Eternity minded

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does it mean to be eternity-minded as opposed to earthly-minded? How does on practice eternal-mindedness today?

In light of Romans 12:2

Romans 12:2 - And do not be conformed... - Verse-by-Verse Commentary
It means making plans and setting the course of your life in accordance with the fact that this life is waning and will come to an end for you. It means resisting the temptation to invest in this life and instead invest in the life to come.

Colossians 3:1-2
set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.

1 John 2:16-17
16For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. 17The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.

Matthew 6:20-21
20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

For me this means living a simple life, not having a house that's too big, or a car that's too nice, etc. And living for God according to the fruit of the Spirit. That has precedence far and above everything else. Only invest enough in this life to get through this life all the while looking forward to the day you die and you leave this vain and frustrating existence behind. This gets easier to do the more you see your body dying and you can see the end of things for you.

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
there is no such term in the bible as "eternity-minded".
So what's your point? Those of us who are waiting for eternal life in heaven should not have our minds focused on it?

2 Peter 3:11-13
11 ...You ought to live holy and godly lives 12as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming.
13 ...we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.

Last edited:
Reactions: MattMooradian

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does it mean to be eternity-minded as opposed to earthly-minded? How does on practice eternal-mindedness today?

Blessings

Get baptized in Christ Jesus for the remission of your sins and to receive the promise of The Holy Spirit if you haven't yet, then study all of God's written Word, asking His help in the name of Jesus Christ. Then you will know. It's by His Promise that you will understand by The Holy Spirit.

There are three earth ages written of in God's Word (2 Peter 3).
1. "the world that then was" = not the flood of Noah's day, but before, when God ended Satan's rebellion of old, prior to Adam and Eve. This is the actual meaning of the waters covering the whole earth at Genesis 1:2-9. That is the flood Peter was talking about with the earth standing out of the water and in the water.
2. "the heavens and the earth, which are now" = this present earth age from Genesis 1:2 to present day. God brought this present second earth age after Satan's rebellion in the first one. God placed this present earth age in a state of vanity, in bondage to corruption, as it like our souls seeks a release from the corruption of this present world (Romans 8; Jeremiah 4:23-28). This present earth age is reserved for destruction, by fire this next time, burning man's works off the surface of the earth, and God shaking it with a trembling like He did in the first one (Hebrews 12; Jeremiah 4:23-28).
3. "new heavens and a new earth" = God's eternal future after Christ's future thousand years reign on earth. This is after death, hell, and the wicked are destroyed and Satan is no more. This is when the full Godhead will return back to this earth to live with us. Another name for the new Jerusalem on earth then will be, 'God is there' (Ezekiel 48). There will be no more sea, pointing to today's violent weather system being repaired back to God's original perfect creation at Genesis 1:1 (Revelation 21).

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not a difficult concept to grasp that looking towards heaven is what we are exhorted, by scripture, to do.

Yet the heavenly dimension is going to be revealed to all, right here on earth.

This is what many brethren in Christ refuse to understand, instead trying to apply the things of their fleshy mind to spiritual things in God's creation.

When God's Word reveals the body of the world to come will be a "spiritual body" (per Paul in 1 Cor.15, and in Isaiah 25 with death swallowed up in victory), but still with an existing earth with Christ as King and Lord worshiped from Jerusalem on earth (per Zechariah 14), then how can anyone miss that is NOT about living up in the clouds in some la la land?

The la la land in the clouds concept is an invention by men, because they don't stay in God's written Word enough to understand the Power of God.

In Genesis 2, we were shown about God's River that was once upon this earth, flowing out of His Garden of Eden. That River we are told flowed out of His Garden to feed four other rivers upon this earth, two of which still exist today in the country of Iraq (the Euphrates and the Tigris, called Hiddekel in Gen.2). The Ezekiel 47 prophecy reveals that River manifested back... on this earth in the future when God will gather all Israel and establish them as a nation of old under the lands originally promised their fathers. Along with that River flowing out of the Millennial temple ON EARTH is shown the many trees on either side of that River, which is the Tree of Life.

Thus there is Bible evidence, with detail, about God's future Kingdom that is to be established RIGHT HERE ON EARTH, and not up in some la la cloud existence floating upon nothingness which is the imagination of foolish hearts who know not God's Word.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The la la land in the clouds concept is an invention by men, because they don't stay in God's written Word enough to understand the Power of God....

Thus there is Bible evidence, with detail, about God's future Kingdom that is to be established RIGHT HERE ON EARTH, and not up in some la la cloud existence floating upon nothingness which is the imagination of foolish hearts who know not God's Word.
I'm going to be in heaven with Jesus, along with most believers, long before this. With that in mind I live accordingly. The goal for believers is to have God's will to be done here on earth as it is in la-la land.....I mean.....heaven.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not a difficult concept to grasp that looking towards heaven is what we are exhorted, by scripture, to do.

easy concepts, are not an excuse for man made theology is it?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Man made theology? Matthew 6:10 is man made theology?

10Your kingdom come,
Your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.

if you don't believe what the bible says then why do you call yourself Christian?

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if you don't believe what the bible says then why do you call yourself Christian?
Apparently you're the one who doesn't believe the Bible. Or you do not know what it says. There is at this time a heavenly kingdom, and I will go there, soon, when I die. And then one day, at the end of this age, that kingdom will fill the whole recreated earth. Until those two things happen—we die, and the kingdom comes to earth—we are to set our hearts and minds on that kingdom in heaven and on what happens in that kingdom, so it can happen here, now. What part of that do you not understand?

Colossians 3:1-3
1Therefore, since you have been raised with Christ, strive for the things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. 2Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4When Christ, who is youra life, appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apparently you're the one who doesn't believe the Bible. Or you do not know what it says. There is at this time a heavenly kingdom, and I will go there, soon, when I die. And then one day, at the end of this age, that kingdom will fill the whole recreated earth. Until those two things happen—I die, and the kingdom comes to earth—we are to set our hearts and minds on that kingdom in heaven and on what happens in that kingdom so it can happen here, now. What part of that do you not understand?

Colossians 3:1-3
1Therefore, since you have been raised with Christ, strive for the things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. 2Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4When Christ, who is youra life, appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.

you're not paying attention. the term "eternally-minded" is not a biblical term therefore of men's thoughts which is how bogus theology starts.
even Christ minded would be more scripturally sound.

1Co_2:16  For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

or seek out the treasures of heaven which is the Lord our God.

there are many bogus religions out there that are eternally-minded or most of them wouldn't be a religion.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you're not paying attention. the term "eternally-minded" is not a biblical term therefore of men's thoughts which is how bogus theology starts.
even Christ minded would be more scripturally sound.

1Co_2:16  For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

or seek out the treasures of heaven which is the Lord our God.

there are many bogus religions out there that are eternally-minded or most of them wouldn't be a religion.
This is being eternally minded.

1 John 2:
17The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.

Set your focus on doing the will of God and the life to come that never ends. This is not hard. Stop being difficult, lol.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm going to be in heaven with Jesus, along with most believers, long before this. With that in mind I live accordingly. The goal for believers is to have God's will to be done here on earth as it is in la-la land.....I mean.....heaven.

I assume you point to the false pre-trib rapture theory, which is a doctrine from men, and not from God's written Word. Those are who falsely believe they are going to be raptured to Heaven prior to the great tribulation, even though Jesus Himself said His coming to gather His Church will be immediately AFTER the tribulation (Matthew 24:29-31; Mark 13:24-27).

God is coming here, on earth, the new Jerusalem and Heaven with it (Rev.21 & 22; Ezekiel 47 & 48). You have it the wrong way around, because of listening to men who don't know God's Word.

Imagine spending tons of money on what you thought was a high educational degree that would guarantee you a good job and living, and then you find out those who awarded you that degree didn't have the credentials to start with, and just ran off with your money. That's what the pre-trib rapture Church organizational systems are doing.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I assume you point to the false pre-trib rapture theory, which is a doctrine from men, and not from God's written Word. Those are who falsely believe they are going to be raptured to Heaven prior to the great tribulation, even though Jesus Himself said His coming to gather His Church will be immediately AFTER the tribulation (Matthew 24:29-31; Mark 13:24-27).

God is coming here, on earth, the new Jerusalem and Heaven with it (Rev.21 & 22; Ezekiel 47 & 48). You have it the wrong way around, because of listening to men who don't know God's Word.

Imagine spending tons of money on what you thought was a high educational degree that would guarantee you a good job and living, and then you find out those who awarded you that degree didn't have the credentials to start with, and just ran off with your money. That's what the pre-trib rapture Church organizational systems are doing.
You assume wrong. I don't concern myself with when the 'taking away' occurs. Mainly because I'm pretty sure I'm going to be among the countless multitudes through history that die and go to be with Jesus in heaven before the rapture. And so my focus is living in light of that fact and having my mind set on that reality. Call it what you want, but being 'eternally minded' isn't a bad description.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have found, after conversing with many on man's false Pre-trib Rapture theory, that not that many of them actually understand the 1 Thessalonians 4 Scripture by Apostle Paul regarding Christ's coming on the last day and gathering of His Church.

Apostle Paul in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-17 tells us not to worry about those who 'sleep' in Jesus, because He will bring them with Him when He comes. That is one group of saints Jesus will gather when He comes. Paul also tells us those will be gathered first, resurrected, and Jesus brings them with Him as He descends to earth. So it's very difficult to miss there that Lord Jesus is going to DESCEND to this earth where He ascended from. The Zechariah 14 prophecy even tells us He will descend to the very spot on earth where He ascended to Heaven from per Acts 1, i.e., the Mount of Olives east of Jerusalem.

Then Paul tells us those of us still alive on that day of His coming, we will be "caught up" to Him in the "air" (Greek aer which means 'breath'), joined with Him and those resurrected saints. Zechariah 14 then reveals we will go with Jesus to Jerusalem on earth, where His feet will touch down upon the Mount of Olives. Zechariah 14 also tells us that will happen on the "day of the Lord", which is the final day of this present world when He will pour out His cup of wrath upon the wicked.

That "day of the Lord" timing for Christ's coming to gather His Church to go to Jerusalem on earth is also confirmed by Christ's Olivet discourse of Matthew 24:29-31 and Mark 13:24-27. In His Olivet discourse, one example is about His gathering of the asleep saints from Heaven, and the other example is about His gathering of the alive saints still on earth. It directly parallels exactly what Apostle Paul taught in 1 Thessalonians 4 about the coming and gathering of the Church by our Lord Jesus Christ.

So the Bible Scripture of when and how Jesus will gather His Church is actually very simple and easy to understand, IF... the believer actually keeps to the written Bible Scripture and stops listening to the doctrines of men.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You assume wrong. I don't concern myself with when the 'taking away' occurs. Mainly because I'm pretty sure I'm going to be among the countless multitudes through history that die and go to be with Jesus in heaven before the rapture. And so my focus is living in light of that fact and having my mind set on that reality. Call it what you want, but being 'eternally minded' isn't a bad description.

And yet you may not die before His return to gather His saints. I am convinced we are living in the generation that will 'see' His return.

But if you do die first, then yes, the heavenly will be your road. But you will be headed back to this earth with Him when He returns. Heaven is going to be here on earth eventually.

Ezek 48:35
35 It was round about eighteen thousand measures: and the name of the city from that day shall be, The LORD is there.
KJV

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The idea that heaven is going to be on earth only bores me.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Blessings
To me it means realizing who we have become in Christ. That this world is fleeting, and if we were to see through the veil for an instant we would be forever changed.

So how well can we see with the eyes of our faith?

I think to me being "eternity minded", or I'd say "heavenly minded" means to be aware of Jesus here with me now, and to remember that the day is coming when I'll stand before His judgment seat.

To remember that what I see isn't want matters, that I base my life on what the Bible tells me. That I'm dead to sin and alive to God. That in Him I am fruitful.

Much love!