EBSCOHost Christian Universalism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Harold

Nov 11, 2022
Canada
jesus-saves-all.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I’ve done it! That’s right, I’ve gained access to EBSCOHOST, with a valid sign in and password. I found an institution that I can login through, now I can research academic papers related to Christian Universalism.
EBSCOhost Research Platform | EBSCO

It is the belief that Jesus Christ will save everyone. Because to be saved means to believe in Christ Jesus with faith alone to be washed of all sins permanently. And thus everyone will become believers in Jesus Christ and be made clean to be in Heaven with the Lord.

First the search result link:
https://web.s.ebscohost.com/ehost/r...lPTAmc2VhcmNoTW9kZT1BbmQmc2l0ZT1laG9zdC1saXZl

And let’s examine individual academic theological results.

https://web.s.ebscohost.com/ehost/d...=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ==#AN=un012100&db=funk
Title: Universalism Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia,
Database: Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia
About 1750 an organization calling itself Universalist was created in London. Before that time the believers in universal salvation were affiliated with sects bearing various names, among them, Origenists and Merciful Doctors
[However this article mistakes Universalist for Unitarian Universalists. While it’s true that everyone will be go to Heaven, Jesus is the ONLY way to Heaven. There are Unitarian Universalists which falsely believe that other religions save people, works salvation, and other lies unfortunately. Only the Holy Blood of Christ washes our sins away. Only faith in Christ saves us!]

Origen apokatastasis

Other’s mention “The Wide Reach of Salvation: Christian Universalism in the Novels of Denise Giardina” by Jolliff, William
Source: Renascence. Spring2016, Vol. 68 Issue 2, p93-114. 22p.
Document Type: Book Review
Subjects: STORMING Heaven (Book : Giardina) UNQUIET Earth, The (Book) GIARDINA, Denise FICTION
ISSN: 0034-4346
Accession Number: 115359573

[And then it turns out it’s labelled as “fiction” meaning fake which is false. Double negative. Christian Universalism is “non fiction” meaning, not fake. Christian Universalism is true. Though, I have no way to read it since the institution I use does not have access to all the full text pdfs, so I can only really commentate on this bibliographical information.]
[Then again someone could make a “fictitious” work to promote Christian Universalism, which is “non fiction”.]

https://web.s.ebscohost.com/ehost/d...a=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ==#AN=77324406&db=f6h
Grace before anything.
Authors: Buchanan, John M.
Source: Christian Century. 6/27/2012, Vol. 129 Issue 13, p3-3. 3/4p.
Document Type: Article
Lexile: 1250
Full Text Word Count: 627
ISSN: 0009-5281
Accession Number: 77324406

[Here’s a great story I found from this article which reads]
LEWIS SMEDES, who taught theology at Fuller Seminary, studied with Karl Barth and once asked the great theologian if he was a universalist. Barth put his face close to Smedes, poked a finger in his chest and said, "I am not a universalist." Barth then asked Smedes, "You believe the Bible? Fine, then believe this too," and Barth quoted Paul's words, "Christ died not for our sins only but for the sins of the whole world," and added, "If you are worried about universalism, you had better begin worrying about the Bible." Smedes realized that he needed to quit worrying about whether he was acceptable to God, "to quit stewing about it and just rest in the fact that I was loved and accepted by God, no strings attached."
[Brilliantly put, God loves the whole world. That’s unconditional love. John 3:16. Thus God will save the whole world. Everyone will be washed by their sins and become a believer in Jesus Christ. God loves us enough to save us from sin, which is death! And He will succeed!]

“God consigning all those people to hell never squared in my mind with God loving us as a parent loves a child. I wondered how a parent could condemn a child to punishment forever.”
[God is Our Father, and He sent His Son down to die for our sins, to pay for them and be resurrected 3 days later, to save all of creation from the wages of sin, which is death. And He will succeed.]
[Lam. 3:31, 32 "The Lord will NOT cast off forever. Though He causes grief, yet He will show compassion according to the multitude of His mercies."]

This is an interesting idea John M. Buchanan posits:
“prevenient grace, grace that comes before anything else, in spite of anything we have done or not done.”
Of course, to be saved, a person must believe in Christ and be saved permanently. Those who do not believe will not be saved until they believe. However, that grace, grace enough and capable to save, has been there since the beginning. Jesus Christ, God, has existed since before the foundation of the world. It has always been in God’s nature, grace, and God has been there since the beginning (Genesis 1:1) thus grace being prevenient.
Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Titus 2:11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people,
[This Grace of God has also appeared, it is Jesus Christ, and He brings salvation to all people. Prevenient Grace here can be interpreted as the offer of salvation, it is up to us to accept the gift, but the offer will always be there, it won’t expire, it will stay until we accept it and all people will become believers in Christ Jesus, all will accept it.]

https://web.p.ebscohost.com/ehost/d...ata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ==#AN=851767&db=a9h
Must the Truth Offend?
Authors: Walls, Jerry L. Di Noia, J.A.
Source: First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life. Jun/Jul1998, Issue 84, p34-40. 7p.
Document Type: Article
Subject Terms: *CHRISTIANITY *CHRISTOLOGY *UNIVERSALISM (Theology)
Abstract: Asserts that true Christian universalism requires defending the unique role of Jesus Christ in salvation. Consequences of an exclusive religion; Concerns that adherence to universalism will offend other religions; Justification for the evangelization of non-Christians.
ISSN: 1047-5141
Accession Number: 851767

[I completely agree with the abstract. True Christian Universalism promotes evangelism, converting people to Christianity. Jesus is the only way to Heaven, therefore Christian Universalism is exclusive, however, everyone will become believers in Jesus, hence saving all people. Everyone will exclusively become believers in Jesus.]
[In terms of being a Christian, my mere existence will offend other people, so I tell people the Bible facts with kindness and love, out of love for both them and the Lord’s truth.]
[Evangelization of non-Christians is justified because, even though everyone will be saved eventually, the pain that people feel when they don’t know the truth is real. Every minute, every second that passes by, there could be someone out there who’s trapped in nihilism, atheism, absurdism, in fear of the world, like I used to be. If it weren’t for the resources of Christian Universalism that I read online, I would not be typing here with this joy, therefore, with this kindness, I tell others about Universal Reconciliation]
Isaiah 54:13 "All your children shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your children"

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Amen , good post …
I’ve never understood why ‘most Christian’s ‘ get furious about the blood of Jesus being ENOUGH , and accepted by the Father. It seems they are quite happy to believe the concept of God saying at the end of time - “ Yay 3% of all humanity saved , and 97% going to hell, let‘s have a party .”
‘Tis a great mystery to me….
And , what a surprise awaits them when they come face to face with the Father.
How will they feel ….I wonder….

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen , good post …
I’ve never understood why ‘most Christian’s ‘ get furious about the blood of Jesus being ENOUGH , and accepted by the Father. It seems they are quite happy to believe the concept of God saying at the end of time - “ Yay 3% of all humanity saved , and 97% going to hell, let‘s have a party .”
‘Tis a great mystery to me….
And , what a surprise awaits them when they come face to face with the Father.
How will they feel ….I wonder….
Blessings in Christ Jesus Helen! One day The Lord showed me what is in man. It started while I was reading The second chapter of the Gospel of John, last sentence. "For He knew what was in man" The Holy Spirit then took me around the Bible to show me things. In the old I was taken to where He talked about the thoughts and imaginations of man. In the new I was taken to what Jesus said concerning Peter and about the Pharicees father and other places. The last was "Father forgive them for they know not what they do." I remember back when I walked in darkness, I remember my thoughts and intentions. I was like my father(though did not know). I was a liar, a killer, and a thief. I was about self just like my father. In other words, I was unclean from birth through no fault of myself. This happened in the garden long before I was born. The Bible says that nothing unclean can enter in. I know from my personal relationship with The Lord that His desire is that no soul should perish. I also know that He is a door knocker. "Behold, I stand at the door and Knock....." I also know, because of calling, the love of The Lord for His creation when truly walking in The Spirit. I also know sadly that most who indentify as Christian are not, as The Spirit bears witness to The Spirit. The true difference in all these things is The Holy Spirit entering in. The absence of The Lord's indwelling leaves mankind unclean. So the Gospel message is so important and imperative. Yes the Blood of Jesus is more than enough. Yes His sacrifice was for the whole world but not all will receive it. It takes The Holy Spirit to touch the heart of those in darkness. This was His plan before the foundation of the world. The Lord working in us, and through us, to gather the lost, so He could set the captives free. Blessings!

Reactions: lforrest