Does the manifestation of the Spirit profit all?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

Acts 2:16-17 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; [17] And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

Joel 2:28-29 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: [29] And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

Struggling here with does the manifestation of the Spirit profit all? For instance in the passage of what never fails but what does fail, what does cease, what does vanish away, what is done away with...1 Corinthians 13:8-10 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. [9] For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. [10] But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Can it be said that what ceases, vanishes, and fails in not within the body. Yet the word says manifestation of the Spirit is given to profit all when that which is perfect has come that in part is done away. And Paul’s words even to those he asked to examine whether they be in faith 1 Corinthians 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

the Manifestation of the Spirit of God...to profit all or a select few?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 Corinthians 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

Acts 2:16-17 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; [17] And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

Joel 2:28-29 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: [29] And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

Struggling here with does the manifestation of the Spirit profit all? For instance in the passage of what never fails but what does fail, what does cease, what does vanish away, what is done away with...1 Corinthians 13:8-10 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. [9] For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. [10] But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Can it be said that what ceases, vanishes, and fails in not within the body. Yet the word says manifestation of the Spirit is given to profit all when that which is perfect has come that in part is done away. And Paul’s words even to those he asked to examine whether they be in faith 1 Corinthians 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

God always does things to benefit us...although we may not receive it that way. So it depends on how we receive it. And He doesn't give us things that are too far or too difficult for us to bear. So sometimes we have to grow a lot before we can expect to get the deeper spiritual things of God.

The manifestation of the Spirit is one of those things that one has to be ready for. It will profit those who have been prepared or prepared themselves for it. Although God always gives His gifts with the best motive possible.

The problem is how we receive it...if indeed we are able to at all.

As Jesus said...there are many things I would tell you...but you are not ready to receive them. Too bad! :)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The context makes it clear that the manifestation of the Spirit is related to the spiritual gifts discussed in 1 Corinthians 12-14. Every believer has at least one spiritual gift, and every gift is for the benefit of others within the local church. So within a true Bible church, every believer must exercise his or her gift for the rest of the Body. And every member is of value according to Scripture.

Reactions: marks

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The context makes it clear that the manifestation of the Spirit is related to the spiritual gifts discussed in 1 Corinthians 12-14. Every believer has at least one spiritual gift, and every gift is for the benefit of others within the local church. So within a true Bible church, every believer must exercise his or her gift for the rest of the Body. And every member is of value according to Scripture.

What of Psalm 68:18-19 ?

Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive: thou hast received gifts for men; yea, for the rebellious also, that the Lord God might dwell among them. [19] Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation. Selah.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What of Psalm 68:18-19 ?
Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive: thou hast received gifts for men; yea, for the rebellious also, that the Lord God might dwell among them. [19] Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation. Selah.
This corresponds to Ephesians 4:7-13, where Psalm 68:18 is quoted:

7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

In this passage the spiritual gifts are attributed to Christ. But in 1 Corinthians they are attributed to the Holy Spirit. How do we reconcile this? Well, unless and until Christ had FIRST ascended to Heaven after His resurrection, the Holy Spirit could not have been sent down to earth. And it is Jesus who baptizes with the Spirit, therefore it is He who gives us the GIFT of the Holy Spirit, who then gives spiritual gifts to the saints (who were formerly rebellious sinners).

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm going to say something here that may offend some, but the Holy Spirit is for all ... men, (including save and unsaved). some manifest their gifts before they come to christ, some after. those gifts listed in 1 Cor 12 are not the only Gifts, or in the world they call it a "talent".

and believe me there are many in the world who have a "Gift"/talent of God who is not in church right now.

but speaking of both worlds, I knew an elder mother who could take 9 chicken eggs and feed 15 people, (all equally fed). her GIFT/Talent was in cooking. and everyone always went to her when thay needed something cook for an occasions.

not all gifts are church releated but "PEOPLE" releated. but the source of all Gifts is of God.

PICJAG

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
not all gifts are church releated but "PEOPLE" releated. but the source of all Gifts is of God.

Well said! All of it actually but especially that last part. Not sure why it offends in “but the source of all Gifts is of God.”

Yet there is a difference in profitable. 1 Corinthians 13:2-3 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. [3] And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Which leads back to 1 Corinthians 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

Reactions: amadeus

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm going to say something here that may offend some, but the Holy Spirit is for all ... men, (including saved and unsaved).
Not only does this offend, but it contradicts the Word of God. Keep up the *good* work!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not only does this offend, but it contradicts the Word of God. Keep up the *good* work!
First thanks for the reply, GOOD, glad it offend YOU. "but it contradicts the Word of God", scripture to that effect, and I'll produce scripture to reprove you..... :rolleyes:

PICJAG.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well said! All of it actually but especially that last part. Not sure why it offends in “but the source of all Gifts is of God.”

Yet there is a difference in profitable. 1 Corinthians 13:2-3 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. [3] And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Which leads back to 1 Corinthians 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
First thanks for the reply, second, it's only Ignorant men who get offended... (smile). but example, of what I said,
Exod 28:3 And thou shalt speak unto all that are wise hearted, whom I have filled with the spirit of wisdom, that they may make Aaron's garments to consecrate him, that he may minister unto me in the priest's office".
Exod 28:4 And these are the garments which they shall make; a breastplate, and an ephod, and a robe, and a broidered coat, a mitre, and a girdle: and they shall make holy garments for Aaron thy brother, and his sons, that he may minister unto me in the priest's office".

here you have "seamstress", to whom God filled with his Holy Spirit to make garments.

so God's Spirit, he himself is the "Gift" what give men the ability to perform the work.

this is what many christian don't understand. a Gift/talent is of God. here see it is a "seamstress" who is gifted. watched this,
Exod 35:30 And Moses said unto the children of Israel, See, the LORD hath called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah;
Exod 35:31 And he hath filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship; (HOW MUCH OF WORKMANSHIP? ... ALL MANNER).
Exod 35:32 And to devise curious works, to work in gold, and in silver, and in brass,
Exod 35:33 And in the cutting of stones, to set them, and in carving of wood, to make any manner of cunning work.
Exod 35:34 And he hath put in his heart that he may teach, both he, and Aholiab, the son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan.
Exod 35:35 Them hath he filled with wisdom of heart, to work all manner of work, of the engraver, and of the cunning workman, and of the embroiderer, in blue, and in purple, in scarlet, and in fine linen, and of the weaver, even of them that do any work, and of those that devise cunning work.

Hoped that helped.

PICJAG.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think everyone has been given at least a little so he can profit from it if he wishes. If he is faithful in a little and profits from the small manifestation of the Spirit he received, God may reward him with more. It's also said that Jesus lights everyone who comes into the world. Some benefit, some do not.

And remember too, to whom much is given, much is required. Those who are faithful in the smaller manifestations of the Spirit may fare better on Judgment Day than those who received much but wound up being ungrateful and unfaithful, perhaps carried away by pride.

How tough it was, Jesus told his inner circle, to find the strait and narrow way. Few would find it. Following that sermon, he came down, met a Roman centurion and commended him on his faith and said many would sit down with Abraham in the kingdom. I'd say that centurion hadn't been given a lot, but he used well what he had been given.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because the gift of the Holy Spirit is given only to those who obey the Gospel. It offends God and Christ when they are blatantly contradicted.
Could you rephrase that maybe? Surely you can't be saying no one in the Old Testament had the Holy Spirit. . . .

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think everyone has been given at least a little so he can profit from it if he wishes. If he is faithful in a little and profits from the small manifestation of the Spirit he received, God may reward him with more. It's also said that Jesus lights everyone who comes into the world. Some benefit, some do not.
Greeting Giuliano, Jas 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning".

PICJAG.

Reactions: Giuliano

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Could you rephrase that maybe? Surely you can't be saying no one in the Old Testament had the Holy Spirit. . . .
No. That is not what I am saying. Those who put their faith in God and did His will received the Holy Spirit. Those who did not believe God did not receive the Spirit. They were unsaved.

For many of the prophets and judges, it was permanent. But there were times when God gave the Spirit and then took Him away.

For anyone to claim today that God gives the Holy Spirit to the unsaved is to make God a liar. Here are the Scriptures that demand repentance and faith in Christ before the gift of the Spirit is given.

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 2:38)

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise...(Eph 1:13)

On the other hand, Simon the Sorcerer wanted to buy the gift of the Holy Spirit for his own nefarious reasons. Peter rebuked him soundly and commanded him to repent (which he did not do):

ACTS 8: THE HOLY SPIRIT NOT GIVEN TO THE WICKED

18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
19 Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.
20 But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.
21 Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.
22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
23 For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.

Reactions: friend of

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exod 31:3 And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship,

Workmanship: H4399 מְלָאכָה mla'kah (mel-aw-kaw') n-f.
1. (properly) deputyship (i.e. ministry).
2. (generally) occupation, employment (never servile).
3. (abstractly or concretely) work.
4. (as the result of labor) property.
[from the same as H4397]
KJV: business, + cattle, + industrious, occupation, (+ -pied), + officer, thing (made), use, (manner of) work((-man), -manship).
Root(s): H4397

Industrious: diligent and hard-working.

the gifts here are for the N e w e l y formed/started church. God been and has given his spirit to men.

lets go bak to genesis.
remember "Workmanship?",
Gen 4:21 And his brother's name was Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ.
Gen 4:22 And Zillah, she also bare Tubalcain, an instructer of every artificer in brass and iron: and the sister of Tubalcain was Naamah.

God's gifts to men is nothing new, in Joel, and the fullfilment in acts is for the newly formed church to "EMPOWER" it. my God how people is so ignorant of the things of God. just as with his sunlight, it shine on the Just (saved), as well as the unjust, (the unsaved).

PICJAG.

Last edited:

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. That is not what I am saying. Those who put their faith in God and did His will received the Holy Spirit. Those who did not believe God did not receive the Spirit. They were unsaved.

For many of the prophets and judges, it was permanent. But there were times when God gave the Spirit and then took Him away.

For anyone to claim today that God gives the Holy Spirit to the unsaved is to make God a liar. Here are the Scriptures that demand repentance and faith in Christ before the gift of the Spirit is given.

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 2:38)

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise...(Eph 1:13)

On the other hand, Simon the Sorcerer wanted to buy the gift of the Holy Spirit for his own nefarious reasons. Peter rebuked him soundly and commanded him to repent (which he did not do):

ACTS 8: THE HOLY SPIRIT NOT GIVEN TO THE WICKED

18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
19 Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.
20 But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.
21 Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.
22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
23 For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.
What I see is that Simon Magus repented and was baptized (verse 13), but then he went bad. Similarly we see Judas going bad after he had been able to cast out demons. Saul also had been highly favored by God but rebelled, and the Spirit deserted him. I wouldn't call any of the three "saved." They were on the path to salvation but went astray.

I see man as a vessel. If made empty it can be completely filled by the Holy Spirit. There are partial manifestations as well.

Who can come to Jesus on his own unless he be drawn? I see the seeds of immortality being sown in all men. All have been blessed in that way; but the seeds do not always survive. In large part, it's the cares of this world that act as weeds crowding out the growth of the seed given. The conscience informed them to "weed out" those things but they did not. They did not make more room for the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: mjrhealth

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greeting Giuliano, Jas 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning".

PICJAG.
Similarly, God is not willing that any should perish. I am sure then that God never sat idly by, doing nothing while men perished.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Similarly, God is not willing that any should perish. I am sure then that God never sat idly by, doing nothing while men perished.
correct, never did, he always sent prophets, or those under divine authority. even if one is wrong, God gives us warning, I'm reminded of the prophet balaam, a good example,. but note this, all men have heard of God, either by mother, father, sister, brother, uncle, or even friend .. ect. just take the worest sinner, let something happen or go wrong in their life, automatically the first thing out of their mouth, "Lord have mercy".

they know of God if they don't have a personal relationship with him.

PICJAG.

Reactions: Giuliano

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because the gift of the Holy Spirit is given only to those who obey the Gospel. It offends God and Christ when they are blatantly contradicted.

Not disputing the passages of those that receive Him and one must be born of the Spirit. Only suggest same as the double-edged sword so is the outpouring. What is “for thou shall heap coals of fire upon his head”? Proverbs 25:21-22 If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink: [22] For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the Lord shall reward thee.

In the Old Testament prosperity and wealth and substance comes from God. In the New Testament prosperity and wealth (poor yet making many rich)and a better more enduring substance comes from God. Do not talents also?

Concerning Simon: Acts 8:23-24 For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity. [24] Then answered Simon, and said, Pray ye to the Lord for me, that none of these things which ye have spoken come upon me.