Examine Yourselves

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Cor. 13:5-6
"Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates."

Paul is telling us to check up on our faith from time to time. Is your faith in Christ and His finished work, in His death, burial, and resurrection for you?

How do we "examine ourselves" to see that our faith is in the correct object?

1 Cor. 11:23-26
"For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

"And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come."

This is your examination! The Lord's Supper is the time for you to reflect on what your faith is made of! The broken body of Christ crucified for your sins, the cup of His Blood shed for your forgiveness of sins.

The next time you have the Lord's Supper in your Church, Examine yourself, whether you are in the faith!

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Paul is telling us to check up on our faith from time to time. Is your faith in Christ and His finished work, in His death, burial, and resurrection for you?

"For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

"And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come."

This is your examination! The Lord's Supper is the time for you to reflect on what your faith is made of! The broken body of Christ crucified for your sins, the cup of His Blood shed for your forgiveness of sins.

The next time you have the Lord's Supper in your Church, Examine yourself, whether you are in the faith!

How do you know for certain you have the right faith? How do you know you have a true living faith and not merely a mental belief?

Everyone who claims the Name of Christ needs to be able to answer this question, and not for others, not to sound more spiritual, or mystical, or some other reason. We need to know for ourselves. Do I have the testimony of the Holy Spirit? Is Jesus truly living in me?

Examine yourself.

Paul says this in the face of those who demanded of him the proof of his apostleship. Focusing on others is an often used means for people to avoid looking at themselves.

He tells us, if we are not rejected, we'll know Jesus is in us, and we will then hopefully know when Jesus is in others.

Much love!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you know for certain you have the right faith? How do you know you have a true living faith and not merely a mental belief?

Much love!

Faith is a matter of the heart, as Paul said. It is with the heart that man believes unto righteousness.

I believed the Gospel of Jesus Christ when I heard it, the rest is by faith, believing the promise of God.

God has called us by faith, we must trust Him through faith. That is all the assurance we have.

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

But you haven't included the "examine yourself" verse, and that will change the outcome of this conversation.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you haven't included the "examine yourself" verse, and that will change the outcome of this conversation.

The examination of our faith is based on the Lord's Supper. There are many examinations found in Scripture but this one is directly toward our faith in the proper object, Christ crucified for the sins of man.

Immediately after Paul gave us the Lord's Supper in Scripture, which I posted in the OP. Paul gives us 1 Cor. 11:28

"But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup."

I should have posted this but didn't realize this would get technical!

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The examination of our faith is based on the Lord's Supper. There are many examinations found in Scripture but this one is directly toward our faith in the proper object, Christ crucified for the sins of man.

Immediately after Paul gave us the Lord's Supper in Scripture, which I posted in the OP. Paul gives us 1 Cor. 11:28

"But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup."

I should have posted this but didn't realize this would get technical!

And why did Paul give that statement?
Was it for basic general doctrine verification?
Or where they eating gultenously and getting drunk at "the Lords table"?

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And why did Paul give that statement?
Was it for basic general doctrine verification?
Or where they eating gultenously and getting drunk at "the Lords table"?

Paul corrected them on the Lord's Supper and gave them the purpose of it.

Which is what I posted in the OP.

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Paul corrected them on the Lord's Supper and gave them the purpose of it.

Which is what I posted in the OP.

So "examine yourselves" relates only to the behaviour and motives behind the meal.
Where would be the scriptural basis to extend it outwards to making sure your faith is 100%?
Or is the point you are making escaping me?

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So "examine yourselves" relates only to the behaviour and motives behind the meal.
Where would be the scriptural basis to extend it outwards to making sure your faith is 100%?
Or is the point you are making escaping me?

What did Paul point to as the object of faith pertaining to the Lord's Supper?

Were there multiple objects of faith, or did he pinpoint a particular event for our faith?

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What did Paul point to as the object of faith pertaining to the Lord's Supper?

Were there multiple objects of faith, or did he pinpoint a particular event for our faith?

Not my area of study... so I will assume your questions are rhetorical.
And you didn't answer what your point was so I would know if I am off base or not.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not my area of study... so I will assume your questions are rhetorical.
And you didn't answer what your point was so I would know if I am off base or not.

I assume you are not capable of understanding or you don't want to understand!

Either way my explaining is entering deaf ears!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
In 1 Cor. 11.26 we look back to the Cross and forward to His coming: what we profess in the Lord's Supper centres around these solemn and glorious events: so it should never be done carelessly or by rote.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you haven't explained anything.

And I'm not going to explain anything to you! I've read several of your posts on these forums.

I sense a rejection of sound doctrine from you, David, and I call into question your motives on these boards!

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And I'm not going to explain anything to you! I've read several of your posts on these forums.

I sense a rejection of sound doctrine from you, David, and I call into question your motives on these boards!

Then maybe you should ask some questions of me that would quell your anxieties.

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm pretty sure I don't need to!

So you prejudge people before getting to know them.
Maybe I am just a loose piece of iron that is trying to sharpen your arguments...
Maybe I really don't understand your point...
Maybe I agree and just want to refine your arguments...

But I am bad because.... Why?

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you prejudge people before getting to know them.
Maybe I am just a loose piece of iron that is trying to sharpen your arguments...
Maybe I really don't understand your point...
Maybe I agree and just want to refine your arguments...

But I am bad because.... Why?

Or maybe you are just contrary to the Word of God and some of us can plainly see it.

David Boyer

Aug 27, 2022
Moncton,NB
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Or maybe you are just contrary to the Word of God and some of us can plainly see it.

Well would it not be your responsibility to point it out to me?
I invite you to do just that.
Please show me where I am contrary to the Word of God.
If you can plainly see it, and I can not... it would be your Christian duty to show me.
Honestly.... try me and see.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well would it not be your responsibility to point it out to me?
I invite you to do just that.
Please show me where I am contrary to the Word of God.
If you can plainly see it, and I can not... it would be your Christian duty to show me.
Honestly.... try me and see.

My Christian duty is to help those who want to see, I can't help those who choose not to see.