Explaining the right hand of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

45 minutes; information about the right hand of God.

Have you ever wondered about this topic? This video is very informative.

Reactions: amadeus

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It is quite simple Matt, it means basically what it does for men, a right hand man is #2 in authority. It is position. Jesus is God's right hand man, #2 in heavenly authority 1 Cor 11:3

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes that’s right Robert but all being at the right hand is gone and over now. God is all and all in which the Lord Jesus Christ becomes the Lord God Almighty.Once every last enemy was placed under his feet and the last to be destroyed was death. Jesus overcame sin,Satan,grave,Sheol/hell, the world, and Death.

tsr

Feb 2, 2021
04/20/47
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The right hand of God likewise relates to this concept of someone being right next to God, acknowledging both authority and closeness to Him. While God the Father does not consist of a physical body like humans do, the right hand of God is often used figuratively in Scripture. In the Old Testament, the phrase is used to refer to the coming Messiah.

Reactions: MatthewG

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
The right hand is used for wielding a sword. A right hand man is trusted with defending a ruler from a position where they would be able to betray them if they wanted to by restraining the sword arm.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes that’s right Robert but all being at the right hand is gone and over now. God is all and all in which the Lord Jesus Christ becomes the Lord God Almighty.Once every last enemy was placed under his feet and the last to be destroyed was death. Jesus overcame sin,Satan,grave,Sheol/hell, the world, and Death.
This is not biblical at all. The last enemy to be destroyed means the end of death -- no more death on earth. And that has not happened. Only after death is metaphorically cast into the Lake of Fire is there an end of death. And immediately after that the New Heavens and the New Earth are established.

Also when the Bible says that Jesus is seated at the right hand of God, that is not merely metaphorical. It is a heavenly FACT. And all His enemies have not been put metaphorically under His feet. That will happen only after the Second Coming of Christ, when Christ destroys all His enemies, and the unholy trinity is cast into the Lake of Fire.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can believe that if you want to. That is fine with me: @Enoch111

I believe that Jesus Christ had had placed all enemies beneath his feet; and the last enemy to be destroyed was death ( 1 Corinthians 15:26 And the last enemy to be destroyed is death.) ; Do you believe that Jesus Christ had victory over death? I believe that victory is over spiritual death; in which all people who choose to believe and follow Christ Jesus are rescued from darkness and brought into the light of the kingdom of Gods son.

(At this point in my life; my theology is not really a concern anymore and do not believe it needs corrected anymore unless God corrects me on something.) (No I do not know everything but have a good reign on the understanding.)

People can believe what is being said or reject it; it is totally up to them; and people should check the bible to see if my claim about what is being said are true or if they are false and many people have a problem with accepting that the Lord Jesus Christ has already returned in 70ad.

It is quite simple Matt, it means basically what it does for men, a right hand man is #2 in authority. It is position. Jesus is God's right hand man, #2 in heavenly authority 1 Cor 11:3

The right hand of God likewise relates to this concept of someone being right next to God, acknowledging both authority and closeness to Him. While God the Father does not consist of a physical body like humans do, the right hand of God is often used figuratively in Scripture. In the Old Testament, the phrase is used to refer to the coming Messiah.

The right hand is used for wielding a sword. A right hand man is trusted with defending a ruler from a position where they would be able to betray them if they wanted to by restraining the sword arm.

Thank you all for your contribution on this thread.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@MatthewG Just a few verses and comments for consideration in the subject:

"And Joseph took them both, Ephraim in his right hand toward Israel's left hand, and Manasseh in his left hand toward Israel's right hand, and brought them near unto him.
And Israel stretched out his right hand, and laid it upon Ephraim's head, who was the younger, and his left hand upon Manasseh's head, guiding his hands wittingly; for Manasseh was the firstborn." Gen 48:13-14

The first born should have had the right hand laid of his head, but notice that Israel wittingly put his right hand on the head of the second born. This simply means that God knows what we are and what we are to be. That is which is expected may be reversed because of circumstances or some special part of God's plan.

"And the priest shall take some of the blood of the trespass offering, and the priest shall put it upon the tip of the right ear of him that is to be cleansed, and upon the thumb of his right hand, and upon the great toe of his right foot:" Lev 14:14

"Thy right hand, O LORD, is become glorious in power: thy right hand, O LORD, hath dashed in pieces the enemy." Ex 15:6

"And this is the blessing, wherewith Moses the man of God blessed the children of Israel before his death.

And he said, The LORD came from Sinai, and rose up from Seir unto them; he shined forth from mount Paran, and he came with ten thousands of saints: from his right hand went a fiery law for them." Deut 33:1-2

So who is this right hand of God or the One at the right hand of God?

"But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,
And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God." Acts 7:55-56

"A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left." Ecc 10:2

"And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?" Jonah 4:11

"But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly." Matt 6:3-4

And where or what is the left hand of God?

"And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:" Matt 25:32-34

"Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:" Matt 25:41

There many other scriptures, especially in the OT regarding the hand of God. The right hand is often specified and is easy to see, while the left hand may not be so clear. The above quoted verses from Matt 25:32-41 are the best ones for seeing what the end results for each is to be. We really do not want to be the left hand of God or end up as one of the goats. God uses goats for curses and perhaps chastisements whereas He uses sheep for give and as well as to receive: But 100% better to working as a sheep.

Consider that Moses was working from or as the right hand of God, while, Pharaoh was working from or as the left hand of God. God will use whoever makes themselves available to accomplish His work. He did not make Pharaoh a goat. Pharaoh did that to himself and God uses that man's choice to accomplish the negative aspects of His plan.

Consider these words of Jesus:

"Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!
Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire." Matt 18:7-8

The man by whom the offence comes is the one who put himself in place to do the left hand work of God. How long should a man remain double minded, working first with God [the right hand], but then also at times working for God [the left hand]. We [believers] don't usually [if ever] consciously work for God as his left hand, but He uses that which is available to do that which needs to be done. Sometimes curses are necessary because of what a person did or did not do.

"A double minded man is unstable in all his ways." James 1:8

"Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded." James 4:8

Reactions: APAK and MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@MatthewG Just a few verses and comments for consideration in the subject:

"And Joseph took them both, Ephraim in his right hand toward Israel's left hand, and Manasseh in his left hand toward Israel's right hand, and brought them near unto him.
And Israel stretched out his right hand, and laid it upon Ephraim's head, who was the younger, and his left hand upon Manasseh's head, guiding his hands wittingly; for Manasseh was the firstborn." Gen 48:13-14

The first born should have had the right hand laid of his head, but notice that Israel wittingly put his right hand on the head of the second born. This simply means that God knows what we are and what we are to be. That is which is expected may be reversed because of circumstances or some special part of God's plan.

"And the priest shall take some of the blood of the trespass offering, and the priest shall put it upon the tip of the right ear of him that is to be cleansed, and upon the thumb of his right hand, and upon the great toe of his right foot:" Lev 14:14

"Thy right hand, O LORD, is become glorious in power: thy right hand, O LORD, hath dashed in pieces the enemy." Ex 15:6

"And this is the blessing, wherewith Moses the man of God blessed the children of Israel before his death.

And he said, The LORD came from Sinai, and rose up from Seir unto them; he shined forth from mount Paran, and he came with ten thousands of saints: from his right hand went a fiery law for them." Deut 33:1-2

So who is this right hand of God or the One at the right hand of God?

"But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,
And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God." Acts 7:55-56

"A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left." Ecc 10:2

"And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?" Jonah 4:11

"But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly." Matt 6:3-4

And where or what is the left hand of God?

"And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:" Matt 25:32-34

"Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:" Matt 25:41

There many other scriptures, especially in the OT regarding the hand of God. The right hand is often specified and is easy to see, while the left hand may not be so clear. The above quoted verses from Matt 25:32-41 are the best ones for seeing what the end results for each is to be. We really do not want to be the left hand of God or end up as one of the goats. God uses goats for curses and perhaps chastisements whereas He uses sheep for give and as well as to receive: But 100% better to working as a sheep.

Consider that Moses was working from or as the right hand of God, while, Pharaoh was working from or as the left hand of God. God will use whoever makes themselves available to accomplish His work. He did not make Pharaoh a goat. Pharaoh did that to himself and God uses that man's choice to accomplish the negative aspects of His plan.

Consider these words of Jesus:

"Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!
Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire." Matt 18:7-8

The man by whom the offence comes is the one who put himself in place to do the left hand work of God. How long should a man remain double minded, working first with God [the right hand], but then also at times working for God [the left hand]. We [believers] don't usually [if ever] consciously work for God as his left hand, but He uses that which is available to do that which needs to be done. Sometimes curses are necessary because of what a person did or did not do.

"A double minded man is unstable in all his ways." James 1:8

"Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded." James 4:8

Can you just simplify all of this down? I already know a lot about scripture (not everything but know a lot about the new testament) and it is great you are sharing these things; and hopefully it will help someone out here looking and seeking, but if you are talking to me directly can you just simplify it?

( it is easy for me to get frustrated and annoyed when looking at a HUGE wall of text )

Thank you ahead of time @amadeus ; and may the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, love of God, and the fellowship of the holy spirit be with you and all of the families out there, whom come and visit this website.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you just simplify all of this down? I already know a lot about scripture (not everything but know a lot about the new testament) and it is great you are sharing these things; and hopefully it will help someone out here looking and seeking, but if you are talking to me directly can you just simplify it?

( it is easy for me to get frustrated and annoyed when looking at a HUGE wall of text )

Thank you ahead of time @amadeus ; and may the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, love of God, and the fellowship of the holy spirit be with you and all of the families out there, whom come and visit this website.
Sorry! It is simply an old Bible Study of my own. Essentially it, for me, is supportive of God being the instigator of curses as well as blessings. Types and Shadows in the OT point to the Reality of God. The conclusion essentially is found in Matthew chapter 25 as quoted in part above.

What I see is that God spoke [no real tense here although I used a past tense] all of the Word of God and then men invoke His Word to their own situations according their own actions or inactions. For example if you were to kill a man now, the Word already spoken is invoked as per...

''Thou shalt not kill." Ex 20:13
"He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death." Ex 21:12

That's OT, but God spoke already to all situations which would include people not born as children of Jacob/Israel but in the NT as well. His Word spoken cover all situations and where applicable this could or would include mercy as God provides.

The left hand is the one that punished or chastises. The right hand is the one that blesses or extends mercy.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can believe that if you want to. That is fine with me: @Enoch111

I believe that Jesus Christ had had placed all enemies beneath his feet; and the last enemy to be destroyed was death ( 1 Corinthians 15:26 And the last enemy to be destroyed is death.) ; Do you believe that Jesus Christ had victory over death? I believe that victory is over spiritual death; in which all people who choose to believe and follow Christ Jesus are rescued from darkness and brought into the light of the kingdom of Gods son.

(At this point in my life; my theology is not really a concern anymore and do not believe it needs corrected anymore unless God corrects me on something.) (No I do not know everything but have a good reign on the understanding.)

People can believe what is being said or reject it; it is totally up to them; and people should check the bible to see if my claim about what is being said are true or if they are false and many people have a problem with accepting that the Lord Jesus Christ has already returned in 70ad.

Thank you all for your contribution on this thread.

Yes sir I do believe that Jesus had a victory over death as mentioned in 1 Cor, but since people are still dying, the last enemy's destruction is yet futuristic. In reality Rev 20:5 points out that the non anointed Christians will not come to life until the millennial reign of Christ is finished and they pass the test of satans release Verses 7-9

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Every answer so far has a measure of truth to it.

But to accept what teh authors of the books understrood it to be:

1. When one was given thew right to sit at teh right hand of a sovereign, that meanst they weere favored above all but the king himself in the kingdom. IOW Second most important person. that is Jesus! Only the Father is above the son. as explained in 1 Cor. 15