Explaining Jesus' Prophecy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

manichunter

Jun 2, 2008
Lets get the upfront stuff out of the way first. I am not advocating that anyone else practice my spiritual convictions. I do not denounce anyone else's spiritual convictions. I do not consider any saints heretical or false for having different convictions. I am not trying to have the same debates over this day. I want to understand what Jesus meant and implied by this Scripture. I have esteemed this day as Holy since 1997. Hence, I am still a novice in practice and knowledge of its truth. Therefore, I seek to learn from a mature discussion. I still worship on Sunday or any other day our congregation meets. However, I want to know more so I have studied. Here is my research summed up so far. I begin with Matt 24:20-24 20And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. 21For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect's sake those days will be shortened. Jesus is speaking about the period associated with the end time tribulation regarding this specific text. He mentions the Sabbath in a future sense that exceeds His ressurection. Basically, He refers to the Sabbath as if it is suppose to be around even in the end times. He speakes of a time like no other and shall never be. How is the Sabbath associated with this end times tribulation?He places relevance upon it as to separate and distinquise it from other days. He does not mention any other day as relevant. He associates it with winter. Why? It would be a hardship to travel during winter as opposed to the other seasons. He associates it with prayer. Why? It would be seen as spiritually interrupting a Moad between both God and believer. I guessed to both of these.When was the Sabbath actually done away with in a collective sense. It was around the time of the 4th century A.D. A few gentile apologist and the Roman Emperor spoke against it and its observance. It ultimately did not go away by Scriptural study or apostolic authority. It went away by what was taught to the masses post 3rd century and the oppression of others that still observed it. Sunday became the traditional day of mass worship by what was taught post 3rd century.Help me make sense of this Scripture in light of today's prominent teaching that believers should not observe and regard the Sabbath. I believe the text means that the Sabbath has not been done away with. I also cannot find any Scriptural commanded telling me to not observe it. I want spirit and truth; not traditions. Traditions can and have been wrong. I want to see if there is any other interpretation or teaching regarding the Scripture. I have heard that this was a twofold revelation and that He was not speaking literally. I don't think those explanations make sense.

jtartar

Mar 14, 2008
(manichunter;55870)
Lets get the upfront stuff out of the way first. I am not advocating that anyone else practice my spiritual convictions. I do not denounce anyone else's spiritual convictions. I do not consider any saints heretical or false for having different convictions. I am not trying to have the same debates over this day. I want to understand what Jesus meant and implied by this Scripture. I have esteemed this day as Holy since 1997. Hence, I am still a novice in practice and knowledge of its truth. Therefore, I seek to learn from a mature discussion. I still worship on Sunday or any other day our congregation meets. However, I want to know more so I have studied. Here is my research summed up so far. I begin with Matt 24:20-24 20And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. 21For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect's sake those days will be shortened. Jesus is speaking about the period associated with the end time tribulation regarding this specific text. He mentions the Sabbath in a future sense that exceeds His ressurection. Basically, He refers to the Sabbath as if it is suppose to be around even in the end times. He speakes of a time like no other and shall never be. How is the Sabbath associated with this end times tribulation?He places relevance upon it as to separate and distinquise it from other days. He does not mention any other day as relevant. He associates it with winter. Why? It would be a hardship to travel during winter as opposed to the other seasons. He associates it with prayer. Why? It would be seen as spiritually interrupting a Moad between both God and believer. I guessed to both of these.When was the Sabbath actually done away with in a collective sense. It was around the time of the 4th century A.D. A few gentile apologist and the Roman Emperor spoke against it and its observance. It ultimately did not go away by Scriptural study or apostolic authority. It went away by what was taught to the masses post 3rd century and the oppression of others that still observed it. Sunday became the traditional day of mass worship by what was taught post 3rd century.Help me make sense of this Scripture in light of today's prominent teaching that believers should not observe and regard the Sabbath. I believe the text means that the Sabbath has not been done away with. I also cannot find any Scriptural commanded telling me to not observe it. I want spirit and truth; not traditions. Traditions can and have been wrong. I want to see if there is any other interpretation or teaching regarding the Scripture. I have heard that this was a twofold revelation and that He was not speaking literally. I don't think those explanations make sense.
manichunter, The whole subject here discussed starts at Matt 24:15, the disgusting thing causing desolation. This was the Roman armies that actually went onto the Holy ground of the Temple. The Romans destroyed Jerusalem in 70CE and this ended the Jewish system of things. Jesus had warned his disciple to get out of Jerusalem and run to the mountains. When the Jews had an uprising against the Romans Cestius Gallus came with his armies, in 66CE, and laid siege against Jerusalem. They had broken down the walls and had undermined the walls of the Temple. Then, for no apparant reason the withdrew from Jerusalem. The Christians then had the opportunity to go from the city to the mountains. In 70CE the Roman armies, unter Titus came again and destroyed Jerusalem. When the destroyed Jerusalem the Romans also destroyed all the geneological records of the Jews. They could no longer prove what tribe they were from. This ended the Priesthood, becdause only fron the tribe of Levi were Priests to come. It was almos 200 years before Jews were allowed back in Jerusalem. The Jews still observe Saturday as the Sabbath, as this was the original day of the Sabbath. Later on the Christians started to observe Sunday as the Sabbath. In verses 211,22 the scriptures are speaking about the great tribulation the Romans brought on the nation of Jerusalem and Judah. If General Cestius Gallus had not left Jerusalem thered would have been no flesh left alive. When Gallus left it gave the Christians the opportunity to escape. Some of the scriptures here apply to us living now. We are also to experience a great tribulation, Matt 24:29. The Great Tribualtion of that will begin very shortly will be divided into two parts. The first part will be when the disgusting thing of today attacks religion, Rev 17:16-18. The disgusting thing of today is the United Nations, which will attack religion, and destroy all false rteligion, Rev 17:16-18. Right after that the United Nations will attack true religion. This will cause God to bring on Armageddon, which will put anend to this system of things. Right after that Jesus will estabolish the Messianic Kingdom on earth, which will bring paradise conditions, Rev 19:11-21, Rev 21:1-4.