Empathy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Empathy is feeling the pain of your neighbor. Jesus had empathy for us in His ministry and even on the cross. Do you have empathy? Is empathy important to you? Is it important for us to develop empathy in ourselves and our children?

A hallmark of Narcissism is a lack of empathy........recently, Narcissism was removed from the DSM (the diagnostic manual, used to diagnosis mental illness and personality disorders) because it has become so prevalent in Western culture that it is not longer considered abnormal. So, it is now considered to be normal......

In my opinion, narcissists lead a diminished existence.....one that reduces emotions to fear and lust. It is antichrist. Without empathy, it is impossible to love. As Christians, we are called to love. So, since we have reached a crisis state of Narcissism.....are we losing our salt? Is Christianity failing?

Discussing love and scripture with someone who lacks empathy is a colossal waste of time......all you can do is pray for the individual......so let me know - i do not want to waste your time or mine

B

brakelite

Does crying every time an emotional scene present itself on TV or in a movie constitute empathy, or at least a sign of possessing that virtue?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does crying every time an emotional scene present itself on TV or in a movie constitute empathy, or at least a sign of possessing that virtue?

Empathy is the ability to feel anothers pain. I guess you could waste it on tv, but it would only benefit you.

Reactions: Nancy
B

brakelite

Point taken. But would people who do get emotional (and likely easily manipulated by media) be more likely to possess real empathy when in the real world?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Point taken. But would people who do get emotional (and likely easily manipulated by media) be more likely to possess real empathy when in the real world?

I think you are presuming that emotions are easily manipulated and reason is somehow immune.....seems to me that both are subjects of the Fall and therefore cursed?

Empathy is not snowflakery......it is not glib. It is a real response - a true experience of anothers pain.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unless you are a citizen of Sparta......psychopathy is not necessary for survival

B

brakelite

I think you are presuming that emotions are easily manipulated and reason is somehow immune.
With some people certainly. I remember Mark Dice suggesting to interviewees that the word 'gullible' was going to be removed from vocabularies.

seems to me that both are subjects of the Fall and therefore cursed?
Affected by all means, but that doesn't make emotion something to be spurned. Joy and happiness, sadness and sorrow, ought to be encouraged, not quenched, in appropriate circumstances. That there is PTSD, rage, jealousy, and other more extreme emotional responses and/or mental disorders is a curse indeed.

Empathy is not snowflakery......it is not glib. It is a real response - a true experience of anothers pain
I get that. Like sitting quietly with a mother/father who just lost their only child and not necessarily saying a word...if they are lost for words, we should be even more so. But empathy doesn't just mean experiencing pain? It also embraces others joys and victories?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With some people certainly. I remember Mark Dice suggesting to interviewees that the word 'gullible' was going to be removed from vocabularies.

Affected by all means, but that doesn't make emotion something to be spurned. Joy and happiness, sadness and sorrow, ought to be encouraged, not quenched, in appropriate circumstances. That there is PTSD, rage, jealousy, and other more extreme emotional responses and/or mental disorders is a curse indeed.

I get that. Like sitting quietly with a mother/father who just lost their only child and not necessarily saying a word...if they are lost for words, we should be even more so. But empathy doesn't just mean experiencing pain? It also embraces others joys and victories?

Joy? definitely! Victory is not an emotion.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
gullible suggests be willfully naive.....

The MMPI tests for naivety - it is a red flag for covert narcissism

B

brakelite

Joy? definitely! Victory is not an emotion.
Perhaps not, but these days after scoring a goal or a home run, a finger pointed skyward and a few cartwheels and back-flips is emotionalism run rampant and something I cringe from...depending on who scored of course. ;)

Reactions: Helen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps not, but these days after scoring a goal or a home run, a finger pointed skyward and a few cartwheels and back-flips is emotionalism run rampant and something I cringe from...depending on who scored of course. ;)

Ha.

Reason will betray you, as well. Protestants have retreated to their minds - retreating from emotion, as if it will save them.....

Emotionalism is not empathy. In fact, it is difficult to express empathy rationally or emotionally.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Victory is not an emotion.

Hmmmm but it sure does cause an emotional reaction....lol

Is euphoria not an emotion? The lifting of the soul?
Some seem unable to identify with others , and some may identify a bit too much.
Those who seem to posses no empathy at all have an empty hole somewhere....if empathy does not fill its rightful place in us....our Enemy probably fills it with something else! o_O

Reactions: Nancy

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, i am at a crossroads. Yes, a crossroads.

I have followed Christianity to its limits, which is Roman Catholicism. Yeah, trust me. Been there and done that. And, if love of God and neighbor is not the point, backbone, scaffold for the meaning of life, i am out. Yep

If this whole BS performance does not promote love of neighbor and enemy fails to catch on, i am out. I am calling this whole Christianity on the carpet.

If this BS labal is simply another form of tribalism and ‘do it my way’ bs, i am OUT.

I want a revelution of loving neighbor, now

Reactions: FHII

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmmm but it sure does cause an emotional reaction....lol

Is euphoria not an emotion? The lifting of the soul?
Some seem unable to identify with others , and some may identify a bit too much.
Those who seem to posses no empathy at all have an empty hole somewhere....if empathy does not fill its rightful place in us....our Enemy probably fills it with something else! o_O

Yes....euphora is a release of dopamine....short lasting and powerful. We are all guilty and we are all need of mercy.......if we cling to our reason and emotion we are clinging to our false self.........We need to let that go or Christ will ‘i do not know you’

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ref post #13 @aspen

But, bottom line...
Have we every really believed that this whole thing is about anything else but love...?
It is the foundation of the Good News...the firm foundation which Jesus left us.
Everything else is nothing but breadcrumbs and rabbit holes.

Reactions: kit and aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But, bottom line...
Have we every really believed that this whole thing is about anything else but love...?
It is the foundation of the Good News...the firm foundation which Jesus left us.
Everything else is nothing but breadcrumbs and rabbit holes.

Many vocal people on this board talk regularly about how love is weakness. They are antichrist. He who died on the cross for love disagrees

B

brakelite

So, i am at a crossroads. Yes, a crossroads.

I have followed Christianity to its limits, which is Roman Catholicism. Yeah, trust me. Been there and done that. And, if love of God and neighbor is not the point, backbone, scaffold for the meaning of life, i am out. Yep

If this whole BS performance does not promote love of neighbor and enemy fails to catch on, i am out. I am calling this whole Christianity on the carpet.

If this BS labal is simply another form of tribalism and ‘do it my way’ bs, i am OUT.

I want a revelution of loving neighbor, now
Christianity isn't about Catholicism or Protestantism or following a religion or regime of self discipline and self determination. It has and always will be about God accomplishing in us what we cannot do for ourselves. About a real living personality, the Son of God, abiding in us through His Spirit doing for us what we cannot possibly do in and of ourselves. If we don't have faith? Ask. If we don't have love? Ask. If we don't have HIM? Ask. Only with Christ in us the hope of glory, can we love as He loved. It is proportionally equivalent to the extent of our surrender to His infilling through His Spirit that we can share that with others. I read John 4 earlier. The woman at the well. That living water flows out of us in proportion to how much of Christ we allow in to our lives.
If you don't see that in your fellow Christians, don't allow that to deter you from gaining the experience for yourself. Use it as motivation for even a more decided focus on Christ and Him crucified.

Pisteuo

Jul 31, 2017
Ozarks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you can't SEE love......BE love. If you really do love others, it won't matter what they are doing. You will obviously see the worst of the worst as almost everything in this world will contrast your love. The more you love, the more contrast is cast upon you. I don't believe a person who has never loved has ever been truly tried. We want to make LOVE easy. While this is the greatest battle some of us will ever have. So we should expect that many around us will not get the revelation. Thus, we are often left loving and hurting.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
you seem to be touching on the issue of Codependency here imo, a popular counterfeit for empathy