Flesh VS Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The spirit helps overcome the flesh; by seeking God through prayer and supplications. Though no one will ever be perfect you can at least see here where the flesh can be held back by The spirit of Christ with-in you holds back the flesh though you have a choice to react in the flesh or the spirit.

This video above is a helpful resource tool to help explain the flesh vs the spirit, it is 12 minutes long if you can bear that long to watch.

Was using Galatians 5, if one would like to turn to that chapter and read aloud to themselves, they will learn a lot. The bible is so helpful to increase our faith and helps allow God to renew our mind and hearts.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The spirit helps overcome the flesh; by seeking God through prayer and supplications. Though no one will ever be perfect you can at least see here where the flesh can be held back by The spirit of Christ with-in you holds back the flesh though you have a choice to react in the flesh or the spirit.

This video above is a helpful resource tool to help explain the flesh vs the spirit, it is 12 minutes long if you can bear that long to watch.

Was using Galatians 5, if one would like to turn to that chapter and read aloud to themselves, they will learn a lot. The bible is so helpful to increase our faith and helps allow God to renew our mind and hearts.

Scripture says that once you have the indwelling Spirit you are not merely overcoming the flesh, you are freed from the flesh. Romans 8:1-9

Would Jesus tell us to be perfect if He wasn't making it possible while still alive?

Galatians 5:17 has a typo in it by translators. The "S" in spirit is not capitalized. Our spirit is our mind. It corresponds to Romans 7:25 when we were still under the law, just as Galatians 5:17 is referring to. If you walk in the Spirit you are not under the law.

Unfortunately, somewhere along the way you have received some doctrines of demons and you've believed a lie. Cleanse all doctrines from human reasoning, and their carnal life experience, and just study the Bible. Receive the supernatural power of Christ to be free from sin, and start maturing in all the fruit of the Spirit if you are seeking perfection. I know I am to be obedience to my Savior.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ancient

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes it is true, Jesus does set us free from the power of death and sin.

I do not see the spirit as our mind, but our Soul (having a mind/will/emotion), and we do have the spirit of man - which understands how things work on the earth through learning and having experience.

Thank you for sharing.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes it is true, Jesus does set us free from the power of death and sin.

I do not see the spirit as our mind, but our Soul (having a mind/will/emotion), and we do have the spirit of man - which understands how things work on the earth through learning and having experience.

Thank you for sharing.

Let me explain my belief further. I don't see that you explained what our spirit of man is or does. Open your mind for this as it is scriptural and not just from human reasoning.

We know by Ezek. 36:26 that when we are born again God gives us a new heart and a new spirit. "26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27 I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.

Those are two distinct substances in a triune being. The only part of us left to die is the part that does not cause sin in a believer that is freed from sin - our body. It is the only thing left to die because of Adam's sin.

I see them as our soul and spirit. Or as our heart/emotions and mind. This is why we call "the blues" as soul music. It is our heart/emotions. That leaves what changes in our spirit? 1 Corinthians 2:16 says we have the mind of Christ. That is our new spirit.

The combination of our spirit/mind and our soul/heart (emotions) is called our nature. As in 2 Peter 1:2-4 we see that we now partake of the divine nature of God. The reason why I connect the spirit with the mind is scriptural, because of the verses on the law. Romans 7:25 calls it the mind. Galatians 5:17 with the correct small "s" is our human spirit but the corrupted one without the Spirit. Thus the mind/spirit - Romans 7:25/Galatians 5:17

Yes, we have a human nature, but not what happened to it as soon as Adam sinned that is the common human nature of the unsaved. We have the human nature, free from sin that Adam was created with. It is called our free will, but it is righteous as it was at first. This is why as in 1 John 5:18 we cannot sin, but with our righteous free will we KEEP ourselves and want to make right choices. From there we mature the fruit of the Spirit so we can not only be without sin, but mature to perfection.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me explain my belief further. I don't see that you explained what our spirit of man is or does. Open your mind for this as it is scriptural and not just from human reasoning.

We know by Ezek. 36:26 that when we are born again God gives us a new heart and a new spirit. "26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27 I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.

Those are two distinct substances in a triune being. The only part of us left to die is the part that does not cause sin in a believer that is freed from sin - our body. It is the only thing left to die because of Adam's sin.

I see them as our soul and spirit. Or as our heart/emotions and mind. This is why we call "the blues" as soul music. It is our heart/emotions. That leaves what changes in our spirit? 1 Corinthians 2:16 says we have the mind of Christ. That is our new spirit.

The combination of our spirit/mind and our soul/heart (emotions) is called our nature. As in 2 Peter 1:2-4 we see that we now partake of the divine nature of God. The reason why I connect the spirit with the mind is scriptural, because of the verses on the law. Romans 7:25 calls it the mind. Galatians 5:17 with the correct small "s" is our human spirit but the corrupted one without the Spirit. Thus the mind/spirit - Romans 7:25/Galatians 5:17

Yes, we have a human nature, but not what happened to it as soon as Adam sinned that is the common human nature of the unsaved. We have the human nature, free from sin that Adam was created with. It is called our free will, but it is righteous as it was at first. This is why as in 1 John 5:18 we cannot sin, but with our righteous free will we KEEP ourselves and want to make right choices. From there we mature the fruit of the Spirit so we can not only be without sin, but mature to perfection.

Hello Lady,

Understood, as long as one choose to abide in Christ they will choose to do what is right, and not choose to what is wrong by the fleshly nature.

That is all I personally know, in this life people who indwelled by the Holy Spirit of God, and the Spirit of Christ, have a choice every day, to react either in the flesh, or by the spirit.

Thank you for taking time to share your understanding further.

Reactions: Ancient and Pearl

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Lady,

Understood, as long as one choose to abide in Christ they will choose to do what is right, and not choose to what is wrong by the fleshly nature.

That is all I personally know, in this life people who indwelled by the Holy Spirit of God, and the Spirit of Christ, have a choice every day, to react either in the flesh, or by the spirit.

Thank you for taking time to share your understanding further.

The emphasis that I want you to see is that the doctrine of demons that Christians also sin is false. No one with sin still in them which makes us unrighteous will enter heaven. What we've been taught by human rationalists is a lie. The truth changed after the last apostle and started with the RCC, but continued even in the Reformation.

1 Jhn 3:9 Jesus takes away our sin.

Reactions: Pearl

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
to react either in the flesh, or by the spirit.

Where in scripture does a Christian still have their old fallen flesh at the same time they have their born again spirit?

Make sure you understand that light and darkness do not coexist. You seem to think we still have our old nature that many denominations agree with, but are wrong. Instead of man, refresh your mind with the Word of God ONLY.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not everyone sees the same, enjoy your relationship with Christ and the Father while you have the time to do so, one day we will die and leave this fleshly body and go on to where God is, in new spiritual bodies.

Do agree though yes, search the word of God and study it and you won’t need to ask questions you’ll know truth, may the Holy Spirit guide.

Thank you Lady.

Jesus said here in Matthew 26

40 Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Couldn’t you men keep watch with mefor one hour?” he asked Peter. 41 “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Last edited:

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
search the word of God and study it and you won’t need to ask questions you’ll know truth, may the Holy Spirit guide.

On the other hand Jesus said
"You hardly believe me when I tell you earthly things, so how would you believe me if I told you heavenly things?" (John 3:12)

so there are some things our puny human minds can never understand.
Jesus told the theological eggheads of his time-
"You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life." (John 5:39-40)

That's why Paul warned people to keep it simple-
"I am worried lest you be led astray from the simplicity of Christ" (2 Corinthians 11:3)

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where in scripture does a Christian still have their old fallen flesh at the same time they have their born again spirit?

Make sure you understand that light and darkness do not coexist. You seem to think we still have our old nature that many denominations agree with, but are wrong. Instead of man, refresh your mind with the Word of God ONLY.

One quick read of Romans 7 will put this hogwash to Rest...she’s been preaching this crappola for years....she preaches “Sinless Perfection” mainly due to an on- going Ignorance Of Hebrews 10....she thinks if she sins she is going to Hell, therefore she creates a Pretend World where she never Sins....News Flash! ..... she is like everybody else..... she has secret thoughts that would “ shame Hell “ itself.....Get real and try to understand the Grace That you reject....” Sinless “ people like you don’t need it of course....rejecting it can’t do you much harm I guess....

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The desire to make the right choices may be there but that doesn’t mean we always get it right. How do you define the reality that In life we mess up sometimes , well I know I do , has wrong thoughts ( which Jesus addresses in the sermon on the mount ) which I know I have……..
Now I may be cleansed and washed clean, God may see me as I am through Jesus , but in this world , before others I mess up still.
It sounds as if you never go wrong , never have a bad thought about another person and that every single action is in line with what God desires. That would surely make you perfect already……….
Not having a dig, just trying to work out how you never mess up as a human being in this world !

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The desire to make the right choices may be there but that doesn’t mean we always get it right. How do you define the reality that In life we mess up sometimes , well I know I do , has wrong thoughts ( which Jesus addresses in the sermon on the mount ) which I know I have……..
Now I may be cleansed and washed clean, God may see me as I am through Jesus , but in this world , before others I mess up still.
It sounds as if you never go wrong , never have a bad thought about another person and that every single action is in line with what God desires. That would surely make you perfect already……….
Not having a dig, just trying to work out how you never mess up as a human being in this world !

Rita, I may live my life without willful sinning, but I am far from perfect. Those are two different things, and I see by your wording that I've highlighted, you have been taught that the Father cannot see our sins we willfully commit through the blood of His Son. IOW, we are not really still cleansed and washed clean in our actions; we are still full of sin, but God can't see them through the blood? Is that correct? Answer this for clarification, and then we can continue if you like of what I see in scripture.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Rita, I may live my life without willful sinning, but I am far from perfect. Those are two different things, and I see by your wording that I've highlighted, you have been taught that the Father cannot see our sins we willfully commit through the blood of His Son. IOW, we are not really still cleansed and washed clean in our actions; we are still full of sin, but God can't see them through the blood? Is that correct? Answer this for clarification, and then we can continue if you like of what I see in scripture.
Oh I am not sure , which I know sounds strange but it’s only recently that I have begun to realise that I absorbed what I was taught when I first came to faith ( I was part of a church denomination that was not open to the Holy Spirit as I eventually came to understand and believe ) Ok I know that I still mess up, however I also know that I can stand in the presence of God because of what Christ has done, through his redemption. I know that I am ‘ In Christ ‘ …..I don’t always understand fully how it all fits together though !!
( if I being honest ) I have a very simple faith , so I realise that may be weird that I don’t grasp everything xx

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh I am not sure , which I know sounds strange but it’s only recently that I have begun to realise that I absorbed what I was taught when I first came to faith ( I was part of a church denomination that was not open to the Holy Spirit as I eventually came to understand and believe ) Ok I know that I still mess up, however I also know that I can stand in the presence of God because of what Christ has done, through his redemption. I know that I am ‘ In Christ ‘ …..I don’t always understand fully how it all fits together though !!
( if I being honest ) I have a very simple faith , so I realise that may be weird that I don’t grasp everything xx

Yes, it is a shame that there are so many denominations that don't actually grasp how we obtain the Holy Spirit, nor the reason we MUST have Him to be saved.

Romans 8:1-9 (NKJV)
There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

Rita. Make sure you are reading a New King James Version, or a King James Version to have all of the scriptures. Many modern versions do not have important words in them and because of those deletions that they falsely call "additions" there are false doctrines based on just those remaining words. For instance, there are liberal doctrines like the ones you've heard without acknowledgement of the Spirit, based on the partial verses they read out of context.

Like the modern versions that only say in verse one. Compare to above
"There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus."

that leaves off: "who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit."

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have many versions of scripture, one is KJV, but on reading the history of that version, even king james didn’t like some of the words and changed a few himself.
I came to faith reading the NIV , Ephesians chapter one. ……..it was a night that brought me to tears and on my knees…….The Holy Spirit has used many versions over the 40 years since that moment. It was The Holy Spirit that gradually opened my eyes to question what I believed as truth compared to what the denomination believed. I have always compared versions when I study.
Rita

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One quick read of Romans 7 will put this hogwash to Rest...she’s been preaching this crappola for years....she preaches “Sinless Perfection” mainly due to an on- going Ignorance Of Hebrews 10....she thinks if she sins she is going to Hell, therefore she creates a Pretend World where she never Sins....News Flash! ..... she is like everybody else..... she has secret thoughts that would “ shame Hell “ itself.....Get real and try to understand the Grace That you reject....” Sinless “ people like you don’t need it of course....rejecting it can’t do you much harm I guess....

I see you still believe Romans 7 is about Christians still in the flesh. But read it again. I know you love to take verses 14-25 which about life under the law and apply it to Christians. So lets start earlier and see the context.

Romans 7:5-13. "when we were in the flesh" is talking about a time prior to Christ, namely being under the Ten Commandments since Moses.

5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

Sin’s Advantage in the Law

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” 8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead. 9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me. 12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

Law Cannot Save from Sin

13 Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful.

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have many versions of scripture, one is KJV, but on reading the history of that version, even king james didn’t like some of the words and changed a few himself.
I came to faith reading the NIV , Ephesians chapter one. ……..it was a night that brought me to tears and on my knees…….The Holy Spirit has used many versions over the 40 years since that moment. It was The Holy Spirit that gradually opened my eyes to question what I believed as truth compared to what the denomination believed. I have always compared versions when I study.
Rita

NIV is a modern version, but even so can lead you to Christ which I'm happy for your sake. Let me know if you have any questions. Some verses you should almost memorize are Romans 6:1-23. Romans 8:1-9. 2 Peter 1:2-11 and 1 John 3:1-24. Those should keep you away from the liberal doctrines of some denominations.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am no longer a part of any denomination, haven’t been for about 8 years now……..
I don’t consider it was the NIV that led me to Christ, that was down to the Holy Spirit, the Ephesians chapter was just used to speak to me that night, I had been seeking for many months after randomly feeling a need to go to church one Sunday…….The Lord called me, although the church had been praying for the mums of the playgroup children prior to that random prompt. Circumstances and events had knitted together to lead me to that church playgroup, only things I saw after I came to faith. Despite eventually leaving that denomination they were definitely used by the Lord, I still class them as my brothers and sisters. They will always be part of my testimony.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am no longer a part of any denomination, haven’t been for about 8 years now……..
I don’t consider it was the NIV that led me to Christ, that was down to the Holy Spirit, the Ephesians chapter was just used to speak to me that night, I had been seeking for many months after randomly feeling a need to go to church one Sunday…….The Lord called me, although the church had been praying for the mums of the playgroup children prior to that random prompt. Circumstances and events had knitted together to lead me to that church playgroup, only things I saw after I came to faith. Despite eventually leaving that denomination they were definitely used by the Lord, I still class them as my brothers and sisters. They will always be part of my testimony.

I can't recall any words missing in Ephesians. I've highlighted all the words that are missing in the modern versions in my Bible. NKJV