Easter 2024... We are so lucky

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but not for the reasons you may be thinking.

We all know the story of Easter week and the tie in to Passover.

Where in the world would that story be carried to it it was this year......

Easter is March 31, 2024

Passover starts April 22, 2024.....

Question.... since the KJV was commissioned in 1604 and published in 1611.... Wonder which year the translations of the 4 Gospels took place and when Passover was that year.... and also that of Acts.

Maybe those men were using current dates for things to include the name of Easter in Acts?????

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but not for the reasons you may be thinking.

We all know the story of Easter week and the tie in to Passover.

Where in the world would that story be carried to it it was this year......

Easter is March 31, 2024

Passover starts April 22, 2024.....

Question.... since the KJV was commissioned in 1604 and published in 1611.... Wonder which year the translations of the 4 Gospels took place and when Passover was that year.... and also that of Acts.

Maybe those men were using current dates for things to include the name of Easter in Acts?????
It took me a few minutes to grasp your train of thought, but I think I know what you are saying.
The KJV is translated from the Textus Receptus Greek (TRG).

Here is the comparison:
KJV Acts 12
[4] And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

TRG Acts 12
[4] whomsoever thou hast caught, put him in prison, hand over four quarters of soldiers to guard him, and after the Passover, bring him back to the people.

Last edited:

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It took me a few minutes to grasp your train of thought, but I think I know what you are saying.
The KJV is translated from the Textus Receptus Greek (TRG).

Here is the comparison:
KJV Acts 12
[4] And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

TRG Acts 12
[4] whomsoever thou hast caught, put him in prison, hand over four quarters of soldiers to guard him, and after the Passover, bring him back to the people.
Actually I was referencing that based on what we have been told about the crucifixion and Passover.. and the weekly Sabbath that week leading to the Resurrection,,, and the perfect timing and how all worked like clock work to that empty tomb that if it was this year... with Passover being almost a month past Easter... if this had been the timing back then it would have thrown everything off from what we were taught.

Even the "Last Supper" would have not happened... instead it might just have been a weekly Sabbath.

NOW... a great sore spot with me is the use of Easter that Jimmy's men put in his translation.

And I am sick and tired of those that make excuses for why that word was used.

First of all... and most important.... is that there never was, nor has there ever been nor will there ever be a command from God that told us to "Celebrate" this event of Jesus' resurrection.

So... what were they thinking.

It is possible that one of those brainiac translators wanted to be a smart donkey and use the word Easter to show Jimmy how smart their translations were???

In any event.

Britannica says this:
Easter, principal festival of the Christian church, which celebrates the Resurrection of Jesus Christ on the third day after his Crucifixion. The earliest recorded observance of an Easter celebration comes from the 2nd century, though the commemoration of Jesus’ Resurrection probably occurred earlier.

Notable is that Easter was not celebrated at the time ACTs was written.

BUT AS THEY EXPAND I THINK THIS IS MORE LIKELY THE CASE.

The English word Easter, which parallels the German word Ostern, is of uncertain origin. One view, expounded by the Venerable Bede in the 8th century, was that it derived from Eostre, or Eostrae, the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring and fertility. This view presumes—as does the view associating the origin of Christmas on December 25 with pagan celebrations of the winter solstice—that Christians appropriated pagan names and holidays for their highest festivals. Given the determination with which Christians combated all forms of paganism (the belief in multiple deities), this appears a rather dubious presumption. There is now widespread consensus that the word derives from the Christian designation of Easter week as in albis, a Latin phrase that was understood as the plural of alba (“dawn”) and became eostarum in Old High German, the precursor of the modern German and English term. The Latin and Greek Pascha (“Passover”) provides the root for Pâques, the French word for Easter.

But one has to ask them selves if Jimmy's men would have looked to a French word back in 1611

It is possible because history tells us that in 1606, 24 February Commercial treaty between England and France signed in Paris

But I cannot ignor that pagan end of things which is furthered by How did we get the word 'Easter?'

1712071084967.png

How did we get the word 'Easter?'​

The word 'Easter'

The origin of the word Easter is debated. The Venerable Bede (673-735 AD) was fascinated by the dating of Easter, and he postulated that the word derived from an Anglo-Saxon goddess Eostre. However he is the only source for this idea, and there is no other mention of this goddess in material which does not derive directly or indirectly from Bede.

Bede is normally relied upon as an accurate source, but some scholars think that this goddess did not exist. The Encyclopaedia Britannica says "There is now widespread consensus that..." a Germanic source word led to the English word Easter, via Anglo-Saxon, which also led to the German word for Easter, which is Ostern.

( my note: Now it seems Germany is in the mix over France.........???????????????)

It is thought to come from the word for dawn, which was related to the word for east, because the sun rises at dawn in the east. Eostur-monaþ (Easter month) was the Anglo-Saxon name of the month which we now called April. So the festival of Easter may just be named after the month it usually fell in.

Some people say that we should not use the word 'Easter' because it may refer to a pagan deity, but then so do all the days of our week, which are mainly named after Anglo-Saxon deities. The months January and March are named after Roman gods, and the months July and August are named after deified Roman Emperors. If we stopped using words because in the distant past it may possibly have an etymology derived from a pagan deity, which we have forgotten about and no longer honour nor believe in, then that would invalidate almost all our calendars and diaries, and most church notice boards. Today the reality is that the word Easter is associated with a Christian festival, even if it is linked to many non-Christian or quasi-Christin folk traditions like painted eggs.

So, I shall stop because even though Some people argue that Christians should not use the word Easter because it is not found in the Bible, but then the word Bible is not in the Bible either. Yet many people miss that the word Easter is in the Bible, albeit some old versions. It was used in William Tyndale's New Testament, and is actually still found in one very common translation of the English Bible. The venerable Authorised or King James Version (KJV) uses the word Easter in just one verse in Acts 12:4. Early editions of the King James Version also included a table for finding the date of Easter. The Church of England clearly had no objection to the use of the word Easter... I find it a problem because we are not told to celebrate this most Holy Day... and to do so under a questionable names for it I find to be a problem

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually I was referencing that based on what we have been told about the crucifixion and Passover.. and the weekly Sabbath that week leading to the Resurrection,,, and the perfect timing and how all worked like clock work to that empty tomb that if it was this year... with Passover being almost a month past Easter... if this had been the timing back then it would have thrown everything off from what we were taught.

Even the "Last Supper" would have not happened... instead it might just have been a weekly Sabbath.

NOW... a great sore spot with me is the use of Easter that Jimmy's men put in his translation.

And I am sick and tired of those that make excuses for why that word was used.

First of all... and most important.... is that there never was, nor has there ever been nor will there ever be a command from God that told us to "Celebrate" this event of Jesus' resurrection.

So... what were they thinking.

It is possible that one of those brainiac translators wanted to be a smart donkey and use the word Easter to show Jimmy how smart their translations were???

In any event.

Britannica says this:
Easter, principal festival of the Christian church, which celebrates the Resurrection of Jesus Christ on the third day after his Crucifixion. The earliest recorded observance of an Easter celebration comes from the 2nd century, though the commemoration of Jesus’ Resurrection probably occurred earlier.

Notable is that Easter was not celebrated at the time ACTs was written.

BUT AS THEY EXPAND I THINK THIS IS MORE LIKELY THE CASE.

The English word Easter, which parallels the German word Ostern, is of uncertain origin. One view, expounded by the Venerable Bede in the 8th century, was that it derived from Eostre, or Eostrae, the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring and fertility. This view presumes—as does the view associating the origin of Christmas on December 25 with pagan celebrations of the winter solstice—that Christians appropriated pagan names and holidays for their highest festivals. Given the determination with which Christians combated all forms of paganism (the belief in multiple deities), this appears a rather dubious presumption. There is now widespread consensus that the word derives from the Christian designation of Easter week as in albis, a Latin phrase that was understood as the plural of alba (“dawn”) and became eostarum in Old High German, the precursor of the modern German and English term. The Latin and Greek Pascha (“Passover”) provides the root for Pâques, the French word for Easter.

But one has to ask them selves if Jimmy's men would have looked to a French word back in 1611

It is possible because history tells us that in 1606, 24 February Commercial treaty between England and France signed in Paris

But I cannot ignor that pagan end of things which is furthered by How did we get the word 'Easter?'

View attachment 43992

How did we get the word 'Easter?'​

The word 'Easter'

The origin of the word Easter is debated. The Venerable Bede (673-735 AD) was fascinated by the dating of Easter, and he postulated that the word derived from an Anglo-Saxon goddess Eostre. However he is the only source for this idea, and there is no other mention of this goddess in material which does not derive directly or indirectly from Bede.

Bede is normally relied upon as an accurate source, but some scholars think that this goddess did not exist. The Encyclopaedia Britannica says "There is now widespread consensus that..." a Germanic source word led to the English word Easter, via Anglo-Saxon, which also led to the German word for Easter, which is Ostern.

( my note: Now it seems Germany is in the mix over France.........???????????????)

It is thought to come from the word for dawn, which was related to the word for east, because the sun rises at dawn in the east. Eostur-monaþ (Easter month) was the Anglo-Saxon name of the month which we now called April. So the festival of Easter may just be named after the month it usually fell in.

Some people say that we should not use the word 'Easter' because it may refer to a pagan deity, but then so do all the days of our week, which are mainly named after Anglo-Saxon deities. The months January and March are named after Roman gods, and the months July and August are named after deified Roman Emperors. If we stopped using words because in the distant past it may possibly have an etymology derived from a pagan deity, which we have forgotten about and no longer honour nor believe in, then that would invalidate almost all our calendars and diaries, and most church notice boards. Today the reality is that the word Easter is associated with a Christian festival, even if it is linked to many non-Christian or quasi-Christin folk traditions like painted eggs.

So, I shall stop because even though Some people argue that Christians should not use the word Easter because it is not found in the Bible, but then the word Bible is not in the Bible either. Yet many people miss that the word Easter is in the Bible, albeit some old versions. It was used in William Tyndale's New Testament, and is actually still found in one very common translation of the English Bible. The venerable Authorised or King James Version (KJV) uses the word Easter in just one verse in Acts 12:4. Early editions of the King James Version also included a table for finding the date of Easter. The Church of England clearly had no objection to the use of the word Easter... I find it a problem because we are not told to celebrate this most Holy Day... and to do so under a questionable names for it I find to be a problem
I have followed much the same path for discernment, but not so much in the detail that you have shown, of which I do understand.

However, before you throw "Jimmy" in the swamp of "misfit" Bibles, I might add this one thought: Israel, in the time of Christ, followed the Jewish Calendar by the Moon, whereas most of the world has been hooked up with the Gregorian Calendar by the Sun, ever since 1582 AD. When you compare the two, the Jewish Calendar has numerous "leap years".

But then again, what shall we say of those countries and nations that follow other, different calendars?? Hmmm. Maybe the Jewish Calendar is really the correct one??

BTW, as a Born Again Christian myself, since 1975 (yes, AD), I have studied the KJV, and many of the popular bibles that are out there.
In brief testimony, I once had an Eight translation Parallel NT Bible, and almost lost my mind, as well as my salvation....seriously.
To God I repented of how I was learning, and asked Him (and committed to), that ONLY by His Holy Spirit (and not by the widom of men- 1 Cor. 2:5), I would learn His Words with His discernment.

YES!! You guessed it!!
Ever since 1982, "Jimmy" IS THE ONLY BIBLE FOR ME, WITH NO REGRETS, for the past 42 years (2024 minus 1982).
I no longer read or study "Religious Syfy Fiction".

Last edited:

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have followed much the same path for discernment, but not so much in the detail that you have shown, of which I do understand.

However, before you throw "Jimmy" in the swamp of "misfit" Bibles, I might add this one thought: Israel, in the time of Christ, followed the Jewish Calendar by the Moon, whereas most of the world has been hooked up with the Gregorian Calendar by the Sun, ever since 1582 AD. When you compare the two, the Jewish Calendar has numerous "leap years".

But then again, what shall we say of those countries and nations that follow other, different calendars?? Hmmm. Maybe the Jewish Calendar is really the correct one??

BTW, as a Born Again Christian myself, since 1975 (yes, AD), I have studied the KJV, and many of the popular bibles that are out there.
In brief testimony, I once had an Eight translation Parallel NT Bible, and almost lost my mind, as well as my salvation....seriously.
To God I repented of how I was learning, and asked Him (and committed to), that ONLY by His Holy Spirit (and not by the widom of men- 1 Cor. 2:5), I would learn His Words with His discernment.

YES!! You guessed it!!
Ever since 1982, "Jimmy" IS THE ONLY BIBLE FOR ME, WITH NO REGRETS, for the past 42 years (2024 minus 1982).
I no longer read or study "Religious Syfy Fiction".
Nothing wrong with that. You, as the majority prefer KJV.

For myself... I have for years had the NASB95 as my go to.

Followed by the Greek Interlinear and Peshitta(Aramaic) for comparisons of scriptures in a similar time period.

And the Septuagint LXX for old testament.

Recently I am checking out the NEW REVISED STANDARD VERSION UPDATED EDITION... NRSVUE
as it is from the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA (NCC) hopes that you will find this New Revised Standard Version Updated Edition (NRSVue) suitable to inspire, inform, and guide daily living. The goal of the NRSVue is to offer a readable and accurate version of the Holy Bible to the global English-speaking community for public worship and personal study, for scholarship and study in classrooms, and for informing faith and action in response to God.

And prior to this I was checking out the and still do

The LSV... DALLAS, Aug. 20, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The recently published LSV Bible from Covenant Press has charted a fundamentally different course than the 20th and 21st century Critical Text translations. The new Literal Standard Version is based on the Textus Receptus, in line with the earlier Geneva Bible and King James. It's a major revision of the literal translation by Robert Young, known popularly as Young's Literal Translation, with a relationship to Young's that is similar to that between the English Standard Version and the Revised Standard Version or the NKJV and MEV to the King James.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing wrong with that. You, as the majority prefer KJV.

For myself... I have for years had the NASB95 as my go to.

Followed by the Greek Interlinear and Peshitta(Aramaic) for comparisons of scriptures in a similar time period.

And the Septuagint LXX for old testament.

Recently I am checking out the NEW REVISED STANDARD VERSION UPDATED EDITION... NRSVUE
as it is from the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA (NCC) hopes that you will find this New Revised Standard Version Updated Edition (NRSVue) suitable to inspire, inform, and guide daily living. The goal of the NRSVue is to offer a readable and accurate version of the Holy Bible to the global English-speaking community for public worship and personal study, for scholarship and study in classrooms, and for informing faith and action in response to God.

And prior to this I was checking out the and still do

The LSV... DALLAS, Aug. 20, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The recently published LSV Bible from Covenant Press has charted a fundamentally different course than the 20th and 21st century Critical Text translations. The new Literal Standard Version is based on the Textus Receptus, in line with the earlier Geneva Bible and King James. It's a major revision of the literal translation by Robert Young, known popularly as Young's Literal Translation, with a relationship to Young's that is similar to that between the English Standard Version and the Revised Standard Version or the NKJV and MEV to the King James.
Yes, I agree! We should have our "go to" Bibles to read from, for our daily walk in the Lord!

Honestly, what happened to me with my Eight Translation NT Parallel bible, I would not want to see it happen to anyone else. It was so bad of an experience, I literally tore up the five inches of it's thickness, just so that no one else would find it, and become as confused as I was. So, it was back to the KJV for me, with of course for references, being the Youngs Concordance and the Strongs, but only in the Textus Receptus Greek.

I learned it the hard way, NOT to get into the other Greek texts of translations. Much of them have been "denominationally inspired corrupted".
1 Cor. 2
[5] That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the POWER of God.