Exercising the Spiritual muscle and growing stronger in Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A thread for edifying one another and encouragement.

Many of us have that urge to grow more spiritually in Christ, the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak, but when we give God a bit of time, we really can get stuck in, because as Christians, that's what our spiritual nature really wants to do.

Being honest, I personally admit that I need spend more time with God these days, I am very happy to have given Him a couple of hours or 3 today, some silence in the presense of God, prayer, praying in English and in tongues, reading the Bible, read the crucifixiation today in the book of Matthew, and plan to read about the tombstone being rolled away and resurrection on Easter Sunday, watching/listening to a couple of Good Friday services, it was good.

So I would like to hear from you guys, what do you personally do to grow spiritually in Christ? And what would you encourage others to do? Perhaps you like reading other Spirit-filled books, testimonies or maybe you like soaking in the presence of God a lot. Feel free to share. :D

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Many of us have that urge to grow more spiritually in Christ, the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak, but when we give God a bit of time, we really can get stuck in, because as Christians, that's what our spiritual nature really wants to do.

Being honest, I personally admit that I need spend more time with God these days, I am very happy to have given Him a couple of hours or 3 today, some silence in the presense of God, prayer, praying in English and in tongues, reading the Bible, read the crucifixiation today in the book of Matthew, and plan to read about the tombstone being rolled away and resurrection on Easter Sunday, watching/listening to a couple of Good Friday services, it was good.

So I would like to hear from you guys, what do you personally do to grow spiritually in Christ? And what would you encourage others to do? Perhaps you like reading other Spirit-filled books, testimonies or maybe you like soaking in the presence of God a lot. Feel free to share. :D
Thanks for this good word on this special day, Good Friday. We need to remember what Jesus Christ did for us. He suffered far more than we can imagine! I usually spend time reading about the Passion in the Gospels.

Just one question. What does "we really get stuck in" mean? Must be Aussie jargon, lol.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thanks for this good word on this special day, Good Friday. We need to remember what Jesus Christ did for us. He suffered far more than we can imagine! I usually spend time reading about the Passion in the Gospels.

Just one question. What does "we really get stuck in" mean? Must be Aussie jargon, lol.

In this case what I mean by "stuck in" is I do not want this movie to end or I do not want do not want this book to end, you are enjoying it so much that you do not want to leave. Like basically it has really captured your interest and you don't want to stop.

When you are spending a bit of time with God, it's a feeling of I am enjoying time with God so much, it has really captured my interest, that I just want to keep going, I do not want to stop.

That's what I mean, you may have heard of other Christians saying you start of at 5 minutes, then you may spend 10 minutes the next day, then you may spend an hour a few days later with God. Spending a little time makes you want more.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In this case what I mean by "stuck in" is I do not want this movie to end or I do not want do not want this book to end, you are enjoying it so much that you do not want to leave. Like basically it has really captured your interest and you don't want to stop.

When you are spending a bit of time with God, it's a feeling of I am enjoying time with God so much, it has really captured my interest, that I just want to keep going, I do not want to stop.

That's what I mean, you may have heard of other Christians saying you start of at 5 minutes, then you may spend 10 minutes the next day, then you may spend an hour a few days later with God. Spending a little time makes you want more.
Thanks for the lesson in Aussie talk. :) And yes, spending time with the Lord makes me want to spend more time with Him.

Reactions: Josho

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I try to do the Daily Office from my Churches website, note I try :). It was easy when I was riding the bus, I could get it all done before I got to work. It is here if anyone wants to do it Daily Prayer. Since this is Holy Week me and my wife are watching a services from our Bishop's live streaming.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I try to do the Daily Office from my Churches website, note I try :). It was easy when I was riding the bus, I could get it all done before I got to work. It is here if anyone wants to do it Daily Prayer. Since this is Holy Week me and my wife are watching a services from our Bishop's live streaming.

Do you type these up for your services? I haven't finished reading yet.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My growth came from a hunger for His truth.
I would pray before I read the Bible...I would first ask for forgiveness of any sin, ask the Holy Spirit to prepare my heart to receive His Word and to open my eyes to see and ears to hear, then I would ask the Holy Spirit for any special reading for the that day along with continuing in whatever Book I was reading at that time......then after reading I would ask the Holy Spirit to seal that Word in my heart on fertile ground and don't let Satan steal it and then I would give Him Praise for His Word and for increasing my wisdom, knowledge and understanding of His Truth.
I also would seek Him in prayer....seeking to know Him heart, His mind, His will, His hidden wisdom.....and it wasn't a one way prayer...after I prayed I would listen while He spoke in return.
Spiritual growth is growing IN Him and Him in us....so the more we fellowship with Him the more we begin to think like He does, will have His heart of love and compassion, and the more we learn to become humble.
That's how I grew....next.;)

R

Rita

‘ Getting stuck in ‘ is an English expression as well xx
I downloaded a study book onto my iPad yesterday ‘ seeing Jesus in the OT ‘ it’s fascinating, and making me look at a lot of OT passage with fresh eyes - which just inspires me so much. It’s only in the last few years that I have really started to see Jesus so much through the OT, not quite sure why I had not noticed it over the years - oh I saw quotes and predictions about him, but didn’t actually see ‘ HIM ‘
One thing I didn’t see before was that grace was given long before the law - the people of Israel were saved and redeemed before the law was given, I have always had different views on the laws, and in many respects this confirms what I came to realise years ago, not going to go into it further as so many people have so many views on it - it just goes round and round. So it’s been a day of seeing things afresh ......always a positive x
Rita

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So I would like to hear from you guys, what do you personally do to grow spiritually in Christ? And what would you encourage others to do? Perhaps you like reading other Spirit-filled books, testimonies or maybe you like soaking in the presence of God a lot.
I seem to be going through a dry season right now and apart from my daily devotional and short time of prayer I don't feel able to do much else. Although throughout the day I am constantly thinking about the current situation and offering up short prayers. But I love those time when I am in a different season when I can spend quality time with God.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I seem to be going through a dry season right now and apart from my daily devotional and short time of prayer I don't feel able to do much else. Although throughout the day I am constantly thinking about the current situation and offering up short prayers. But I love those time when I am in a different season when I can spend quality time with God.
Times of refreshing are here! Get ready to get the Fire anointing from the Holy Spirit because this outpour will be the greatest of all!

Reactions: Pearl

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
‘ Getting stuck in ‘ is an English expression as well xx
I downloaded a study book onto my iPad yesterday ‘ seeing Jesus in the OT ‘ it’s fascinating, and making me look at a lot of OT passage with fresh eyes - which just inspires me so much. It’s only in the last few years that I have really started to see Jesus so much through the OT, not quite sure why I had not noticed it over the years - oh I saw quotes and predictions about him, but didn’t actually see ‘ HIM ‘
One thing I didn’t see before was that grace was given long before the law - the people of Israel were saved and redeemed before the law was given, I have always had different views on the laws, and in many respects this confirms what I came to realise years ago, not going to go into it further as so many people have so many views on it - it just goes round and round. So it’s been a day of seeing things afresh ......always a positive x
Rita

Hmm, when we read the Old Testament carefully there is a lot of stuff we can see Jesus in or stuff that we can relate Jesus too. Whether it's Creation, whether it's Moses striking the rock and water coming out, whether it's the Red Sea being parted (Zach Williams has a fantastic verse about this in the song "No Longer Slaves"), whether it's the tabernacle, we can also see Jesus heaps in the book of Psalms.

Reactions: Rita and Heart2Soul

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I first got Spirit-filled (2/9/77) and basically got an overdose of His power overnight, I kept growing exponentially in faith and hearing His voice to the point of I never prayed except after He told me what to pray, I would repeat His words, and the prayer would come to pass immediately. I thought all Spirit-filled people lived this way. It had become my natural state of being. I was in a huge church, so when I would receive a vision in service, during a song or something when everyone was standing, I would sneak up front and tell my pastor, Dr. Jack Hayford, the vision and what it meant, and then he would give the message to the church. It is now 43 years later, and I'm still hungry for more.

As we are growing closer and closer to the end, the church is getting drenched in stronger outpourings of the Spirit. I call this new outpouring the glory movement. Things are happening that I've never heard of before except in the Bible, let alone experienced, but it is there for those who really love to spend hours upon hours in the presence of the Lord. Are you willing? Am I?

If you want to read a book that may test your believability and bring you to your knees in humility try this book. It is not for the nominal lukewarm Christian, nor for carnal scoffers who will most definitely commit willful sins of unbelief. But if you've reached your peak in the area of the supernatural gifts of God, and are still hungry...

It is the first book of this man I've read, but it has made me want to graduate from "School of the Supernatural." It is by Michael Van Vlymen. (There are other books of the same title so check by author.) Edit: I just bought two more of his books. And I want to read this one again and again.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When I first got Spirit-filled (2/9/77) and basically got an overdose of His power overnight, I kept growing exponentially in faith and hearing His voice to the point of I never prayed except after He told me what to pray, I would repeat His words, and the prayer would come to pass immediately. I thought all Spirit-filled people lived this way. It had become my natural state of being. I was in a huge church, so when I would receive a vision in service, during a song or something when everyone was standing, I would sneak up front and tell my pastor, Dr. Jack Hayford, the vision and what it meant, and then he would give the message to the church. It is now 43 years later, and I'm still hungry for more.

As we are growing closer and closer to the end, the church is getting drenched in stronger outpourings of the Spirit. I call this new outpouring the glory movement. Things are happening that I've never heard of before except in the Bible, let alone experienced, but it is there for those who really love to spend hours upon hours in the presence of the Lord. Are you willing? Am I?

If you want to read a book that may test your believability and bring you to your knees in humility try this book. It is not for the nominal lukewarm Christian, nor for carnal scoffers who will most definitely commit willful sins of unbelief. But if you've reached your peak in the area of the supernatural gifts of God, and are still hungry...

It is the first book of this man I've read, but it has made me want to graduate from "School of the Supernatural." It is by Michael Van Vlymen. (There are other books of the same title so check by author.)

s-l1600.jpg

That's great to hear, thanks for sharing. It would be great if more Christians could hear His voice clearly more often and that's really awesome that it happened so suddenly after you were Spirit-filled.

Lolz I even wish I could hear the audible voice of God as easily as you do, God does communicate through different ways though, whether it be through dreams, vision, he can even communicate through the heart, the written word of God, and audibly as you say.

I think it's up to us though to tune into the voice of God, I believe every born again Spirit-Filled believer in capable of hearing God's voice.

I believe I heard the audible voice once, when I was praying for God to help me pass my apprenticeship, I remember hearing the words "I Know" whispered into my ears.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's great to hear, thanks for sharing. It would be great if more Christians could hear His voice clearly more often and that's really awesome that it happened so suddenly after you were Spirit-filled.

Lolz I even wish I could hear the audible voice of God as easily as you do, God does communicate through different ways though, whether it be through dreams, vision, he can even communicate through the heart, the written word of God, and audibly as you say.

I think it's up to us though to tune into the voice of God, I believe every born again Spirit-Filled believer in capable of hearing God's voice.

I believe I heard the audible voice once, when I was praying for God to help me pass my apprenticeship, I remember hearing the words "I Know" whispered into my ears.

If God has to use an audible voice He's not inside. I hear him clearly without my ears. They are thoughts that come in a sentence, or even just one word, but with a word of knowledge or wisdom or prophecy following. But they are from inside me where He dwells. He has trained me to recognize His voice in this way, and whatever He has said, comes to pass.

Reactions: amadeus and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That is what I believe. To pray God's will we first have to find out what that is. And being able to share a vision or a word with the church builds us up in faith. Also I learned to ask him questions which he always answers.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@CharismaticLady @Pearl
Sorry to assume it was the audible voice you heard haha, as I said though only once from memory for me, I have heard it that way, I do believe he can speak this way if He is living inside you though, we gotta remember the Father in Heaven, I don't think we can limit God in the ways God can speak to us, there are many ways he can communicate.
-----------

He has also used other ways to communicating to me, there is the peace of God that led me to buy a block of land and 2 cars, the peace of God filled me in all 3 of those situations, even filling my legs with peace, it's a peace like no other.

Last edited:

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Waiting on the Lord' is my favorite..
Isaiah 40:31
- Especially during the time of 'challenges, spiritual breakthrough..etc.'
---
Helpful books..
- 'Waiting on God'
Andrew Murray
- 'Waiting on God: Spending Time in His Presence, Silence & Expectation'
Michael Van Vlymen ( mentioned on post #13 )

Blessings,

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is what I believe. To pray God's will we first have to find out what that is. And being able to share a vision or a word with the church builds us up in faith. Also I learned to ask him questions which he always answers.

Yes, I agree. Questions are different from prayers that I have to wait on the Lord. It is conversation. I remember thinking about the word "sanctification" and that it is being set apart. The church seems to believe it is a process of overcoming sin. But once I came to realize that the desire to sin is taken away when I was born again that night I was filled to overflowing with the Spirit, this so called process of overcoming sin wasn't true for me. I realized that justification of your past sins, and being sanctified are back to back at the same time. But I have felt a "process" since that night. So I asked God, if this process isn't called sanctification, what is it called. And immediately He spoke one word - "glorification." Suddenly it all fell into place. We are given the mind of Christ - and He is glorified. 2 Peter 1 says we become partakers of the divine nature - again of God. God wants to bring us back to the beginning when we were made in His likeness.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If God has to use an audible voice He's not inside. I hear him clearly without my ears. They are thoughts that come in a sentence, or even just one word, but with a word of knowledge or wisdom or prophecy following. But they are from inside me where He dwells. He has trained me to recognize His voice in this way, and whatever He has said, comes to pass.
This is why I dislike 'teaching' on 'how to pray'. Being taught the various ways people say you should pray can be inhibiting. And I used to feel inadequate listening to the long and eloquent prayers of some church members. Now I just pray as I'm led.