• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Harold

Nov 11, 2022
Canada
jesus-saves-all.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was browsing Google Scholar and found a textbook documenting the historical medieval Christian church, so I looked through it and found a verse that relates to Christian Universalism.

That is, how Christ Jesus will save everyone, how all people will believe in Christ’s sacrifice through faith alone and be saved.

• Romans 10:17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ
  • 1 Corinthians 15:22 "In Christ shall all be made alive"

It’s interesting because I was originally going through academic research of a completely different topic, but since it appeared in my feed, I figured I would take a look at it.

https://api.taylorfrancis.com/conte...ierValue=10.4324/9780203626917&type=googlepdf

Citation: MLA Deanesly, Margaret. A history of the medieval church: 590-1500. Routledge, 2004.

Hail to thee, festival day! blest day that art hallowed for ever;

Day wherein God overcame hell and arose from the dead.

He who was nailed to the cross is God and the ruler of all

things:

All things created on earth worship the maker of all.

Rise now, O Lord, from the grave and cast off the shroud that

enwrapped Thee:

Thou art sufficient for us: nothing without Thee exists.

Jesus has harrowed hell: he has led captivity captive:

Darkness and chaos and death flee from the face of the light

- Saint Venantius Honorius Clementianus Fortunatus

This particular piece of poetry was translated from Latin, as St Fortunatus, was a hymnographer in the Merovingian Court and a French bishop of the Early Christian Church.

Thus, this shows that the Early Christian Church’s views were as such:

It correctly associates hell as Sheol (Hebrew), the realm of the dead, the grave, which would be known as Hades (Greek). Christ paid the wages of sin, which is death.

ECT is false because Christ would be tortured endlessly, which is not the case. Annihilationism is false because Christ would have stayed dead, but instead He rose again.

It also accurately points to how all things created on Earth will be worshipping God. This demonstrates that Conditional Immortality is wrong, because all things that were ever created, which is everyone, are worshipping the Lord, so death is eliminated for everybody.

The date of writing would be sometime between the date he was born and the date that he died, which is.

Born: c. 530 AD, Venetia, Kingdom of the Ostrogoths

Died: c. 600 or 609 AD, Pictavium, Kingdom of the Franks

Personally, I prefer the original Greek and Hebrew manuscripts of the scripture over the translations they made in Latin, and I say this knowing full well that the verses I post are English translations lol. Since translators are able to make mistakes when porting over the true words of God.

And on the topic of Saints, we must look to Christ Jesus alone for salvation. Jesus Christ is the only source of our salvation, not the saints. I post this piece here as a way to look back on some of the work of the Early Christians, brother to brother in Christ. After all, the predominant doctrine of the Early Christian Church was indeed Christian Universalism after all, the belief that Christ will save all people. Because everyone will believe in Christ and be saved.

• John 12:32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.
  • Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God

For the first 500 years of the Christian Church, one of the books on the Tentmaker sites discusses that Apocatastasis = Universal Salvation = Christian Universalism = The Bible Truth.

Universalism, the Prevailing Doctrine of the Christian Church During its First Five Hundred Years

Psalm NEB 138:8 The Lord will accomplish His purpose for me. Thy true love, 0 Lord, endures for ever, leave not thy work unfinished.

Scholars will point to the first period of the Early Christian Church starting at Christ’s crucifixion around 30-33 AD and ending at 325 AD at the First Council of Nicea. I use the term “Early Christian” here therefore as a general notion to refer to those who believed in Christ, early on, in general.

But what’s significant is that, this piece of poetry reveals that Christian Universalism continued to be a belief even after these initial 500 years, since St. Fortunatus was born after 530 AD. Yes, and you could even say that Christian Universalism continued to be a belief even after the initial 2000 years, all the way up to at least 2023 lol!

• Love
Reactions: St. SteVen and Adam

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 Corinthians 15
24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.

25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.

26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.

28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Dialogue on Hell & the “Possibility” of Universalism​

What does the Roman Catholic Church teach regarding the theologoumenon that at the moment before death, each unsaved individual encounters Christ who offers him one last chance at salvation?

I believe we teach that our fate is sealed before we die, which is why it is so important to “die a good death.” God can give much grace near the end, but once we die, the “chances” are done with. We are either saved or damned.

If that is a permissible doctrine for Catholics, then would it also be permissible to believe that no one ever rejects this last offer of salvation, thereby rendering Hell empty of human occupants?

That runs contrary to both Church teaching that we can accept or reject God, and biblical teaching concerning hell.
Universalism is not possible under Catholic, Orthodox, or Protestant assumptions and the Bible’s teaching.

read more here

Harold

Nov 11, 2022
Canada
jesus-saves-all.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Poem

Jesus Christ Christian Universalism

Christ the Lord, His grace abounding,

Sent to save our souls astound-ing,

To grant us sweet salvation,

A loving view of universal domination.

A sacrificial lamb without fault or blemish,

Our debt was paid, no extra payment to finish,

So all can be saved from death and sin,

This is God's love we cannot outrun.

All who call upon Lord Jesus Christ,

Will be made part of His blissful sight,

The power to open the door of Heaven,

The power of God's grace is free and grand,

Uniting us, from all parts of the land,

To live in eternal unity and peace,

This is the saving power of Jesus Christ.

Believe in Jesus Christ with faith alone to be saved permanently. And thus everyone will eventually all become believers in Jesus Christ and be saved permanently. Amen.

1 Corinthians 15:22-28 All will be made alive in Christ, but each in his own turn and ultimately Christ will subdue all His enemies, eliminate death and God will be all in all.

Harold

Nov 11, 2022
Canada
jesus-saves-all.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Poème​

Jésus Christ Universalisme

Avoir la foi seulement en le Christ pour etre sauver de vos péchés definitivement. Et donc, tout le monde va devenir les croyant en Jésus et vont etre sauver, c'est garantie!

Jésus Christ, venu du ciel

Amour et lumière vers nous il apporte

Voyageur cosmique, universel messager

D’espoir il offre au monde une liberté plus grande

Dans un monde déchiré, sa parole est claire

D’amour et de paix il incarne l’essence divine

En passant par son éternel sagesse

Il libère de toutes les souffrances

Il nous enseigne l’espérance, purifiant tous nos maux

Il nous rappelle l’importance de la foi et de la gentillesse

Avec son pouvoir bienveillant glorieux

Il guide ses enfants vers le bonheur et la joie

Avec sa toute-puissance universelle,

Il tend la main et console les âmes blessées

En offrant la lumière de l’amour et de l’espoir

Le rêve de l’universalisme se réalise.

Osée 13;14 Je les rachèterai de la puissance du séjour des morts, Je les délivrerai de la mort. O mort, où est ta peste? Séjour des morts, où est ta destruction?

Harold

Nov 11, 2022
Canada
jesus-saves-all.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Song

Title

Christ Atone Faith Alone

Jesus Christ Christian Universalism

Verse 1

Jesus' sacrifice made us free

Universalism for you and me

A loving savior in grace and truth

Showing mercy, not grief or ruth

Chorus

Jesus, universal love

It's in your name from above

And we accept it in our lives

Christ's message never dies

Verse 2

Jesus the King, His glory is true

His mighty power, it reaches all of you

He came from the Heavens, His love beyond compare

Gave His life for us, no greater love is there

The gates of Heaven open for all with His grace

So great a gift we embrace

Verse 3

For our sins, Jesus died to atone

Believe in Christ with faith alone

Everyone's souls, healed from New Jerusalem's tree

No matter our sin, we are blameless and free

Bridge

Without judgement or fear

Joyful acceptance is here

A healing love for all to see

In Jesus the world will be free

Chorus

Jesus, universal love

It's in your name from above

And we accept it in our lives

Christ's message never dies

Psalm 86:9 All the nations you have made will come and worship before you, 0 Lord; they will bring glory to your name.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Universalism is not possible under Catholic, Orthodox, or Protestant assumptions and the Bible’s teaching.
Orthodox? Not as I understand it. Assumptions? We can agree on that. - LOL

"The Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge" by Schaff-Herzog, 1908, volume 12, page 96 German theologian- Philip Schaff, Editor: "In the first five or six centuries of Christianity there were six theological schools, of which four (Alexandria, Antioch, Caesarea, and Edessa, or Nisibis) were Universalist, one (Ephesus) accepted conditional immortality; one (Carthage or Rome) taught endless punishment of the wicked. Other theological schools are mentioned as founded by Universalists, but their actual doctrine on this subject is not known."

• Love
Reactions: Harold