Family dilemmas

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ChildofGod234

Jul 20, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone. I'm new to the site. I wasn't entirely sure in which category I should put this but I think that this was the best fit. I wanted to get some Christian advice and some help in a certain situation.

My parents have been together for a long time, but had had of issues in the past with their relationship and life in general. However, it seems as if they are dealing with some scars, that have been frequently reemerging quite recently. My dad had seemed to get into this mode where he keeps making a big issue out of every small thing that my mum does. He always starts these huge arguments with my mum, and then blames my mum off of these small things.

He goes around saying "seek peace and pursue it", yet any small thing, he gets angry over. He knows the Word of God very well and knows that we're meant to subdue our flesh daily, bridle our tongues, walk in peace and love, not let emotions guide our actions, and be angry and sin not, but he always tries to justify himself talking about the time where Jesus had righteous anger, and drove those people out His Father's house with whips because they were turning His Father's house into a den of theives. But in James 1:20 it says that human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires.

It seems to be one rule for him and another rule for others. When one person acts in an offish way, he comes down heavily on them, but when he does it, he tries to justify his actions and twist it to make it look like he was valid in losing his temper. When bad things he's done in the past is brought up, he tries to play victim as he wants to get sympathy because he was going through a tough time (which my mum completely understands), but when it's with what my mum had done in the past he tries to act like she was just behaving badly and there's no empathy towards her. He also tries to act as if he's the only one that's been through tough situations, and how he was acting at a certain time had no effect on my mum, my siblings and I.

He never used to be like this, it's been a couple of months now. I do my best not to harbour any grudges and negative emotions towards him as the Word teaches that it's good to let go of grudges, and I try my best to foster a loving relationship between me and him, but it breaks my heart to see him behaving this way almost everyday. It sometimes seems like he's taking me not harbouring any grudges towards him as "yeah she's doesn't have a problem with the way I'm behaving".

Every time he causes a big unnecessary blow up, he always stops the situation and says to my mum "this is so carnal, let's stop and pray" which is good. They do pray and the situation is temporarily defused, but then he walks around saying "look how God used me to defuse the situation" when a lot of the time he starts it.

I've tried to encourage him to walk in the love of Jesus and things like that, but either tries to convince me that his behaviour is justified or says "yeah that's true" but doesn't change much.

Now I'm most definitely not trying to be judgemental, I'll be first to admit that I'm a filthy, rotten sinner, in need of God's grace and mercy, and crucifying my flesh every day isn't easy, but my dad's behaviour is affecting people in the house.

My dad isn't a bad person, and I do love him but it's hard when he gets in those modes. It only recently started happening as well. Prayers and suggestions on how to biblically and effectively deal with this situation would be much appreciated. God bless all of my brothers and sisters in Christ

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hello everyone. I'm new to the site. I wasn't entirely sure in which category I should put this but I think that this was the best fit. I wanted to get some Christian advice and some help in a certain situation.

My parents have been together for a long time, but had had of issues in the past with their relationship and life in general. However, it seems as if they are dealing with some scars, that have been frequently reemerging quite recently. My dad had seemed to get into this mode where he keeps making a big issue out of every small thing that my mum does. He always starts these huge arguments with my mum, and then blames my mum off of these small things.

He goes around saying "seek peace and pursue it", yet any small thing, he gets angry over. He knows the Word of God very well and knows that we're meant to subdue our flesh daily, bridle our tongues, walk in peace and love, not let emotions guide our actions, and be angry and sin not, but he always tries to justify himself talking about the time where Jesus had righteous anger, and drove those people out His Father's house with whips because they were turning His Father's house into a den of theives. But in James 1:20 it says that human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires.

It seems to be one rule for him and another rule for others. When one person acts in an offish way, he comes down heavily on them, but when he does it, he tries to justify his actions and twist it to make it look like he was valid in losing his temper. When bad things he's done in the past is brought up, he tries to play victim as he wants to get sympathy because he was going through a tough time (which my mum completely understands), but when it's with what my mum had done in the past he tries to act like she was just behaving badly and there's no empathy towards her. He also tries to act as if he's the only one that's been through tough situations, and how he was acting at a certain time had no effect on my mum, my siblings and I.

He never used to be like this, it's been a couple of months now. I do my best not to harbour any grudges and negative emotions towards him as the Word teaches that it's good to let go of grudges, and I try my best to foster a loving relationship between me and him, but it breaks my heart to see him behaving this way almost everyday. It sometimes seems like he's taking me not harbouring any grudges towards him as "yeah she's doesn't have a problem with the way I'm behaving".

Every time he causes a big unnecessary blow up, he always stops the situation and says to my mum "this is so carnal, let's stop and pray" which is good. They do pray and the situation is temporarily defused, but then he walks around saying "look how God used me to defuse the situation" when a lot of the time he starts it.

I've tried to encourage him to walk in the love of Jesus and things like that, but either tries to convince me that his behaviour is justified or says "yeah that's true" but doesn't change much.

Now I'm most definitely not trying to be judgemental, I'll be first to admit that I'm a filthy, rotten sinner, in need of God's grace and mercy, and crucifying my flesh every day isn't easy, but my dad's behaviour is affecting people in the house.

My dad isn't a bad person, and I do love him but it's hard when he gets in those modes. It only recently started happening as well. Prayers and suggestions on how to biblically and effectively deal with this situation would be much appreciated. God bless all of my brothers and sisters in Christ
Hi @ChildofGod234 Good to see you. You yourself can't be responsible for family behaviour; but prayer and the Scriptures can put the believer's own life in harmony with the Lord. John's First Epistle says things about walking in the light. If we ourselves are truly walking with the Lord by His grace, then this can radiate out to others.

Keep praying!

ChildofGod234

Jul 20, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @ChildofGod234 Good to see you. You yourself can't be responsible for family behaviour; but prayer and the Scriptures can put the believer's own life in harmony with the Lord. John's First Epistle says things about walking in the light. If we ourselves are truly walking with the Lord by His grace, then this can radiate out to others.

Keep praying!
Thank you so much for this response, this is very true. May God bless you!

Reactions: farouk

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Intreresting post @ChildofGod234 . My own marriage was rather as you describe for a while but it is good now. The thing is I refused to take the blame, I refused to be a doormat and let him vent his anger on me. When he kicked off I used to tell myself out loud that no, it wasn't my fault - and if it was I would admit it - but mostly it was just that he had to blame somebody and I could see that. He was very insecure about finances and I think that was at the bottom of it all. I used to pray for him and quote certain scriptures to myself to try to keep my spirit up. I also think that the enemy likes to come between couple specially if things have been going well spiritually. My husband had what we both believe to be an encounter with God that made him completely different. And I saw that resentment on either side can be a killer to a marriage or any relationship. I hope your mum forgives him and I hope she will see a similar change in him to what I saw. This is a situation that can only change with God's loving intervention.

Reactions: amadeus

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Hey ChildofGod234, sounds like you dad has a carnal spirit masquerading as a spiritual one.
Recognise it as you have done and don’t buy into it by not letting him wind you up.... even walking away when it starts.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's difficult of course to know your situation via this form of media. Maybe my experience might help. It's a real shot in the dark though.

I gave my life over to the Lord even before your age.

You know once in my life when I was around 39-41 years old, with my wife and two boys I developed a Christ-complex. Someone could say it was part of a middle-aged crisis, and 'normal' for many guys.

I was under loads of pressure at that time in my life, especially from work, with rumors of me and others to become redundant etc., after working for 20 years without anything to show for it. There were many more pressing issues...

I preached the word of God at times to my family and placed myself above them in a way that was more that just being a Dad and husband. I was the Lord of the manor of my household and felt they were not grateful for all the things 'I' provided for them. This view developed over many months. I became more and more selfish and judgmental with everyone around me. I felt like I was the ONLY ONE moving the train up the hill so to speak as I survey my life up to that point. Everyone else was not doing their part. They were a drag. I felt I was the only one keeping the family cohesive and moving forward...

The BL is besides leaving out wide gaps out of story and the great ending ...it ended well and justified. We are ALL still together...Amen!

I tell you it was 'touch and go' for a bit, as a Dad and husband....something I do not want to go through or experience again....it cut me to the core of my entire being..

I did it, learned from it, and now I preach to others, especially Dads to not fall into this trap of a Christ and Samson complex....as I call it

Bless you and your family. We all need God's love and protection.

I hope this post can give you some patience and understanding into why staying in the family and supporting it as a unit is so crucial for you now and in the future. You can become a 'stronger' and wiser person for it in the end.

APAK

Reactions: ChristisGod