favorite Bible story

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jan 19, 2017
USA, FL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What story in the Bible is your favorite? Well, it is hard for me to settle on just one. I like several of them. I like the story of Joseph "the dreamer" in Genesis, it is an amazing story of God's blessing, Joseph was spoiled by his father, his father's favorite son, he earned the jealousy of his older brothers when his father had a fancy colorful garment made for him, I'm sure you all know the rest of the story. Joseph would be raised up and brought down, he learned what it meant to be humble and rely on God. I like the story of Moses, that is an awesome story of how the Lord delivered His people the Israelites out of slavery. Deborah was a strong and faithful woman, one of few women leaders during that time. And I liked how Moses' sister Miriam celebrated the victory of God parting the red sea by dancing, singing, playing the tambourine.

Ruth and Naomi is an incredible story of surviving hardship and grief, of friendhsip, love, faithfulness, following the Lord, and depending on the Lord to console you while mourning the death of loved ones. Ruth won a victory when she married Boaz, his love was truly a blessing, and she was an ancestress to David and Jesus Christ.

I like the stories about David, especially how he met the kind, wise, beautiful, and thoughtful Abigail. She was married to a foolish drunk named Nahum, and this man was rude and hateful, and stingy, towards David. David and his men had protected Nahum's sheep, goats and cattle and asked for food and drink in return but nahum only gave him insults. David planned on attacking Nahum's estate but when his wife Abigail heard about it she quickly gathered up wine skins, raisin cakes, bread, dried meat, a lot of food and water and wine and she took this to David and apologized for her husband's bad behavior. David was pleased, and impressed by Abigail, so he did not attack the estate. Then Abigail's husband Nahum had a heart attack an died, and now that Abigail was a widow she married David.

Other favorite stories are Daniel in the lions' den, the Hebrews Meshack, Shadrack, and Abed-ne-go put in the fiery furnace for refusing to bow to the gold idol. There's Esther, and many of Jesus' parables are awesome! I like the prodigal son and the good Samaritan.

4Jesus

Feb 15, 2019
Philly
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What story in the Bible is your favorite? Well, it is hard for me to settle on just one. I like several of them. I like the story of Joseph "the dreamer" in Genesis, it is an amazing story of God's blessing, Joseph was spoiled by his father, his father's favorite son, he earned the jealousy of his older brothers when his father had a fancy colorful garment made for him, I'm sure you all know the rest of the story. Joseph would be raised up and brought down, he learned what it meant to be humble and rely on God. I like the story of Moses, that is an awesome story of how the Lord delivered His people the Israelites out of slavery. Deborah was a strong and faithful woman, one of few women leaders during that time. And I liked how Moses' sister Miriam celebrated the victory of God parting the red sea by dancing, singing, playing the tambourine.

Ruth and Naomi is an incredible story of surviving hardship and grief, of friendhsip, love, faithfulness, following the Lord, and depending on the Lord to console you while mourning the death of loved ones. Ruth won a victory when she married Boaz, his love was truly a blessing, and she was an ancestress to David and Jesus Christ.

I like the stories about David, especially how he met the kind, wise, beautiful, and thoughtful Abigail. She was married to a foolish drunk named Nahum, and this man was rude and hateful, and stingy, towards David. David and his men had protected Nahum's sheep, goats and cattle and asked for food and drink in return but nahum only gave him insults. David planned on attacking Nahum's estate but when his wife Abigail heard about it she quickly gathered up wine skins, raisin cakes, bread, dried meat, a lot of food and water and wine and she took this to David and apologized for her husband's bad behavior. David was pleased, and impressed by Abigail, so he did not attack the estate. Then Abigail's husband Nahum had a heart attack an died, and now that Abigail was a widow she married David.

Other favorite stories are Daniel in the lions' den, the Hebrews Meshack, Shadrack, and Abed-ne-go put in the fiery furnace for refusing to bow to the gold idol. There's Esther, and many of Jesus' parables are awesome! I like the prodigal son and the good Samaritan.

Too many good one's to say "this is my favorite", like you stated. They're all amazing, because God is amazing.

If I had to pick just one, it's this: Revelation 19:11-21 "11And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. 12His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. 13And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. 14And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. 15And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. 16And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND Lord OF LORDS. 17And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God;
18That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great. 19And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army. 20And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone. 21And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh."

Jan 19, 2017
USA, FL
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
4Jesus, I dread that day. I am afraid of it. For so many to die and suffer in hell, it is heart-breaking and tragic. I'd like to do something to save people from hell, but I don't know what to do. :(

Reactions: 4Jesus

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
4Jesus, I dread that day. I am afraid of it. For so many to die and suffer in hell, it is heart-breaking and tragic. I'd like to do something to save people from hell, but I don't know what to do. :(
I'm not sure it is the way many have been taught.

Looking at it this way may help. If we care about them, we can be sure God cares even more. God may have plans we don't know about. God is Love. If you love people, be sure God loves them more.

We also read that "hell" is not eternal. Hell will be gotten rid of, thrown into the Lake of Fire. I think it serves a purpose now. Later it won't.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Crossing the Red Sea.

I love to just visualize everything about it, imagine myself there.

Much love!
Nothing wrong with visualizing. On the contrary:

"Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he." Prov 29:18

4Jesus

Feb 15, 2019
Philly
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I know it's unpleasant. I'm sorry to have brought that up if it isn't something you like to think about.

Unfortunately, we're in a war right now. And God-the-Father and God-the-Son will end it. They say that is their will, so we can't argue with that (assuming no debate over the book of Revelation). The violence at the end is necessary to rid evil from the world (I'm sure God could/would ask them politely to go quitely into Hell, but I doubt the evil one and his followers would do so ;) ); the evil one and his angels and their human followers that rebelled have justified using violence as a means, as Jesus tells us in Matthew 11:12 "And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force." - soon God-the-Father and God-the-Son will use the enemy's methods on them, to end them. As God also states in Romans 12:19 "Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord."

As for the consequence of disbelief and rejecting Jesus, I agree, it's heartbreaking. Even Jesus thinks so: 2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance". It's an unfortunate result of free-will choice to reject Jesus. The information is all there, and has been for almost 2000 years - there's no excuse that they should not obey God-the-Father and believe in God-the-Son.

Furthermore, it must be a choice we each make, to follow Jesus or not. Jesus respects each person's intelligence and capability to make that decision for themself, otherwise, He could just save everyone outright without any belief in Him, teachings, or followings.

1 John 2:22-25 "Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son. 23Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also. 24Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father. 25And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life."

Regarding why I like those verses, it shows that the calvary has arrived in the war against the evil one and his antichrist followers. Quite literally, in this case, it's not only the calvary, but The Calvary, The Word, Jesus!

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I like the story in Nehemiah of the re-building of the walls. I like it for a number of reasons such as how God moved in King Artaxerxes to allow Nehemiah time off to go and do it and gave him a safe pass and provisions. I also love the descriptions of some of the trades of the ordinary men that came together and worked diligently alongside each other to complete the work. To me that is a true example of what church should be like.

Reactions: amadeus and marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is one thing you can do, and that is to live submitted to Jesus, to be empowered by the Holy Spirit, so that all He wants to do through you to the salvation and edification of others can go forward.

Jesus, through your service, will save.

Much love!

Reactions: Pearl

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like the story in Nehemiah of the re-building of the walls. I like it for a number of reasons such as how God moved in King Artaxerxes to allow Nehemiah time off to go and do it and gave him a safe pass and provisions. I also love the descriptions of some of the trades of the ordinary men that came together and worked diligently alongside each other to complete the work. To me that is a true example of what church should be like.
I love reading Nehemiah's relationship with God, "and the good hand of the LORD was upon me", "Remember me for good, oh God . . ." He had his mind in the right place!

Much love!

Reactions: Pearl