Doubt

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
“Now faith is being sure of what we hope for” (Hebrews 11:1). But how sure does ‘sure’ have to be? 50% sure? 90%? Will only 100% certainty be sufficient? Jesus tells us that even faith as small as a mustard seed can move mountains. Actions are the evidence/proof of faith - but it isn't necessary to be 100% sure of something before committing yourself to a course of action. If that were the case, we'd never do anything.

Alister McGrath has written an excellent little book on the subject of doubt, in which he makes the point that doubt is an integral part of Christian faith. Certainty, perhaps surprisingly, is the opposite of faith. “We walk by faith, not by sight” (II Corinthians 5:7): God hasn’t revealed absolutely everything to us, but He has revealed enough for us to trust Him (Deuteronomy 29:29). It is that trust which enables us – not to resolve our doubts completely, but to learn to live with them.

Most Christians experience fluctuating degrees of assurance about their faith (if you are an exception, then I salute you). But it is the dependability of God's Word that assures us of our salvation, not the variable feeling of certainty that we experience. “Faith is basically the resolve to live our lives on the assumption that certain things are true and trustworthy, in the confident assurance that one day we will know with absolute certainty that this is indeed the case.” (A McGrath: Doubt)

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Deborah_ said:
“Now faith is being sure of what we hope for” (Hebrews 11:1). But how sure does ‘sure’ have to be? 50% sure? 90%? Will only 100% certainty be sufficient? Jesus tells us that even faith as small as a mustard seed can move mountains. Actions are the evidence/proof of faith - but it isn't necessary to be 100% sure of something before committing yourself to a course of action. If that were the case, we'd never do anything.

Alister McGrath has written an excellent little book on the subject of doubt, in which he makes the point that doubt is an integral part of Christian faith. Certainty, perhaps surprisingly, is the opposite of faith. “We walk by faith, not by sight” (II Corinthians 5:7): God hasn’t revealed absolutely everything to us, but He has revealed enough for us to trust Him (Deuteronomy 29:29). It is that trust which enables us – not to resolve our doubts completely, but to learn to live with them.

Most Christians experience fluctuating degrees of assurance about their faith (if you are an exception, then I salute you). But it is the dependability of God's Word that assures us of our salvation, not the variable feeling of certainty that we experience. “Faith is basically the resolve to live our lives on the assumption that certain things are true and trustworthy, in the confident assurance that one day we will know with absolute certainty that this is indeed the case.” (A McGrath: Doubt)
Deborah,

This is a great topic. Thanks for starting it. Throughout the times of growth in my Christian life there have been times of doubt. Some Christians were harsh on me when I asked doubting questions, but I was being honest.

Heb 11:1 (ESV) translates this verse as, 'Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen'. I think this gets close to my understanding of the meaning. You have given the Heb 11:1 (NET) translation, 'Now faith is being sure of what we hope for'. I'm not convinced this is the best emphasis, particularly with 'being sure'.

The word translated 'being sure' (NET) and 'the assurance' (ESV) is hupostasis which has been a common Greek word used from the time of Aristotle (ca. 384-322 BC) onward. It means 'what stands under anything (a building, a contract, a promise)'. This is the word used in Heb 3:14 (ESV) where it is translated as 'original confidence' (ESV). A T Robertson says that 'it is that steadiness of mind which holds one firm (2 Cor 9:4). It is common in the papyri in business documents as the basis or guarantee of transactions'. He cites Moulton and Milligan's Vocabulary of the Greek Testament which suggests the translation of 'faith is the title-deed of things hoped for' (Robertson 1932:418).

What does this title deed provide? 'The conviction of things not seen' (Heb 11:1 ESV). The KJV translates as 'the evidence of things not seen'. Either 'conviction' or 'evidence/proof' are translations in the papyri, but 'conviction' seems a better translation in context.

So, faith stands under our Christian assurance like a promise. It is the title-deed of what is hoped for and it provides a conviction of things not yet seen. I don't think that this kind of understanding prevents us from having doubts from time to time as this title-deed relates to 'things not yet seen'.

I'll speak for myself: I am in a world of sight and sound and wish there was more that I could 'see' of the Christian faith in my life and in the world. However, I have a foundation in faith as a title-deed that gives conviction to my Christian life.

I'd be interested in hearing from you of some of the doubts you sometimes experience in your Christian life.

I find Alister McGrath to be an excellent theologian who addresses some of the controversial but essential areas of life and ministry. I see that he has written 4 books on doubt:
  • Doubt: Handling It Honestly (IVP 1990);
  • The Sunnier Side of Doubt (Zondervan 1990);
  • Doubt in Perspective (IVP 2006);
  • Doubting: Growing Through the Uncertainties of Faith (IVP 2007).
I note your quote comes from his 2007 volume. I was pleased to discover your homepage, 'Discovering the Bible', from which you have shared this insight on CyB. I have in my library The Sunnier Side of Doubt. I should get out for another read.

Oz

Works consulted
Robertson, A T 1932. Word Pictures in the New Testament: The Fourth Gospel, The Epistle to the Hebrews, vol 5. Nashville, Tennessee: Broadman Press.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Oz

I've been a reasonably confident Christian for most of my Christian life (40 years plus) but went through a 'shaky' time a few years ago after being battered by some aggressive atheists on a secular forum.

I originally wrote this post a few years ago for another (now defunct) forum, and was quoting Hebrews 11:1 from the earlier NIV (evidently the NET is the same at that point!)

Christian assurance is a tricky thing to talk about, and I suspect it may mean slightly different things to different people. Some people do talk as if we were meant to be living in a state of absolute certainty all the time about "the things not seen", which can cause other believers to feel inadequate or even worry that they are not really saved at all.

Someone once told me a helpful story. Imagine two Israelite boys, both firstborn sons, living next-door to one another in Egypt on the first Passover night. Both families sacrifice a lamb and smear the blood on their doorposts. One lad trusts absolutely in the blood, goes straight to bed and sleeps soundly. The other is terrified he will die of the plague, and despite his father's assurances he cannot sleep a wink all night.

Which boy is alive and well the following morning?

Answer: Both.