False memory

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder how common false memory is of trauma... I know there is something called false memory syndrome

Reactions: dev553344

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder how common false memory is of trauma... I know there is something called false memory syndrome
Not common as a PTSD/C-PTSD thing. Not even listed in the ICD-10, according to Wiki, as a psychiatric condition.

False memory syndrome - Wikipedia

It sounds like it normally only comes about as a result of "recovered memory therapy."

Recovered-memory therapy - Wikipedia

I have looked into it myself, because my life has been weird and I am absolutely convinced I have C-PTSD from adulthood.

Complex PTSD: Symptoms, Tests, Treatment, and Finding Support

So I have been confused a lot. (even if that came after, sometimes you're like "what is this mess!!!!!!!)

I feel like the crocs kid

But I never found anything that trauma itself causes false memories, but rather the so-called treatment.

And that is actually a complete shame for a person who is looking to heal and gets the opposite. Sad.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mayflower I've heard of memory blocks. And blocking of a memory can lead to false memories when trying to remember the event that's blocked. There's a good government article here: Repressed memory and false memory - PubMed

Abstract
Both the popular media and professional literature have presented many accounts of repressed memory and false memory in the past 5 years. Repressed memory occurs when trauma is too severe to be kept in conscious memory, and is removed by repression or dissociation or both. At some later time it may be recalled, often under innocuous circumstances, and reappears in conscious memory. False memory occurs when a vulnerable patient with a history of overcompliant or highly suggestible behavior is unwittingly coached by a respected authority figure to create, as if in memory, an experience that never actually occurred. The creation of each phenomenon is explored in detail, as well as suggestions for avoiding the creation of false memories in our patients.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And blocking of a memory can lead to false memories when trying to remember the event that's blocked

Yes.

That is the treatment like @lilygrace said on point.

false memory syndrome is invented by those who gaslit patients.
always talk about your session with someone trusted. i have not had good luck in therapy.

I have been having psychogenic blackouts. They are a new thing for me. I can remember being yelled at, but I don't remember what was said to me. I forget parts of what happened. It's actually a psychogenic seizure.

But that is not the same as going back and trying to remember long term events and stories.

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes.

That is the treatment like @lilygrace said on point.

I have been having psychogenic blackouts. They are a new thing for me. I can remember being yelled at, but I don't remember what was said to me. I forget parts of what happened. It's actually a psychogenic seizure.

But that is not the same as going back and trying to remember long term events and stories.
right. i have misremembered stuff from being pressured for details.