Evangelicals and the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
An Evangelical HONEST with regard to the Sabbath the Son of Man BY RIGHT OF RESURRECTION FROM THE DEAD IS LORD OF? NEVER!
A lot of shouting for a man with so little understanding.

By His resurection, we as Christians have the right to rest in Him from our own works, while you spend your life working at resting.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

By His resurection, we as Christians have the right to rest in Him from our own works, while you spend your life working at resting.

The very answer I expected! A lot of shouting for a man with so large understanding knowledge but zero courage or honesty of persuasion.
At the ground roads crossing of Sunday and Sabbath the rules of the road are on the sign-board,
No cattle crossing for Scriptures! Evangelicals only!
Trespassers shall be Attacked, Judged and Condemned summarily!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
"Christianity is based upon the impregnable rock of Holy Scripture. The starting point of all doctrinal discussion must be the Bible. Upon the foundation of the Divine inspiration of the Bible stands or falls the entire edifice of Christian truth.—"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?" (Psalm 11:3). A.W. Pink.

<By His resurrection, we as Christians have the right to rest in Him from our own works, while you spend your life working at resting.>

By the right of His Resurrection, according to the Holy Scriptures, we as Christians have the right <in Him> to "the Rest of God" - "Christ Our Righteousness", our Redemption and our Salvation, by His grace alone.
"IF THEN / SINCE / BECAUSE / FROM THAT / AS JESUS HAD GIVEN THEM GOD'S REST there therefore for the People of God remains a Sabbath Day-of-rest"-- NO SUNDAY'S <rest> for which there IS NO SCRIPTURE, only the audacity of some too-goods to be obedient to God's Truth in Christ by Resurrection from the dead "ON THE SABBATH BEFORE the First Day of the week".

Sola Scriptura? Not as far as today's Evangelicals worry.

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

<<we as Christians have the right>> --
<WE as Christians> as opposed to <you> who believe the Scriptures including its "Sabbath, the day The Seventh Day .. OF THE LORD GOD".

<we .. have the right> to what? <<to rest in Him from our own works, while you spend your life working at resting>>-- which is a direct sentence to eternal hard labour in hell's fires, don't you be mistaken! In hell for what? For believing "the Seventh Day God in these last days .. thus concerning spake .. BY THE SON .. and God the day The Seventh Day from all his works rested."

Yes! <<we as Christians have the right>> -- <WE>, "Laodicea .. because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased in goods, and have need of nothing, and thou knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and blind, and naked."

From a Sundayer PROFESSOR's 'prayer'...
{Search your heart. Is this [SUNDAY] really the Lord’s Day for you? I hope so. Father, thank You again for Your Word, for the refreshment of it, the beauty of it, the simplicity of it, and the richness of it, the consistency of it really overwhelms us. And even though we study it week after week, year after year, it comes to us with a kind of freshness that brings joy to our hearts. This is Your day. We want to fill it with all the things that focus on You, delighting in You, loving You, loving Your people, loving Your truth.}

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Chrianity is based on Christ, the corner stone that was rejected, and the Works He has done. You should remove the Stylus from the record it has become stuck.

Who can say he is a Calvinist? The Sunday worshipper who boasts he is a Calvinist? While Calvin with contempt and scorn in holy anger rejected the Roman Catholic idol magnified to equality with the Word of God in every Christian Church in every place in all the world on every 'Day of the LORD SUN' AND WORSHIPPED even in epitaph on Christians' tomb and church corner stones!

For Sunday's honour the "grace" for which Calvin is best known, is being made the cheap toy from and branded, 'Made in Hell'.

Last edited:

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
An Evangelical HONEST with regard to the Sabbath the Son of Man BY RIGHT OF RESURRECTION FROM THE DEAD IS LORD OF? NEVER!
I am not quite sure what you are getting at with your convoluted words but I seem to pick up that you are saying the sabbath is Sundown Friday to Sundown Saturday and we should observe that as our sabbath.

OR

You could be saying that Christians do not have to observe the Jewish sabbath and that it is Ok to meet on Sunday.

Clarification please.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Who can say he is a Calvinist? The Sunday worshipper who boasts he is a Calvinist? While Calvin with contempt and scorn in holy anger rejected the Roman Catholic idol magnified to equality with the Word of God in every Christian Church in every place in all the world on every 'Day of the LORD SUN' AND WORSHIPPED even in epitaph on Christians' tomb and church corner stones!

For Sunday's honour the "grace" for which Calvin is best known, is being made the cheap toy from and branded, 'Made in Hell'.
everday belongs to God, so ill just give everyday to Him, and my rest shall be in Christ, because, It is finished.

Amen

Reactions: mailmandan

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I am not quite sure what you are getting at with your convoluted words but I seem to pick up that you are saying the sabbath is Sundown Friday to Sundown Saturday and we should observe that as our sabbath.

OR

You could be saying that Christians do not have to observe the Jewish sabbath and that it is Ok to meet on Sunday.

Clarification please.
It is good to respond to someone who has made a sensible post instead of a whole lot of contentious nonsense.

I go with your second alternative, because when the curtain of the Temple was ripped from top to bottom it signalled the end of the Old Covenant with its requirement for believers to be circumcised and to observe the Mosaic Law as a rule of faith. Also, the animal sacrifices were abolished as well, along with the absolute requirement to keep the Saturday sabbath.

Gentile Christians met on the first day of the week because outside of Judah, Saturday was a normal working day (I guess some have missed that simple fact!), and the only day off was Sunday, the first day of the week and that was the only day they could meet together for worship.

There must have been a dispensation for Jews to meet in their synagogues in Gentile regions under the principle of the Roman government that allowed Jews to have freedom of their religion. Paul was self-employed, and had the freedom to go and share the gospel with the Jews in their synagogues, and he would have joined in with Christians in their fellowship meetings on Sundays.

There is nothing wrong with Christians setting aside the only free day from their working life to worship the Lord and fellowship together. It was not an absolute requirement for gospel salvation, although Paul recommended that Christian believers should fellowship together for mutual encouragement and support. He noted that some didn't fellowship with the rest, but he never expressed any doubt that they were as genuinely saved as the rest.

So, my answer to those who insist that one must observe the sabbath as a requirement, should practice animal sacrifice and be circumcised as well, along with obeying all the commands of the Mosaic Law. One needs to be consistent and not hypocritical by making one aspect of the Law a definite requirement while ignoring the rest.

Having one foot in one camp and the other foot in the other, is a sign of double-mindedness, and James says that the person who is double-minded shouldn't expect anything from the Lord.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It is good to respond to someone who has made a sensible post instead of a whole lot of contentious nonsense.

I go with your second alternative, because when the curtain of the Temple was ripped from top to bottom it signalled the end of the Old Covenant with its requirement for believers to be circumcised and to observe the Mosaic Law as a rule of faith. Also, the animal sacrifices were abolished as well, along with the absolute requirement to keep the Saturday sabbath.

Gentile Christians met on the first day of the week because outside of Judah, Saturday was a normal working day (I guess some have missed that simple fact!), and the only day off was Sunday, the first day of the week and that was the only day they could meet together for worship.

There must have been a dispensation for Jews to meet in their synagogues in Gentile regions under the principle of the Roman government that allowed Jews to have freedom of their religion. Paul was self-employed, and had the freedom to go and share the gospel with the Jews in their synagogues, and he would have joined in with Christians in their fellowship meetings on Sundays.

There is nothing wrong with Christians setting aside the only free day from their working life to worship the Lord and fellowship together. It was not an absolute requirement for gospel salvation, although Paul recommended that Christian believers should fellowship together for mutual encouragement and support. He noted that some didn't fellowship with the rest, but he never expressed any doubt that they were as genuinely saved as the rest.

So, my answer to those who insist that one must observe the sabbath as a requirement, should practice animal sacrifice and be circumcised as well, along with obeying all the commands of the Mosaic Law. One needs to be consistent and not hypocritical by making one aspect of the Law a definite requirement while ignoring the rest.

Having one foot in one camp and the other foot in the other, is a sign of double-mindedness, and James says that the person who is double-minded shouldn't expect anything from the Lord.

You said Gentile Christians met on the first day of the week because outside of Judah, Saturday was a normal working day (I guess some have missed that simple fact!), and the only day off was Sunday, the first day of the week and that was the only day they could meet together for worship.

What gentile Christians are you talking about? The Jerusalem church was made up of Jews. Where ever Paul went he went first to the synagogues so the original churches in places like Ephesus, Colossae, Philippi, etc were Jews, not Gentiles. That being the case they would have retained their Jewish identity and worked on Sunday and have the day off on the Sabbath so they would meet on the Sabbath (Friday sundown to Saturday sundown).

Sunday worship was not effected until Constantine became a Christian and effected the change in 326AD.

Plus if the mosaic law is not relevant does that mean that we do not have to love God with everything and love our neighbour as ourselves?

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
everday belongs to God, so ill just give everyday to Him, and my rest shall be in Christ, because, It is finished.
...like are you, God.
But tell God I'll just this and I'll just that and MY rest shall be in Christ. That's just what the Evangelicals do and even pray. But teach and proclaim what Scripture teaches and proclaims, nah, that's not even for babies in the faith; that's for the unworthy and unbelievers.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

So what's new pussycat? No Scripture, clever man? What should I have expected?

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
What gentile Christians are you talking about? The Jerusalem church was made up of Jews. Where ever Paul went he went first to the synagogues so the original churches in places like Ephesus, Colossae, Philippi, etc were Jews, not Gentiles. That being the case they would have retained their Jewish identity and worked on Sunday and have the day off on the Sabbath so they would meet on the Sabbath (Friday sundown to Saturday sundown).

Unashamedly Evangelical! Wave Scripture, history, fact and Truth! Bless Scripture!

But I if ONLY i, will not keep quiet for you or anyone, so help me, God! Therefore, AGAIN, TAKE THIS IF YOU CAN, TAKE SCRIPTURE and stop your prattle!

“On the Sabbath…” in Acts 13

“They went into the Gathering and sat down (in worship) on the Day of the Sabbath

14ἐλθόντες εἰς τὴν συναγωγὴν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ τῶν σαββάτων ἐκάθισαν.

“Paul stood up and waiving the hand (like once Moses before the Red Sea) spoke (in worship)…

16ἀναστὰς δὲ Παῦλος καὶ κατασείσας τῇ χειρὶ εἶπεν

“We declare unto you The Good News declared before our ancestors

32ἡμεῖς ὑμᾶς εὐαγγελιζόμεθ τὴν πρὸς τοὺς πατέρας

“the same Gospel / Promise having come / been fulfilled

ἐπαγγελίαν γενομένην

the same Gospel God hath fulfilled unto us their children

33ὅτι ταύτην ὁ Θεὸς ἐκπεπλήρωκεν τοῖς τέκνοις ἡμῶν

“in that He hath raised up Jesus

ἀναστήσας Ἰησοῦν,

The Word of Salvation, The Word is sent forth and proclaimed

26ἡμῖν ὁ λόγος τῆς σωτηρίας ταύτης ἐξαπεστάλη

ON EVERY SABBATH EVERYWHERE EVERYONE GATHERED TO HEAR THE WORD OF GOD

44Τῷ σαββάτῳ πᾶσα συνήχθη ἀκοῦσαι τὸν λόγον τοῦ Θεοῦ.

“and the Voice of the Prophets ON EVERY SABBATH EVERYWHERE was made heard ANEW

27καὶ τὰς φωνὰς τῶν προφητῶν τὰς κατὰ πᾶν σάββατον ἀναγινωσκομένας

On the Sabbath .. Paul and Barnabas PREACHED BOLDLY indeed, saying

44Τῷ δὲ σαββάτῳ .. 46παρρησιασάμενοί τε ὁ Παῦλος καὶ ὁ Βαρνάβας

“It was obligatory to speak / preach the WORD OF GOD to you (Jews) first*

εἶπαν Ὑμῖν ἦν ἀναγκαῖον πρῶτον λαληθῆναι τὸν λόγον τοῦ Θεοῦ·

“since you REJECTED it and judged yourself not WORTHY OF ETERNAL LIFE (we preach)

ἐπειδὴ ἀπωθεῖσθε αὐτὸν καὶ οὐκ ἀξίους κρίνετε ἑαυτοὺς τῆς αἰωνίου ζωῆς,

Behold henceforth we PROCLAIM it to (all) the NATIONS (Gentiles).

ἰδοὺ στρεφόμεθα εἰς τὰ ἔθνη (45 τοὺς ὄχλους).

For so hath the Lord (Jesus) commanded / entitled us ..

47οὕτως γὰρ ἐντέταλται ἡμῖν ὁ Κύριος

“I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles that

τέθεικά σε εἰς φῶς ἐθνῶν τοῦ εἶναί

“thou shoudest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.

σε εἰς σωτηρίαν ἕως ἐσχάτου τῆς γῆς.

(Isaiah 42:6; 49:6; 51:4 2Corinthians 4:6 Ephesian 5:14 Isaiah 58:8-14)

*first – v42 Day of Judgment “in-between-sabbath”

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
...like are you, God.
But tell God I'll just this and I'll just that and MY rest shall be in Christ. That's just what the Evangelicals do and even pray. But teach and proclaim what Scripture teaches and proclaims, nah, that's not even for babies in the faith; that's for the unworthy and unbelievers.
well good thing im nit God or an evangelical, and you still nit ready for the meat.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
You said Gentile Christians met on the first day of the week because outside of Judah, Saturday was a normal working day (I guess some have missed that simple fact!), and the only day off was Sunday, the first day of the week and that was the only day they could meet together for worship.

Sunday worship was not effected until Constantine became a Christian and effected the change in 326AD.

Plus if the mosaic law is not relevant does that mean that we do not have to love God with everything and love our neighbour as ourselves?
I was talking about Gentiles who came to Christ and who did not fellowship with Jews in their Synagogues. It is through Gentile believers that worship on Sunday started. I am well aware that Jewish Christians did worship in the Synagogue on Saturdays, until many of them were thrown out because of their Christian faith.

Yes, I concur with you that it was probably Constantine who made Sunday worship official for the Christian church.

By the way, I am not a Jew, but a Gentile believer, so the Mosaic Law doesn't and has never applied to me at all.

We need to note that Paul encountered Jewish "apostles" who came from Jerusalem to the Galatian churches and taught that the Gentile believers there needed to be circumcised and comply with Mosaic Law in order to be saved. In other words, they would have to adopt a Jewish identity to be truly saved. Paul treated these "apostles" as totally false, "bewitching" the churches to depart from their original faith in Christ, and that they were preaching a false gospel that had the curse of God on it.

So, I can't see how First Century Gentile believers would want to go and worship in Jewish synagogues, and how the Jews would want to have them mix with them. The Jews would have seen Gentiles coming into their synagogues as totally unclean and would not have allowed them to bring corruption in among them.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I tend to respond to sensible, practical posts, not contentious, flaming or goading ones.

Typical the Evangelical response. You have no need to <respond> because of your elevation in power, influence, success, reputation. You do not HAVE to resort to Scripture for anything so low down beneath you as the Sabbath of the LORD GOD.
You do not <tend to> sensibility or practicality - right the opposite, you are TRAINED in PROVOKING flaming and goading <posts>. Your despising of me and the Sabbath alike hangs so thick in the air not the Sword of the Word could cut through.