Ecclesiastes?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
I recently tried reading the book of Ecclesiastes and I didn't get very far into chapter one before I was totally confused!!
blink.gif
Could somebody please explain to me what is going on in this book because I must be missing something here.

GeneralJ

Oct 20, 2008
QUOTE (followerofchrist @ Feb 14 2009, 11:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=69165
I recently tried reading the book of Ecclesiastes and I didn't get very far into chapter one before I was totally confused!!
blink.gif
Could somebody please explain to me what is going on in this book because I must be missing something here.
A basic understanding of what is happening in the book of Ecclesistes can be seen in Matthew Henries commentary. This is however a "basic" understanding. By the Spirit we are led to find out much greater riches in studying the text. However we can start with this.QUOTE
Matthew Henry's Concise CommentaryEcclesiastes 1:1The name of this book signifies "The Preacher." The wisdom of God here preaches to us, speaking by Solomon, who it is evident was the author. At the close of his life, being made sensible of his sin and folly, he recorded here his experience for the benefit of others, as the book of his repentance; and he pronounced all earthly good to be "vanity and vexation of spirit." It convinces us of the vanity of the world, and that it cannot make us happy; of the vileness of sin, and its certain tendency to make us miserable. It shows that no created good can satisfy the soul, and that happiness is to be found in God alone; and this doctrine must, under the blessed Spirit's teaching, lead the heart to Christ Jesus.
God bless you in your studies.General-

shmity72

Feb 17, 2009
attempt again. good call.make yourself comfortable when you read scripture and do not 'read' it as you would a manual for making a desk...you're making a body in Christ so you've gota like soak it in and meditate verse to verse.vanity of vanities...all is vanity.that alone takes me back. take your time.sincerely, shmity72

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
The Book of Ecclesiastes was written by king Solomon, by the presence of the Holy Spirit. This entire Book was written to "the man that walks under the sun", which is an expression that means, "to those that live in the flesh body". It is addressed to the soul that lives in this flesh body to tell us how to be happy while we live in the flesh body. It was written to give us peace of mind, and exist in the flesh body with what ever condition we find our selves in.if we can learn to understand of this book of Ecclesiastes, and live in accordance with it's instructions, we can be prosperous, happy, and have a total different understanding of our flesh bodies, and the spiritual body that dwells within our flesh bodies. This is the purpose of this book. It was written to give you happiness which you live in the flesh body, and give you a purpose and reason for living.Ecclesiastes takes a close look at both sides of the view of life in the flesh body. first takes a optimist look at life, then the pessimist view of life. Though the optimist will over play life in the flesh, but the beauty of it all is that you will see the truth that lies between the two. That truth will give us peace of mind.Ecclesiastes 1:1 "The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem."Son of David, and King in Jerusalem, identifies this Preacher as king Solomon.Ecclesiastes 1:2 "Vanity of vanities," saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.""Vanity" in the Hebrew is "habel" and denotes "emptiness". It is used adversely and shows something that is empty of reality.If you don't know where to look for peace of mind, everything will seem empty, and even money and wealth will not help you, even special privileges won't help you, if that are to do with this flesh world. However there is a wisdom and a way that those in the flesh can be fulfilled.Ecclesiastes 1:3 "What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?"This refers to earthly man. Solomon had gathered so much wealth in the world, that we cannot comprehend it in our minds. Solomon is saying that with the accumulation of all this wealth, how long will flesh man enjoy it.Hopefully this will give you the right frame of mind to get into the book pay attention to When a question is asked as opposed to making a statement let us know if you get stuck on a verse.