Father, Sun and Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Desertbird

Jun 9, 2007
The Father, the Sun, and the Holy Spirit.I’ve heard these terms used a lot but am not quite clear as to how they connect to a Christian. Are they seen as patron aspects of God as a whole, or used as a single, formal address with reference to biblical teachings? If the former, why are all three present in a prayer? If the latter, how/why is each broken into the sects of hand gestures (touching each shoulder followed by the forehead)?Thanks in advance,Ashley

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Are you not made of Body, spirit and Soul? Yet you are one. Father, Son, Holy Ghost Simular concept

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Kriss's explanation hits at the center of it. I'll offer another one that may also give you a take on it. Consider the three as three distinct offices. I think that's probably the best analogy for modern times that I have seen. These offices make up the Godhead, the three being one.

Bamp;#39;midbar

Apr 5, 2007
A central idea in Christianity is that there is one God and he has revealed himself to us; he has shown us what he is like. He is revealed as Father, Son (Son as in the Son of the Father), and Holy Spirit. Many Christians begin and end most prayers by praying to God as he has been revealed to us. Hence they pray, “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.” Not all Christians do this, however. They also tend to ask their prayers “through Christ our Lord” or “in Jesus’ name”.Also, Christians throughout history have understood that they are saved by Jesus, who died on a cross for our sins. They recollect this with numerous different cross symbols. The older gesture is to make a tiny cross on the forehead using the thumb to trace it. It has become combined as the larger gesture you recognize along with the prayer to God (I'm assuming this is the gesture to which you refer about shoulders and head. It is supposed to look like a vertical line down the body and a crossbeam across the body). So two specifically Christian truths are brought to mind by the gesture for them. Though the older gesture is still used all over the place, it doesn’t seem to appear in Hollywood movies, so you’ve probably never seen it. Also, depending on which Christian you ask, the position of the hand as the cross is traced has meaning, usually three fingers for the Trinity and two for how Christ is both God and man.Other postures and gestures are commonly combined with prayer. Kneeling, prostration of the body, raising hands in supplication, etc.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
Huh. Whenever I pray, I tend to say Lord. I hardly ever say Jesus...

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
(Wakka;11780)
Huh. Whenever I pray, I tend to say Lord. I hardly ever say Jesus...
I believe that Jewish people thought using God and His Son's names are disrespectful and avoided using thir names and it is wrong IMHO. In the meantime, His people don't even know exactly what God's name is.

Kirangel

Jun 18, 2007
I've always liked Jesus, it's something that has never really changed (except for a brief period of time). It's funny, when I was younger, probably about 8 years old, I was looking at a prayer card that was given to me. On the front of it was a picture of Jesus looking pensive with his shepherds staff and holding a lamb. I remember thinking how I felt bad for God the father because people concentrated more on Jesus when they prayed (taken from personal experience, I was 8, I directed my prayers more towards Jesus therefore I thought everyone else did as well).It's interesting though that I almost always had Jesus in mind when praying.I don't know about the body, spirit, and soul explanation. I've heard people use it before but what's the different between spirit and soul? Does the bible distinguish between the two?I like the water analogy, it comes in three different forms: liquid water, vapor, and Ice....but all forms are still H2O.

betchevy

Jan 7, 2007
yes B'mid in their zeal for keep the people from sin the Jewish Rabbis begans teaching the people to use" His Name" or HaShem... not the true name, which is really stupid if you ask me.. for God's Holy Name is powerful and I use it especially when I need to have power in my prayer and life... I also use the phrase BaShem Yashua in every prayer.. for it is IN the Power and Authority of Christ we can ask Father... Christ gave us the example of prayer to Father.. holy is his NAME..., but Christ is the one in who authority in the earth has been given.. so its in the power and authoriy of His true name.... and I have been blessed so many times in my prayers being answered, Father's blessings are wonderful!

Bamp;#39;midbar

Apr 5, 2007
Your comment reminds me that some will type G_d rather than God. I see that from time to time. Wakka’s comment in conjunction with yours reminds me of how even in the NT the word Lord is used in place of the Tetragrammaton (and Jesus is called Lord many, many, many times). James 5:4 talks of the Lord Sabaoth. This is the LORD of hosts from the OT which has the name of God in it. But the name is not used by James. He uses a Greek word for Lord there. I wonder why we don’t see YHVH spoken in the NT (that I can recall)?