Ever worked a job where the baddies were out to get you to quit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Abigail

Jan 29, 2022
Brookside
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I worked as a cashier for a company that lets just say has some very dark plotting baddies that are long term employees and who plot against new arrivals so they don't remain employed for long. Mainly because the baddies set up the new arrivals to take the blame for things that are the baddies doing. Or that are the result of poor training by lazy corrupt managers.

Now I'm wondering at my chances of getting another job if I omit the bad shop that I worked at for a few months. One application I filled out today asked if I'd been gainfully employed in the last 22 months. If I gave that bad shop as a reference the record the baddies set me up with will be reported. Which makes for a really bad reference.

They've had 10 employees, now including me today, who have quit in the last month and a half.

I was everything the long term employees who get away with all sorts of dirt including stealing from the til are not. Friendly to the customers, greeting them when they'd enter the shop, genuinely happy and cordial, helpful, and of course honest. One customer complimented me out loud. Calling me by name, which was on my name tag, and saying how wonderful it was and refreshing to be waited on by someone genuinely glad to see them.
The sourpusses I worked with loved to hear that I'm sure. They ignore customers, gossip with the ones they've known for years while other customers are waiting their turn. Managers don't say a word.

The tension in that shop was palpable when you walked through the door. Like someone set up static electric charges all through it. One long time manager quit because the newest manager insisted he return to work even having been diagnosed with COVID-19. Seems he was only allowed to be off work for three days. When the then quarantine period was 10 days. He was told he had to get someone to cover his shift or else. Yeah, come to work when still suffering the impact of COVID-19 or else! Put all the employees and countless customers at risk. Because you can't have off longer than three days even with a doctors note.

I'm venting I realize. I'm just wondering if anyone else has been there. Or if you have any advice as to how I might obtain another job without using that place as a reference. Because when they work to sabotage new employees in house, I won't let myself imagine what they'll do to former one's if they have to use that shop as a reference when seeking a new job.

I think that's what they look forward to actually. Making life so difficult in shop that we quit. Knowing if we use that job as a reference the managers, that are all that's wrong with the place, will get the last word by giving a horrible reference that may insure we don't get another job.

And today all the big wigs from corporate office were to arrive at that shop. Seems they were really upset about something and were all heading in to talk to the manager. Who is the one they should fire. As just the start of cleaning the place up.

OK, done venting now.
Where's the Häagen-Dazs? lol What's that even translate to anyway? Häagen-Dazs?

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I worked as a cashier for a company that lets just say has some very dark plotting baddies that are long term employees and who plot against new arrivals so they don't remain employed for long. Mainly because the baddies set up the new arrivals to take the blame for things that are the baddies doing. Or that are the result of poor training by lazy corrupt managers.

Now I'm wondering at my chances of getting another job if I omit the bad shop that I worked at for a few months. One application I filled out today asked if I'd been gainfully employed in the last 22 months. If I gave that bad shop as a reference the record the baddies set me up with will be reported. Which makes for a really bad reference.

They've had 10 employees, now including me today, who have quit in the last month and a half.

I was everything the long term employees who get away with all sorts of dirt including stealing from the til are not. Friendly to the customers, greeting them when they'd enter the shop, genuinely happy and cordial, helpful, and of course honest. One customer complimented me out loud. Calling me by name, which was on my name tag, and saying how wonderful it was and refreshing to be waited on by someone genuinely glad to see them.
The sourpusses I worked with loved to hear that I'm sure. They ignore customers, gossip with the ones they've known for years while other customers are waiting their turn. Managers don't say a word.

The tension in that shop was palpable when you walked through the door. Like someone set up static electric charges all through it. One long time manager quit because the newest manager insisted he return to work even having been diagnosed with COVID-19. Seems he was only allowed to be off work for three days. When the then quarantine period was 10 days. He was told he had to get someone to cover his shift or else. Yeah, come to work when still suffering the impact of COVID-19 or else! Put all the employees and countless customers at risk. Because you can't have off longer than three days even with a doctors note.

I'm venting I realize. I'm just wondering if anyone else has been there. Or if you have any advice as to how I might obtain another job without using that place as a reference. Because when they work to sabotage new employees in house, I won't let myself imagine what they'll do to former one's if they have to use that shop as a reference when seeking a new job.

I think that's what they look forward to actually. Making life so difficult in shop that we quit. Knowing if we use that job as a reference the managers, that are all that's wrong with the place, will get the last word by giving a horrible reference that may insure we don't get another job.

And today all the big wigs from corporate office were to arrive at that shop. Seems they were really upset about something and were all heading in to talk to the manager. Who is the one they should fire. As just the start of cleaning the place up.

OK, done venting now.
Where's the Häagen-Dazs? lol What's that even translate to anyway? Häagen-Dazs?

You could have been my niece (who is staying with me for a few more months) writing this, and she is a very cordial kind and attentive worker with customers. Biggest problem there was the manager and several long timers. I could just tell when she would come home from this place that she was not happy. Her stories sound much like yours. It broke my heart as she had such high hopes but, we prayed and trusted in God that He would find her an even better one if we wait on Him and, she now has an awesome job that she loves.

I wish you well and, if I've not welcomed you, HI! :D
BTW-from what I just read on Quora:

"It is a meaningless grouping of letters and therefore cannot be translated. Back in 1959 when the brand was conceived by a husband and wife (or mother and son?) team of ice cream makers, they thought by creating something that sounds so Scandinavian people would be even more interested in their premium product. It was a brilliant move. Since then, the company was purchased by a larger corporation (Pillsbury -1983), and sometime after Pillsbury sold it to General Mills."
¯\_㋡_/¯

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because you can't have off longer than three days even with a doctors note.
Our youngest son used to work at this grocery store. He picked up some gawdawful stomach bug and called his manager to tell her he was going to take a sick day. His boss told him that due to rampant absenteeism problems, the new policy was he had to have a note from his doctor. He didn't want to go down to the Urgent Care and wait for 2 hours to see a doctor, so he went to work and went directly to the manager's office. He was feverish and a pasty green color and looked like he was going to vomit all over her desk. His boss quickly told him she believed his story about being sick and shooed him out of her office. :D

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When I worked I sometimes had a persistent cough and because I worked on the phones, sometimes the office manager sent me out into the corridor so I wouldn't be a nuisance and I needed to take time off quite often as you can't speak to customers on the phone if you are coughing all the time. I used to ask to be given other work but never was. I also used to get migraines occasionally which meant my taking time off or having to go home early. I was disciplined a couple of times but the union rep spoke up for me and there were no warning or further action of any description. But they changed their policy and if you phoned in sick somebody from work would phone you at home to make sure you were really there. I considered that an invasion of privacy and never answered when I knew it was them.

Abigail

Jan 29, 2022
Brookside
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you all for sharing your stories. We are not alone. :( And Nancy, thank you also for the positive note about your niece. That's my thought about this. I hated my job. I loved to serve the public I just couldn't stand the tension when I'd enter the shop. And when substituting for other cashiers at other shops it was a whole different energy. Very chill, relaxed, even peaceful. But my shop was as if someone released a huge static electricity charge into the whole of the store. And all the long time people are grumpy, calculating, training new hires wrong so they get in trouble, and are just plain rude to customers.

I'm looking for a better job. I hope I'm as blessed as Nancy's niece. :)

I'm glad you all shared your stories. Maybe this thread can be a "my job sucks" safe space for venting. Let it out and then give it to God. It'll always get better.
I gotta believe that because if it gets worse I'm going to be very disappointed.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It truly tickles my soul when i see the reminder that sister nancy gives .
SHE aint not calvnist , and believe me that is by her choice . I just get so tickled most every time i see that .

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all for sharing your stories. We are not alone. :( And Nancy, thank you also for the positive note about your niece. That's my thought about this. I hated my job. I loved to serve the public I just couldn't stand the tension when I'd enter the shop. And when substituting for other cashiers at other shops it was a whole different energy. Very chill, relaxed, even peaceful. But my shop was as if someone released a huge static electricity charge into the whole of the store. And all the long time people are grumpy, calculating, training new hires wrong so they get in trouble, and are just plain rude to customers.

I'm looking for a better job. I hope I'm as blessed as Nancy's niece. :)

I'm glad you all shared your stories. Maybe this thread can be a "my job sucks" safe space for venting. Let it out and then give it to God. It'll always get better.
I gotta believe that because if it gets worse I'm going to be very disappointed.
Oh I used to vent every night when I got home. I loved my job of taking orders from customers on the phone but I hated the regime in the office with KPIs and Benchmarks and being timed on everything. I used to have positive saying written on bits of paper and stuck on my work station.
At one time I had a team leader who did not like me and found fault with everything so much so that I was afraid of her. Until that is I realised I was the Christian here and could rise above it. It worked. I started by complimenting her on her nail colour or hair style or anything really and eventually there was mutual respect between us and on the day I retired she took me home with my gifts and flowers and came and had a coffee in my home. God is good and will make things right if we trust him.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our youngest son used to work at this grocery store. He picked up some gawdawful stomach bug and called his manager to tell her he was going to take a sick day. His boss told him that due to rampant absenteeism problems, the new policy was he had to have a note from his doctor. He didn't want to go down to the Urgent Care and wait for 2 hours to see a doctor, so he went to work and went directly to the manager's office. He was feverish and a pasty green color and looked like he was going to vomit all over her desk. His boss quickly told him she believed his story about being sick and shooed him out of her office. :D

Lol, your son chose wisely!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just wondering if anyone else has been there.
I was production manager in a shop where the owner was interferring, and eventually he caused an on the job injury to one of the operators. I knew all about what was happening, and had emails I sent him, showing negligence, and was fired 3 days after a good review with raise, but 2 days after Maria was injured. Reason for termination was that I had anger problems, something that wasn't true. What was true was that I could bury him.

My unemployment insurance was denied. I requested a review, explained what had happened, and started receiving the checks. When I went for a job interview some years later, directly related to that position, I revealed that I had been fired, and for what reason, and then told them what I believed to be the true reason. I was hired (where I am now).

The hiring manager told me later, it was that very thing that informed her decision. She said that my telling her the full story showed integrity.

So at the end of the day, be truthful, and trust God.

After being wrongfully fired, it would be another 13 months before I found another job. And during that time, I remember one time asking God, is it because of __________ that I'm not getting hired somewhere? To which He replied, "I've used many things to keep you from getting the wrong job."

Much love!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh I used to vent every night when I got home. I loved my job of taking orders from customers on the phone but I hated the regime in the office with KPIs and Benchmarks and being timed on everything. I used to have positive saying written on bits of paper and stuck on my work station.
At one time I had a team leader who did not like me and found fault with everything so much so that I was afraid of her. Until that is I realised I was the Christian here and could rise above it. It worked. I started by complimenting her on her nail colour or hair style or anything really and eventually there was mutual respect between us and on the day I retired she took me home with my gifts and flowers and came and had a coffee in my home. God is good and will make things right if we trust him.
Pearl, I love how you handled the situation.;)

Reactions: Abigail

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was production manager in a shop where the owner was interferring, and eventually he caused an on the job injury to one of the operators. I knew all about what was happening, and had emails I sent him, showing negligence, and was fired 3 days after a good review with raise, but 2 days after Maria was injured. Reason for termination was that I had anger problems, something that wasn't true. What was true was that I could bury him.

My unemployment insurance was denied. I requested a review, explained what had happened, and started receiving the checks. When I went for a job interview some years later, directly related to that position, I revealed that I had been fired, and for what reason, and then told them what I believed to be the true reason. I was hired (where I am now).

The hiring manager told me later, it was that very thing that informed her decision. She said that my telling her the full story showed integrity.

After being wrongfully fired, it would be another 13 months before I found another job. And during that time, I remember one time asking God, is it because of __________ that I'm not getting hired somewhere? To which He replied, "I've used many things to keep you from getting the wrong job."

Much love!
Great story. Reminds me of my work history a little.

Reactions: Abigail and marks

Abigail

Jan 29, 2022
Brookside
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
I filled out an online application the same day I quit. There they asked if I'd been employed within the last 22 months. I debated. I figured as much as they plot against new people to get them to quit for whatever weird reason, imagine what they'd have to say if called for a reference.
I answered yes and waited for a drop down box to ask details. There was none. I'm thinking they do background checks and that question was a test to see if the potential applicant has integrity.

I'm glad you posted. Rather than avoid the question I'm going to answer if asked in the future applications I put in. I'm also thinking the lot at that former job imagine all of us who quit will omit that shop on future applications. Which will either cost us a job based on dishonesty because applications stipulate you've answered truthfully prior to your signing. Or they think if we do admit we worked there the so called managers will have the last word when giving us a bad review on job performance.

My district manager telephoned today. I was on an important call at the time his call waiting signal beeped in. He wanted to talk about what happened that morning. I telephoned back and he'd left. I called again and the counter person said they'd shoot him an email to let him know I called and with my cell number for a return call. Haven't heard a word.
That's if Megan is to be believed. At this point it's hard to trust anyone who works for that corporation. And calling their corporate office number results in every single extension failing to open a voice mail box. Because no surprise, their full.
And not a chance of getting a live person either.
When you can't keep employees and HR and the top people in corporate don't notice? Somethings amiss.

Which reminds me, now when applying for jobs there's this notice about a federal credit or something like. The potential employer gets some kind of tax credit if their hires are within the parameters set forth by the subsequent questions asked in that federal portion of the applications.
When I applied for that former job I had the option to not answer that part. I opted out. After that when I was hired I received constant emails from the corporation instructing me to answer.

I wonder if there's some kind of monetary gain should the employee that fits in those parameters be fired or resigns, quits.
Since there's a tax credit for the hire maybe there's a tax break for the fire?

Ah the trials and travails of the working class. *sigh* Working for people and expected to demonstrate a level of team work and loyalty when the one's worked for and have none of that.

Reactions: marks