Extra Virgin Olive Oil (a parable)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I chose to start a new thread on the subject of the parable of the 10 virgins as told in Matthew 25. I also chose to put it here, in the 'Unorthodox' section of the forum because some will surely consider the explanation to be so. Please don't come in here simply to drum beat about what some teacher or preacher or commentary has told you before. Empty your pockets or you'll have nowhere to put anything new. There are many, even here that teach what they will, from their own understanding such as it is, and others gather and drink from their well. Often, you get what you pay for.

So in that light, this is a free offer. Given to you without cost, lest anyone say by me they were ripped off. Forgive the puns-- I'm a punny guy, but to be clear- what I am offering here is oil. To be more clear- Olive oil. To be very clear- Virgin Olive Oil. And specifically, as told directly through the parable-- Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

1672413924971.png

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was a story teller. Yes, he was a teacher, but like all the best teachers you've ever had he didn't simply regurgitate facts, he brought truth to light through stories. He employed a literary device know as parable not as some kind of new technique, but a very ancient one used effectively by storytellers over millennia where ideas are conveyed in a particular manner in which the sense of the story is true on more than one level. By nature and definition- parables tell two stories at once. There is a pair of perspectives, one rather evident and easily understood while the other might require a deeper sense and further explanation in order to more fully appreciate. Whether a fictitious or true story is told, through the telling a truth is presented, and a deeper truth is alluded to. This is intentional.

With that background, here is the parable- which might be better known as the parable of the Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

“At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like 10 virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. Five of the virgins were foolish, and five were wise. When the foolish ones took their lamps, they did not take extra olive oil with them. But the wise ones took flasks of olive oil with their lamps. When the bridegroom was delayed a long time, they all became drowsy and fell asleep. But at midnight there was a shout, ‘Look, the bridegroom is here! Come out to meet him.’ Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil because our lamps are going out.’ ‘No,’ they replied. ‘There won’t be enough for you and for us. Go instead to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.’ But while they had gone to buy it, the bridegroom arrived, and those who were ready went inside with him to the wedding banquet. Then the door was shut. Later, the other virgins came too, saying, ‘Lord, lord! Let us in!’ But he replied, ‘I tell you the truth, I do not know you!’ Therefore stay alert because you do not know the day or the hour.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am going to have to edit the title so this thread does not get removed for thinking it is a spammed thread.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am going to have to edit the title so this thread does not get removed for thinking it is a spammed thread.

Do you think it's confusing? Are the mods that careless? It really is a free offer

• Haha
Reactions: Nancy

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think it's confusing? Are the mods that careless? It really is a free offer

We have been banning countless spammers here the last few weeks. By the word "free" suggests something for sale.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have been banning countless spammers here the last few weeks. By the word "free" suggests something for sale.

It actually indicates the opposite. But do as you will, I suppose.

Free Will.

All things work together for good.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It actually indicates the opposite. But do as you will, I suppose. All things work together for good.
If this thread was posted before Thanksgiving I wouldn't have cared. We were bombarded with spammers in the holiday season. Apologies if this changed the meaning of the thread in any way.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If this thread was posted before Thanksgiving I wouldn't have cared. We were bombarded with spammers in the holiday season. Apologies if this changed the meaning of the thread in any way.

It does. But I accept your apology. I do think your response was knee jerk however. You could be much more discerning in your position.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like 10 virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. Five of the virgins were foolish, and five were wise. When the foolish ones took their lamps, they did not take extra olive oil with them. But the wise ones took flasks of olive oil with their lamps. When the bridegroom was delayed a long time, they all became drowsy and fell asleep. But at midnight there was a shout, ‘Look, the bridegroom is here! Come out to meet him.’ Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil because our lamps are going out.’ ‘No,’ they replied. ‘There won’t be enough for you and for us. Go instead to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.’ But while they had gone to buy it, the bridegroom arrived, and those who were ready went inside with him to the wedding banquet. Then the door was shut. Later, the other virgins came too, saying, ‘Lord, lord! Let us in!’ But he replied, ‘I tell you the truth, I do not know you!’ Therefore stay alert because you do not know the day or the hour.

Often or always overlooked, it's a key point. The wise ones took extra oil with them.

On the surface, as has already been discussed at length elsewhere- the parable speaks about preparedness at the end of the age and we can talk about that more if desired, but what is the hidden, deeper, spiritual understanding> ? What is this oil? And how would someone obtain extra oil?

If we were to just move past this parable a little, he follows it up with another to further emphasize the same point albeit in a different manner, he provides further context in the telling of another story.

The idea he focuses on is the 'not knowing' of the time of the Master's return. It isn't about anything else. Like that parable of the virgins who were expecting the Bridegroom to arrive, the next parable paints a similar picture--

For it is like a man going on a journey, who summoned his slaves and entrusted his property to them. To one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. The one who had received five talents went off right away and put his money to work and gained five more. In the same way, the one who had two gained two more. But the one who had received one talent went out and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money in it. After a long time, the master of those slaves came and settled his accounts with them. The one who had received the five talents came and brought five more, saying, ‘Sir, you entrusted me with five talents. See, I have gained five more.’ His master answered, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave! You have been faithful in a few things. I will put you in charge of many things. Enter into the joy of your master.’ The one with the two talents also came and said, ‘Sir, you entrusted two talents to me. See, I have gained two more.’ His master answered, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave! You have been faithful with a few things. I will put you in charge of many things. Enter into the joy of your master.’ Then the one who had received the one talent came and said, ‘Sir, I knew that you were a hard man, harvesting where you did not sow, and gathering where you did not scatter seed, so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. See, you have what is yours.’ But his master answered, ‘Evil and lazy slave! So you knew that I harvest where I didn’t sow and gather where I didn’t scatter? Then you should have deposited my money with the bankers, and on my return I would have received my money back with interest! Therefore take the talent from him and give it to the one who has 10. For the one who has will be given more, and he will have more than enough. But the one who does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. And throw that worthless slave into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

It's the same sort of scenario. But no one is confused about what 'talents' are in this tale, are they?

They are what the Master gave them. The commodity that was gifted to them. They didn't work for it, in fact it wasn't theirs at all- it was what he gave them with the expectation that they would get more. This should help you understand something also about the oil.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
It's the same sort of scenario. But no one is confused about what 'talents' are in this tale, are they?
ha, funny you mention that…i guess the RCC literally changed the meaning of “talents” from money to “natural abilities.” So iow “yes”
not that i wanna interrupt here, but the point is that parable might change on you at some point; one is about the Holy Spirit, and the other is about money, basically

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the parable of the virgins-- they all had a given amount of oil. They all had some oil.

Ten virgins, ten lamps. All had oil in their lamps. All things being equal.

What distinguishes between the five wise and the five foolish is one thing only. It's not that one group had more information or some unmentioned clarity that the other group lacked. The only difference between the two groups that we are told about is that one group had extra oil.

Don't miss the simple point right in front of you. The difference between wise and foolish is the amount of oil you have.

Wise--- extra oil
Foolish-- no extra oil

The oil itself is directly associated with one's wisdom. Each having a certain amount, but one group considered wise, because they have extra oil. Let me illustrate-

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a two-thousand-year-old flask of olive oil.... contemporary to the story.

1672422420640.png

The olive residue inside has yellowed with time, but it's verifiably olive oil inside. When fresh it would have been clear, with a pure golden hue. The lamps above are for illumination, though the oil itself had many purposes. It could be used for those lamps, it could be otherwise spiced or scented to give off a fragrance, in the same way scented candles are used today. The oil was used as a cosmetic to brighten one's appearance to give a healthy glow to one's face, and perfumed also to make you smell good when you smear some on your wrist or cheek.

It's this "smearing" that the word anointing comes from, and oil or this special fragranced oil was used also for ceremonial purposes where it was smeared on someone or something to dedicate for a special purpose. We call this being anointed with oil.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are told in the book of James.

But if anyone is deficient in wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to all generously and without reprimand, and it will be given to him.

It's advice for fools. It's advice for those with no extra oil.

But the foolish ones didn't recognize God as the one to ask for the wisdom they lacked. They thought they could get it from others-

The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil because our lamps are going out.’

The wise ones left them in their deficient state-- 'You think you can obtain wisdom on your own? Have at 'er....'

Go instead to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.’

The parable tells us the result of their efforts.

But while they had gone to buy it, the bridegroom arrived, and those who were ready went inside with him to the wedding banquet. Then the door was shut. Later, the other virgins came too, saying, ‘Lord, lord! Let us in!’ But he replied, ‘I tell you the truth, I do not know you!’ Therefore stay alert because you do not know the day or the hour.

It's not that you can't obtain wisdom on your own. There are folks willing to sell it to you. You can pay $44.31 on Amazon and get a certain brand of wisdom, or you can pay $60K a year in tuition and get another kind.

Or you can ask the Father, who supplies oil to any who ask, and a certain amount to those who don't even bother-- for free.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of that, believe it or not, Mr Ripley, is only the surface level understanding.

The spiritual understanding goes much deeper, much higher and broader and it begins with a simple principle that you have to employ. Just as Jesus explained in another parable (the parable of the seeds) he said (paraphrased) -- "If you don't understand this one, you're not going to get the rest.'

In other words, if you don't understand that the common (earthly) things are but a likeness of spiritual concepts, you'll never get beyond that very basic surface understanding in any of the parables. So move beyond it.

We know it's not (just) about little lamps and oil and preparedness for unexpected delays. It's about you.

You are the little clay lamp. In the spiritual sense --You are the vessel that contains the oil that supplies the flame. As it is recorded in 2 Cor 4-

But we have this treasure in clay jars, so that the extraordinary power belongs to God and does not come from us...

For we do not proclaim ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your slaves for Jesus’ sake. For God, who said “Let light shine out of darkness,” is the one who shined in our hearts to give us the light of the glorious knowledge of God in the face of Christ.

There's your oil- underlined for emphasis. And this you cannot buy, but God grants it to whom He chooses as He will, generously and without cost, a gift you simply have to request.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It only goes deeper from here. The spiritual understanding is well documented throughout scripture, both old and new testament accounts reference the duality of each of these elements mentioned and how to associate them.

Again, you have to employ the principles Jesus first taught in that parable he explained element, by element.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The oil, the lamp, the lampstands.... You'll find them from Genesis to Revelation.

And scripture tells you what they are-- each of them. You don't have to guess.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To understand the spiritual elements you have to view them from that perspective.

The heavenly vision starts in Ex 24, where God tells Moses to 'come up'

But to Moses the LORD said, “Come up to the LORD, you and Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel, and worship from a distance. Moses alone may come near the LORD, but the others must not come near, nor may the people go up with him.”

Moses and Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and the seventy elders of Israel went up, and they saw the God of Israel. Under his feet there was something like a pavement made of sapphire, clear like the sky itself. But he did not lay a hand on the leaders of the Israelites, so they saw God, and they ate and they drank.

The LORD said to Moses, “Come up to me on the mountain and remain there, and I will give you the stone tablets with the law and the commandments that I have written, so that you may teach them.” So Moses set out with Joshua his attendant, and Moses went up the mountain of God.

Moses went into the cloud when he went up the mountain, and Moses was on the mountain 40 days and 40 nights.

There is a significant misunderstanding here, but I'll leave it for another day. Moses was shown heavenly things-- God didn't come down, -Moses went up. This is significant in that Moses, Aaron, Nadab, Abihu, the seventy elders and Joshua were shown spiritual concepts, not physical. This is clear from the description of what scripture provides (something like....)

If you don't understand the spiritual significance of this being a spiritual scene-- you'll miss it. Just like Moses did.

You'll mistake and misunderstand spiritual concepts and you'll become a literalist- and you'll make a fool of yourself.

On the seventh day He called to Moses from within the cloud. Moses went into the cloud when he went up the mountain, and Moses was on the mountain 40 days and 40 nights.

The LORD spoke to Moses, “Tell the Israelites to take an offering for me; from every person motivated by a willing heart you are to receive my offering. This is the offering you are to accept from them: gold, silver, bronze, blue, purple, scarlet, fine linen, goats’ hair, ram skins dyed red, fine leather, acacia wood, oil for the light, spices for the anointing oil and for fragrant incense, onyx stones, and other gems to be set in the ephod and in the breastpiece. Let them make for me a sanctuary, so that I may live among them. According to all that I am showing you —the pattern of the tabernacle and the pattern of all its furnishings—you must make it exactly so.

To understand the oil, first you have to consider the Lamps and the Lampstand....

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“You are to make a lampstand of pure gold. The lampstand is to be made of hammered metal; its base and its shaft, its cups, its buds, and its blossoms are to be from the same piece. Six branches are to extend from the sides of the lampstand, three branches of the lampstand from one side of it and three branches of the lampstand from the other side of it. Three cups shaped like almond flowers with buds and blossoms are to be on one branch, and three cups shaped like almond flowers with buds and blossoms are to be on the next branch, and the same for the six branches extending from the lampstand. On the lampstand there are to be four cups shaped like almond flowers with buds and blossoms, with a bud under the first two branches from it, and a bud under the next two branches from it, and a bud under the third two branches from it, according to the six branches that extend from the lampstand. Their buds and their branches will be one piece, all of it one hammered piece of pure gold.

1672721226283.png

“You are to make its seven lamps and then set its lamps up on it, so that it will give light to the area in front of it.

1672721383059.png

1672721320873.png

“You are to command the Israelites that they bring to you pure oil of pressed olives for the light, so that the lamps will burn regularly.

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was a story teller. Yes, he was a teacher, but like all the best teachers you've ever had he didn't simply regurgitate facts, he brought truth to light through stories. He employed a literary device know as parable not as some kind of new technique, but a very ancient one used effectively by storytellers over millennia where ideas are conveyed in a particular manner in which the sense of the story is true on more than one level. By nature and definition- parables tell two stories at once. There is a pair of perspectives, one rather evident and easily understood while the other might require a deeper sense and further explanation in order to more fully appreciate. Whether a fictitious or true story is told, through the telling a truth is presented, and a deeper truth is alluded to. This is intentional.

With that background, here is the parable- which might be better known as the parable of the Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Hmm well if extra is extra wouldn't it be good to share even though others didn't bring extra olive oil.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm well if extra is extra wouldn't it be good to share even though others didn't bring extra olive oil.

The implication is that everyone had oil in their lamps, but after all of them waited so long, all became drowsy, all fell asleep.

So then when the shout went out-- "The Bridegroom is coming!" They all awakened and trimmed their lamps. That means they clipped the burned portion off the end of the wick, and those who had brought extra oil were able to refill their lamps so they could be relit. Those who had no extra flasks of oil along, had nothing with which to replenish the supply of oil needed to light the flame again.

-the virgins are all trimming their wicks-