Fishing Time

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok...
So I am a guy with many talents and interests...

But it's not like I'm abnormal either.
But I just don't go do a lot of stuff that I usually don't have time for either.

I remember as a young man I would have the hardest time getting up in the morning... unless Grandpa whispered into my bedroom "Fishing time"...then I was out of bed like a rocket. Wide awake without even so much as a cup of coffee.

Needless to say there are pictures of me going fishing with fish since I was a toddler wearing the dorky hats parents and grandparents would make me wear.

Now since adulthood I still have practiced going...once even had a boat.
I used to have an extensive collection of poles, reels, and tackle boxes.

I of course prefer open faced reels instead of push button or trigger release reels.

I had 3 mitchell reels. 300A, 300C, and a 304.
These all were made in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

Apparently they are now all considered vintage. The French company Garcia Mitchell has gone out of business or something.

My oldest from 1953 (304) is the only one complete. Missing the handle for both of my two 300's. And the poles are all trashed except for 3.

So I got 3 working poles and am having to dump two cheap reels.
I'm left with one push button lefty (just had it as a spare for my dad (too old to go these days) one trigger and my open face mitchell from the 50's.

When I was out yesterday I was talking with my friend and his two boys at the lake about fishing...they are very interested in doing some of that.

I haven't touched my poles and reels for over 15 years....at least 15 years.

I've missed fishing. The only thing I've fished for lately is kites....yes a kite.
You can put a kite on some good 20# test with a swivel and make that thing dance in the wind like you wouldn't believe...much better than anything else can.

Sigh...

I went looking online for parts from Amazon and was thoroughly disgusted.

Then found all my reels in a museum display of ancient history.

Yeah...

*Heavy sigh*

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I got one spring wound fly fishing reel that needs new line and leader. But it seems to work.
I also found my bait casting reel...the flat line in it is mostly clear of tangles. It was in my tackle box. Along with several spare spools for my two 300's mitchell reels that I can't use anymore.

Reactions: Josho

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God was smiling upon me...
I found a place in indiana that had parts.

The reels would have cost $85-100 each...but I was able to get the two handles for $30 including shipping.

So
In the meantime I'm off to Wally world to get some fishing line and new poles.
All that I have is over 20 years old. I'm not going to be able to trust it.

Lead weights and worms and spoons and spinners don't go bad...so they are fine.

I also need a license...for the next 8 years...in TN you just have to get it but after 65 you don't have to purchase it anymore.

But either way...

This problem has been resolved after searching for the whole day.

Reactions: APAK and Truman

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@JohnDB I Love your topic..fishing..a way just to get out and relax..good for the soul...can speak to God in peace...no virus' of any kind there...
So, I'm getting back into fishing especially since this novel-hoax-plandemic-political- virus came along.

I had to restock my tackle..been also many years since I went fishing..

In fact, I just got word my fishing kayak I ordered in July is finally at the dealer in GA..about 5 hrs drive from here in FL...will be shipping it out I guess tomorrow. I just ordered a new jacket...I should be in the water in October....I'll send some pics in the photo thread we have on this site in good time.

APAK

Reactions: JohnDB

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God was smiling upon me...
I found a place in indiana that had parts.

The reels would have cost $85-100 each...but I was able to get the two handles for $30 including shipping.

So
In the meantime I'm off to Wally world to get some fishing line and new poles.
All that I have is over 20 years old. I'm not going to be able to trust it.

Lead weights and worms and spoons and spinners don't go bad...so they are fine.

I also need a license...for the next 8 years...in TN you just have to get it but after 65 you don't have to purchase it anymore.

But either way...

This problem has been resolved after searching for the whole day.
I tell my son that a Cardinal 4 is the ideal reel. He calls me vintage and starts on about Shimano. This is when I start daydreaming about all the salmon I've caught in my life. Even though I'm still looking at him, he can tell by the glazed look in my eyes that he's not getting through to me. Lol
I applaud you for sticking with what you know works. I learned yesterday that Shimano's new reel costs a thousand dollars. Some people don't know that most tackle is not designed to catch fish, but rather fishermen.
My first Garcia/Mitchell 300 cost $17.99 at Canadian Tire. I later moved up to the expensive Cardinal 4. It cost $35.00.
I remember fishing in the 60s and 70s. If you met another fisherman, it was like you were family. I learned a lot from generous old-timers. Things have sure changed.
I hope your fishing revival goes well and you set many new personal bests. A bad day fishing is better than a good day working. Fish on!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The mitchell's are great for kids just learning how to fish with an open face reel.
Deep spools
Few places to tangle the line.
Large pieces to see and understand what things are and why they are that way.

And easy enough to get the line in.

I've never liked push buttons or trigger reels.

Just not my style... but hey, everyone has a preference.

I'm going to google that Cardinal 4...

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tell my son that a Cardinal 4 is the ideal reel.

Just finished Google this vintage reel...

Not much different than a mitchell by appearances...
What's the ratio on it?
Silent stop reverse?

My mitchell 300's have at least a 4:1 ratio and a silent stop reverse when reeling in the line.

Zebco isn't a bad name in tackle...but I just threw away 2 zebco reels today. They were too old and died. Gears shattered on one and the other came apart in my hands.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey,
For those looking for a little brush up on your fishing line tying technique...

Here's a website for you:
They are animated slowly for understanding.
Fishing Knots

Reactions: APAK

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Just finished Google this vintage reel...

Not much different than a mitchell by appearances...
What's the ratio on it?
Silent stop reverse?

My mitchell 300's have at least a 4:1 ratio and a silent stop reverse when reeling in the line.

Zebco isn't a bad name in tackle...but I just threw away 2 zebco reels today. They were too old and died. Gears shattered on one and the other came apart in my hands.
Zebco got together with Abu Garcia and put out the Cardinal. They later ended their business relationship and Au Garcia put out a new Cardinal. It was garbage. Then they changed it into an inferior reel. I believe they ran it into the ground on purpose. They replaced it with a $200.00 reel about 25 years ago.
If I could choose any reel, it would be the Zebco Cardinal or the original Cardinal that was made in Sweden. They still make them but don't sell them over here. Probably some agreement.
Besides the Cardinal, I'm not a Zebco fan. They do make a spin-cast (push-button) reel that can handle a Chinook but why when there is better stuff out there. Personal taste, maybe? The main problem with the Cardinal was they were cheap and lasted for decades. I never had one break down on me.
And I've caught a lot of big salmon, the biggest 38 pounds, and big carp, the biggest 40 pounds. And lots of each in the 30-pound range.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And I got one spring wound fly fishing reel that needs new line and leader. But it seems to work.
I also found my bait casting reel...the flat line in it is mostly clear of tangles. It was in my tackle box. Along with several spare spools for my two 300's mitchell reels that I can't use anymore.

Even though I have been fishing since I was a kid, I have still never tried fly fishing.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Zebco got together with Abu Garcia and put out the Cardinal. They later ended their business relationship and Au Garcia put out a new Cardinal. It was garbage. Then they changed it into an inferior reel. I believe they ran it into the ground on purpose. They replaced it with a $200.00 reel about 25 years ago.
If I could choose any reel, it would be the Zebco Cardinal or the original Cardinal that was made in Sweden. They still make them but don't sell them over here. Probably some agreement.
Besides the Cardinal, I'm not a Zebco fan. They do make a spin-cast (push-button) reel that can handle a Chinook but why when there is better stuff out there. Personal taste, maybe? The main problem with the Cardinal was they were cheap and lasted for decades. I never had one break down on me.
And I've caught a lot of big salmon, the biggest 38 pounds, and big carp, the biggest 40 pounds. And lots of each in the 30-pound range.

When going after King salmon or steelhead you absolutely must use a saltwater rig...

And a boat that starts easily so you can chase it for a while.

I've never seen a freshwater rig that can handle a 40# king salmon.
A 15# mark? Sure but not a king.

Reactions: Truman

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even though I have been fishing since I was a kid, I have still never tried fly fishing.
Fly fishing is a must for the Poconos...just be ready to really pay a lot for your license and then extra fees for private property licenses.

You can fly fish anywhere...but it can get expensive. Flies are cheap...reels, poles, And especially clothes and gear can get really expensive. Waders with non slip soles or interchangeable soles, creel, hat and vest starts around $900 for good equipment.

It's easy to have $3,000 in a setup for fly fishing. And you will have success catching fish...but it might not be fish you want.
Trout will hit just about anything in truth... even canned corn if they are hungry.

Wooly boogers are usually the best semi dry flies out there. They catch everything.

Reactions: Josho

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When going after King salmon or steelhead you absolutely must use a saltwater rig...

And a boat that starts easily so you can chase it for a while.

I've never seen a freshwater rig that can handle a 40# king salmon.
A 15# mark? Sure but not a king.
I live by the north shore of Lake Ontario which is where the salmon are. I used a Carinal 4 on an original 7 -foot Ugli Stick. I used 8-pound Stren for all my fishing. I got a fishing book for Christmas in 1972 that told me how to consistently catch large carp. A large carp is easily as wary as a large brown trout.
On an average day, I'd catch 10 carp between 15 and 25 pounds. My ability to handle large fish is a direct result of carp. I once brought a salmon to the pier that I and a dozen other fishermen agreed would've gone 45 pounds but just before it came to the net, the hook broke. It was the largest chinook I've seen from the Great Lakes.

Reactions: Josho and JohnDB

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Fly fishing is a must for the Poconos...just be ready to really pay a lot for your license and then extra fees for private property licenses.

You can fly fish anywhere...but it can get expensive. Flies are cheap...reels, poles, And especially clothes and gear can get really expensive. Waders with non slip soles or interchangeable soles, creel, hat and vest starts around $900 for good equipment.

It's easy to have $3,000 in a setup for fly fishing. And you will have success catching fish...but it might not be fish you want.
Trout will hit just about anything in truth... even canned corn if they are hungry.

Wooly boogers are usually the best semi dry flies out there. They catch everything.

Hmm I already have a license (over 18, you got to have a license for any kind of fishing anyway in Australia), just gotta check whether it's still valid, been a few months since I have cast a line in.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm I already have a license (over 18, you got to have a license for any kind of fishing anyway in Australia), just gotta check whether it's still valid, been a few months since I have cast a line in.

Oh... you are in the land of OZ...

Never fished there. Isn't it a really warm climate for fishing? (Lakes, rivers and streams)
Otherwise you got that great reef for fishing in the ocean...

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Oh... you are in the land of OZ...

Never fished there. Isn't it a really warm climate for fishing? (Lakes, rivers and streams)
Otherwise you got that great reef for fishing in the ocean...

Depends on time of year and where you are, But if you go to the northern parts of Australia it's hot all year round of course, in the southern parts we still have 4 seasons a year, we also have mountain streams.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I live by the north shore of Lake Ontario which is where the salmon are. I used a Carinal 4 on an original 7 -foot Ugli Stick. I used 8-pound Stren for all my fishing. I got a fishing book for Christmas in 1972 that told me how to consistently catch large carp. A large carp is easily as wary as a large brown trout.
On an average day, I'd catch 10 carp between 15 and 25 pounds. My ability to handle large fish is a direct result of carp. I once brought a salmon to the pier that I and a dozen other fishermen agreed would've gone 45 pounds but just before it came to the net, the hook broke. It was the largest chinook I've seen from the Great Lakes.

I love salmon, I am still yet to catch one though.

Reactions: JohnDB and Truman

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I love salmon, I am still yet to catch one though.
I saw a video not too long ago about Chinook salmon fishing in Australia. I don't know exactly where it was but they caught some. Due to my health, I don't go anymore. My son does but our favorite spot is closed due to the Chinese virus. So he goes to the legal spot. So far, he's got one in 7 weeks. He usually gets 3 or 4 a night. Shalom.

Reactions: JohnDB and Josho