1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fear or not to fear

Discussion in 'NonChristian Help Forum' started by heavenforbid, Feb 10, 2017.

1. heavenforbid

heavenforbid New Member

It says in Proverbs

Pro 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

But in 1 John it counters this

1 Jn 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

If there is no fear in love, how does one still retain a fear for God?

Let me ask you a question, is it better to

A. Love God without fear
    B. Fear God without love
    C. Love and fear God together

Thank you for reading.

2. Angelina

Angelina Prayer Warrior Staff Member Admin

Faith:
    Christian
    I think that Proverbs 1:7 is talking about reverential fear from the latin word from revereri. The Hebrew word is yir'âh [H3373] Feminine of H3373; fear (also used as infinitive); morally reverence: - X dreadful, X exceedingly, fear (-fulness).

Whereas the word fear used in 1 John 4:18 is the Greek word phobos [G5401] From a primary φέβομαι phebomai (to be put in fear); alarm or fright: - be afraid, + exceedingly, fear, terror.

Psalms 139: KJV is similar to reverential fear 14."I will praise thee; for I am fearfully [H3372] and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well."

[H3372] fearfully yârê' ~ A primitive root; to fear; morally to revere; causatively to frighten: - affright, be (make) afraid, dread (-ful), (put in) fear (-ful, -fully, -ing). (be had in) reverence (-end), X see, terrible (act, -ness, thing).

We can love God and we can respect him and be in awe of him as one who will disciplines us like a Father disciplines their child and yes there is an element of fear in that... :D especially when we know we have done something that will not please him.

Proverbs 3:11-12, Hebrews 12:4, 5, 6

Bless ya!

3. heavenforbid

heavenforbid New Member

You're comparing a Hebrew word with a Greek word, there two different languages. If it was two different words of the same language in the same manuscript, I would be in similarly agreement. Now remember when comparing the old testament in diffrent languages, any kind of bias can be used to complicate translation.

Now heres the problem, why use fear and not reverence? Is it because having reverence for someone almost always for shadows fear.

4. Angelina

Faith:
    Christian
    That is correct. I am comparing the O/T Hebrew word with the N/T Greek.

The Greek word is [G2124] is eulabeia ~ Definition: reverence, fear of God.
    From [G2126]; properly caution, that is, (religiously) reverence (piety); by implication dread (concretely): - fear (-ed).
    [G2126] eulabēs From G2095 and G2983; taking well (carefully), that is, circumspect (religiously, pious): - devout.

5. ezekiel

ezekiel Member

United States
    Fear of God is the beginning of understanding and as you walk this walk you will begin to walk in spirit where that fear becomes love. As a son loves his dad.
    As for those around you this Spirit gives understanding on how to love them. The first is to love God with all, second love them around you. These are just basic.

Story time. One comes to rob you the things you work so hard to get. The man breaks into you home how do you judge this person. Do you pull out the gun or do you tell him please set down and say are any thing else I can give or you would want. After all, all is God's. The Bible teaches give him your coat also. No fear in love even it being they can kill the body but only God can burn the soul.

6. heavenforbid

heavenforbid New Member

There two different cultures with different philosophical views on, love, fear and reverence. I thought your argument was that those words are not comparable, that would only apply to different words used within the same language.

Well thats my thinking.

7. heavenforbid

heavenforbid New Member

I've been robbed countless times, so I know a enough about what transpires. As far as I know the bible says to give more to those who take you to court to sue you, that I did too.

8. Angelina

Faith:
    Christian
    Hmm...The cultures may differ but the God we serve is the same God. If you think about it, the Greek word being used in 1 John 4:18 is phobos [G5401] to be put in fear); alarm or fright: - be afraid, + exceedingly, fear, terror. Which has a different meaning to the Greek word eulabeia ~ Definition: reverence, fear of God. So what I'm saying is that they have two different meanings. The bible tells us that all scripture is inspired by God 2 Timothy 3:16 and as such, I am convinced that those who translated Hebrew into Greek were only writing what was already written which was inspired by God.

Bless ya!

9. heavenforbid

heavenforbid New Member

But it was translated to greek later, as much as I remember. I don't think the new testament was originally written in greek.

I have to check into that.

10. heavenforbid

heavenforbid New Member

Well, Aramaic is accepted as the current translations, as well as hebrew and greek.

Angelina likes this.
  11. Angelina

Faith:
    Christian
    My quote
    I am mistaken here...the N/T was written in Greek and not translated from Hebrew to Greek. As it stands, the N/T scriptures are inspired by God just as the O/T scriptures are....2Timothy 3:16

I love your avatar! ^_^

12. heavenforbid

heavenforbid New Member

No, no one really knows what the original NT manuscripts were written in, but like you said. They are inspired either way, so it doesn't matter.