1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eating Blood?

Discussion in 'Bible Study Forum' started by blankshot, Jan 4, 2014.

1. blankshot

blankshot New Member

I'm a catholic non-denominational, I eat blood. Does 1 Corinthians 8 apply to catholics who eat blood?

1 Corinthians 8:8-9 ESV Food will not commend us to God. We are no worse off if we do not eat, and no better off if we do. (9) But take care that this right of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak.

2. Webers_Home

Webers_Home Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The Jerusalem council ruled against Christians eating blood. (Acts 15:20)

Buen Camino
    /

day likes this.
  3. blankshot

blankshot New Member

Blood could mean violence and not as blood as in literal blood.

1 Corinthians 10:27 ESV If one of the unbelievers invites you to dinner and you are disposed to go, eat whatever is set before you without raising any question on the ground of conscience.

4. Quantrill

Quantrill New Member

The purpose of which is the same as 1Cor. 8:8-9

Acts 15:21 " For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day."

I eat pork, and have ate 'blood sausage'.

Quantrill

5. Webers_Home

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The way I see it: the Jerusalem council's ruling is saying that if there's a
    synagogue in your community, then the Christians in your community are to
    abstain from eating blood in order to avoid driving the Jews in your community,
    for whom Christ died, away from the gospel.

I also take the council's ruling to be saying that if there's a synagogue in
    your community; then the Christian churches in your community are to abstain
    from sacraments and/or rituals that include eating blood in order to avoid
    driving the Jews in your community, for whom Christ died, away from the
    gospel; which of course implicates the sacramental ritual of transubstantiation.

The council's ruling is not optional; no, it's God's wishes.

†. Acts 15:28-29 . . For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay
    upon you no greater burden than these essentials: that you abstain from
    things sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and
    from fornication. If you keep yourselves free from such things, you will do
    well.

Buen Camino
    /

6. Pelaides

Pelaides New Member

Modern science is just finding out,that most of the foods that are we are forbiden to eat in the Bible can and will make you sick,if consumed over a long period of time.Animal fat is a good example of this,It is not fit for human consumption in the Bible,And now were finding out it is linked to cardio :) vascular disease,plus many other illnesses.
    Salvation may not depend on the old dietary laws,But good health seems to.

7. Raeneske

Raeneske New Member

It cannot apply, because something has to be allowed for you to be able to cite those Scripture verses in support of your actions. We are commanded to abstain from blood, thus this does not apply.

Acts 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

Acts 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Hope this helps! :)

8. John 8:32

John 8:32 New Member

Lev 3:17 'This shall be a perpetual statute throughout your generations in all your dwellings: you shall eat neither fat nor blood.' "

But what would the Designer and Creator of the human body know?

9. Webers_Home

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Good point.

Man was permitted to eat fruits in the garden of Eden.

After he fell, man was permitted to eat vegetables.

After the Flood, man was permitted to eat meat.

But ever since the Flood, man has been continuously, and consistently
    forbidden to eat blood.

Since blood is forbidden rather than optional, then I would conclude that it's
    no more acceptable in God's eyes for Christians to consume blood than it is
    for them to consume crystal methamphetamine. This is especially important
    for Christians instructed to work out their salvation as per Php 2:12-13.

Buen Camino
    /

10. KingJ

KingJ New Member

Kind of. What blood you eat / drink and why? If it is anything along the lines of ritualistically drinking animal blood, you know what God will think of that.

11. williemac

williemac New Member

"Eating blood" in Acts 15 is simply a reference to consuming blood that was involved in animal sacrifice. It was not merely a dietary restriction for health reasons. We are to partake of the blood of Jesus. Thus we are talking here of a conflict in and violation of, spiritual alliance. ....In my humble opinion....

12. Arnie Manitoba

Arnie Manitoba Well-Known Member

If we are not to eat fat I wonder why a "fattened calf" was always selected for sacrifice ??

13. lforrest

lforrest Well-Known Member Staff Member Admin

Faith:
    Christian
    Leviticus 3:16 "The priest shall burn them on the altar as a food offering, a pleasing aroma. All the fat is the Lord’s."

I wounder if the fat represents us Christians connected with Christ.

14. blankshot

blankshot New Member

We eat blood in the Philippines as a regular dish

15. Pelaides

Pelaides New Member

And when you get sick dont blame God. :wacko:

16. KingJ

KingJ New Member

I think God's only concern would be as Pelaides said, getting sick. Blood is toxic. A little won't harm you but a lot will.

17. day

day New Member

God said it is not good for us to eat blood and fat. Why do we not believe him and avoid those things? There are plenty of other things to eat that are good for us.

In Eden, Satan implied that God's intentions were evil in keeping Adam and Eve from attaining the knowledge found in the fruit of a particular tree. Today we are still choosing to believe Satan's lie that God's laws are keeping us from something good rather than protecting us from something bad.

KingJ likes this.
  18. John 8:32

John 8:32 New Member

EXACTLY! Why is it so hard to do what God says? Oh wait, maybe I know...

Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

19. digging

digging New Member

I don't eat blood because I don't like it, not because there is a command against plain old blood. There always is a little blood in all meat we eat. As for the fat that is not true that animal fat is bad for you, rather it is precious and was sacred and the priests were to show this by burning it.

So what could the lesson be regarding the not eating of blood? How about not feeding ourselves based on the suffering, misery and death of other people? Learn to not feed on what causes death.....

Recall how Jesus was blood and murder as meaning the same thing. Matt 23:30,31

Digging

20. Pelaides

Pelaides New Member

Are you aware that your precious fat raises your cholesterol and tryglyceride levels,which is now known to cause heart disease.
    Do you also know that eating contaminated monkey blood may be the way the aids virus came into the humanpopulation.
    Did you know that people who try to follow the dietary laws in the Bible live longer happier lives.The Seven day Adventists are proof of this.