Emotion replacing study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my Bible reading today, I came upon a verse that reminded me of another passage. Psalms 45:8 which speaks of the fragrances of the garments of the Bride of Christ (truth). They "smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia..."

In contrast, speaking of the strange woman in Proverbs 7:17, she states, "I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon."

Notice the difference? There is a replacement. So, just who is that strange woman, besides being a lady of the evening?

She is false doctrine. This speaks pointedly to a present day dilemma. So much error today is cloaked with the fragrance of truth, but in reality, cinnamon has replaced cassia.

We must be vigilant, especially now that so much of the truth is being laid aside for the sake of peace among the brethren. Truths have become rewritten and watered down by the use of good sounding phrases and promises.

What has evolved is a widespread belief that the only path to peaceful relationships among believers with varying doctrinal emphases is to believe that no truth deserves approval by everyone.

In other words, one can’t make a claim that the truth that he/she holds deserves belief by everybody. And, so to maintain unity, if that is indeed the goal, we must abandon agreement.

In many cases emotion has replaced the deep search for truths, because, after all, an insistence on a truth is seen as arrogance, not love, and must be set aside for community.

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my Bible reading today, I came upon a verse that reminded me of another passage. Psalms 45:8 which speaks of the fragrances of the garments of the Bride of Christ (truth). They "smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia..."

In contrast, speaking of the strange woman in Proverbs 7:17, she states, "I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon."

Notice the difference? There is a replacement. So, just who is that strange woman, besides being a lady of the evening?

She is false doctrine. This speaks pointedly to a present day dilemma. So much error today is cloaked with the fragrance of truth, but in reality, cinnamon has replaced cassia.

We must be vigilant, especially now that so much of the truth is being laid aside for the sake of peace among the brethren. Truths have become rewritten and watered down by the use of good sounding phrases and promises.

What has evolved is a widespread belief that the only path to peaceful relationships among believers with varying doctrinal emphases is to believe that no truth deserves approval by everyone.

In other words, one can’t make a claim that the truth that he/she holds deserves belief by everybody. And, so to maintain unity, if that is indeed the goal, we must abandon agreement.

In many cases emotion has replaced the deep search for truths, because, after all, an insistence on a truth is seen as arrogance, not love, and must be set aside for experience.

Absolutely. I attribute much of it to mental laziness. It can be hard work rightly dividing the word of God, but the price for not doing so could actually cost us our soul in some cases. Maybe this is why believers were commanded to search for the truth like fine rubies, and why Christ compared the truths we know to treasures we bring forth to show others, as things we are proud to possess.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
you infer that you know some truth that deserves approval by everyone, can i ask what that is?
In other words, one can’t make a claim that the truth that he/she holds deserves belief by everybody.
i think you can make the claim all you like? But that will not necessarily make it truth, will it?
And, so to maintain unity, if that is indeed the goal, we must abandon agreement.
imo there is a like conundrum, or little joke, contained in
can two walk together, except they be agreed?
that i guess wont be coming out here, but imo you, your op, is on a good path here at least, maybe some one crying peace will hear otherwise today, yeh?

I am sorry that you will not be liking the lesson much though i guess, but we'll see after you've started saying what you know eh. Maybe your likes will volunteer some too?

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely. I attribute much of it to mental laziness. It can be hard work rightly dividing the word of God, but the price for not doing so could actually cost us our soul in some cases. Maybe this is why believers were commanded to search for the truth like fine rubies, and why Christ compared the truths we know to treasures we bring forth to show others, as things we are proud to possess.

Yes, Hidden, I do strongly believe academics has been so consistently criticized for being less important, because, as the unity brethren point out, knowledge puffs up but charity edifies. So, the importance then become community, the building of relationships, as opposed to taking on Christ's yoke and learning of Him. What has replaced the seeking of knowledge is emotionalism which is propelled by music, with stage shows, and, in some cases, with lights out in the audience.

"Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times," we are told, not emotional experiences.

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you infer that you know some truth that deserves approval by everyone, can i ask what that is?
i think you can make the claim all you like? But that will not necessarily make it truth, will it?
imo there is a like conundrum, or little joke, contained in
can two walk together, except they be agreed?
that i guess wont be coming out here, but imo you, your op, is on a good path here at least, maybe some one crying peace will hear otherwise today, yeh?

I am sorry that you will not be liking the lesson much though i guess, but we'll see after you've started saying what you know eh. Maybe your likes will volunteer some too?

The emergence of what we have learned to see in the world and dislike greatly has infiltrated the church. Relativism. It's easy to see relativism. In fact, it shouts out at us in the following Scripture, "Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." If one does not agree to the doctrines of Christ and seeks to cause division in the church, how are we told to deal with it? We are encouraged to separate ourselves, or divide from him. In other words, the best way to keep from division in the church is to divide ourselves from the dividers. How ironic. But, this choice to separate is not about minor conviction differences. Those who seek to divide, the dividers, are leaving the doctrine of the apostles, not fussing over the eating of meat or what Bible is the best. We are to watch out for those who cause division among us -- those, who, by leaving the doctrine they've been taught, who seek divisions -- and avoid them, or divide ourselves from them

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
and avoid them, or divide ourselves from them
How ironic?
Those who seek to divide, the dividers, are leaving the doctrine of the apostles,
Are you going to keep dancing around the bush bro, or do you want to state one and we can examine it?

Because long story short imo at least you are trying to reinvent Pax here ok, And I mean no offense but your Catholic views are not going to stand up to Scripture bro. But state one and let’s see, shall we

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
there is no one more deceived than he who says "my beliefs are the absolute truths" bro, sorry

The intent of having sound doctrine is to make us well prepared to give an answer for the reason of the hope that is in us, to be able to speak to this world, to the weak brethren who are not well established, and to build up the body. Our searching for truth, knowledge, and wisdom should be done as one who seeks for hid treasures. It demands concentrated dedication. Instead, what we have today is the parroting of favorite denominational doctrinal points rather than voices borne out of academic achievement.

And yes, there are absolute truths. But for me to announce them, when others disagree with me, causes division. So the question must be, am I more into unity than I am truth? Do I want to maintain unity and community at the cost of having to lay aside truths that someone disagrees with?

Truth does not easily combine with unity, because of offenses. And so, truths get watered down, rewritten, converted to positive thinking points, rather than challenging truths that can transform.

Reactions: Nancy

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How ironic?

Are you going to keep dancing around the bush bro, or do you want to state one and we can examine it?

Because long story short imo at least you are trying to reinvent Pax here ok, And I mean no offense but your Catholic views are not going to stand up to Scripture bro. But state one and let’s see, shall we

What might someone not agree with that another has to share? How about the baptism of the Holy Ghost? How about tithing? How about once saved always saved? How about staying pure by stopping fornication among couples who date? How about prophecy? How about dispensationalism? The use of music to create hype and emotion? The existence of movements within church history? The words to say as one is being water baptized? The threefold makeup of the believer and their distinctions? In Paul's day, the beliefs that caused division were the need for circumcision and the truth of resurrection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our sufficiency is of God; Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. - 2 Corinthians 3:5-6

If the letter kills... All study can be a bad thing. And I also don’t like to include the word emotion with spiritual. My beliefs are that it is a good thing to divide the service in two....

1. Worship
2. Word

Make thee two trumpets of silver; of a whole piece shalt thou make them: that thou mayest use them for the calling of the assembly, and for the journeying of the camps. - Numbers 10:2

Metaphors...

First Trumpet - The Spirit
Second Trumpet - The Word
Whole Piece - They never take two opposing views
The Assembly - Church service
Journeying - Direction and order of service

First Trumpet
- As in....
*** The song service
*** Worship
*** Praise
*** The Holy Spirit
*** Prayer Meetings
*** Spiritual fruit - The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. - Galatians 5:22-23
***Spiritual E/c2 - Spiritual Energy (warmth, love, motivation) / Spiritual Light (faith, hope, charity, joy)

Second Trumpet
- As in....
*** The Ministry of the Word
*** The Preacher or Evangelist
*** The Circuit Rider of Exhorter
*** Christ Jesus
*** Bible studies
*** Spiritual Knowledge - And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. - 2 Timothy 3:15

And we have had ministry teams such as...

John and Charles Wesley
DL Moody and Ira Sankey
Billy Sunday and Homer Rodeheaver
Billy Graham and George Beverly Shea

There would have been a lot of ministries that would have been more effective had they good worship to go along with the time in the word.

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our sufficiency is of God; Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. - 2 Corinthians 3:5-6

If the letter kills... All study can be a bad thing. And I also don’t like to include the word emotion with spiritual. My beliefs are that it is a good thing to divide the service in two....

How often we have heard these words regarding the letter of the law being deadly? They have been played over and over to the point that real academics are now considered unprofitable, not worth the effort. Are you familiar with Ravi Zacharias, the world renowned Christian apologists? He was asked in one of his question and answer sessions what he felt the condition of today's church is? His reply? (I listen to him often. He is one of my favorites).

"The problem with America today is not America, it is the church. We have become very shallow as Christians, very shallow. We have become masters at engineering feelings without much thought. There is really very little thinking that goes on in church. We repeat things, we have not thought our faith through, we do not listen to others and what their questions are, our answers are very shallow, and in trying to become seeker friendly, we have become message unfriendly.

"We have no real depth in what we are trying to teach and speak. Life has jagged edges and the church is giving simple and incomplete answers. Somehow we fell into the trap into believing that music and community are everything, and that teaching and ideas are not important.

"An expenditure of words without an income of ideas will lead to conceptual bankruptcy. We are so conceptually bankrupt on this. We cannot really explain these things, and until the church wakes up regarding what our message is, and thinks deeply about these things, we will sink deeper and deeper into parroting phrases that make very little difference in our lifestyles. This is a real problem."

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How often we have heard these words regarding the letter of the law being deadly? They have been played over and over to the point that real academics are now considered unprofitable, not worth the effort. Are you familiar with Ravi Zacharias, the world renowned Christian apologists? He was asked in one of his question and answer sessions what he felt the condition of today's church is? His reply? (I listen to him often. He is one of my favorites).

"The problem with America today is not America, it is the church. We have become very shallow as Christians, very shallow. We have become masters at engineering feelings without much thought. There is really very little thinking that goes on in church. We repeat things, we have not thought our faith through, we do not listen to others and what their questions are, our answers are very shallow, and in trying to become seeker friendly, we have become message unfriendly.

"We have no real depth in what we are trying to teach and speak. Life has jagged edges and the church is giving simple and incomplete answers. Somehow we fell into the trap into believing that music and community are everything, and that teaching and ideas are not important.

"An expenditure of words without an income of ideas will lead to conceptual bankruptcy. We are so conceptually bankrupt on this. We cannot really explain these things, and until the church wakes up regarding what our message is, and thinks deeply about these things, we will sink deeper and deeper into parroting phrases that make very little difference in our lifestyles. This is a real problem."

That last paragraph is the scary part. I don’t see it getting any better either. I see it devolving into lower and lower standards of Christian behavior because the word is taught less and less, and understood less and less.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP.
Amos 3:3 "Can two walk together, except they be agreed?".
1 Corinthians 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment".

one should take notice, "same judgment".

Isaiah 28:7 "But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment.

Isaiah 28:8 "For all tables are full of vomit and filthiness, so that there is no place clean.

Isaiah 28:9 "Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.

Isaiah 28:10 "For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

Isaiah 28:11 "For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.

Isaiah 28:12 "To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

Isaiah 28:13 "But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

yes, men Emotion, the flesh, and not the Spirit leading or driving men in the correct way. it boils down to surrender, obey God or man.

PICJAG.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

1. Worship
2. Word

Make thee two trumpets of silver; of a whole piece shalt thou make them: that thou mayest use them for the calling of the assembly, and for the journeying of the camps. - Numbers 10:2

Metaphors...

First Trumpet - The Spirit
Second Trumpet - The Word
Whole Piece - They never take two opposing views
The Assembly - Church service
Journeying - Direction and order of service

First Trumpet
- As in....
*** The song service
*** Worship
*** Praise
*** The Holy Spirit
*** Prayer Meetings
*** Spiritual fruit - The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. - Galatians 5:22-23
***Spiritual E/c2 - Spiritual Energy (warmth, love, motivation) / Spiritual Light (faith, hope, charity, joy)

Second Trumpet
- As in....
*** The Ministry of the Word
*** The Preacher or Evangelist
*** The Circuit Rider of Exhorter
*** Christ Jesus
*** Bible studies
*** Spiritual Knowledge - And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. - 2 Timothy 3:15

And we have had ministry teams such as...

John and Charles Wesley
DL Moody and Ira Sankey
Billy Sunday and Homer Rodeheaver
Billy Graham and George Beverly Shea

There would have been a lot of ministries that would have been more effective had they good worship to go along with the time in the word.
2 Corinthians has so many often quoted verses!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In many cases emotion has replaced the deep search for truths, because, after all, an insistence on a truth is seen as arrogance, not love, and must be set aside for community.
While I do agree with much of your OP, the title gave me a different impression. Too much study without the Holy Spirit is as bad as too much emotion without the Holy Spirit, which is as bad as knowledge without charity/love!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But, on the other hand, some people lean too much on their study of the written scriptures without the balancing Life giving Holy Spirit. The best of Bible students is still dead in the eyes of God without the quickening of what he has consumed with his mind by the Holy Spirit!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Still in spite of some of the good things you say you neglect the importance of God in the solution. If we have everything else, but God is missing, our final result is ultimately worthless.

"I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:
And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.
Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent." Rev 2:2-5

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
And yes, there are absolute truths. But for me to announce them, when others disagree with me, causes division.
wadr contemplate that the division is caused by your belief and not the truths, which i already know will not be forthcoming, except possibly by private interpretations. No, there are not absolute truths, as you are currently demonstrating In Living Color, and whats more you are now being disingenuous at best, having brought up the subject yourself, yes? And now saying that to actually state one would cause division?
rather than challenging truths that can transform.
that you decline to example here
ok

so, my challenging truth that might xform, for you, is that there are no absolute truths, and you could not demonstrate any diff if your life depended on it, which is why you havent yet and will not, wadr.

I dont mean to be rude here but this is the essence of what is it? ok, and also he who says he knows
What might someone not agree with that another has to share? How about the baptism of the Holy Ghost? How about tithing? How about once saved always saved? How about staying pure by stopping fornication among couples who date? How about prophecy? How about dispensationalism? The use of music to create hype and emotion? The existence of movements within church history? The words to say as one is being water baptized? The threefold makeup of the believer and their distinctions? In Paul's day, the beliefs that caused division were the need for circumcision and the truth of resurrection.
so now you go from none to a shitstorm, right, thinking that you are making a point? There is no division in the Church, ok, the division is all in your reptile brain bro, and your political congregations.

Now would you like to choose one of those beliefs of yours that trust me no one else who matters cares about even a little bit, esp not Yah, and attempt to elevate it to an Absolute Truth, or not? Bc imo there is surely nothing wrong with your holding any of those beliefs, bro, but you have lost your mind if you think i need or am required in any way to hold the same ones that you do.

How would that make you any diff from a Caesar, a Pope, or a Hitler, do you think?

ps, where are your witnesses now, they got awful quiet, huh? Look, if yall wanna be Catholics and think evabody gotta believe ezackly the same and march in lock-step and all, then go be Catholics and kiss that ring with my blessings, ok? I love Catholics; hypocrites, not so much
His reply?
his reply conflates Christians with the Church, when the two are not even cousins i guess, which is why all Christian whores call their mortgaged buildings that they gather for their love feasts "church," the same way the Gov calls US a "nation." Bc his head is currently exploring his colon, ok bro?

And sorry, i guess this is kinda harsh, but you are way out of line imo, another undercover Catholic here to push papist crap off as Christianity, assurring us of all they know. Happy new year btw

Last edited: