Food for thought

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The White Wolf

Dec 18, 2008
As a young student interested in Philosophical and Theological points of view one thing has pondered my mind when Evangelicals, Fundelmentals, and others bring up the argument that "We are not to trust man's word but God's." God's word meaning the bible. This phrase has really bothered me due to the fact that I feel it is deconstructive. If were not to trust in man then that means we can not trust ourselves because we are man is well. If this is so the case then how can we trust our own opinion and faith in the bible if the bible tells us not to trust the word of man when we ourselves are man. I am not questioning my faith or anyone else's this is a topic open for everyone to think about. It is merely something pondering my mind.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This phrase has really bothered me due to the fact that I feel it is deconstructive. If were not to trust in man then that means we can not trust ourselves because we are man is well. If this is so the case then how can we trust our own opinion and faith in the bible if the bible tells us not to trust the word of man when we ourselves are man.
Though I cannot (obviously) answer for all, the idea behind the phrase for me is that any good Christian should check up on what he or she is being taught or told. Scripture serves as that sort of mark of approval. Hence the reason Christ said that you'll know them by their fruit (Matthew 7:16); compare it with Scripture and if it matches up then you're in good company. The idea being that you'll correctly ultimately go to God for everything.

Matthew

Jan 24, 2009
We are not to trust man's word but God's - True.If were not to trust in man then that means we cannot trust ourselves - True.how can we trust our own opinion - We can't.Faith is not a matter of opinion or ideas. Faith comes from God's word and the work of the Holy Spirit within us quite apart from man and his opinions.So because we cannot trust man it does not follow that we cannot trust God and his word.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
"Lo I come in the volume of the book" ...Everything must be weighed against the Word the more you study and learn his words the more wisdom he gives one If you just accept what any man says without proving it out ..you will stumble men lie some are just plain mislead some just by honest mistake.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
(The White Wolf;68786)
... when Evangelicals, Fundelmentals, and others bring up the argument that "We are not to trust man's word but God's." ....
When they say this, they are actually saying, "We are not to trust other men's words, but you can trust our interpretation of God's Word." I would also ask, "Which 'men', interpreted the version of Scripture you are using? And if your interpretation of the Bible is the correct one, why is there so much disagreement among Evangelicals, and Fundamentalists, and others? Is God the author of confusion?" Does the Holy Spirit tell one group one thing and another group another? Or is it a different spirit.

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
(Christina;68813)
"Lo I come in the volume of the book" ...Everything must be weighed against the Word the more you study and learn his words the more wisdom he gives one If you just accept what any man says without proving it out ..you will stumble men lie some are just plain mislead some just by honest mistake.
"Lo I come in the volume of the book"What book was in existance when this was said?The Holy Spirit is at work in the world today and He (the Holy Spirit) draws men/women to Jesus. He (the Holy Spirit) lives in the children of God and He is also the teacher of the children of God.Many religious people teach but are they children of God? Hard to tell. Even the Angels have difficulty in knowing who they are. See the parable about the Tares.In the end a person can only trust (have faith) in God's love for them and that He (God) has made a way to save them through His Son Jesus Christ. Trust in Him.Richard

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
(RichardBurger;68821)
"Lo I come in the volume of the book"What book was in existance when this was said?...
The Word. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." Joh 1:1