Fear God - Why I have love and fear has been cast out?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Fear is a strange thing. It is an emotion that says bad things are going to happen so fight or run away. This is called the fear response.

Fear as in respect, knowing ones position and danger that is involved, should maybe called humble and contrite.

2 This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word.
Isaiah 66:2

10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise
Psalm 111:10

13 Fear the LORD your God, serve him only and take your oaths in his name.
Deut 6:13

18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
1 John 4:18

John is describing fear of consequences, anxiousness, the worries of this world that Jesus warned us about

22 The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful.
Matt 13:22

Some suggest we should not fear the Lord, that fear itself is evil because it is not part of perfect love. This is a fantastic idea, that we have possessed perfect love and so are like Jesus. The problem is even in this we have a contrite heart and humble spirit for it is up to the Lord to confirm our state, though we have confidence in Jesus we cannot be presumptive or arrogant.

17 In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him.
1 John 4:17

Sadly those who preach against fear of the Lord, claim not to be like Jesus, but failed sinners, far away. So they should be in fear and trembling, because judgement is preached against them by the righteous judgement of God, because they knew the truth but refused to follow Jesus's ways.

On the other side, fear, anxiousness, is conquered and put at rest by the peace of God ruling in our hearts as we know and follow Jesus's words.

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7

God bless you

Reactions: icxn and Episkopos

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fear is a strange thing. It is an emotion that says bad things are going to happen so fight or run away. This is called the fear response.

Fear as in respect, knowing ones position and danger that is involved, should maybe called humble and contrite.

2 This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word.
Isaiah 66:2

10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise
Psalm 111:10

13 Fear the LORD your God, serve him only and take your oaths in his name.
Deut 6:13

18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
1 John 4:18

John is describing fear of consequences, anxiousness, the worries of this world that Jesus warned us about

22 The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful.
Matt 13:22

Some suggest we should not fear the Lord, that fear itself is evil because it is not part of perfect love. This is a fantastic idea, that we have possessed perfect love and so are like Jesus. The problem is even in this we have a contrite heart and humble spirit for it is up to the Lord to confirm our state, though we have confidence in Jesus we cannot be presumptive or arrogant.

17 In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him.
1 John 4:17

Sadly those who preach against fear of the Lord, claim not to be like Jesus, but failed sinners, far away. So they should be in fear and trembling, because judgement is preached against them by the righteous judgement of God, because they knew the truth but refused to follow Jesus's ways.

On the other side, fear, anxiousness, is conquered and put at rest by the peace of God ruling in our hearts as we know and follow Jesus's words.

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:6-7

God bless you
This is the very thing I am praying about....to understand the fear of the Lord....to have a Spirit of the Fear of the Lord....
I am studying it and searching and seeking with all my heart....
The Spirit of Knowledge and of the Fear of the Lord
Posted on May 19, 2019 by paulbalius

I have been writing a series on the Seven Spirits of the Lord. Isaiah 11:2 shows the Seven Spirits which prophesied the fullness of the Holy Spirit that would be upon Jesus. This is also a prophetic promise for those in our day who are willing to be filled of the Holy Spirit.

“The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon Him, the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord” (Isaiah 11:2).
seven-01.jpg

Reactions: marks and FollowHim

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Continued from above...
The Spirit of the Lord is the Holy Spirit. The other Spirits listed in this verse are describing the fullness of the Holy Spirit, with three streams flowing from each side. The attributes from each side are placed together in one Spirit to bring the balanced outpouring and fullness of the Holy Spirit. Wisdom goes with understanding, counsel goes with might, and for this message, knowledge goes with the fear of the Lord.

It is this fullness of the Holy Spirit we should press into for our lives. “…that you may be filled with all the fullness of God” (Ephesians 3:19).

You think your stack of books can teach you everything, but there are some things only the Holy Spirit can teach you. Jesus promised, But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things…” (John 14:26).

If you want a fuller knowledge of God, you need to have a greater filling of the Holy Spirit. Let this desire burn in your heart, “…be filled with the Spirit” (Ephesians 5:18).

The Spirit of “Knowledge” and the “Fear of the Lord” go together because without having the proper fear of God, we are unable to even begin to understand the knowledge of God. “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge…” (Proverbs 1:7).

To gain worldly wisdom requires much effort, but to gain heavenly wisdom requires much submission. …put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him” (Colossians 3:10).

If you have a living faith, it will not flatline with the knowledge of God. “that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him… increasing in the knowledge of God” (Colossians 1:10).

The more knowledge you have of God, the more you will fear Him. “that all the peoples of the earth may know the hand of the Lord, that it is mighty, that you may fear the Lord your God forever” (Joshua 4:24).

We must fear the Lord before He can teach us. “Who is the man that fears the Lord? Him shall He teach in the way He chooses” (Psalm 25:12).

When you fear God, you will come to know God. “Then you will understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God” (Proverbs 2:5).

If you know God, it will show. “He who does not love does not know God, for God is love” (1 John 4:8).

Don’t let religion hinder your faith. For I desire mercy and not sacrifice, and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings” (Hosea 6:6).

The more you know in advance, the less you will suffer the consequences afterward.My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge…” (Hosea 4:6).

Fearing the Lord acknowledges His power over you. Knowing the Lord realizes His great love for you. With God, fear and love go together. “And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways and to love Him…” (Deuteronomy 10:12).

The unbeliever does not fear God but turns their back on Him. God said, “…you have forsaken the Lord your God, and the fear of Me is not in you…” (Jeremiah 2:19).

Fear men less, and fear God more. Jesus taught, “And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell” (Matthew 10:28).

The problem today is people water down the idea of fearing the Lord by trying to lessen what the word fear really means. Fear means fear. “My flesh trembles for fear of You, and I am afraid of Your judgments” (Psalm 119:120).

Fear of the Lord is the key that unlocks the secrets of heaven. “The secret of the LORD is with those who fear Him…” (Psalm 25:14).

You cannot be holy apart from fear of the Lord. “…by the fear of the Lord one departs from evil” (Proverbs 16:6).

Blessings to you,

Paul Balius

Reactions: FollowHim

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Something that has never made since to me, in scripture there's an account of Jesus sweating drops of blood, in the garden, petitioning the Farther to remove the cup from Him.

I've always had men explain that this was reaction due to fear, fear of what man was about to do to Him. In Matthew Jesus says don't fear man and what they can do to the body, but fear the one who can cast both body and soul into hell.

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Something that has never made since to me, in scripture there's an account of Jesus sweating drops of blood, in the garden, petitioning the Farther to remove the cup from Him.

I've always had men explain that this was reaction due to fear, fear of what man was about to do to Him. In Matthew Jesus says don't fear man and what they can do to the body, but fear the one who can cast both body and soul into hell.

Fear is about what might happen, the downside of a situation, if it all goes wrong. What Jesus was walking into there was no downside in terms of it could not get worse. But the free choice to take this level of pain and torture is staggering.

I had a badly cut lip, when I was travelling with a christian group in India. To get my lip patched up, I needed a few stitches put in without any pain relief. It was only for 1 minute or so to put in a few stitches, but it was very bad. Jesus was looking at 12 hours of torture, and he knew how bad it would be. Sweating blood is a minor reaction to this. Up to this point Jesus had had no apparent physical issues though they had tried to create some, it never came to anything.

It is who Jesus was, and His innocence, power and authority, to be a lamb to the slaughter, and not flinch, almost impossible. But not for love, not for God, because there was no flaw or failure in Him, the true essence of service, fully involved and full of knowledge of the cost.

People do not see, God could have created a situation so he felt no pain, or problems, and just coasted through it all, with a detached uninvolved sense. So Jesus had to demonstrate He was experiencing this cost, this pain, and how difficult it was. The apostles also had to show Jesus was truly human, limited and vulnerable to pain and torture, so show this event of one man had eternal significance.

The gnostics and many other heretics either have a fake Jesus suffering, or Jesus had no real problems with this form of death. In truth this reality of the cost is the linch pin of Gods amazing demonstration of love, and which speaks so loudly to our hearts because it so far outstrips what we of ourselves would do for another, ever.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I pondered that too.....and searched it the other day...
Question: "Why did Jesus sweat blood in the Garden of Gethsemane?"

Answer:
The night before Jesus Christ was crucified, He prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane. It is in Luke’s Gospel where we see that His sweat was like drops of blood: “And being in agony, He prayed more earnestly. Then His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground” (Luke 22:44). Hematidrosis is a rare, but very real, medical condition where one’s sweat will contain blood. The sweat glands are surrounded by tiny blood vessels. These vessels can constrict and then dilate to the point of rupture where the blood will then effuse into the sweat glands. Its cause—extreme anguish. In the other Gospel accounts, we see Jesus’ level of anguish: “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death” (Matthew 26:38; cf. Mark 14:34).

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I pondered that too.....and searched it the other day...
Question: "Why did Jesus sweat blood in the Garden of Gethsemane?"

Answer:
The night before Jesus Christ was crucified, He prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane. It is in Luke’s Gospel where we see that His sweat was like drops of blood: “And being in agony, He prayed more earnestly. Then His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground” (Luke 22:44). Hematidrosis is a rare, but very real, medical condition where one’s sweat will contain blood. The sweat glands are surrounded by tiny blood vessels. These vessels can constrict and then dilate to the point of rupture where the blood will then effuse into the sweat glands. Its cause—extreme anguish. In the other Gospel accounts, we see Jesus’ level of anguish: “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death” (Matthew 26:38; cf. Mark 14:34).
Okay, just so you understand this is only my opinion, the way I see it is, we are His body, I don't believe for one minute there was an ounce of fear of man involved in this metophysical occurrence.i believe the anguish was a result of having knowledge of the suffering inflicted to His body over the proceeding mellinials?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is what He said. It's very important for you guys that I go, that I may send the comforter, because boy are you gonna need him!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, just so you understand this is only my opinion, the way I see it is, we are His body, I don't believe for one minute there was an ounce of fear of man involved in this metophysical occurrence.i believe the anguish was a result of having knowledge of the suffering inflicted to His body over the proceeding mellinials?
Anguish....not fear....
an·guish
/ˈaNGɡwiSH

noun
  1. severe mental or physical pain or suffering.
    "she shut her eyes in anguish"

Similar:
    agony

pain

torment

torture

suffering

distress

angst

misery

sorrow

grief

heartache

heartbreak

wretchedness
    unhappiness

woe

desolation

despair
    in despair, I hit the bottle"
    the dark night of the soul
    purgatory
    hell on earth
    dolor

Opposite:
    happiness
    contentment

verb
  1. be extremely distressed about something.
    "he anguished over how to reply"

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anguish....not fear....
an·guish
/ˈaNGɡwiSH

noun
  1. severe mental or physical pain or suffering.
    "she shut her eyes in anguish"

Similar:
    agony

pain

torment

torture

suffering

distress

angst

misery

sorrow

grief

heartache

heartbreak

wretchedness
    unhappiness

woe

desolation

despair
    in despair, I hit the bottle"
    the dark night of the soul
    purgatory
    hell on earth
    dolor

Opposite:
    happiness
    contentment
verb
  1. be extremely distressed about something.
    "he anguished over how to reply"
I can't view Him as self focused, or self centered.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perfect love casts out all fear. I believe this is where He is triumphant, what is overcome is the love of self, and what is witnessed on Calvary.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When that which is perfect comes that which is in part is done away, all will be for the edification of others,.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The FEAR OF GOD AND OUR I LOVE OF GOD
PART 1
If only they would develop this heart of theirs to fear me and to keep all my commandments always.”DEUTERONOMY 5:29.

The fear that the scriptures speak about,"Fear the Lord," is a reverential fear. I believe when someone fears of being punished by God that's actually a morbid fear of God. He/she isn't complete in love, I agree with what 1John 4:18 says.

In the Scriptures, God’s servants are repeatedly urged to fear Jehovah. Moses told the Israelites: “Jehovah your God you should fear, and him you should serve.” (Deuteronomy 6:13) Centuries later Solomon wrote: “Fear the true God and keep his commandments. For this is the whole obligation of man.” (Ecclesiastes 12:13

In addition to fearing Jehovah, Christians must love him with their whole heart. (Matthew 22:37, 38) How can we love God and at the same time fear him? Why is it necessary to fear a loving God? What benefits do we derive from cultivating godly fear? To answer these questions, we must first understand what the fear of God means and how this type of fear forms a fundamental part of our relationship with Jehovah God.

One definition of this fear is “an awe and a profound reverence for the Creator and a wholesome dread of displeasing him.” Thus, fear of God influences two important aspects of our lives: our attitude toward God and our attitude toward conduct that he hates. Obviously, both aspects are crucial and deserve careful consideration. As Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words points out, for Christians this reverential fear is ‘a controlling motive of life, in matters both spiritual and moral.’

How can we develop feelings of awe and reverence for our Creator? We stand in awe when we see a beautiful landscape, an impressive waterfall, or a spectacular sunset. This feeling is heightened when we discern, with eyes of faith, the hand of God behind such creative works. Furthermore, like King David, we perceive our own insignificance in comparison with Jehovah’s awesome creation. “When I see your heavens, the works of your fingers, the moon and the stars that you have prepared, what is mortal man that you keep him in mind?” (Psalm 8:3, 4) This profound awe leads to reverence, which moves us to thank and praise Jehovah for all that he does for us. David also wrote: “I shall laud you because in a fear-inspiring way I am wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful, as my soul is very well aware.”—Psalm 139:14.

Feelings of awe and reverence engender a wholesome and respectful fear of God’s power as Creator and of his authority as the rightful Ruler of the universe. When we consider all that Jehovah has accomplished and the righteous way in which he governs the universe, do we not have ample reason to fear him?—Psalm 2:11; Jeremiah 10:7.

In addition to awe and reverence, however, fear of God must include a wholesome dread of displeasing him or being disobedient to him. Why? Because while Jehovah is “slow to anger and abundant in loving-kindness,” we must remember that “by no means will he give exemption from punishment.” (Exodus 34:6, 7) Though loving and merciful, Jehovah does not tolerate unrighteousness and willful wrongdoing. (Psalm 5:4, 5;Habakkuk 1:13) Those who deliberately and unrepentantly practice what is wicked in Jehovah’s eyes and who set themselves in opposition to him cannot do so with impunity. As the apostle Paul said, “it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.” Having a wholesome dread of falling into such a situation is ultimately a protection for us.—Hebrews 10:31.

Reverential fear of God and acute awareness of his awesome power are precursors of trust and confidence in Jehovah. Just as a young child feels protected when his father is near, so we feel secure and confident under Jehovah’s guiding hand. Note how the Israelites reacted after Jehovah led them out of Egypt: “Israel also got to see the great hand that Jehovah put in action against the Egyptians; and the people began to fear Jehovah and to put faith in Jehovah.” (Exodus 14:31) Elisha’s experience also testifies to the fact that “the angel of Jehovah is camping all around those fearing him, and he rescues them.” (Psalm 34:7; 2 Kings 6:15-17) Jehovah God does exercise his power in behalf of those who serve him. (2 Chronicles 16:9) Thus we come to appreciate that “in the fear of Jehovah there is strong confidence.”—Proverbs 14:26.

Wholesome fear of God not only fosters trust and confidence in him but also motivates us to walk in his ways. When Solomon inaugurated the temple, he prayed to Jehovah: “May [Israel] fear you by walking in your ways all the days that they are alive upon the surface of the ground that you gave to our forefathers.” (2 Chronicles 6:31) Earlier, Moses urged the Israelites: “After Jehovah your God you should walk, and him you should fear, and his commandments you should keep, and to his voice you should listen, and him you should serve, and to him you should cling.” (Deuteronomy 13:4) As these verses clearly show, the desire to walk in Jehovah’s ways and to “cling” to him comes from trust and confidence in God. Yes, godly fear leads us to obey Jehovah, to serve him, and to cling to him, just as a young child may literally cling to his father in whom he has implicit trust and confidence.—Psalm 63:8; Isaiah 41:13.

From a Scriptural standpoint, fearing God does not in any way rule out loving him. On the contrary, the Israelites were instructed to “fear Jehovah . . . so as to walk in all his ways and to love him.” (Deuteronomy 10:12) Thus, fear of God and love of God are closely connected. Fear of God moves us to walk in his ways, and this in turn gives proof of our love for him. (1 John 5:3) This is logical because when we truly love someone, we rightly fear to hurt him/her. The Israelites hurt Jehovah by their rebellious course in the wilderness. Surely we would not want to do anything to bring such sorrow to our heavenly Father, other if we truly love him. (Psalm 78:40, 41) On the other hand, since “Jehovah is finding pleasure in those fearing him,” our obedience and faithfulness make his heart rejoice. (Psalm 147:11; Proverbs 27:11) Love of God moves us to please him to bring him joy not sorrow, and fear of God holds us back from hurting him. They are complementary, not contradictory, qualities.

Last edited:

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
THE FEAR OF GOD AND OUR LOVE OF GOD
PART 2
The life course of Jesus Christ clearly illustrates how we can love and fear God at the same time. Of Jesus the prophet Isaiah wrote: “Upon him the spirit of Jehovah must settle down, the spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the spirit of counsel and of mightiness, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of Jehovah; and there will be enjoyment by him in the fear of Jehovah.” (Isaiah 11:2, 3) According to this prophecy, God’s spirit moved Jesus to fear his heavenly Father. Furthermore, we note that this fear, far from being restrictive, was a source of satisfaction. Jesus found delight in doing God’s will and in pleasing him, even in the most difficult circumstances. When faced with impending execution on the torture stake, he told Jehovah: “Not as I will, but as you will.” (Matthew 26:39) Because of this godly fear, Jehovah listened favorably to his Son’s supplications, strengthened him, and saved him out of death.—Hebrews 5:7.

Unlike the instinctive awe we feel when confronted by the power and majesty of nature, fear of God does not come automatically. That is why the Greater David, Jesus Christ, prophetically extends to us the invitation: “ I shall teach you.” (Psalm 34:11) How can we learn from Jesus to fear Jehovah?

Jesus teaches us to fear Jehovah by helping us to understand the wonderful personality of our heavenly Father. (John 1:18) Jesus’ own example reveals how God thinks and how he deals with others, for Jesus reflects his Father’s personality perfectly. (John 14:9, 10) Furthermore, through Jesus’ sacrifice, we gain access to Jehovah when we pray for forgiveness of our sins. This outstanding expression of God’s mercy is in itself a powerful reason to fear him. The psalmist wrote: “There is the true forgiveness with you, in order that you may be feared.”—Psalm 130:4.

The book of Proverbs outlines a series of steps that enable us to develop godly fear. “My son, if you will receive my sayings and treasure up my own commandments with yourself, so as to pay attention to wisdom with your ear, that you may incline your heart to discernment; if, moreover, you call out for understanding itself and you give forth your voice for discernment itself, . . . in that case you will understand the fear of Jehovah, and you will find the very knowledge of God.” (Proverbs 2:1-5) To fear God, therefore, we must study his Word, earnestly endeavor to understand its instruction, and then pay careful attention to its counsel.

Every king of ancient Israel was instructed to make a copy of the Law and ‘read in it all the days of his life, in order that he might learn to fear Jehovah his God so as to keep all the words of the law.’ (Deuteronomy 17:18, 19) Bible reading and study are just as vital for us if we would learn to fear Jehovah. As we apply Bible principles in our life, we gradually acquire divine wisdom and knowledge. We come to “understand the fear of Jehovah” because we see the good results it produces in our life, and we treasure our relationship with God. Furthermore, by congregating regularly with fellow believers, both young and old can listen to divine teaching, learn to fear God, and walk in his ways.—Deuteronomy 31:12.

From the foregoing, we can see that fear of God is a wholesome attitude that all of us should cultivate, since it is a fundamental part of our worship of Jehovah. It leads us to trust in him implicitly, to walk in his ways, and to cling to him because of our great love for him. As was true of Jesus Christ, fear of God can also move us to fulfill our dedication vow now and for all eternity.

Godly fear is never morbid or unduly restrictive. “Happy is everyone fearing Jehovah, who is walking in his ways,” the Bible assures us. (Psalm 128:1) Jehovah encourages us to fear him because he knows that this quality will protect us. We note his loving concern in his words to Moses: “If only they [the Israelites] would develop this heart of theirs to fear me and to keep all my commandments always, in order that it might go well with them and their sons to time indefinite!”—Deuteronomy 5:29.

Similarly, if we develop our heart to fear God, it will go well with us. In what ways? First of all, such an attitude will please God and will draw us close to him. David knew from personal experience that “the desire of those fearing him he will perform, and their cry for help he will hear, and he will save them.” (Psalm 145:19) Second, godly fear will benefit us because it will affect our attitude toward what is bad. (Proverbs 3:7)

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the very thing I am praying about....to understand the fear of the Lord....to have a Spirit of the Fear of the Lord....
I am studying it and searching and seeking with all my heart....
This is what I've been studying and praying about too!

Just like you wrote!

I'm starting to form an idea of the fear of the Lord being something that we are 'inside of'.

Exodus 20
18 And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off.
19 And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die.
20 And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not.

Don't be afraid of God, that His fear may be before you.

So the fear of God isn't being afraid of Him.

Isaiah 29
22 Therefore thus saith the Lord, who redeemed Abraham, concerning the house of Jacob, Jacob shall not now be ashamed, neither shall his face now wax pale.
23 But when he seeth his children, the work of mine hands, in the midst of him, they shall sanctify my name, and sanctify the Holy One of Jacob, and shall fear the God of Israel.
24 They also that erred in spirit shall come to understanding, and they that murmured shall learn doctrine.

Rather than being ashamed, rather than growing pale, Jacob will see the children God gave to him, and will sanctify, and fear God. When he sees God keep His promises, he will sanctify and fear Him.

Jeremiah 33
6 Behold, I will bring it health and cure, and I will cure them, and will reveal unto them the abundance of peace and truth.
7 And I will cause the captivity of Judah and the captivity of Israel to return, and will build them, as at the first.
8 And I will cleanse them from all their iniquity, whereby they have sinned against me; and I will pardon all their iniquities, whereby they have sinned, and whereby they have transgressed against me.
9 And it shall be to me a name of joy, a praise and an honour before all the nations of the earth, which shall hear all the good that I do unto them: and they shall fear and tremble for all the goodness and for all the prosperity that I procure unto it.

Fear and tremble for the all the goodness and prosperity that God will bring to them.

There's something to think about!

Nothing can stop God from doing whatever it is He wants. Nothing!

I've been considering the thought that the fear of God is having a deeper appreciation of the fearsomeness of God. There seem to be several passages that link those who fear God as being those who are hoping for His mercy.

In that our two commandments are to trust Jesus and love others, the fear of God will promote both faith in Chrsit and love for others, a true faith, and a true love.

Much love!

Reactions: Heart2Soul

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't think that Jesus was afraid of the suffering, only that he realized what was going to be done to him, and had a very human reaction to not want to have to endure all that pain.

Much love!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is what I've been studying and praying about too!

Just like you wrote!

I'm starting to form an idea of the fear of the Lord being something that we are 'inside of'.

Exodus 20
18 And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off.
19 And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die.
20 And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not.

Don't be afraid of God, that His fear may be before you.

So the fear of God isn't being afraid of Him.

Isaiah 29
22 Therefore thus saith the Lord, who redeemed Abraham, concerning the house of Jacob, Jacob shall not now be ashamed, neither shall his face now wax pale.
23 But when he seeth his children, the work of mine hands, in the midst of him, they shall sanctify my name, and sanctify the Holy One of Jacob, and shall fear the God of Israel.
24 They also that erred in spirit shall come to understanding, and they that murmured shall learn doctrine.

Rather than being ashamed, rather than growing pale, Jacob will see the children God gave to him, and will sanctify, and fear God. When he sees God keep His promises, he will sanctify and fear Him.

Jeremiah 33
6 Behold, I will bring it health and cure, and I will cure them, and will reveal unto them the abundance of peace and truth.
7 And I will cause the captivity of Judah and the captivity of Israel to return, and will build them, as at the first.
8 And I will cleanse them from all their iniquity, whereby they have sinned against me; and I will pardon all their iniquities, whereby they have sinned, and whereby they have transgressed against me.
9 And it shall be to me a name of joy, a praise and an honour before all the nations of the earth, which shall hear all the good that I do unto them: and they shall fear and tremble for all the goodness and for all the prosperity that I procure unto it.

Fear and tremble for the all the goodness and prosperity that God will bring to them.

There's something to think about!

Nothing can stop God from doing whatever it is He wants. Nothing!

I've been considering the thought that the fear of God is having a deeper appreciation of the fearsomeness of God. There seem to be several passages that link those who fear God as being those who are hoping for His mercy.

In that our two commandments are to trust Jesus and love others, the fear of God will promote both faith in Chrsit and love for others, a true faith, and a true love.

Much love!
We sure seem to be on the same path spiritually! I have always believed that God moves us forward corporately towards that place of completeness in Him!

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People do not see, God could have created a situation so he felt no pain, or problems, and just coasted through it all, with a detached uninvolved sense. So Jesus had to demonstrate He was experiencing this cost, this pain, and how difficult it was. The apostles also had to show Jesus was truly human, limited and vulnerable to pain and torture, so show this event of one man had eternal significance.
This also give Jesus the full human experience of obedience, even during this suffering, so that He can share even this with us.

Much love!

Reactions: Heart2Soul