Fear

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Assurance of forgiveness is born when one comes clean.....In bible terms, repentance with a heart intent to follow where God leads. He takes you to Jesus the sin bearer. He desires you trust in the promised forgiveness. In this climate fear evaporates, hope is instilled and joy is the result.

Reactions: Rylan Moffitt

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No because there is no fear in faith, and as a friend of mine put it, '
fear is faith in something not from God.

Do you really think your answer here is FAIR to someone who has ADMITTED they are afraid of hell ?? or any other fear for that matter...
You just formulated a biblical answer without addressing the person. ( Not trying to insult you.. honest... lol.. just trying to say... this person needs assurance... and encouragement )

@Rylan Moffitt ... Actually I believe that hell should be something we are afraid of... but NOT afraid to GO TO OURSELVES... There is a difference in those two fears... My heart is often filled with absolute DREAD for the souls who will be cast into the lake of eternal fire ( hell )... It is not a temporary place... it is an eternal place... and so YES!!!!!!!!!! It is a place to be FEARED...

As a "growing Christian" ( that is the key... that you are GROWING... CHANGING... MATURING )... You have NOTHING to worry about with regards to where you are GOING. You will need to work this out with God... If you are having issues with the state of your SALVATION.... only you and God can work that out... I BELIEVE that I am SECURE in my SALVATION... which leaves me free to simply move from meadow to meadow... munching on clover and loving others... with the FULL knowledge that JESUS HAS ME... and HE WON'T let me go.

I too am a growing Christian... learning... changing... maturing... and so I know I am walking the right path.. because I am loving God .... more and more as the time passes... I am more IN AWE of HIM as the time passes... and I am more GRATEFUL as the time passes.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We should more fear to be displeasing to God and cast into outer darkness. We should not be smug but fear. God will judge us righteously without partiality or favouritism. To be cast into the lake of fire is the second death. This is not a judgment for believers. Judgment begins at the house of God. In a great house there are vessels of honour and of dishonour. If we are purged from our "normal" iniquities...then we can be vessels of honour for Him. Otherwise we do risk being cut off.

The fear of the Lord is still the beginning of wisdom. Sadly, in our time wisdom is not seen as important. People prefer the feeling of assurance to a healthy fear.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We should more fear to be displeasing to God and cast into outer darkness. We should not be smug but fear. God will judge us righteously without partiality or favouritism. To be cast into the lake of fire is the second death. This is not a judgment for believers. Judgment begins at the house of God. In a great house there are vessels of honour and of dishonour. If we are purged from our "normal" iniquities...then we can be vessels of honour for Him. Otherwise we do risk being cut off.

The fear of the Lord is still the beginning of wisdom. Sadly, in our time wisdom is not seen as important. People prefer the feeling of assurance to a healthy fear.

You are absolutely correct... I also think that scripture regarding FEAR of the Lord is often mis-understood to mean TREMBLING scared-like fear...I believe in that scripture... Fear means a HOLY REVERENCE... the knowledge that God also possesses WRATH and JUDGEMENT.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are absolutely correct... I also think that scripture regarding FEAR of the Lord is often mis-understood to mean TREMBLING scared-like fear...I believe in that scripture... Fear means a HOLY REVERENCE... the knowledge that God also possesses WRATH and JUDGEMENT.

The reason why we fear...and yes even tremble at His presence and words...is because God WILL judge all without partiality. He will judge righteously.

Now many today believe that a Christian can get away with things that non-believers can't. So they make God into an unrighteous judge....with themselves as His favourites. What a stretch that is...and how backward.

The grace of God makes us MORE responsible before Him. But the attitude of so many modern believers flies in the face of God. Many would have grace to be..."where much is given, less is required"...rather than the very opposite as recorded in the words of Jesus.

R

Rita

As a Growing Christian, like myself, is it ok to be afraid of Hell? Cause I certainly am..
I wonder how long you have been a Christian- the one thing that I was not aware of when I came to faith was the spiritual battle that would begin- and it is mainly our fears and uncertainties that will come under attack.
Even after being a Christian for over 35 years I still have some fears and uncertainties that the Lord is revealing and dealing with, we are in a process of change.
A question I would consider is ‘ why ‘ do you fear hell - that perhaps will point you in the right direction to know what you need to pray about. Remember prayer is about talking to the Lord - a conversation. He already knows everything about you, however you are on a journey of discovery about yourself and faith. It’s not about becoming a Christian and everything being perfect - in Gods eyes he sees us a perfected, as we should be, but we will take a life time to see that for ourselves !
I still have doubts about some things I still experience fears and anxieties, but I don’t doubts as much or have the same fears and anxieties as I use to have. My faith has also grown - be patient with yourself and allow the Holy Spirit to work from the inside out x
Rita x

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why should we be afraid of something that we have no part of.

I get it... I really get it... but I think FEAR has several meanings here... there is a REVERENTIAL FEAR... and a physical... heart racing fear.

It's true that FAITH is the absence of all fear... but I think to some degree even BELIEVERS experience fears ( whether they are rational or not... My point was simply to say... I think we need to be careful when we address someone who ADMITS to struggling... so that they do not "feel" stupid or a lesser Christian ?? It's all good... you are right... and I did not mean to tell you how to speak.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
As a Growing Christian, like myself, is it ok to be afraid of Hell? Cause I certainly am..

The only time you should , as a born again believer, feel any legit concern about Hell, is when realizing that some of your family, some of your friends, some of your neighbors, and some of your enemies are going there, and then they are going to the Lake of Fire, later.
Be concerned about this. Be VERY concerned. To the point that you are willing to try to do something about it., as until you are, you are not concerned.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Rylan Moffitt AS a believer IN CHRIST... you are promised Salvation. Your walk with Jesus is a beautiful and personal matter... in which there should be NO FEAR of HELL. The topic of hell belongs to GOD... and although it is true that we will know some who are sent there... It is even more true that God is JUST... and we will be given FULL understanding as to the why of things once we are with HIM. Do not set yourself up for more guilt and fear... Give God the topic of hell... and work on the topic of your RELATIONSHIP with JESUS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I wonder how long you have been a Christian- the one thing that I was not aware of when I came to faith was the spiritual battle that would begin- and it is mainly our fears and uncertainties that will come under attack.
Even after being a Christian for over 35 years I still have some fears and uncertainties that the Lord is revealing and dealing with, we are in a process of change.
A question I would consider is ‘ why ‘ do you fear hell - that perhaps will point you in the right direction to know what you need to pray about. Remember prayer is about talking to the Lord - a conversation. He already knows everything about you, however you are on a journey of discovery about yourself and faith. It’s not about becoming a Christian and everything being perfect - in Gods eyes he sees us a perfected, as we should be, but we will take a life time to see that for ourselves !
I still have doubts about some things I still experience fears and anxieties, but I don’t doubts as much or have the same fears and anxieties as I use to have. My faith has also grown - be patient with yourself and allow the Holy Spirit to work from the inside out x
Rita x
@Rita The Lord uses passages such as Psalm 46 and John 14.1 to allay fears.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I get it... I really get it... but I think FEAR has several meanings here... there is a REVERENTIAL FEAR... and a physical... heart racing fear.

It's true that FAITH is the absence of all fear... but I think to some degree even BELIEVERS experience fears ( whether they are rational or not... My point was simply to say... I think we need to be careful when we address someone who ADMITS to struggling... so that they do not "feel" stupid or a lesser Christian ?? It's all good... you are right... and I did not mean to tell you how to speak.
Psalm 111 has about reverential fear...