Escape from the city of Lost

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The clay and gravel mountain trail was long and winding. Woods on either side shaded it partly, then from place to place it entered grassy rolling hills, rising and falling across the ridges. Those that lived in that wilderness often called it the path of life. They said that for many it would take them from the city called Lost to a land called Found. Though they'd heard of it they'd never journeyed there themselves.

It was rumored that there was a guide that might be found along the way to instruct wayfarers from the city of Lost. Those that were so bold as to journey into the unknown to find what it was that lay before them on the one and only path that led to the city of Found.

There were many broad roads coming into the city of Lost but only the one narrow path that led away to another place. Most setting out on that path never returned to tell what was out there. Many said it led to a mysterious city whose name was Found. Citizens of Lost mocked and laughed saying "what could be better than our city of Lost? The city of Found is nothing but a myth, a fable. A legend and a wives tale. It's king was nonexistent".

There was an old man who walked slowly along that path far out from his home city of Lost carrying a deep and very heavy basket. He was partially stooped over under the great weight of it. His steps were small because of the load. He had walked many many hours on the path but had no idea how far it might be to the fabled city of Found. He'd met no one except for a few that had given up searching and turned back in discouragement toward Lost. No one could tell him anything, so blindly he stumbled on.

Up ahead of him alongside the right side of the trail he saw another man, younger, sitting with arms folded on the trunk of a large fallen tree. This stranger had fixed his eyes and attention on the old man as he slowly ambled closer. He'd been watching intently ever since the old man had appeared over the far rise.

Taking an opportunity for a short needed rest, the old fellow stopped next to the stranger but said nothing. He stood breathing deeply, feeling the weariness of his journey and the dryness in his throat and mouth. His feet hurt and his body ached.

The younger man asked "Would you like a drink of water"? Then he walked over and offered the traveler an earthen jug. The old man took the jug thanking him then drank deeply. After a pause he drank again.

Though he'd stopped walking the basket with it's seemingly great weight was not put down. He uttered a low groan from the stress of the load.

"why not set down your burden and take rest"? The stranger asked.

"oh I can't do that. It's my load and I must bear it. I've tried to put it down before but I can't seem to take it off. No matter what I do I still feel the weight. I've heard about a city called Found and thought I might try to go there and be relieved of my burdens. No one in my city of Lost knows how to find it though and I think I may turn back. A foolish and wasted effort I'm beginning to think.

"set your weight down for a minute, I want to see what you're carrying that's so heavy. What is it that can't be set down"?

Taking offense, the old man said "what I have inside there is my business and no one else's, certainly not a stranger's. Not yours".

"no matter" the stranger said "I know what's in your basket and I'm not a stranger. I know you very well though you don't know me at all."

Looking at the stranger the old man pulled the straps from his shoulders with a groan, setting the basket on the ground. He'd carried it so long that he still remained stooped. It was as if he still bore it's weight. As if he'd never set it down at all.

Fixing his eyes on the younger man as he handed back the water jug he said "I don't know you, I've never seen you before".

He wondered at the stranger's age. From a distance he'd thought him to be young but as he looked on his face and into his eyes he realized that there was more there than the eyes of a young inexperienced man. A deepness that was palpable. Something indefinable. He wondered aloud "Who are you sir"?

"who am I? I am Jesus whom you seek".

"But I seek God". The old traveler said.

"he that has seen me has seen the Father. I and my Father are one" Jesus replied.

The old man was quiet. After a long silence he asked softly "why did God burden me with these heavy things? I've been carrying many of them since I was a young man. So many other hard things have come to burden me and I can't understand why God did them to me. I've tried to talk to God a few times but never heard anything. Nothing ever changed. Surely he doesn't know I even exist. The citizens of Lost know nothing of God and I thought if I could journey to Found that those there might tell me more about him. I went to many religious leaders but they just gave me useless rituals to perform. I felt worse after I talked to them. They seemed as burdened as me".

Jesus replied, "Every man has his burdens and tribulations. As I've said they're part of this present world. But many of the ones you carry are of your own making. You blame God for your own sin. You blame others for your failings. You are untruthful with yourself and with God. You either moan as a dove or roar as a bear but find no peace".

"look at this one" Jesus said, taking a black, heavy gnarled and ugly rootlike object from the man's basket. "this is hate and a root of bitterness, the hate and resentment towards others that you've never forgiven. You mark every offense against you and forget your multiple offenses against them. Your hypocrisy is witness against you. You are angry at their cursing of you but forget that you've often cursed them".

Reaching once more into the accumulation of sins and burdens, Jesus pulled out a large, shiny gold appearing object that was like a large trophy.

Holding it up he said "this is your pride. See how it shines! The brighter it shines the tighter it binds. You boast about many things and are easily offended when others do not praise you. When they exceed your ability you make light of them, unwilling to give any praise at all to others. It is one of the ugliest things that posesses you. You wear it as if it were a cloak of royalty when truthfully it is to your shame and clothes you with nakedness".

One by one Jesus took many heavy, dark, ugly sins and severe faults from the strange basket and glancing at them as he cast them to the ground.

Continued below...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The clay and gravel mountain trail was long and winding. Woods on either side shaded it partly, then from place to place it entered grassy rolling hills, rising and falling across the ridges. Those that lived in that wilderness often called it the path of life. They said that for many it would take them from the city called Lost to a land called Found. Though they'd heard of it they'd never journeyed there themselves.

It was rumored that there was a guide that might be found along the way to instruct wayfarers from the city of Lost. Those that were so bold as to journey into the unknown to find what it was that lay before them on the one and only path that led to the city of Found.

There were many broad roads coming into the city of Lost but only the one narrow path that led away to another place. Most setting out on that path never returned to tell what was out there. Many said it led to a mysterious city whose name was Found. Citizens of Lost mocked and laughed saying "what could be better than our city of Lost? The city of Found is nothing but a myth, a fable. A legend and a wives tale. It's king was nonexistent".

There was an old man who walked slowly along that path far out from his home city of Lost carrying a deep and very heavy basket. He was partially stooped over under the great weight of it. His steps were small because of the load. He had walked many many hours on the path but had no idea how far it might be to the fabled city of Found. He'd met no one except for a few that had given up searching and turned back in discouragement toward Lost. No one could tell him anything, so blindly he stumbled on.

Up ahead of him alongside the right side of the trail he saw another man, younger, sitting with arms folded on the trunk of a large fallen tree. This stranger had fixed his eyes and attention on the old man as he slowly ambled closer. He'd been watching intently ever since the old man had appeared over the far rise.

Taking an opportunity for a short needed rest, the old fellow stopped next to the stranger but said nothing. He stood breathing deeply, feeling the weariness of his journey and the dryness in his throat and mouth. His feet hurt and his body ached.

The younger man asked "Would you like a drink of water"? Then he walked over and offered the traveler an earthen jug. The old man took the jug thanking him then drank deeply. After a pause he drank again.

Though he'd stopped walking the basket with it's seemingly great weight was not put down. He uttered a low groan from the stress of the load.

"why not set down your burden and take rest"? The stranger asked.

"oh I can't do that. It's my load and I must bear it. I've tried to put it down before but I can't seem to take it off. No matter what I do I still feel the weight. I've heard about a city called Found and thought I might try to go there and be relieved of my burdens. No one in my city of Lost knows how to find it though and I think I may turn back. A foolish and wasted effort I'm beginning to think.

"set your weight down for a minute, I want to see what you're carrying that's so heavy. What is it that can't be set down"?

Taking offense, the old man said "what I have inside there is my business and no one else's, certainly not a stranger's. Not yours".

"no matter" the stranger said "I know what's in your basket and I'm not a stranger. I know you very well though you don't know me at all."

Looking at the stranger the old man pulled the straps from his shoulders with a groan, setting the basket on the ground. He'd carried it so long that he still remained stooped. It was as if he still bore it's weight. As if he'd never set it down at all.

Fixing his eyes on the younger man as he handed back the water jug he said "I don't know you, I've never seen you before".

He wondered at the stranger's age. From a distance he'd thought him to be young but as he looked on his face and into his eyes he realized that there was more there than the eyes of a young inexperienced man. A deepness that was palpable. Something indefinable. He wondered aloud "Who are you sir"?

"who am I? I am Jesus whom you seek".

"But I seek God". The old traveler said.

"he that has seen me has seen the Father. I and my Father are one" Jesus replied.

The old man was quiet. After a long silence he asked softly "why did God burden me with these heavy things? I've been carrying many of them since I was a young man. So many other hard things have come to burden me and I can't understand why God did them to me. I've tried to talk to God a few times but never heard anything. Nothing ever changed. Surely he doesn't know I even exist. The citizens of Lost know nothing of God and I thought if I could journey to Found that those there might tell me more about him. I went to many religious leaders but they just gave me useless rituals to perform. I felt worse after I talked to them. They seemed as burdened as me".

Jesus replied, "Every man has his burdens and tribulations. As I've said they're part of this present world. But many of the ones you carry are of your own making. You blame God for your own sin. You blame others for your failings. You are untruthful with yourself and with God. You either moan as a dove or roar as a bear but find no peace".

"look at this one" Jesus said, taking a black, heavy gnarled and ugly rootlike object from the man's basket. "this is hate and a root of bitterness, the hate and resentment towards others that you've never forgiven. You mark every offense against you and forget your multiple offenses against them. Your hypocrisy is witness against you. You are angry at their cursing of you but forget that you've often cursed them".

Reaching once more into the accumulation of sins and burdens, Jesus pulled out a large, shiny gold appearing object that was like a large trophy.

Holding it up he said "this is your pride. See how it shines! The brighter it shines the tighter it binds. You boast about many things and are easily offended when others do not praise you. When they exceed your ability you make light of them, unwilling to give any praise at all to others. It is one of the ugliest things that posesses you. You wear it as if it were a cloak of royalty when truthfully it is to your shame and clothes you with nakedness".

One by one Jesus took many heavy, dark, ugly sins and severe faults from the strange basket and glancing at them as he cast them to the ground.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Continued from above...

The old man sat down on the ground with his head bowed. Though he was silent tears flowed down his face wetting his white beard as he wept without a noise. The detailed remembrance of his sins seemed as if they would break his heart. Such weariness and hopelessness he'd never felt. The thoughts of how he had wounded others and not given it any notice or cared at all. Not until now. Conviction was a condition he'd never experienced and the weight of it seemed greater than the many sins he carried daily.

"Oh God" he groaned, "it's too late for me". Placing his hands over his face. "Too much time has gone by and too much is wrong with me. I'm too tired to go on".

Jesus spoke kindly to him "with God it's never too late to believe. Nothing is impossible with God. For the first time in your life believe in me and give me all of your sins. I have sacrificed myself for them. My blood was poured out to cover them. You don't have to carry these any longer unless you want to hold onto your past life. I will not force you. My burden is very easy. The decision is yours alone".

The old man reached out and grasped the sandaled feet of the savior crying out "oh Lord have mercy on me! Forgive me of my sins! Hate, unforgivness, lust, deceit, bitterness. Everything I've done against you and others. Please forgive me. I feel as if I'm the worst man in the world"!

Jesus placed his right hand on the man's head and said "rise up. Son, your sins, which were many, are forgiven. I've cast them behind me and I will never mention them again. They are as cast into the sea. There is an accuser of the brethren though, Satan. He is ever your enemy. He will immediately come and tell you in your spirit that everything I've said to you is a lie. That you are not forgiven. That God never spoke to you at all. He will remind you of every sin that I've forgiven. He will try to deceive you in every way".

"You must prepare yourself against him by reading my words and through prayer. You will need the strength and wisdom of the Holy Spirit to guide you and be your friend. He will never misdirect you for he is the spirit of truth".

"Son, receive the Holy Spirit". Jesus waved his hand and the trees began to bend and the grass and bushes began to sway as a strong wind swept down the wooded path, swirling upwards through the trees as it came, taking a whorl of leaves with it. The chill of the evening air was changed to a pleasant surge of warmth.

The old man felt a burst of joy and raised his arms in praise to God and as he opened his mouth he began to speak to God in a language he didn't know. It flowed out like a stream of water as he worshipped before the Lord. Then he asked ;

"Lord, how far must I travel to get to Found"? He questioned the savior.

"you have truly reached Found" Jesus answered. "though the distance between Lost and Found is very great it can be traveled quickly by seeking me as your guide. I'm the only that can take you from one to the other. Others are false guides that will lead you to false cities of Found".

"you have been forgiven and have received of my Holy Spirit. Now as you journey on, find believing brethren to baptize you in water to signify the death of the old man and the birth of your new creation in me. Behold, I've made you into a new man. Old things have passed away and all things are made new".

"I have been born into your spirit as a new babe born into a manger. Behold I am born among the beasts. Those things of your flesh must be defeated little by little. You may not defeat them all at once lest the beasts of the field increase against you. Abide in me and in my words and over time you will rid the land of your spirit of all the remnants resisting God. Be led by my Holy Spirit and you shall indeed show yourself a son of the living God".

It was quiet now. The whirling wind had subsided to a gentle breeze and all was quiet save for the bird songs. The old man's empty basket lay on the ground. It was empty and it's contents had vanished. Not one of them remained.

He looked around and saw that Jesus had vanished too. In his spirit a small, still voice then spoke. "son, your sins are forgiven. Walk in newness of life. I will never leave you or turn my back on you. Only follow me and hide yourself in me and in my word and I will keep you. Though you see me not with your eyes I am in you and with you".

"you will have much tribulation in this life but do not fear. Nothing can separate you from my love. Nothing. Turn your heavy burdens over to me. Go and sin no more".

"do not allow men to tell you that the simplicity with which you received me is because you are deceived and ignorant of their lawful traditions. Their doctrines. Their denominations. Their supposedly advanced knowlege of the scriptures, which they wrest to support their private interpretations. They will tell you that many works of the law are required besides my sacrifice for you. Just a few things are required. You are to follow me for my grace is sufficient for you. It is my blood, my grace that has redeemed you from the multitude that dwell in Lost".

The Old man sat back down. He felt numb. The relief from being set free from the heavy weight of sin he had carried was indescribable. He hadn't even known his burden was sin. A release inside had removed the stress he'd suffered for most of his life. His inner parts felt as if released from a tight, binding waistband.

After awhile he rose up and began to walk. The basket lay where it fell. His steps now were longer and with strength. After a short way he turned and looked back to where he'd left his burdens. There, next to the path, he saw a large cross that he'd not noticed before and close by it once more he saw Jesus standing. He was talking with another wayfarer. A man with a load of burdens even larger than the one he'd carried. Another seeking escape from the city of Lost.

Far beyond on the path he could see a few travelers coming from Lost with their burdens. One, heading back toward Lost, had passed by Jesus and ignored his offer of living water and forgiveness of sin. He turned back and continued on in life groaning under his burdens. Yet some would dare to turn and come to seek again, but not all.

Every time he looked back to his meeting place with Jesus he could see the cross. No matter how far he walked the cross was always in sight. Strange he thought. Before he met Jesus he never saw the cross at all. The cross could not be seen even from the highest point in the bustling city of Lost. That city where he'd dwelt for years, that could no longer be seen. He wanted to forget he'd ever dwelt there. He went his way rejoicing and soon found brothers that had once too dwelt in Lost to baptize him as a new citizen of Found. They rejoiced together that they had received grace to travel from Lost to Found.

Luke 19:10 KJVS
For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

Hebrews 11:10 KJVS
For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

For thus says the Lord God , "Behold, I Myself will search for My sheep and seek them out. As a shepherd cares for his herd in the day when he is among his scattered sheep, so I will care for My sheep and will deliver them from all the places to which they were scattered on a cloudy and gloomy day.
Ezekiel 34:11‭-‬12 NASB

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truthfully I never thought of that! I saw an old man carrying a heavy load in my spirit and went from there.

There are journeys from several cities that can be taken. Journey from the city of Baptiso, journey from the city of Scribes, journey from the city of Pharisees... Etc.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Truthfully I never thought of that! I saw an old man carrying a heavy load in my spirit and went from there.

There are journeys from several cities that can be taken. Journey from the city of Baptiso, journey from the city of Scribes, journey from the city of Pharisees... Etc.
The City of Baptiso sounds interesting... (I don't believe in baptismal regeneration, btw...)

Reactions: Helen

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My belief on baptism is ensconced in the text. I was born again way before I was water baptized. About three months I think. I avoid ALL fights about water. Water baptism, bottled water, agricultural use of water etc.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

Very beautiful F,,,it's apparent you're a writer from many of the comments you make. Very intelligent too, if I may add.

As to water,,,,what about amniotic fluid???
What is Jesus talking about in John 3?
Baptismal water, or amniotic fluid?
Don't want to derail....PM?

Reactions: Frank Lee

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No need for PM. What I believe is fixed!
I've always believed that he was speaking of water from the natural birth process. Many commentaries including Swaggart's, agree..

Certainly man is never born of any other water...without being truly born again first water baptism is just a good or bad bath. I believe many are deceived somehow into thinking water baptism is somehow connected to the rebirth. Not so.

After being born as a new creation in Christ in October 1977, I was baptized in February 1978. It was a wonderful thing following through with what Jesus asked but I was already a new man. When I arrived home that day my wife said I was just shining. The Lord is very pleased when we obey and his anointing answers our obedience. Amen and amen

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
No need for PM. What I believe is fixed!
I've always believed that he was speaking of water from the natural birth process. Many commentaries including Swaggart's, agree..

Certainly man is never born of any other water...without being truly born again first water baptism is just a good or bad bath. I believe many are deceived somehow into thinking water baptism is somehow connected to the rebirth. Not so.

After being born as a new creation in Christ in October 1977, I was baptized in February 1978. It was a wonderful thing following through with what Jesus asked but I was already a new man. When I arrived home that day my wife said I was just shining. The Lord is very pleased when we obey and his anointing answers our obedience. Amen and amen
I agree. This is why Nicodemus asked Jesus how it could be possible that a man could go back into the womb.

And it refers to the TWO births:
The natural, physical one (with water involved)
And the spiritual one...from above.

I also don't understand how these verses could be referring to baptism, but many believe it. I don't like to argue it since it has nothing to do with salvation. One could believe what he wishes....makes no difference.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's not enough edification. I was surprised to find how many don't want edification. Their only satisfaction is in convincing others or trying to, that they are right on some point or other. They never encourage or build up. Unless they generate strife and mendacity they get no satisfaction. Just adversaries to the right producing no good fruit at all.

Let everything be done to edification saith the word so let's encourage one another while we can. If I want nothing but bad news then I'll turn on the broadcast news.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I agree. This is why Nicodemus asked Jesus how it could be possible that a man could go back into the womb.

And it refers to the TWO births:
The natural, physical one (with water involved)
And the spiritual one...from above.

I also don't understand how these verses could be referring to baptism, but many believe it. I don't like to argue it since it has nothing to do with salvation. One could believe what he wishes....makes no difference.
Unless a man is born of water and the spirit a man cannot see the Kingdom of Heaven.... Water being cleansing of the man ie, sanctification, a disposition to rid oneself of sin....Spirit being, responding to his calling.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
There's not enough edification. I was surprised to find how many don't want edification. Their only satisfaction is in convincing others or trying to, that they are right on some point or other. They never encourage or build up. Unless they generate strife and mendacity they get no satisfaction. Just adversaries to the right producing no good fruit at all.

Let everything be done to edification saith the word so let's encourage one another while we can. If I want nothing but bad news then I'll turn on the broadcast news.
In all honesty, I do have to say that if something has to do with the process of salvation, then I will pursue the matter somewhat .. not indefinitely even then, as some do.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Unless a man is born of water and the spirit a man cannot see the Kingdom of Heaven.... Water being cleansing of the man ie, sanctification, a disposition to rid oneself of sin....Spirit being, responding to his calling.
So, you're proposing a THIRD meaning to the word "water"?
I think two are sufficient !