For a believer what does it mean to rightly divide the Word?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
The Bible tells us there is just ONE Truth and this means there is just One Word of truth and his name is Jesus. We are told not to turn to the left or the right but to look straight ahead at THE WORD that was and must be exalted UP in the earth.
The Word of God is as a two-edged sWord and has two sides to it yet is the same Word of Truth.

I do not mean that the Word is double minded. I mean that there is a natural meaning for the carnal man's eyes to read and understand that pertains to our flesh man that any one can understand.

But then there is a spiritual understanding that only comes from the Spirit opening up our spiritual eyes to see the mysteries of God for His truth.. hence the term RIGHTLY DIVIDE THE WORD.
God's Word is a Book of mysteries for those who seek, ask, knock and find as they seek GOD to reveal His Son unto us. God needs for us to obtain our spiritual eyesight so that we can See what the Word is trying to tell us, that the lost world with carnal eyes can NEVER SEE.
Jesus said:
Matt 13:11-18
11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.
17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

Here is a hint of how to find the mysteries:
18 Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower.
KJV

You must read what the Seed of the sower is

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The letters Paul wrote to Timothy and Titus are what's known as pastoral
epistles because the instructions within them pertain mostly to church
officers-- e.g. preachers, deacons, and elders; et al --rather than rank and
file pew warmers; so my response will be in accordance with that.

†. 2Tim 2:15 . . Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker
who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

The term "rightly dividing" is translated from the koiné Greek word
orthotomeo (or-thot-om-eh'-o) which means to make a straight cut (as
opposed to a crooked cut). Paul was a blue collar guy. In his trade making
tents, inaccurately cut pieces of material would result in a distorted shelter
when the pieces were sewn together. Some blue collar guys aren't all
that conscientious and take very little pride in their workmanship; they just
want to get things done-- down and dirty, and over with. But God doesn't
want the people managing His son's church to bring that kind of work ethic to
Bible teaching. He won't, and He doesn't, accept it. What we're talking about
here is skill, care, and attention to detail as opposed to haste and carelessness;
for example:

One of my Sunday school teachers some years back supported himself as a
maintenance man at an indoor swimming pool facility. One Saturday night
he had to work very late in order to complete a repair. As a result, he didn't
have time to prepare a lesson so he just threw something together to get by
on Sunday morning. Well; I wish he had called in sick because what he threw
together was so sub standard that we might just as well have discussed the
Angry Birds that morning as discussed the Bible. Well; I'm sorry but that's
unacceptable-- it's hasty, it's careless, it's sloppy, and it's shameful.

Buen Camino
/

ajdiamond

Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota
2 Tim 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

A few words are very interesting in that verse. The word 'study' is unfortunate because it carries the sense of a student doing homework and so we deduce that this verse has something to do with studying the bible. The Greek word spoudazō was otherwise translated in the NT as endeavour, do diligence, be diligent, give diligence and labour.

Study (diligently endeavour)

approved (geniune, non-counterfeit) (this term has to do with non-counterfeit money)

rightly dividing (to make a path straight and smooth) (so, it's not about dividing the word; it's about making a straight smooth path (in you) for the word)