to us (Col.2:14-16), and the 10 Commandments which were not grievous to us (1 John 5:3).

There's a problem with this analysis. First off, it is not by the inclusion of "new moon", but "the handwriting of ordinances that was against us,". As you have already noted with Deuteronomy 31:26 which refers to the penalty of the law, not the feast days which are a celebration. You are assuming that by doing away with those ordinances that were against us, the feast days are done away as well. This doesn't follow, and if it did, then not only would the weekly Sabbath be done away, but every day of the week because there was also the daily sacrifice. Isaiah points out that when Christ returns, everyone will celebrate the new moons and Sabbaths. Zechariah also points out that the gentiles will also go up to Jerusalem for the Feast of Tabernacles.

Notice also that he says in "respect" or "regards" to these holy days. It doesn't say "disregard" or "disrespect" of these holy days. Note also that they are holy. Note also Paul's use of this word "man" in all of the instances leading up to this passage. In every case it is those outside the church which at that time was a Jewish phenomenon. We know that the Jews wouldn't have had any problem with this new sect of Judaism keeping any of the laws or feast days. Paul is referring to those who have converted to Christianity, and are being judged by their pagan or gentile neighbors for keeping these new feast days.

How can the same law be grievous and not grievous at the same time? It cannot; clearly there are two sets of laws.

No. There are God's laws, and then there are the ordinances that are "against us" Why? Because they are a set of laws explicitly for dealing with transgressions of God's law. e.g. Those "laws that were added because of transgressions", "the penalty", or "curse" of the law.

Additionally, there isn't a single "ordinance" in the 10 Commandments. See definition of "ordinance" in any dictionary - it discusses festival regulations and the like.

Again, festivals of God are to be celebrated. They are no more ordinances than the weekly Sabbath. Paul also states, "Christ is our Passover, therefore let us keep the feast". He can't be referring to the feast of Passover because Passover was not a feast to begin with. He is referring to the Feast of Unleavened Bread.

So it isn't the Feast days themselves that are done away with, but the sacrificial offerings that were carried out. You don't get to do away with the Feast days because of the offerings any more than you would do away with the weekly Sabbath just because there was an offering made on the weekly Sabbath.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
From what I have been told the OT Jewish Calendar and the calendar we use today is not in sync with each other....

You're misinformed. Jews are meticulous in keeping track of what day it is. This isn't just for the weekly Sabbath, but their entire Calendar. It's a lunar/solar calendar. Even when Christians keep Easter is based upon how Jews calibrate their Passover which is 14 days after the first new moon after the vernal equinox.

also there are many people who keep everyday as Holy unto the Lord....and the "rest" isn't that what we enter when we are saved?

No. we enter into a perfect obedience through faith, and that perfect faith is the faith of Christ who kept the law perfectly. Christ also says he and his father are working and continue to work. None of this negates any of God's commandments. That is simply a Non Sequitur.

and finally do you really think God will deny us passage into heaven because we gathered in an assembly to worship Him on Sunday, or Monday or whatever day? Isn't it the heart of man that will be judged?

Yes, and the heart of man is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked. Fallen man can't keep God's commandments, and wouldn't if he could Paul explicitly points this out in Romans. The carnal man can't be subject to God's law. Therefore he must profane and trample over what God has sanctified and made holy. Only God can make a day holy. Only God can make anyone holy.

I have strong issues with church doctrines that teach people are in danger of being judged because of a day with which the come together to Worship His Holy Name.

Paul suggests reading the Hebrew scriptures because they provide examples we can learn by so we don't make the same mistakes Israel made. A prime example would be the ten northern tribes who decided that they didn't have to worship in Jerusalem anymore. They would make their own places to worship God. God then allowed them to be taken captive and dispersed. As soon as the Judah pulled a similar stunt, they too were taken captive, but they were eventually allowed to return and rebuild the temple because they wanted to do things God's way instead of their own.

if it doesn't matter which day one observes, then why not just stick with the one God ordained, not to mention the same day Christ himself observed?

For some reason, most Christians never stop to think that the devil doesn't want Jews to come to Christ, and what better way to keep them from coming to Christ than to prevent them from hearing the gospel? How can a Jew profane the Sabbath when they've taken a vow to keep all of God's law? Asking someone to break a vow is a serious matter. Paul points out that if a brother is weak, we should be the one's to take the high road, and make the sacrifice. But then what great sacrifice is it to simply observe the Sabbath rather than the first day of the week, especially when it really doesn't matter to the Christian in the first place? Christians haven't made any vows to keep one day over another. So there is no other reason other than petty stubbornness.

The Acts of the Apostles shows the church kept the Sabbath as well as the feast days. There is nothing anywhere in scripture to suggest that anything was changed.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So where do people claim the Scripture says the Sabbath was changed? Well In the New Testament the first day of the week is mentioned eight times. In none of the eight instances is the first day said to be a day of worship, never is it said to be the Christian substitute for the Old Testament Sabbath, and never do the texts suggest that the first day of the week should be regarded as a memorial of Christ's resurrection. Let us briefly look at the New Testament passages that mention the first day of the week.

Matthew 28:1, "After the sabbath, as the first day of the week was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb. And suddenly there was a great earthquake...." Jesus was crucified on Friday. He rested in the tomb over the Sabbath and rose early on Sunday morning. The verse indicates that the women disciples returned to the tomb at the very first opportunity after the death and burial of Jesus. Because the Sabbath came so soon after His burial, they could not approach the tomb again until after sundown on Sabbath evening.(The Sabbath began at sundown on the sixth day and ended at sundown on the seventh day; compare Lev. 23:32; Neh. 13:19; Mark 1:21, 32) Early Sunday morning was the most convenient time for them to visit the tomb.

Mark 16:1, 2, "When the sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices, so that they might go and anoint him. And very early on the first day of the week, when the sun had risen, they went to the tomb."Mark records the same events as Matthew with the additional information that the women visited the tomb early on the Sunday morning for the express purpose of anointing Jesus' body with spices.

Mark 16:9, "Now after he rose early on the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, from whom he had cast out seven demons."This verse simply records that, after His resurrection early on the Sunday morning, Jesus appeared to Mary Magdalene.

Luke 23:54 * 24:1, "It [the day of Jesus' death and burial] was the day of Preparation, and the sabbath was beginning. The women who had come with him from Galilee followed, and they saw the tomb and how his body was laid. Then they returned, and prepared spices and ointments. On the sabbath they rested according to the commandment. But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they came to the tomb, taking the spices that they had prepared." The Sabbath came a few hours after Jesus' death on the cross. The women disciples "rested the sabbath day according to the commandment" (Luke 23:56). Then very early in the morning of the first day they visited the tomb to anoint the body of Jesus. The fact that they observed the Sabbath rest is sufficient indication that Jesus had never attempted to change the day or to suggest that after His death the first day would replace the Sabbath. Writing years after the event, Luke gave not the slightest hint that, even though the women disciples of Jesus observed the Sabbath, such a practice was no longer expected of Christians. He simply recorded that the Sabbath day "according to the commandment," which Jesus' followers were careful to observe, was the day after the crucifixion day (Friday), and before the resurrection day (Sunday).

John 20:1, "Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the tomb."Mary Magdalene visited the tomb early the first day of the week. Nothing is said of Sunday as a day of worship or rest.

John 20:19, "When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said,'Peace be with you.'" On the evening of the first day of the week the disciples were assembled behind locked doors "for fear of the Jews." Jesus appeared to them at that time. The passage does not say that henceforth Sunday was to be the day for worship. Since it was the evening of the first day of the week that Jesus appeared to the disciples, it was after sundown. According to Jewish reckoning this was actually the beginning of the second day (Monday; compare Gen. 1:5, 8). A week later when Thomas happened to be present, Jesus met with the disciples again (verse 26). But, writing years later, John records nothing regarding Sunday as a day of Christian worship. John's narrative gives no warrant for regarding Sunday as a substitute for the Sabbath or as a day to be distinguished by Christians above any other day of the week. And there is no indication in the passage that Sunday should from then on be observed as a memorial of Christ's resurrection.

Acts 20:7: "Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight."

Here, at last, we find a religious meeting on the first day of the week, but it was not a "Sunday meeting," that is, a church service. Notice, Paul continued his speech until midnight, and verse 8 says, "There were many lamps in the upper room where they were gathered together." It indeed occurred after sunset, before midnight, thus on the first day of the week. This meeting and Paul's preaching, at most, it was what we would call a Bible study today, took place during the hours we now call Saturday night.

However, it is clear from subsequent verses that Paul and his companions treated this first day of the week, beginning at sundown, as a normal workday. Paul's companions sailed around a peninsula from Troas to Assos (verse 13), a distance of fifty or sixty miles, while Paul, afoot, walked overland more than 19 miles (verses 11, 14). His companions were engaged in the labor of rowing and sailing a boat while Paul was preaching that Saturday night. Then, at the break of day Sunday morning, he set out to walk from Troas to Assos, a good hard day's work. He would not do this except on a common workday.

I Corinthians 16:2: "On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper that there be no collections when I come." Often we see this text printed on the little offering envelopes in the pews of churches, and many preach that this text sets Sunday as the time for taking up the church collection for doing God's work and paying the minister and church expenses.

This verse says nothing of the sort, look at the context. Verse 1 tells us what kind of collection is being made: "Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given orders to the churches of Galatia, so you must do also." First, it is a collection, not for the preacher, evangelism, or church expenses, but "for the saints." The members of the church in Jerusalem were suffering from drought and famine. They needed, not money, but food...excerpts from a book by Kenneth A. Strand, The Sabbath in Scripture and History.https://digitalcommons.andrews.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1592&context=auss

Many try to shoehorn in what they have been told or given as tradition, not what the Bible teaches...

Last edited:

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Luke 23:56 - And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment. Jesus' own mother observed the Sabbath AFTER Jesus died. If He had changed or done away with the Sabbath day (having nailed it to the cross), wouldn't His own mother have known it?

Here again, you're not paying attention to what's going on. The other gospel writer points out that they bought spices before the Sabbath. They couldn't have bought spices before the Sabbath because they didn't know he was going to be crucified, and the text clearly points out that they were there for this gruesome ordeal. They observed the First day of Unleavened Bread (i.e. Thursday), THEN went out and bought spices and prepared them(i.e. on Friday). Then they observed the weekly Sabbath before returning to the tomb on the first day of the week. A closer examination of each gospel narrative will reveal this fact. There's even a reference to the fact that that there were two Sabbaths (the high sabbath and the weekly sabbath) Here again, by your own logic, we should be keeping the Feast of Unleavened Bread.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Y A W N... :rolleyes:

oh no...not ANOTHER thread on this...there have been so many...and some still going ...Nothing new, same ol' same ol' arguments ...o_O

Well, its because what God says especially if written with His own finger in His Ten Commandments are important. Here are some statements which show who many are following and its not the Bible:

"Protestants ... accept Sunday rather than Saturday as the day for public worship after the Catholic Church made the change... But the Protestant mind does not seem to realize that ... in observing Sunday, they are accepting the authority of the spokesman for the Church, the pope." Our Sunday Visitor, February 5th, 1950. This Rock

Question: Which is the Sabbath day?
Answer: Saturday is the Sabbath day.

Question: Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?
Answer: We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday. -Rev. Peter Geiermann C.SS.R., The Convert's Catechism of Catholic Doctrine, p. 50

Q. Should not the Protestant doubt when he finds that he himself holds tradition as a guide?
A. Yes, if he would but reflect that he has nothing but Catholic Tradition for keeping the Sunday holy; ... Controversial Catechism by Stephen Keenan, New Edition, revised by Rev. George Cormack, published in London by Burns & Oates, Limited - New York, Cincinnati, Chicago: Benzinger Brothers, 1896, pages 6, 7.

"The Church, on the other hand, after changing the day of rest from the Jewish Sabbath, or seventh day of the week, to the first, made the Third Commandment refer to Sunday as the day to be kept holy as the Lord's Day. The Council of Trent (Sess. VI, can. xix) condemns those who deny that the Ten Commandments are binding on Christians." The Catholic Encyclopedia, Commandments of God, Volume IV, © 1908 by Robert Appleton Company, Online Edition © 1999 by Kevin Knight, Nihil Obstat - Remy Lafort, Censor Imprimatur - +John M. Farley, Archbishop of New York, page 153.

''The [Roman Catholic] Church changed the observance of the Sabbath to Sunday by right of the divine, infallible authority given to her by her founder, Jesus Christ. The Protestant claiming the Bible to be the only guide of faith, has no warrant for observing Sunday. In this matter the Seventh-day Adventist is the only consistent Protestant.'' The Catholic Universe Bulletin, August 14, 1942, p. 4.

"All of us believe many things in regard to religion that we do not find in the Bible. For example, nowhere in the Bible do we find that Christ or the Apostles ordered that the Sabbath be changed from Saturday to Sunday. We have the commandment of God given to Moses to keep holy the Sabbath Day, that is the 7th day of the week, Saturday. Today most Christians keep Sunday because it has been revealed to us by the Church outside the Bible." The Catholic Virginian, "To Tell You The Truth,” Vol. 22, No. 49 (Oct. 3, 1947).

"... you may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctify." The Faith of Our Fathers, by James Cardinal Gibbons, Archbishop of Baltimore, 88th edition, page 89. Originally published in 1876, republished and Copyright 1980 by TAN Books and Publishers, Inc., pages 72-73.

'Deny the authority of the Church and you have no adequate or reasonable explanation or justification for the substitution of Sunday for Saturday in the Third - Protestant Fourth - Commandment of God... The Church is above the Bible, and this transference of Sabbath observance is proof of that fact.'' Catholic Record, September 1, 1923.

"But since Saturday, not Sunday, is specified in the Bible, isn't it curious that non-Catholics who profess to take their religion directly from the Bible and not the Church, observe Sunday instead of Saturday? Yes, of course, it is inconsistent; but this change was made about fifteen centuries before Protestantism was born, and by that time the custom was universally observed. They have continued the custom, even though it rests upon the authority of the Catholic Church and not upon an explicit text in the Bible. That observance remains as a reminder of the Mother Church from which the non-Catholic sects broke away - like a boy running away from home but still carrying in his pocket a picture of his mother or a lock of her hair." The Faith of Millions

"Perhaps the boldest thing, the most revolutionary change the Church ever did, happened in the first century. The holy day, the Sabbath, was changed from Saturday to Sunday. "The Day of the Lord" (dies Dominica) was chosen, not from any directions noted in the Scriptures, but from the Church's sense of its own power. The day of resurrection, the day of Pentecost, fifty days later, came on the first day of the week. So this would be the new Sabbath. People who think that the Scriptures should be the sole authority, should logically become 7th Day Adventists, and keep Saturday holy." Sentinel, Pastor's page, Saint Catherine Catholic Church, Algonac, Michigan, May 21, 1995

'If Protestants would follow the Bible, they would worship God on the Sabbath Day. In keeping the Sunday they are following a law of the Catholic Church.' Albert Smith, Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Baltimore, replying for the Cardinal, in a letter dated February 10, 1920.

'It is well to remind the Presbyterians, Baptists, Methodists, and all other Christians, that the Bible does not support them anywhere in their observance of Sunday. Sunday is an institution of the Roman Catholic Church, and those who observe the day observe a commandment of the Catholic Church.'Priest Brady, in an address, reported in the Elizabeth, NJ on March 18, 1903. This Rock

'Of course these .. quotations are exactly correct. The Catholic Church designated Sunday as the day for corporate worship and gets full credit 'or blame '.. This Rock,The Magazine of Catholic Apologetics and Evangelization, p.8, June 1997

'The observance of Sunday by the Protestants is homage they pay, in spite of themselves, to the authority of the [Catholic] Church.' Monsignor Louis Segur, 'Plain Talk about the Protestantism of Today';, p. 213.

Last edited:

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here again, you're not paying attention to what's going on. The other gospel writer points out that they bought spices before the Sabbath. They couldn't have bought spices before the Sabbath because they didn't know he was going to be crucified, and the text clearly points out that they were there for this gruesome ordeal. They observed the First day of Unleavened Bread (i.e. Thursday), THEN went out and bought spices and prepared them(i.e. on Friday). Then they observed the weekly Sabbath before returning to the tomb on the first day of the week. A closer examination of each gospel narrative will reveal this fact. There's even a reference to the fact that that there were two Sabbaths (the high sabbath and the weekly sabbath) Here again, by your own logic, we should be keeping the Feast of Unleavened Bread.
Notice it says..."prepared spices".. and we know they had spices and ointments and various other things to use. Notice what happens even before...

John 12:1-7
1 Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was, which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead.
2 There they made him a supper; and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that sat at the table with him.
3 Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.
4 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,
5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.
7 Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Notice it says..."prepared spices"
I see that. What's your point? They had to go out and get spices to prepare. The other account even points that out. One points out that it was before, and the other points out that it was after. They can't be referring to the same Sabbath. John also points out that it was "a high sabbath". This is a direct reference to the first day of Unleavened Bread which was a "high day", or a "high Sabbath". The term in Judaism is "yom tov" and is still used to this very day.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see that. What's your point? They had to go out and get spices to prepare. The other account even points that out. One points out that it was before, and the other points out that it was after. They can't be referring to the same Sabbath. John also points out that it was "a high sabbath". This is a direct reference to the first day of Unleavened Bread which was a "high day", or a "high Sabbath". The term in Judaism is "yom tov" and is still used to this very day.
Read what Christ told the disciples and not just once...

Matthew 20:18
Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn him to death,

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From what I have been told the OT Jewish Calendar and the calendar we use today is not in sync with each other....also there are many people who keep everyday as Holy unto the Lord....and the "rest" isn't that what we enter when we are saved? We enter into His Rest....and finally do you really think God will deny us passage into heaven because we gathered in an assembly to worship Him on Sunday, or Monday or whatever day? Isn't it the heart of man that will be judged?
The weekly cycle of seven days was from Creation, and as for worship, this was one of the first things that man came across...

Genesis 4:1-8
1 And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the Lord.
2 And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.
3 And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the Lord.
4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the Lord had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
5 But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
6 And the Lord said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.
8 And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.

The only way we can truly come to God and worship Him by faith is if we do it according to what His word reveals.

Last edited:

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Early Christians continued to pray and rest on the seventh day, and observe the Sabbath. But apostasy began to creep in the church, especially at Rome and by the 2nd century AD you start to find were some began to hold both, and soon a number of Christians affected by the spreading apostasy were observing only Sunday and not the Sabbath.

Take a look...https://www.christianitytoday.com/hi...turday-to.html
Notice they don't know why but just throw out "because the Resurrection and the beginning of Creation had both occurred on the first day of the week" But at Creation it was the seventh day that was made sanctified and made holy and clearly Christ rested on the Sabbath and then came up on Sunday.

This was the first idea that was spread around to find a way to set aside or disregard the Sabbath, and set another day. So did Christ rise and tell the Disciples something that was not in scripture or was it written down and somehow got lost, God doesnt work that way. Now people began to say 'I keep Sunday in honor of the Resurrection' or that they were told that the Apostles began keeping Sunday as the day of worship after the resurrection for a variety of reasons, but did they. No, the early church clearly kept the Sabbath.

So is there any chance the resurrection somehow cause a change to the day of worship? Well, worship is the reason for the Sabbath and it is the only day God ever gave us to worship Him on. That which God gives us is the truth and we are to believe it and obey it, especially when its straight from His Word. It tells us, "Sanctify them through Thy truth: Thy Word is truth."John 17:17 and we read, "Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit."1 Peter 1:22.

It is not safe to refuse obedience to the obvious truths of God’s Word. "He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination." Proverbs 28:9.

So what does the clear Word of God tell us when men come up with changes to what God has given us, or bring in tradition which go against Gods Law. "We ought to obey God rather than men." Acts 5:29.

So does the resurrection change the day of the Sabbath, well the problem is that God never told anyone to keep Sunday in honor of the resurrection of Christ, or for any other reason. Lets go over them and see...

You can make scripture say anything if you are desperate enough. You need to go outside scripture and look at history. If you do you will find that it was man that changed the day from Saturday to Sunday to accommodate idolatrous practices. Nothing more and nothing less.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Read what Christ told the disciples and not just once...

Matthew 20:18
Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn him to death,

Are you ever going to make a point? I can post arbitrary passages from scripture all day long as well. What's your point? No one is denying he was condemned to death. No one is denying when he was placed into the tomb which was just before sunset on the day of preparation before the Sabbath.

Here, let me help you out. We should be able to save some time by simply looking at the fact that there are two Sabbaths; the first being the high Sabbath of the Feast of Unleavened Bread with the second being the weekly Sabbath.

The plural form of Sabbaths occurs in John 20:1 as well as Acts 20:7. In both cases it is in the plural form because of it's placement within a feast, or the Sabbaths of those feast days. In 1 Corinthians 16:2 we see the singular form of the word which would be the ordinary form.

In Luke 6:1 we read, "And it came to pass on the second Sabbath after the first, that he went through the corn fields etc." This phrase, "The second Sabbath after the first" represents only one word in the Greek (deuteroprotos), i.e. the second-first. The first and second Sabbaths can occur only in the week of the three great Feasts. The first day of these feasts is a Sabbath "high day" (Heb. "yom tov") and the "first" or great Sabbath, whatever day of the week it falls on (see Lev. 23:7,24,25). The weekly Sabbath then becomes the "second". The "second Sabbath" was therefore the ordinary weekly Sabbath as is clear from Matthew 12:1

Skeptics have claimed that there is a contradiction between Mark's and Luke's account. Mark 16:1 states that the women bought spices "after the Sabbath", and Luke 23:56 states that they then rested "on the Sabbath after they bought spices". John States that the bodies should not remain on the crosses because "that Sabbath was a high day" John 19:1. This "high day" refers to the first day of Unleavened Bread regardless of which day it falls on during the week.

Matthew 28:1; Mark 16:2; and John 20:1,19 each use a plural form of the word Sabbath. In Mark's account it is preceded by a singular form of the word which suggests that the first form of the word indicates what transpired after that Sabbath while the plural form indicates what happened after both Sabbaths.

"And when the Sabbath (singular) was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him. And very early in the morning the first day of the week ( Gr. sabaton-genitive, neuter Plural), they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun". The translator is wrong in using "week" instead of Sabbaths.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Notice it says..."prepared spices".. and we know they had spices and ointments and various other things to use. Notice what happens even before...

John 12:1-7
1 Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was, which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead.
2 There they made him a supper; and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that sat at the table with him.
3 Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.
4 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,
5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.
7 Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this.

You're still not making a point here. The issue isn't the fact that he was buried or that spices were used to bury him. The issue is when the women went to purchase spices. There are three accounts which point out that it was after they placed him into the tomb which was at sunset. They couldn't have bought spices beforehand, and we have one gospel writer pointing out that fact(Mark 16:1).