Fear is the root of all violence

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When it comes to fear, we are all vulnerable. You can see it most in the words and actions of those who clench their way through life, politics and religion. Over-identification with an ideology or doctrine is a red flag for someone who is actually terrified of losing something. We need to be vigilant in identifying our fears and sacrificing them to God because faith is the antidote to fear, which is the only solution to fanatical violence in our world.

So, what are you afraid of? How is your fear playing a role in your need to control, your need for certainty?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anger definitely comes from fear.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
aspen said:
Anger definitely comes from fear.
Since God can get angry, does that come from fear? Somehow I think not, and this is an overgeneralization.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We you can either see God as capable of fear - perhaps in the form of grief and lose over our rejection of Him ( I do not believe this) or you can view incidents of God being angry in the Bible as human interpretation of events. I believe humans have been misinterpreting God for a long time.

Doug_E_Fresh

gяελ нατ jεsμs ƒяεακ
Dec 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
dswdoctrine.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or you could be guilty of a false dichotomy and a hasty generalization, and anger doesn't really come from fear. I'm sure abusive husbands could attest that they don't beat their wives because they're afraid of them.

Edit:
1. Not all anger is bad, so interpreting God as being angry, isn't incorrect or a misinterpretation of scripture.

2. If God is love, and perfect love drives out fear (1John 4:8), how can God be capable of fear?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Doug_E_Fresh said:
Or you could be guilty of a false dichotomy and a hasty generalization, and anger doesn't really come from fear. I'm sure abusive husbands could attest that they don't beat their wives because they're afraid of them.
I can see abuse as coming from redirected anger. It doesn't have to be rational, anger can be directed at something other than the fear which provokes it.

I still can't imagine God having fear, as that involves uncertainty. God can get frustrated...

Therefore I propose it is loss of control and the fear of losing control that leads to anger.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HammerStone said:
Too simplistic.

For instance, would the anger from a father whose child was murdered be born out of fear?
It would be grief masked by anger, all of it would be rooted in loss, which is rooted in fear.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The father could also be afraid that justice was not being served if he did not seek revenge or afraid that the murder might hurt someone else.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doug_E_Fresh said:

Edit:
1. Not all anger is bad, so interpreting God as being angry, isn't incorrect or a misinterpretation of scripture.

2. If God is love, and perfect love drives out fear (1John 4:8), how can God be capable of fear?

Anger is always a secondary emotion.

http://www.ted.com/conversations/22441/what_is_the_primary_root_of_h.html

Doug_E_Fresh

gяελ нατ jεsμs ƒяεακ
Dec 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
dswdoctrine.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saying that anger is a secondary emotion, doesn't prove your assumption that all anger comes secondary to fear. And your comment doesn't really address what i had previously stated so I'm kind of lost as to where you were going with that..

whitestone

Apr 3, 2011
Gold Beach Oregon
aspen said:
When it comes to fear, we are all vulnerable. You can see it most in the words and actions of those who clench their way through life, politics and religion. Over-identification with an ideology or doctrine is a red flag for someone who is actually terrified of losing something. We need to be vigilant in identifying our fears and sacrificing them to God because faith is the antidote to fear, which is the only solution to fanatical violence in our world.

So, what are you afraid of? How is your fear playing a role in your need to control, your need for certainty?
When I was a child I was fearful of death. I can't relate that to making me angry, far from it. It made me studious and focused on finding the Way to Eternal Life, which led me to Christ. Fear was never a factor, and as far as I can see, fear is weakness, resulting in faithlessness, and the fearful don't enter into the Kingdom of God.

Reactions: Born_Again

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
whitestone said:
When I was a child I was fearful of death. I can't relate that to making me angry, far from it. It made me studious and focused on finding the Way to Eternal Life, which led me to Christ. Fear was never a factor, and as far as I can see, fear is weakness, resulting in faithlessness, and the fearful don't enter into the Kingdom of God.
I would have to say I agree with this statement. I will say, however, that I do believe that a lot of violent acts are done out of fear as we fear what we do not understand. I think in those instances, the fear can definitely lead to anger or anger in the form of violence.

Lets look at fear of what we don't understand. You take a non-believer. You try to push the Gospel on them. They don't understand it, so it scares them. (it can be pretty overwhelming) It is entirely possible they would act out in anger. I think, for the sake of this topic.. that it should be taken on a case by case situation. I don't think it can be all encompassing.

BA

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
whitestone said:
and the fearful don't enter into the Kingdom of God.
Fearful is not the same as cowardly. These are the ones consigned to the lake of fire.

whitestone

Apr 3, 2011
Gold Beach Oregon
lforrest said:
Fearful is not the same as cowardly. These are the ones consigned to the lake of fire.
I was referring to the fearful who don't enter into the Kingdom of God, which Jesus says is those of "no faith";

(Rev 21:8) But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

(Heb 10:27) But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

(Mar 4:40) And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
aspen said:

The Psalmist as led by the Lord had the right view in not taking vengeance on those that go out of their way to antagonize and to provoke them, but to leave vengeance to the Lord, and do good instead while waiting for Him, but for those needing a N.T. reference.

Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. 6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

This does not mean no bad thing will happen to you, BUT that the Lord is your Helper & He will help you through it.

That means leaning on Him in not being afraid of the slander that you know is going on about you like calling you a thief and getting a police report on you to watch you as if you are a shop lifter, even though you are not stealing anything & you haven't stolen anything in the past. Why get mad even if your enemies managed to get the police on their side with their slanderings, right? You know you are not stealing, so who cares if they notify all the stores in defamating your character everywhere you go? God will have His vengeance on the liars. ( I am white BTW & FYI, bad things can happen to white people )

Worst case scenario, some punk thinks he or she is doing the store a service by not having to watch you any more by framing you as a shop lifter to get you arrested all for an ego trip. The impulse is to be fed up with it all and go postal, but Jesus is Lord. He is in control and He will help you even if you get cast into jail and convicted. Our treasure is in Heaven, and although we cannot see ourselves as rejoicing in these kinds of persecution, Jesus will carry us thru as He has done for me in the past, and is doing for me in the present, and will do for me in the future.

Proverbs 16:8 Better is a little with righteousness than great revenues without right. 9 A man's heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps.

Psalm 31:13 For I have heard the slander of many: fear was on every side: while they took counsel together against me, they devised to take away my life. 14 But I trusted in thee, O Lord: I said, Thou art my God.

I trust the Lord Jesus Christ as my Good Shepherd to help me trust Him more in keeping my eyes on Him & His promises to me so that no matter what the winds of my storms are, He is keeping me in His grace which is to His glory. Amen.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
whitestone said:
I was referring to the fearful who don't enter into the Kingdom of God, which Jesus says is those of "no faith";

(Rev 21:8) But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
Yes, this is the verse. The KJV uses 'fearful' but other translations use 'cowardly.'.

whitestone

Apr 3, 2011
Gold Beach Oregon
lforrest said:
Yes, this is the verse. The KJV uses 'fearful' but other translations use 'cowardly.'.
I'm not familiar with any, though I don't have them all. I pretty much just use the greek, and my understanding of "fearful" has always been "faithless";

Fearful - Strong's

G1169
δειλός
deilos
di-los'
From δέος deos (dread); timid, that is, (by implication) faithless: - fearful.

But the "dread/timid" aspect is note worthy... that would indicate that all those without faith, are because they are cowards... interesting point

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
whitestone said:
I'm not familiar with any, though I don't have them all. I pretty much just use the greek, and my understanding of "fearful" has always been "faithless";

Fearful - Strong's

G1169
δειλός
deilos
di-los'
From δέος deos (dread); timid, that is, (by implication) faithless: - fearful.

But the "dread/timid" aspect is note worthy... that would indicate that all those without faith, are because they are cowards... interesting point
It appears to all be tied together. I'm sure God hates it when people put the fear of men ahead of him. When people don't love the truth enough to oppose the influences of this world. How many will be condemned because of their own unbelieving father and mother?