Fasting the Flesh - for penguin

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

For Life

Feb 24, 2007
I never really thought of the term "fasting the flesh". That was penguins term. I think that is a very good term for trying to be a Christian though. We are constantly trying to battle our weak fleshly selves to follow what the Bible teaches. We are being bombarded from the world in almost every facet of life things which are against the Bible. The biggest mediums I notice on a daily basis is the radio and TV. It is amazing how powerful some of the images on TV are and we don't even know it. Our subconscious mind knows it. The enemy knows it. How do we battle against it?? Fast the flesh. Try to be aware of what you are watching and listening to. Even the cartoons my kids watch have some powerful images in them. I don't fully understand what power these images hold but I know they are not all good. I hope penguin can shed some more light on fasting the flesh and our rebellious spirit.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
I've been fasting. I don't watch any "entertainment television". Only news or historical channels. Also the Christian channels every once in a while. But I don't usually watch television.And I've stopped playing video games. They are completely time consuming and bring you no fruit.I try to follow the golden rule. If it doesn't glorify God, then don't do it.

penguin

Sep 19, 2007
hello 'for life' Penguin here... having said that, i hope others contribute their experiences and thoughts in this thread! As a result, here is the previous correspondence.original txt from another thread:-quote=For Life; I believe that my elders are wiser than I am and have something worth learning. Unfortunately for me I have a rebellious spirit and have a hard time obeying. I am trying to learn though. Penguins reply: hi there, i'm not wanting to detract from this thread but would like to respond to you 'For Life' i too have the ability to be rebellious and have only come into the revelation of this in the last couple of weeks. I was completely shocked as i hadn't realised it before. the journey i have been on recently as a result may be of interest to you. the challenge to fast flesh, not simply the food, but the self flesh which promotes the mindset of rebellion. What i mean by this in practice, is that as i realise that my action, thoughts etc have been born in rebellion, i need to choose to fast the thoughts and actions. For me, with the original revelation came the realisation of the hidden places and the amount rebellion can manifest itself, like a root spreading through various parts of life. God is able to renew me in this though and i will be transformed!!! romans 12. -you too!as i have continued on my journey, i have considered that Jesus probably lived his entire life in fasting his flesh. maybe he could have stepped out of the humanness at any time. We have thoughts come to mind, and in fasting the flesh and taking captive those thoughts, we make a choice to not give in and to go Gods way. I'm thinking that Jesus was in constant submission to his Father, and he will have been able to do far more than we can in any given situation, but had to choose to submit to his humanness and fast his flesh. am i explaining myself ok??? I'm still trying to process my thoughts to be honest. Maybe this could be a new thread. if you would like to talk further, please start one and i'll look out for it. Any other input on this would be good! thanksNew reply from penguin: now we're here, i'm not sure what more i can say!to me, fasting flesh means all i have written above really. if you have any specific questions, then maybe that will help! ok, here goes...:study:Romans 12 v 1-2 "And so dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice- the kind that he will accept. When you think of what He has done for you, is it too much to ask? Don't copy the behaviour and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know what God wants you to do, and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect his will really is.":pray3:going back to being rebellious... the above passage is a promise from God. I want to know His will and if i allow Him to transform me by renewing my thinking and my mindset in all things He has to show me, then the outcome is i will come to know his will and whats more, i will know how good it is in Christ. The Holy Spirit only reveals things to me in the way i have had fresh revelation about my rebellion, when He wants to do something about it in my life. The first step for me is to realise this and to allow God into that area. to come to a place where i can completely let go and allow God to have control in that area of my life/ character/ personality... In human terms, this is a huge thing in my life and i have to choose to let go and let God. His ways are so much better than mine, and His knowledge of what is best for me is amazing. Having said that, it can be hard to choose to let go of something. Even when holding on is a silly idea. our flesh can be so dictatory and we can either live by flesh or by the Spirit. I want to live by the Spirit. i am on a journey in this. I have to speak to my flesh (like David) and step above it to be free to step out and follow Spirit. It isn't always easy, but God never said it would be. It is about who we obey, our own self or the Spirit of God at work in our lives to renew, heal and release us into the fullness of life that God has for us. Taking hold of our thoughts, (take every thought captive) and us dictating to our flesh not our flesh dictating to us. i say us dictating, but clearly any input we allow in such as unhelpful or unGodly influences can be part of this. If we open ourselves up to things, i feel that just as the Spirit can bring back to mind Scripture to minister into our lives and situations, i wonder if satan can bring things back to mind if we have opened ourselves up to unhelpful things. Images, words, thoughts etc. Back to Romans 12! If we choose to feed our minds with scripture and with Godly influences, relationships etc, then we are in the place where God is renewing our minds. We have to choose to submit to this and allow the truth of the word to take root, to be watered and to grow. with this, we can then speak to our minds/ thinking/ flesh and the changing power of the word can be released to be active and not return to God void. It kind of depends upon the soil we are when a seed is sewn. Our choice of how to respond. Claiming and moving into the strength we can have in God to live this out, with the leading of the Spirit.i'll stop there. any thougths? i am not saying i am right in all i am saying, but this is where i am at presently. As God reveals and i continue on this journey, i may come into a new revelation and understanding. Where are you at??? How is your journey???

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
I'm fasting my flesh right now...I don't watch a single TV channel at all. I don't play video games at all like Wakka says...it's time consuming and it doesn't bring any forth fruits.In fact the biggest thing I said was, its better for you to enjoy life...the things that aren't made by hands then to enjoy the things that are made by hands.Lovest ye in Christ Yahshua our Lord and Saviour.

penguin

Sep 19, 2007
i think too that fasting the flesh is about doing something that you don't want to do or feel like doing, because it is something which is God given and out of obedience. Maybe this is where it becomes the rubber hitting the road in relation to being rebellious. I hope for life feels able to contribute again? I'd be interested to hear more thoughts on this. all welcome.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Well penguin, The way I said it on fasting the flesh is not really being rebellious (if I understand you correctly) It just that they are tons of things that can lead to idolatry, and becomes a obsession and you lose sight of God. This is wjy I rather enjoy the things that aren't made by hands.Lovest ye in Christ Yahshua our Lord and Saviour.

For Life

Feb 24, 2007
This may sound silly to some but I have been wondering for the last few months where thoughts come from. Do we have any control of them whatsoever? After about three months of really monitoring the things I see and hear, I am noticing a real difference in the thoughts I have. Even the dreams I am having are different. I was fasting the flesh just a little and it was having a significant effect on me. Just reading the Bible daily was making me feel better. I don't know how to exactly describe it except to say even when life was being rough it wasn't affecting me as much.The flesh doesn't want you to fast. The flesh wants you to continue to rebel. The flesh wants instant gratification. The flesh doesn't want to obey. How can the flesh be gratified if it is obeying? Along with learning to obey I am trying to learn humility and being grateful. They all sound easy to do but they aren't. For me, anyway.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
John 1:12-13 - But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.Galatians 5:17 - For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.Lovest ye in Christ Yahshua our Lord and Saviour.

penguin

Sep 19, 2007
(thesuperjag;18630)
Well penguin, The way I said it on fasting the flesh is not really being rebellious (if I understand you correctly) It just that they are tons of things that can lead to idolatry, and becomes a obsession and you lose sight of God. This is wjy I rather enjoy the things that aren't made by hands.Lovest ye in Christ Yahshua our Lord and Saviour.
you seem to have misunderstood me and my heart in this. When i say about rebellion, it is completely in looking back at myself and the journey i am on with that. Please feel free to read the origin of this thread which can be found in the first two posts i think. it all started because of a confession of a rebellious nature which two of us have identified in ourselves. When it comes to rebellion, my angle is that in realising the rebelious nature, i have also been learning to fast my flesh in a completely new way, and with a greater understanding about this and in how many areas of my life this can play a part, not just the discapline of fasting. I guess part of the new is in fasting being something i actively do such as daily reading scripture, attending prayer meetings, being actively involved in all that the church is doing as apposed to ditracting myself as a result of time, energy, and emotion. This says a lot abouit where i am at i guess, but by Gods grace and love, i am searching new ground and understanding/ revelation in various areas of both Gods character, scriptural understanding and self awareness. I pray this attitude never goes though! i hope this has explained better.While i am here, can i say thank you for the scripture above! - very helpful post.with love.:shepard: - just like the picky!!!

penguin

Sep 19, 2007
(For Life;18638)
This may sound silly to some but I have been wondering for the last few months where thoughts come from. Do we have any control of them whatsoever? After about three months of really monitoring the things I see and hear, I am noticing a real difference in the thoughts I have. Even the dreams I am having are different. I was fasting the flesh just a little and it was having a significant effect on me. Just reading the Bible daily was making me feel better. I don't know how to exactly describe it except to say even when life was being rough it wasn't affecting me as much.The flesh doesn't want you to fast. The flesh wants you to continue to rebel. The flesh wants instant gratification. The flesh doesn't want to obey. How can the flesh be gratified if it is obeying? Along with learning to obey I am trying to learn humility and being grateful. They all sound easy to do but they aren't. For me, anyway.
hi again. i feel you have caught something of the Spirit in this thread, and there is a greater underdstanding as a result. I think we are at fairly similar places in this as i completely understand that it is not easy. I can relate to all yo have said. Romans 12 1+2... and you will know the good and perfect will of the Lord. please keep posting as you learn and grow in this area.while here, i was wondering where you are in your thinking about 'staying in church' i come to edit this having realised you started that thread, and i posted a reply. there haven't been any new posts on that thread for a while, and i wonder what you have been thinking about what has been said and whether the input people have given has been helpful in your journey? where do you feel God is directing you?Gods blessings.

For Life

Feb 24, 2007
I think the rebellious nature comes from a lack of humility, too much pride in yourself. You would think that after many years of the world knocking you around you would develop a deep sense of humility but it worked the exact opposite with me. The more trials I withstood the stronger I thought I became. Pretty soon I was invincible. Not a very easy place to even think of humility. Besides, all that sort of thinking (humility, grace) is for the weak right? Some 16 yr old kid called me weak minded a couple days ago. Nobody has ever called me weak in any shape or form. I must be getting older because I didn't overreact. That is something that would have looped me a few years ago. See what reading the Bible can do? Listening to Christian preachers on the radio has probably helped too.p.s. I replied to what I was thinking about the 'staying in church' thread over there.

penguin

Sep 19, 2007
hi there. I understand what you are saying here. I think that lifes knocks can build strength, determination and consequently confidence in self. I think though that these knocks and hard times can be amazing opportunities to find God. By this i mean that it is always in the trials that i grow more in my understanding of both who i am and who God is. i think that we are in a spiritual battle, not that the battle is ours, and we know the victor, but certainly, through the trials i ahve been through, i have a determination and a strength to battle in the spirit too. I think this is how i can say what i have said previously. if i wasn't prepared to fight self, and chase after all that God has then i would be missing out on all that God has for me. I like to think that there are soooooooo many truths that God wants to teach me. I can never know all of Gods character. If i could he would not be God. However, my willingness and response to the Spirits prompting will determin what God can show me. If i am closed to His leading on any level, and lack humility to bow the knee in ALL areas, then i am missing the opportunity God has given to me, for me to know him better and build relationship with him. If there was a specific number of 'truths' that God has a list of, things he wants to show / teach us, then i don't want my lack of willingness to allow God to be God in my life, to restrict my learning and growth. I'll stop here - hope i have explained myself in a clear way...:shepard: