Exodus 10, Has me wondering

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KLeft

Jan 27, 2008
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Then the LORD said to Moses, “Go to Pharaoh, for I have hardened his heart and the hearts of his officials so that I may perform these signs of mine among them

Why God would harden someone's heart, and what keeps us from being another tool? Are we all loved, or not? I know there is something there I am missing can you please help me with this?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Then the LORD said to Moses, “Go to Pharaoh, for I have hardened his heart and the hearts of his officials so that I may perform these signs of mine among them

Why God would harden someone's heart, and what keeps us from being another tool? Are we all loved, or not? I know there is something there I am missing can you please help me with this?
Have a look at Romans 9:

Romans 9:17-18 KJV
For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. [18] Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy , and whom he will he hardeneth.

Reactions: Richard_oti

KLeft

Jan 27, 2008
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it not Faith alone, By grace alone? That really didn't answer my question.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God hardened Pharaoh's heart because he wanted Pharaoh to contend with Him so that He could show His power before all Israel. The answer is already given in the verse you cited. See also (Ex. 11:9-10).

So, you understand why God did it. You just don't know if you want to believe it? Correct? I mean, Scripture is clear as to why He did it.

In your question, "what keeps us from being another tool? Are we all loved, or not?", who is 'us' and 'we'?

Stranger

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you read verses 17-18? I see a direct answer to the questuon, and its pretty much the same thing Stranger said. God raised Pharaoh up so he could show his power.

Its not the only time God did this. In John 9 he let a man be blind from birth just so he could work a miracle for him.

He also let Joseph the son of Jacob go through a lot of horrible things, including his brothers the Patriarchs betraying him out of jeleousy. Joseph said you meant it for harm, but God meant it for good (Gen 50:20).

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 9:13-24 "As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated. What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid. For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy. For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth. Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will? Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus? Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour? What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction: And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?".

peace in Christ Jesus.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Pharaoh feared the plagues more than he feared God. His contempt for the Lord was still there.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There is the right hand of God and the left hand of God. We really do need to stay on the right. Pharaoh is a good example of the left:

"And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:" Matt 25:32-34

"Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:" Matt 25:41

Read the other lines from Matt 25 that I did not quote to understand the picture better. There is more to it than that but this will get you started toward a better understanding... Praying when you read is also essential.

Pharaoh was already condemned. God did not turn the man aside. The man had done that to himself already. God simply bent the man who was already evil to accomplish God's purpose with the children of Israel.

God may and does use evil men to accomplish the things which men have brought upon themselves. This is the left hand of God.

If we do not work with God [His Right Hand], we may well finding ourselves working for Him [His left hand] without knowing that that is what we are doing.

Reactions: pia

KLeft

Jan 27, 2008
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We being me, and anyone else wondering but too afraid to ask. My question was, how can "I" be sure I am not just a tool, or the one who is told to depart? Isn't faith alone, by his Grace alone enough. I know Pharaoh didn't have faith, but the others who cast out in the name of the Lord's name," the departed," what separates us? Just looking for truthful answers from someone who cares for the lost, and looking.
Pharaoh feared the plagues more than he feared God. His contempt for the Lord was still there.
Thank you so very much. That is what I was needing to reconfirm my opinion, but not wanting to be deceived by the enemy in my own false thinking.

Reactions: Richard_oti and Job

tooldtocare

Jan 24, 2014
far side of the moon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
EXODUS 2
And it came to pass in those days, when Moses was grown, that he went out to his brothers, and looked on their burdens: and he spied an Egyptian smiting an Hebrew, one of his brothers. And he looked this way and that way, and when he saw that there was no man, he slew the Egyptian, and hid him in the sand. And when he went out the second day, behold, two men of the Hebrews strove together: and he said to him that did the wrong, Why smite you your fellow?
Now when Pharaoh heard this thing, he sought to slay Moses. But Moses fled from the face of Pharaoh, and dwelled in the land of Midian: and he sat down by a well.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thank you so very much. That is what I was needing to reconfirm my opinion, but not wanting to be deceived by the enemy in my own false thinking.

Well I am of the belief and I may stand alone...but I have believed for years that we ( Gods people) can only be deceived if there is something deep within us that wants to. ( ie not wanting to believe something God has said to them..)
There was something in Eve, who wanted something that she knew deep down that God had already spoken on that issue. ...but she went ahead anyway.
If your heart is not rebelling against God about some issue, you will be kept.
Remember...Jesus said to Peter... " I have prayed for you that your faith fails not.." He does want any less for us! :)

Reactions: pia

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
PS I believe that Pharaoh's heart was hard ( or he would have had a change of heart) God just hardened it further!!

Reactions: amadeus

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It is important to start with: we are all a fallen people.

Then, also, it is good to understand what the world is...it is the manifestation of things on high, both the good and the evil. The parable of the wheat and the tares is perhaps the best explanation.

But God is God, and from that beginning point - everything is worked together for good for those who love Him.

The rest suffer justice.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We being me, and anyone else wondering but too afraid to ask. My question was, how can "I" be sure I am not just a tool, or the one who is told to depart? Isn't faith alone, by his Grace alone enough. I know Pharaoh didn't have faith, but the others who cast out in the name of the Lord's name," the departed," what separates us? Just looking for truthful answers from someone who cares for the lost, and looking.

Have you found an answer to your question? Are you satisfied with the answer? Another puzzling verse is:

Revelation 17:17 KJV
[17] For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.

You can either rest in that you have found the answer that lines up with what you already think...or you can keep asking God to show you His truth and His will. You are not wrong to ask these questions... I have had the same questions as I am sure others have also. Are we a tool? Why are we chosen and not others? What if you were one like Judas; given over to Satan to accomplish the will of God? A verse that I rest in:

Luke 3:4-6 KJV
[4] As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. [5] Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low; and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways shall be made smooth; [6] And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.

...All flesh shall see the salvation of God.

I am not really sure what it truly means but it tells me this: God is fair and just.

Acts 10:34 KJV
[34] Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

Everyone has the same opportunity to accept Salvation. Luke 3 tells me to not Judge God as unmerciful with questions such as: what about that person or that one; have they had the same opportunity to see? Yes...He has said...all flesh shall see the salvation of God. Whether they accept it or not, only God knows.

Luke 3 also tells us: every valley shall be filled and every mountain will be brought low...everything that sets itself above God: kingdom or man; will be brought low. Every low place will be filled. I must add: if every mountain and hill is brought low and every valley filled...what do you have?

Last edited:
Reactions: KLeft

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you found an answer to your question? Are you satisfied with the answer? Another puzzling verse is:

Revelation 17:17 KJV
[17] For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.

You can either rest in that you have found the answer that lines up with what you already think...or you can keep asking God to show you His truth and His will. You are not wrong to ask these questions... I have had the same questions as I am sure others have also. Are we a tool? Why are we chosen and not others? What if you were one like Judas; given over to Satan to accomplish the will of God? A verse that I rest in:

Luke 3:4-6 KJV
[4] As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. [5] Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low; and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways shall be made smooth; [6] And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.

...All flesh shall see the salvation of God.

I am not really sure what it truly means but it tells me this: God is fair and just.

Acts 10:34 KJV
[34] Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

Everyone has the same opportunity to accept Salvation. Luke 3 tells me to not Judge God as unmerciful with questions such as: what about that person or that one; have they had the same opportunity to see? Yes...He has said...all flesh shall see the salvation of God. Whether they accept it or not, only God knows.

Luke 3 also tells us: every valley shall be filled and every mountain will be brought low...everything that sets itself above God: kingdom or man; will be brought low. Every low place will be filled.

When I question God, it seems good to remember these verses:

From Romans 9:
14. What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? Certainly not! 15. For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.” 16. So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy.

19. You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?” 20. But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?”

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God's dealings with Pharaoh is often incorrectly understood to mean that God arbitrarily hardens the heart of individuals according to his for ordained purpose, without regard for the individuals prior inclination, or heart attitude. God permitted Pharaoh to harden his own heart--- spared him--- gave him the opportunity, the occasion, of working out the wickedness that was in him. That is all.

Reactions: bbyrd009

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

"And Yahweh said unto Moses, Go in unto Pharaoh; for I have hardened his heart" — The word for "hardened" is kabed, "to make dull; burdensome" It suggests the natural characteristic of Pharaoh, and because of his dullness, Moses was commanded to interview him once more.

Again:

Go in unto Pharaoh, for I have hardened his heart. The word “I” is expressed in the original and is emphatic. It is not merely that Pharaoh has hardened himself (ch. Exodus 9:34); but I have “dulled” or “hardened” him. i.e by the circumstances I (God) have engineered he has become unresponsive to my Word. Therefore condescend to see him once more, and to bear my message to him.

The OP may have misunderstood the context and forced an interpretation which is not present.

F2F

Pharaoh heart becomes unresponsive and indifferent so why does God tolerate it? [1] That He might reveal His signs before him and all the world; [2] That future generations of Israelites might recall His power and never forget the amazing deliverance thus effected.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
God's dealings with Pharaoh is often incorrectly understood to mean that God arbitrarily hardens the heart of individuals according to his for ordained purpose, without regard for the individuals prior inclination, or heart attitude. God permitted Pharaoh to harden his own heart--- spared him--- gave him the opportunity, the occasion, of working out the wickedness that was in him. That is all.
imo a statement is made about human intercessors there too, but nice.

God loved the Egyptians too, i guess