Explaining the Trinity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This confuses more people than many believe. Therefore we see beliefs such as Modalism
You should have stated what you believe to be the true doctrine. But there is already a current thread on the subject, and a few other related threads. To avoid confusion people should carefully study Matthew 28:19.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Matthew 28:19, both occurrences of the word "and" between the Persons is the Greek word "kai" which can be translated "even".

Which is not to say that there is no distinction between the members in our Triune Godhead.

It is to say that there is a certain Oneness in the Godhead that most people miss; to the degree that in their hearts they have become Tritheists rather than Trinitarians.

D

Dave L

1. There is only one God (e.g., Rom. 3:30)

2. The Father is God (e.g., John 6:27)

3. Jesus is God (e.g., John 20:28; Rom. 9:5; 2 Peter 1:1)

4. The Holy Spirit is God (e.g., Acts 5:3–5)

5. These Three are distinct persons (e.g., John 14:16–17)

On the Mount of tranfiguration

“While he was still speaking, suddenly a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said: This is My beloved Son. I take delight in Him. Listen to Him! When the disciples heard it, they fell facedown and were terrified. Then Jesus came up, touched them, and said, “Get up; don’t be afraid.”” (Matthew 17:5–7) (HCSB)

“For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.” (2 Peter 1:16–18) (KJV 1900)

Jesus' Baptism

“And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” (Matthew 3:16–17) (KJV 1900)

Stephen's death

“But Stephen, filled by the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven. He saw God’s glory, with Jesus standing at the right hand of God, and he said, “Look! I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!”” (Acts 7:55–56) (HCSB)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. There is only one God (e.g., Rom. 3:30)

2. The Father is God (e.g., John 6:27)

3. Jesus is God (e.g., John 20:28; Rom. 9:5; 2 Peter 1:1)

4. The Holy Spirit is God (e.g., Acts 5:3–5)

5. These Three are distinct persons (e.g., John 14:16–17)

On the Mount of tranfiguration

“While he was still speaking, suddenly a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said: This is My beloved Son. I take delight in Him. Listen to Him! When the disciples heard it, they fell facedown and were terrified. Then Jesus came up, touched them, and said, “Get up; don’t be afraid.”” (Matthew 17:5–7) (HCSB)

“For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.” (2 Peter 1:16–18) (KJV 1900)

Jesus' Baptism

“And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” (Matthew 3:16–17) (KJV 1900)

Stephen's death

“But Stephen, filled by the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven. He saw God’s glory, with Jesus standing at the right hand of God, and he said, “Look! I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!”” (Acts 7:55–56) (HCSB)
Not in disagreement with any of your passages; but I would add that there is one Lord (Ephesians 4:5); and that that Lord is the Father (Matthew 11:25, Luke 10:21). But that no one can say that Jesus is the Lord except by the Holy Ghost (1 Corinthians 12:3); and also that the scripture declares that there is one Lord Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 8:6).

In the last days there will be false teachers who will deny the only Lord God even our Lord Jesus Christ (Jude 1:4). I posit that in Jude 1:4 the word "and" should be translated "even" because scripture declares that there is one Lord (1 Corinthians 8:6, Ephesians 4:5). And also because of how the adjective "only" is applied to the word "Lord" in that verse.

Last edited:
D

Dave L

Not in disagreement with any of your passages; but I would add that there is one Lord (Ephesians 4:5); and that that Lord is the Father (Matthew 11:25, Luke 10:21). But that no one can say that Jesus is the Lord except by the Holy Ghost (1 Corinthians 12:3); and also that the scripture declares that there is one Lord Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 8:6).

In the last days there will be false teachers who will deny the only Lord God even our Lord Jesus Christ (Jude 1:4). I posit that in Jude 1:4 the word "and" should be translated "even" because scripture declares that there is one Lord (1 Corinthians 8:6, Ephesians 4:5).
God/trinity = Yahweh = Lord (Greek kurios) = the Lord Jesus Christ, the triune God. Who as a man spoke in the second person of the trinity, the eternal Son of God. Learn this and scripture will make sense.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God/trinity = Yahweh = Lord (Greek kurios) = the Lord Jesus Christ, the triune God. Who as a man spoke in the second person of the trinity, the eternal Son of God. Learn this and scripture will make sense.
Since Jesus Christ is come in the flesh, does that make the Holy Spirit and the Father not existent in the form of Spirit?

D

Dave L

Since Jesus Christ is come in the flesh, does that make the Holy Spirit and the Father not existent in the form of Spirit?
The trinity (Yahweh) took on a perfect human body and soul but not a human spirit. The man Jesus spoke in the second person of the eternal Son which is his divine instead of human Spirit.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You should have stated what you believe to be the true doctrine. But there is already a current thread on the subject, and a few other related threads. To avoid confusion people should carefully study Matthew 28:19.
The title and my first 3 posts are clearly Trinitarian. Pretty obvious statement of what I believe.

There's a lot more on the subject than Matthew 28.

I am trying a different approach and that thread went off topic.

Reactions: Dave L

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The trinity (Yahweh) took on a perfect human body and soul but not a human spirit. The man Jesus spoke in the second person of the eternal Son which is his divine instead of human Spirit.
What I am saying is, are the Father and the Holy Spirit completely existent in human flesh (in the Person of the Son), or do they exist as a Spirit outside of the human body of Jesus Christ?

How many Spirits are there? Is the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost three Spirits or are they One?

The Bible teaches that there is one Spirit (Ephesians 4:4).

So to say that there are three Spirits dwelling in the flesh of Jesus Christ is to make the Lord on the level of someone with MPD.

God is one Person.

However, He does exist as the Father who inhabiteth eternity; as the Son who dwells in human flesh; and as the Holy Ghost who is come to dwell in each one of us in all of His fulness.