Easter question

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

blessed76

Feb 18, 2008
Someone asked if Easter was biblical a few questions down.I was raised Baptist, went to a Christian school for many years, but we weren't devout in our faith. We were pew warmers. I am now 32 and trying to truly know the Lord and change my life.So...what about Easter? And Christmas? Can I celebrate them in the traditional way AS WELL as in my new faith? In other words, is it wrong to give my kid an Easter basket? Can I still have a Christmas tree and give gifts? These holidays mean something different to me now that I am learning more and trying to truly embrace Christianity, but can I also continue to celebrate with baskets and carols?

Reactions: ScottA and Nancy

waynemlj

Feb 8, 2008
Hi blessed76,Yes, you can celebrate Christmas and Easter in the traditional way. Just see the deeper meaning in both. If you have children, make sure to explain that the real meaning of Christmas is to celebrate the gift that God gave us by sending His Son to become a man (born by the Holy Spirit) to become our Savior, to save us from our sins.And the same for Easter, the Easter eggs, etc. are fine, but see and teach the incredible point that we are celebrating Jesus' Resurrection from the dead. That guarantees our resurrection to eternal life, too.waynemlj

blessed76

Feb 18, 2008
Thanks Wayne and Dr. Bubba!I don't have kids, so no worry on that front. The real problem is ME. And my husband. I wanted to know if celebrating was okay, and I get what you're saying. I have been feeling, ESPECIALLY at Christmas, a bigger let down every year. The gifts get bigger, the tree gets bigger, the dinner gets bigger. But I feel emptier and emptier. I think seeking out the deeper meaning, the *real* meaning, is what I've been missing. I enjoy the "trimmings" and I love that I can keep them a part of my celebrations, but my point at these holidays will be Jesus. You're the best! Thanks!

newmoon

Feb 16, 2008
I have been feeling, ESPECIALLY at Christmas, a bigger let down every year. The gifts get bigger, the tree gets bigger, the dinner gets bigger. But I feel emptier and emptier. I think seeking out the deeper meaning, the *real* meaning, is what I've been missing.
Don't worry, lots of people feel the same - even secular Brits.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
This year the woman who teaches our class and I noticed that Easter and Passover are a month apart, and that Passover falls on Sunday this year. We were thinking of having a special lesson regarding Passover, the true "Easter" to the early Christians. The idea is to make the connection to the biblical holidays, even though this was replaced by pagan Easter. Since they are a month apart, this will give Passover its own limelight.BTW, noticed I said "Sunday". I go to a mainline church that worships then, but just for the record, I am more comfortable with Saturday. Some churches decided to keep the Firstfruits day (which always falls on the Sunday during Passover week) as the new Sabbath to make it a weekly commemoration of the Lord's resurrection. But I personally only believe that the bible endorses two Sunday holidays as opposed to weekly. But unlike some, I will not make it an argumentative salvation issue regarding either day.

Inhishands

Feb 21, 2008
(waynemlj;36922)
Hi blessed76,Yes, you can celebrate Christmas and Easter in the traditional way. Just see the deeper meaning in both. If you have children, make sure to explain that the real meaning of Christmas is to celebrate the gift that God gave us by sending His Son to become a man (born by the Holy Spirit) to become our Savior, to save us from our sins.And the same for Easter, the Easter eggs, etc. are fine, but see and teach the incredible point that we are celebrating Jesus' Resurrection from the dead. That guarantees our resurrection to eternal life, too.waynemlj
Amen!

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Someone asked if Easter was biblical a few questions down.I was raised Baptist, went to a Christian school for many years, but we weren't devout in our faith. We were pew warmers. I am now 32 and trying to truly know the Lord and change my life.So...what about Easter? And Christmas? Can I celebrate them in the traditional way AS WELL as in my new faith? In other words, is it wrong to give my kid an Easter basket? Can I still have a Christmas tree and give gifts? These holidays mean something different to me now that I am learning more and trying to truly embrace Christianity, but can I also continue to celebrate with baskets and carols?

There is nothing pagan about either Christmas or Easter, they are both thoroughly Christian holidays that have been observed from the very beginning of the faith. The many customs that have come to be associated with these religious holidays are simply the result of Christians through the millennia living out their faith in day-to-day life. For example, Easter eggs came to play a central role in the Christian Easter feast simply because they were one of the foods that were abstained from during the 40-day fast before Easter (called "Lent"). This fasting from all animal products (meats, fats such as milk, cheese, butter, etc. and eggs, alcohol and sweets) has been the practice of Christians since the very beginning and have been part of the Christian religious calendar since the 1st century.

As Protestants, we still retain some of the customs of the Orthodox faiths but have jettisoned so many others that we have lost sight of the meaning and purposes behind many of our customs. Only someone who fasts from eggs for 40 days can really appreciate the joy of feasting on eggs once again at Easter, let alone all the customs that have come to be associated with it: decorating and hiding eggs to make the day special for little children too young to understand the deeper significance of death and resurrection, farm wives letting their flock set the eggs so they don't spoil and the Easter season seeing the farmyard filled with new baby chicks (now-a-days the stores being filled with marshmallow peeps), and children once more enjoying candy!

There is nothing "pagan" about any of these holidays or the customs that have come to be associated with them, we Protestants have just lost the history, meaning and purpose of them.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

Reactions: Stan B

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

The faith of Christ is not about religious observances. It's about knowing our need of God and approaching Him with a trust in humility and fear making our requests to Him according to His will.

If that doesn't work right away...repeat with more and more of yourself engaged until you succeed. :)

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Wayne and Dr. Bubba!I don't have kids, so no worry on that front. The real problem is ME. And my husband. I wanted to know if celebrating was okay, and I get what you're saying. I have been feeling, ESPECIALLY at Christmas, a bigger let down every year. The gifts get bigger, the tree gets bigger, the dinner gets bigger. But I feel emptier and emptier. I think seeking out the deeper meaning, the *real* meaning, is what I've been missing. I enjoy the "trimmings" and I love that I can keep them a part of my celebrations, but my point at these holidays will be Jesus. You're the best! Thanks!

Really just don't worry about those things. Don't make a religion out of it. Enjoy getting together with your family. With those who will, join together in Christ Jesus and have joy at His coming.

The word "Easter" in the KJV Book of Acts is an addition by the translators. The actual New Testament manuscript word there in Acts 12:4 is pascha, meaning passover. There is a Christian passover, our Lord Jesus Himself (1 Corinthians 5:7).

Reactions: Nancy

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
is it wrong to give my kid an Easter basket? Can I still have a Christmas tree and give gifts? These holidays mean something different to me now that I am learning more and trying to truly embrace Christianity, but can I also continue to celebrate with baskets and carols?

First, welcome home! I applaud you in your coming back and efforts to be reunited with Christ.

You asked if it was ok do do these things. I would like to ask you what compelled you to ask these questions. Did someone tell you they were wrong? Did you read a post that criticized Christmas and Easter, and it made you wonder? Or do you see something in the scripture that makes you believe you shouldn't?

Let me make it shorter: are you asking because someone told you it was wrong or because you see it is wrong?

I have my opinions on these things (it's not hard to find them on this board), but I'd really be interested in hearing how you came to asking these questions.

Again, I'm happy to hear you are returning to the Lord!

Reactions: Nancy

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think our intention is what matters. If we do something to remember and honor Jesus, it's fine since our hearts are pure.

1 Samuel 16:7 But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Neither Christmas or easter have anything to do with God, but if on those 2 days, some might "think" about them, there is no problem, was it not Jesus who said.

Mar 9:38 And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
Mar 9:39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
Mar 9:40 For he that is not against us is on our part.

it is enough that some should remember.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
There is nothing "pagan" about any of these holidays or the customs that have come to be associated with them, we Protestants have just lost the history, meaning and purpose of them.

You with NOTHING specific, NOTHING in Scripture, NOTHING about, NOTHING on, NOTHING of, NOTHING from Scripture, NOTHING LIKE Scripture, generally talk abysmal un-Scriptural anti-Scriptural non-Scripture. In other words, you primarily and rigidly talk demonic Roman Catholic agenda--<the authority of the Church>-- pure nonsensical non-factual idiotic Antichrist idiosyncrasy!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
There is nothing pagan about either Christmas or Easter, they are both thoroughly Christian holidays that have been observed from the very beginning of the faith. The many customs that have come to be associated with these religious holidays are simply the result of Christians through the millennia living out their faith in day-to-day life.

Now to me it has become more and more obvious that the evil clandestine hopes and prospects of the deeper Church are reached and furthered through 'Tradition' which doesn't need pristine Scripture at all. Roman Catholic and all the Catholic Church including Protestantism and Reformed Protestantism are become one in this her desperate and final effort in her long history of demonic Antichrist rule of terror and covert indoctrination, her chief tool for has been 'Tradition'.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The scriptures show us that The Only True God Jehovah never approved of his people taking what belongs to pagan gods or pagan religion and combine it with what belonged to him as regards true worship. Christmas and the things that are attached to it are of pagan design. Easter also is from pagan sources.

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whatever contradicts the Word of God should be instantly resisted as diabolical. John Bunyan

You with NOTHING specific, NOTHING in Scripture, NOTHING about, NOTHING on, NOTHING of, NOTHING from Scripture, NOTHING LIKE Scripture, generally talk abysmal un-Scriptural anti-Scriptural non-Scripture. In other words, you primarily and rigidly talk demonic Roman Catholic agenda--<the authority of the Church>-- pure nonsensical non-factual idiotic Antichrist idiosyncrasy!

There is nothing which contradicts the Word of God in fasting and feasting in celebration of the wondrous works of God. Indeed, as the Law of God itself proves, it is the very essence of fellowship with God.

The fact that you are uninformed, or rather, tragically misinformed, about the actual history of the Easter and Christmas feasts of the Christian calendar is your loss. The observance of both of these holidays can be traced back in Christian writings to the time of the apostles. It is up to you whether you are interested in the actual history of these celebrations of the life of Christ or prefer to cling to the anti-Catholic Hislopian tirade that has become so popular of late. The hostility in your response above suggests the latter.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer