Faith based therapy?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lucygoocey

Sep 28, 2017
Miami
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My husband and I have been having problems, and we have tried reaching out to our preacher, but he isn't the same as a dedicated therapist. He has a church and congregation to run, and I don't want to be a bother to him. My husband and I have thought about therapy, but we wanted a therapist that taught as a christian, and not just secular therapy.

We looked up a few different companies, and the only one we found is this one Faithful Counseling. Has anyone tried this, or tried even secular counseling? Did the secular counseling match with your faith? Thank you.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've had my share of secular counseling. They're just people doing what they were trained to do. Religion never entered the sessions unless I brought it up. Being a secular counselor doesn't mean they're evil. It simply means their practice doesn't focus on religion.

A counselor can't change you. You have to have that desire to change and a counselor is there to guild you into basically fixing yourself. They assist in identifying the problems, then you and the counselor do a bunch of back and forths until a solution is found.

That's my take on counselors.

Reactions: Willie T

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My husband and I have been having problems, and we have tried reaching out to our preacher, but he isn't the same as a dedicated therapist. He has a church and congregation to run, and I don't want to be a bother to him. My husband and I have thought about therapy, but we wanted a therapist that taught as a christian, and not just secular therapy.

We looked up a few different companies, and the only one we found is this one Faithful Counseling. Has anyone tried this, or tried even secular counseling? Did the secular counseling match with your faith? Thank you.

Are both of yall Christians?

Just because the pastor has a church to run is no reason to not go to him. But, this doesn't mean that the pastor you are speaking of is gifted by God to counsel you. There are many pastors of churches now a days that shouldn't be there. You undoubtedly don't have faith in the pastor to counsel you. And if you don't have faith in his counsel, then it won't do you any good.

I would not try and find a 'company' of counselors. I would ask among other believers you know for this advice as to who would be a good counselor. I would certainly not go to secular counselors, for they don't have any idea of where you as a believer are.

If you are a member of a church, where the gifts of the Spirit are allowed, then your own fellow believers, by their gifts, through the Holy Spirit, can give the counsel you need.

Stranger

Reactions: pia

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your preacher is there to help...... So talk to him ! Or find another Church !

DicipleofJesus

Oct 20, 2017
Montreal, Quebec
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I have done both and I have found both very helpful. It is true that the mandate of the pastor is to focus on teaching and preaching. But some pastors know of Christians and councelors that are Christian and could be of service to their co gregatiom. Ask you pastor about ressources he is aware of that are Christian. They may be of service to you. If you have a christian radio station you listen to call the station . it probably has resources available. I did that for a friend once.