Ethical considerations of banning verses just ignoring a member

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Someone recently pointed out that there's an "ignore" button which censors those posts I no longer deem worthy of my time. This has turned out to be a godsend! Those who do respond to my posts now tend to be of a much better quality, and the debates are much more productive and informative when I'm only viewing the posts of people who are actually able to engage in an intelligent discussion. Even so, I still run into the occasional jab or off topic bit of trolling, etc.

What I've noticed is that sometimes I still wonder what is being posted on a thread I may be monitoring. This thought quickly fades though as I am finding that I don't miss the frustration of having to click some idiotic post from some troll with nothing better to do than post nonsense.

I've also noticed that I rarely see anything quoted from those I've ignored because, for the most part, they are all posting to each other. This is an absolutely incredible revelation to me!

There are some posts I've responded to only to discover that the person I replied to is now banned. This is sad because those who didn't want to read what that person had posted, could have just clicked the 'ignore' button instead and never had the displeasure of viewing any of their posts ever again.

So it seems to me that the "ignore" option is a much more ethical decision to make rather than reporting them to see if they should be banned. Obviously, there are extreme cases where this wouldn't be the case.

One of the reasons I say this is because there are a growing number of Christian apologists who are having their material banned from Youtube, Facebook, etc. They're even having their websites stricken from the algorithms on google's search engine, which makes them extremely difficult to find if you don't know the exact web address. So I can see how this really isn't the most ethical way to proceed.

There's also another social media outlet called "Gab" which has a philosophy whereby anything you want to post from the internet can be uploaded there, and you can post whatever you want in response to it. Anything you don't like that others post online can be "deleted" completely from your computer. Yet that person can still post whatever they like online for anyone else who might want to look at it.

This freedom comes with its drawbacks. There are a lot of trolls, racists, anti semites, etc. who have joined and post seemingly continuously. Here again, while it can take some time to delete them, once they're deleted, that's it. They're as good as gone, and only the stuff you want to view remains.

It seems to me this is a win/win for everyone concerned. I also think that it sends a much stronger message to those who are trolling, or posting offensive material in that if no one replies to their postings, they will see that they're just posting to themselves, and either make the necessary changes or give up altogether, and find something better to do with their lives.

In other words, it sends a much more powerful message when everyone ignores them rather than one person making an executive decision for the whole group.

What do you think?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Going to break this down:

1) An individual hitting the "ignore" button for other poster-- do this when needed. It really helps the toxicity between two people. Let's face it: we all have that individual we can't stand. Alternatively you can just ignore them the old-fashion way.

2) A poster being banned from a venue-- this needs to be done sometimes too. But is serves a very different purpose: fulfilling a rule requirement for the benefit of the general populace. Versus the above is for individuals who just don't get along.

Reactions: bbyrd009

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Going to break this down:

1) An individual hitting the "ignore" button for other poster-- do this when needed. It really helps the toxicity between two people. Let's face it: we all have that individual we can't stand. Alternatively you can just ignore them the old-fashion way.

2) A poster being banned from a venue-- this needs to be done sometimes too. But is serves a very different purpose: fulfilling a rule requirement for the benefit of the general populace. Versus the above is for individuals who just don't get along.

I see what you're saying, but doesn't this assume that the general populace is too inept to click the "ignore" button for themselves?

I don't see the first option for people who don't just get along. I use it to simply save time. The vast majority of those I ignore aren't due to not getting along, but simply because they aren't posting anything worth reading in the first place. Is there a way to block them from sending me personal messages as well? I'd like to know how to use that feature if it exists.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
So I've just "ignore" 'd a few more people on this cite who literally have nothing better to do than post trolling remarks. The satisfaction I gain from knowing that I will never have to look at another one of their pointless rants, inflammatory remarks, or just plain endless blathering is really priceless.

At first I thought it might be beneficial to suggest that others should click the "ignore" icon as well, thinking that this would benefit the cite, but I'm discovering that those who engage trolls are actually trolls themselves. This marker in online participation is serving as a great way to weed out any and all pointless posts.

I can now glance at the subjects being discussed and immediately skip any and all posts by those who have become an "ignored member". I am beginning to see this as a far superior option than banning. It's quite simple, and way more effecient. Simply click on the member to be ignored and then the "ignore" button. No need to build a case against them only to have to wait for some decision to be handed down later. Just two clicks, and they're gone forever.

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Assuming you can see my post :oops:....

I also like the ignore feature.

At first it was difficult because I always wanted to peek and see what was said. I'm over that. Then I thought I might miss something insightful. But I'm over that as well.

The ignore feature is like an entirely different board. I can filter out the garbage and carry on a meaningful dialogue with people whose opinions I value while the trolls troll each other.

Whoda thunk it?

Reactions: Episkopos and Nancy

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So it seems to me that the "ignore" option is a much more ethical decision to make rather than reporting them to see if they should be banned. Obviously, there are extreme cases where this wouldn't be the case.

One of the reasons I say this is because there are a growing number of Christian apologists who are having their material banned from Youtube, Facebook, etc. They're even having their websites stricken from the algorithms on google's search engine, which makes them extremely difficult to find if you don't know the exact web address. So I can see how this really isn't the most ethical way to proceed.

All depends on the role you assume at the site. Some take more supervisory roles than others, were they try to stay abreast of what the common viewer is going to be reading if they log on. Helen is a good example of this, and I have always generally assumed the same role when I'm active. It's more of a parental/guardian/watchman type of stance, and usually self-assigned since the website has very little oversight.

But yes, if that's not your thing, by all means I'd take advantage of the ignore button.
I see what you're saying, but doesn't this assume that the general populace is too inept to click the "ignore" button for themselves?

Ah, but you admitted that you just recently found out about the ignore function, after nearly a thousand posts. :) Most people don't find out about it until long after they've become members either.

I admit, there are times I consider it myself. So congratulations and enjoy it, LoL.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Someone recently pointed out that there's an "ignore" button which censors those posts I no longer deem worthy of my time. This has turned out to be a godsend! Those who do respond to my posts now tend to be of a much better quality, and the debates are much more productive and informative when I'm only viewing the posts of people who are actually able to engage in an intelligent discussion. Even so, I still run into the occasional jab or off topic bit of trolling, etc.

What I've noticed is that sometimes I still wonder what is being posted on a thread I may be monitoring. This thought quickly fades though as I am finding that I don't miss the frustration of having to click some idiotic post from some troll with nothing better to do than post nonsense.

I've also noticed that I rarely see anything quoted from those I've ignored because, for the most part, they are all posting to each other. This is an absolutely incredible revelation to me!

There are some posts I've responded to only to discover that the person I replied to is now banned. This is sad because those who didn't want to read what that person had posted, could have just clicked the 'ignore' button instead and never had the displeasure of viewing any of their posts ever again.

There's also another social media outlet called "Gab" which has a philosophy whereby anything you want to post from the internet can be uploaded there, and you can post whatever you want in response to it. Anything you don't like that others post online can be "deleted" completely from your computer. Yet that person can still post whatever they like online for anyone else who might want to look at it.

This freedom comes with its drawbacks. There are a lot of trolls, racists, anti semites, etc. who have joined and post seemingly continuously. Here again, while it can take some time to delete them, once they're deleted, that's it. They're as good as gone, and only the stuff you want to view remains.

It seems to me this is a win/win for everyone concerned. I also think that it sends a much stronger message to those who are trolling, or posting offensive material in that if no one replies to their postings, they will see that they're just posting to themselves, and either make the necessary changes or give up altogether, and find something better to do with their lives.

In other words, it sends a much more powerful message when everyone ignores them rather than one person making an executive decision for the whole group.

What do you think?

I think there is nothing at all wrong to put some on ignore. It's the ones who continually post self righteous and sarcastic posts, no love there and if I were to read their posts, it can get my dander up so...I too choose to ignore several on here. Although, I do peek once in awhile...but, all in all, it makes the site much more pleasant, and removes the temptation to reply in turn therefore, causing us to be like them. Not a thing wrong with putting some on ignore.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Assuming you can see my post :oops:....

I also like the ignore feature.

At first it was difficult because I always wanted to peek and see what was said. I'm over that. Then I thought I might miss something insightful. But I'm over that as well.

There's a tipping point when you realize that it doesn't matter what you post it is going to be ignored, and some nonsensical inflammatory remarks will be posted instead of an honest response. There's a little troll in each and everyone of us that needs to be starved to death, and the best way to do that is to ignore them. However, I will eagerly point out that there are some who are incredibly talented at trolling people to such an extent that their targets don't even know they're being trolled, OR the level of wit is of such a quality that it completely obliterates the ego. This is the artist. The guru troll, The Ascended Master of Trolling, and although rare, a much sought after and well worth emulating figure. I had a topic posted a few years ago here pointing out that Jesus was a troll. It might still be up in the Unorthodox section, but might have been removed.

It sounds blasphemous, but Jesus was incredibly adept at ticking people off. Just imagine walking up to the very people who have spent their entire lives not only studying Torah, but making copies as well, people who are well respected for their incredibly in depth familiarity, and saying "Haven't you read what it says in the book of Moses?" LOL! The thing is that Jesus could back it up. The average troll today on a site like this just copies the same format and thinks they're somehow making a point.

The ignore feature is like an entirely different board. I can filter out the garbage and carry on a meaningful dialogue with people whose opinions I value while the trolls troll each other.

Whoda thunk it?

Yes. I was on this site for over a few years before I discovered the ignore feature, and this is now becoming one of my favorite sites. EVERYONE is great now. LOL it's why I point out in my "signature" that when we go to our reward, we don't want to be around trolls for eternity. Like that saying, wasting time injures eternity. We don't want to become too acclimated to trolling as it is probably what we will be doing for eternity. Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. matthew 6:21

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I think there is nothing at all wrong to put some on ignore. It's the ones who continually post self righteous and sarcastic posts, no love there and if I were to read their posts, it can get my dander up so...I too choose to ignore several on here. Although, I do peek once in awhile...but, all in all, it makes the site much more pleasant, and removes the temptation to reply in turn therefore, causing us to be like them. Not a thing wrong with putting some on ignore.

I would only add that as you get more adept at hitting that ignore button when some moron posts nonsense, it gets much easier not only to hit the ignore buttton, but to refrain from peeking. I peeked a couple of times because this site still allows what other people post to them to be seen on topics you are "watching", and sometimes their posts require context to understand what they're argument or point may be. Although I'm learing to ignore any posts that dont' make sense to begin with as well.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would only add that as you get more adept at hitting that ignore button when some moron posts nonsense, it gets much easier not only to hit the ignore buttton, but to refrain from peeking. I peeked a couple of times because this site still allows what other people post to them to be seen on topics you are "watching", and sometimes their posts require context to understand what they're argument or point may be. Although I'm learing to ignore any posts that dont' make sense to begin with as well.

Yes, my peeking does have to do with context but, the more divisive threads I do try to stay away from.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
The site isn't a venue for free expression. It is a place for people to learn about God.

This requires for many views to be allowed, so they can be tested. By welcoming everyone and being tolerant of differences we create opportunities to edify others.

However ungracious speech drives away Spirit filled members. Without the Spirit filled members there would no longer be anyone left qualified to teach. The site would be better off dead if that were the case.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
ungracious speech drives away Spirit filled members. Without the Spirit filled members there would no longer be anyone left qualified to teach. The site would be better off dead if that were the case.

Ungracious speech doesn't drive away Spirit-filled members. There is plenty of ungracious speech on this site, and there are still Spirit filled members who post and some even interact with the ungracious speech of others. I don't know how they do it, but then that's probably why they're Spirit filled and I'm hitting the "ignore" button.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Ungracious speech doesn't drive away Spirit-filled members. There is plenty of ungracious speech on this site, and there are still Spirit filled members who post and some even interact with the ungracious speech of others. I don't know how they do it, but then that's probably why they're Spirit filled and I'm hitting the "ignore" button.

You have only been here a short time so might not have seen it. But there have been times when the behavor on the site was far worse and it caused people to start leaving.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
You have only been here a short time so might not have seen it. But there have been times when the behavor on the site was far worse and it caused people to start leaving.
No doubt some people have better things to do. This seems to spotlight my point. Some people put up with nonsense for days, weeks, months, until they just can't take anymore, and then tell everyone, "I'm outa here!!!" I suspect they haven't discovered the beauty of simply hitting the "Ignore" button. Perhaps they report abusive behavior to the moderators with no luck, and conclude this isn't the place for them. It's sad because the ignore button literally allows them to create the site they want to belong to.

I don't know how many people I have ignored already, but this site is nothing like it was before it was revealed to me. It's the difference between heaven and hell.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
No doubt some people have better things to do. This seems to spotlight my point. Some people put up with nonsense for days, weeks, months, until they just can't take anymore, and then tell everyone, "I'm outa here!!!" I suspect they haven't discovered the beauty of simply hitting the "Ignore" button. Perhaps they report abusive behavior to the moderators with no luck, and conclude this isn't the place for them. It's sad because the ignore button literally allows them to create the site they want to belong to.

I don't know how many people I have ignored already, but this site is nothing like it was before it was revealed to me. It's the difference between heaven and hell.

I can imagine how that makes for a more pleasant facade.

I believe the ignore feature can be utilized to help with self control. If you and someone else are always arguing and you can't help yourself from letting it get personal, ignore them.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I can imagine how that makes for a more pleasant facade.

I believe the ignore feature can be utilized to help with self control. If you and someone else are always arguing and you can't help yourself from letting it get personal, ignore them.

I think too many people aren't aware of this feature. I don't know why it isn't prominently displayed right below where it says the name of the member, or "well known member" It places it into a person's conscious awareness so they can read a great post and hit "follow" or when they see one that makes their blood boil, they can hit that "ignore" button and feel instant satisfaction.

I'm not saying this site should implement any of these ideas, I'm just thinking out loud. I think it would be hilarious to be able to hit the "follow" button and have some animated image of the person following Christ complete with clouds parting and horns blowing, or hit the "ignore" button, and have some animated scene of them being tossed screaming into the lake of fire. with the devil chasing them into it. ; )

Think of how many of these people are basically doing that in their minds already.